• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Peace! - September 1445

10nxt35.jpg

Yes BB is rather high (19.53 / 26.00) but Portugal has gone and I’ve nearly a month before my truce with Burgundy ends. War exhaustion is a regrettable 10.40 but with BB this high I do have a chance to reduce it before starting another war. The WE does mean I have revolt risk in cored right culture/right religion provinces.

Drat! Somewhat unfortunate but that’s how we roll.

27zzs0g.jpg

By the end of the year Burgundy is involved in a war against Imperial Bavaria and various Germans while Castile (with Scotland) is butting heads with Aragon. The breathing space is looking promising! That said if Burgundy does get chewed up badly they’ve a core I could take while I‘ve still got the vassalisation CB on Scotland. Bavaria calls me in January 1446 and I decline. Accepting their alliance offer had always been opportunistic, this wasn’t the opportunity I wanted.

While I’ve got a quiet moment lets take a look around.

Map of 1446

34qli4m.jpg

The Horde is doing a reasonable job on Eastern Europe. The trick is to start hitting them around the time the Latins get a tech edge. In my test game I drove from the Caucasus to Archangel, unfortunately Prussia (ex-TO) also went postal on the Horde and reached as far as Moscow and Kiev. Nasty late game wars before I got my Trade 6 building spam going - they had a 450k army and a 15 level Land Tech advantage.

The Economy

iql8qt.jpg

Neighbour bonus is already noticeable, I’ve a lot of low contribution provinces although trade isn’t too bad as I have five merchants in each of my three COTs.

Ideas and Sliders

73nz2t.jpg

Nothing special going on here yet. Free Subjects, Narrowminded and Mercantilist are the likely options near term.

I keep it peaceful for a couple of years until December 1447.

b6tv6r.jpg

Nice, not only is the new King Diplo 8 so is the heir! Boundary disputes please. He also reduces WE at 0.06 a month up from 0.04, not a lot but every little helps.

11lmyhh.jpg

By April 1449 BB is down to 13.45 / 28.00 falling at 1.8 points a year. War exhaustion is 4.61 and the army is up to 57,000. I’ve CBs against three countries, Scotland to vassalise, Burgundy for a core and the Mamluks for both a core and Holy War. The CB against Scotland doesn’t last forever…

k56h6e.jpg

Annoying set of allies but at least Burgundy and Castile are already caught up in wars. And yes that is a Danish siege of Edinburgh; because the best time to kick a man is when he’d down! Everyone joins in and Scotland quickly peaces out against it’s other foes so I should have a clear run - assuming I can storm a couple of forts before the ‘Highlanders’ event starts spawning new Scottish armies out of nowhere.

Scotland is vassalised in September; no screenshot due to operator error. I white peace alliance leader Castile a few weeks later.

War with the Mamluks - September 1450

313q81e.jpg

Right, lets get back to the all important business of smiting heathens. At the moment my naval range in the Med is coastal waters of my provinces as my nearest core is Gascony and my supply range only reaches Gibraltar! This is tricky since I plan to land in Alexandria - along with Cairo it’s about the only Mamluk province with any sort of supply limit.

February 1451

2hhi2zb.jpg

Annoying timing. There’s nothing I can take in the peace deal since I’ve no cores on France now. France is forced to make peace within months as a small stack is wiped and Lyons occupied. I gain 25 ducats and force them to renounce their claim on Paris (insert your own Casablanca joke). The war against the Mamluks goes quite well for the first couple of years until they finally bring their cavalry heavy main stacks (around 30k) to the party. At this point my horse are hopelessly outclassed - with a Shock 5 general against a no general force of about the same size I can just about hold my ground. This is just the usual business of early Latin Horse being rubbish.

By October 1452 I’m in danger of being stack wiped in Cairo so I make peace.

5os2dl.jpg

War exhaustion is only 4.03 and Aragon has finally got a decisive result against Castile.

Last edited:
Nicely done, Iberia is nearly locked down and some good progress in North Africa. Fingers crossed for some core events.

Nice job in gobbling up Portugal and eliminating that threat. Keep that up with the rest of the western powers and you will indeed keep your promise of making the New World your own personal backyard. I agree with morningSIDEr about keeping the fingers crossed for some core events to continue fueling your expansion. If they don't pop up, I'm sure you'll come up with something to keep your war machine rolling.

If I remember correctly, getting a cored province during a holy war (not renquest) still takes 1 bb? I don't have DW, so I don't know, but if I am right by any chance, would it not be better to leave the cored province in the Mamelukes realm untill you go to war specifically to get it?

Also, any plans of biting te infamy bullet and taking the French province to link your two parts of French holdings? (3 and 4 on the map you made)

And I rather like the fact that you did not post a screenshot of the war with Scotland... it looked kick-ass veni vidi vici style :D

Last edited:
Ah so you decided to annex Portugal... makes sense, since it buys you some time whilst burning BB&WE.

Can't you raise some muslim cavs in North Africa or is that gamey? Anyway, those Mamluks are doing surprisingly well if they managed to endanger your forces!

Century Gothic 3 looks fine for me, Prawn. Sorry I couldn't answer earlier. :)

Hmm, looks like you'll be almost out of infamy when the Mamluk truce runs out. It'll be interesting to see who your next target is considering the lack of borders with infidels for Holy War. Limiting a colonizer again?

Looking very good with the king and the heir.

I'm sort of lurking in this thread to see what kind of good strategies could be done to WC with England.

What kind of BB-minimization strategy would be effective with England in DW?
I see that you went with Holy War to get the juicy CB against heathens, but what about the continental countries?

What's the best use for magistrates, early on, as well as later on when you get your colonies up?
I was thinking about using magistrates to build naval production facilities, docks, drydocks, shipyards - which would boost England's naval force limit, and Press Gangs- idea would make those ships cheap enough. I take it that the mercantilist England should probably develop the domestic CoTs heavily with trade and production buildings?

What forms of government are good for WC, I usually stay at Empire, but I guess it's not really that good of a form of government?

Catholic or Protestant? Or Reformed, but being calvinist just makes you a big target for bullying and forever alone in this game.

Great AAR btw, need updates and answers though :D