• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Little happens until the end of 1527 although Kazan is forced to concede defeat. After raising additional troops etc I’m now cash flow negative year on year and almost out of money in the treasury so minting will resume shortly.

300qt94.jpg

This shows one of the places the money is going, I’m also adding some barques and builing up another stack in the Balkans. I hope that once I’ve got the Horde pushed back to Perm (i.e. the long proposed stop line) I’ll need fewer troops in that area as time reduces nationalism and conversions work through. By January 1528 it’s time again to start adding BB with simultaneous DOWs on the Ottomans and Persia. In both cases I use Holy War - with English cored Luristan being inland I may be able to work Persia’s capital into a zero BB annex. Persia fights alone while the Ottomans are part of a Brunei led coalition along with Kashmir. I’m expecting warfare in East Africa as I’ve previously seen Brunei’s troops fighting in Mutapa.

The Timurids return to the fray in February to turn Anatolia into even more of a mess. They aren’t in a TSC not sure why I previously thought they were although they do have quite a few rebels popping up.

2ikdu05.jpg

A lot of currently unanswerable questions here. I could do with pushing straight East from Iraq but I don’t want anyone else to grab all those potentially BB free provinces to the West. No decisions needed for a while so I’ll play it by ear.

Peace with Persia - August 1528

15p1wty.jpg

Another province pushed eastwards - I’d like to discover the new TI without having to march into it.

Peace with the Ottomans - September 1528

sn08zq.jpg

Hopfully they’ll survive a few years before forming an easily digestible snack in the mid 1530s. Brunei accepts white peace soon after to leave me at war with the Golden Horde and the Timurids.

BB is now 9.72 / 24.00 falling at 2.10 points a year.

March 1529 - Land 18 one of the key levels. I plan to go Maurician as soon as I can work an opportunity! Always change on the last day of a month so you spend less time with zero morale troops - safer as there’s less opportunity for your stacks to get wiped by either enemies or rebels.

157cj9y.jpg

Mid-summer 1530

2zhmjjr.jpg

Untroubled progress against the Timurids, my Land 18 armies swat aside their Land 5 forces. I’m now looking at pushing into TI.

War with Mali - July 1530

23iy0qv.jpg

Very straightforward, I need to start adding West African BB - I’m concerned I’ll run out of Holy War targets in the next couple of decades. There’s no screaming urgency here I intend to gain war score by letting Mali’s stacks come to me and hammering them. Yemen is quickly peaced out for a few ducats by storming the capital while my best general invades the Malian coastal provinces.

November and a very interesting pop-up!

mhbznd.jpg

Not something I’ve seen before.

June 1531 Boundary dispute with Aragon

ou0end.jpg

By the start of 1532 BB is under three so I buy Brunei out of my war with Mali. War score jumps from 23 to 42 - a bit better for grabbing some BB. This war, much like the ongoing slow-mo invasion of the Timurids and the skirmishing with the Horde, is utterly dull.

Nogai reappears in May 1532 just after I pick up three points of inflation through the ever popular corruption event. It only takes weeks to peace them out again. Kazan returns late in the year and the Timurids have a tribal succession crisis. Now a TSC when you’ve seven settlements running in that country is not entirely comfortable…

I keep my ruler once again at the start of 1533, can’t waste Diplo 9. BB is very low now down to 0.80 / 24.00 falling at 2.10 a year but I’m ready for peace with Mali I just want to get my unit’s a bit closer to home to avoid too much attrition.

Peace with Mali - March 1533

16jhsv4.jpg

By May it’s time to try a little plan…

But before that here’s the Timurid Empire

2vk0sh4.jpg

"Try a little plan" sounds interesting. :D Nicely done against Mali, you got pretty far into the TI in one conflict. The Holy War situation looked worrying indeed before opening that front.

Well, with Bohemia down all we need to do is sit and watch as the world becomes your playground! No one is left to challenge English supremacy! :)

but...DAT BRUNEI! :eek: It is a shame that they will never westernize tough...it would be interesting :p

Only 6 provinces from Mali.You do control map spread and can start colonies on the cost, should you wish once TI has revealed the adjacent provinces. That would make 5 wars and provide wriggle room for Holy wars. May 153 is too early for wars against the Ottomans and Persia. You like to commit to 5 wars at once - Durrani, Khorasan, Mentese (allow to take 1 Timurid province, but not two), Oman and Aragon. But before attacking Aragon et al, diploannex Castille. Then DoW Aragon, take Aragon, force release Castille and Savoy and then offer them vassilization. Aragon, the country, would then be the right size to make a vassal in the next war - perhaps with a nice shiny subjugation mission. One of those against France would be fine. Wars against the Ottomans and Persia would start later in the year.

1 boundary dispute in 5 years is a pretty poor return for a DIP 9 leader -really pathetic in fact. What is your current mission? Where are your armies and what size are they? How many fleets do you have and where are they based and what's their composition? How close are you to the next NI?

Last edited:
Very impressed with your progress. Even after reading your previous AARs, in respect of both your abilities to do the unthinkable and your propensity for nailbiting finishes, I think this one is going quite well.

A lot of currently unanswerable questions here. I could do with pushing straight East from Iraq but I don’t want anyone else to grab all those potentially BB free provinces to the West. No decisions needed for a while so I’ll play it by ear.
This is what I wanted to know. From your initial settlement targets it looks like you're trying to seal off the Mediterranean seaboard and everything east of that. Should be doable. Three provinces from English Syria to English Turkey. Two from English Turkey to English Caucasus. I'd be interested to know the depth of Timurid Persia - how many provinces before the next Holy War target?

How many of the 'original' CoTs have survived? You own Fars (I think) and can see Hormuz, are they target high value provinces to help prop up the economy. I think you'll need to keep the Timmes occupied to prevent other nations revolting away while you settle. Mali look to have consolodated Africa which is nice for you, less wars needed and less bb from annexion.

How far do you think you can get before 1650?

Also, what's your plan for taking out Europe? Which CB?

Imperialism, Cleansing of the Heresy, and Revolutionary War (end game) I would presume.

Cool trick with Luristan, I was wondering what you were getting at with the 0 BB annex.

As Chief Ragusa mention, war dec Mentese as soon as they get one province from the Timmies.

I think the best way of handling the Timmies would be to close off the coasts of the Mediterranean and Black Seas, at the same time connecting your holdings, then push east from your eastern most provinces (as it looks like your starting to do) for connections to other Holy war targets and for borders on the TI to start clearing it up. Then just keep forging connection to more holy war targets, and when you can spare colonists slowly gobble up the Middle East. Did you reach your goal against the GH, or do you still need colonists there to get to it?

Out of curiosity how many colonists do you gain a year?

But before attacking Aragon et al, diploannex Castille. Then DoW Aragon, take Aragon, force release Castille and Savoy and then offer them vassilization. Aragon, the country, would then be the right size to make a vassal in the next war - perhaps with a nice shiny subjugation mission.

Might that be on the cheesy side?

FEEDBACK​

Selenimar - Nah, it'll be Ming, it's always Ming.

Malurous - I was surprised how far I got with Mali, my memories are that invading West Africa was a real grind with dreadful attrition - didn't work that way this time.

loki100 - I expect it'll revolt back but nice to see Brunei holding on. I often see them do really well then provoke Ming and get owned.

The Arch Mede - The Timmies aren't going to take anything in Anatolia - they can't even make it to Persia anymore. Looks like I'll finish Mentese old skool.

Duke of Britain - Bohemia ain't down, nowhere close to down.

Chief Ragusa - Six provinces from Mali was 90+ war score, it's a fair grind to push all the way across Wes Africa. There's still BB to take before I get to India but I'm through the Timurids - that last map shows the Timmie border in the East! Mentese hasn't colonised - I don't think OPMs have the money - but yes if they did I would let them take one province - same BB and saves me a colonist. I make some pretty reasonable progress in Iberia and Persia.

Boundary disputes - that gets better, well kind of. Current mission is to convert a random bit of the Arabian peninsula, missionary running takes as long as it takes. Armies are over 200k but the cutting edge is barely 30,000 strong on the Timurid frontier. Fleet is mainly transports as previous plus a load of light ships to help tariffs.

Barsoom - I'm planning on settling everything West of modern Afghanistan as a minimum for this war. The TI in Eastern Persia is non-Timurid - can't explore there during war time.

dragonizer - Khorastan? Within the next twenty years or so.

Dauth - I think only Lisbon of the original COTs has gone, I'm gunning for Fars and Hormouz. Nothing will help the economy LOL - I can keep piling on the pain, more troops, more ships, more colonies, more missionaries etc.

Floodturka - The plan/expectation was southern China butr I've never encountered a blobbed Hindustan so I'm not sure tbh.

Bamboozle - Yes Europe will be Imperialism and Revolutionary CBs in the main. Timmies will be a long war - all the way to Afghanistan minimum. I'm up to 4.15 colonists a year and I'm nearly finished against the Horde.

homy_dog34 - Thanks - now I have to read stuff LOL

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

The plan isn’t terribly clever - I just need to get troops onto Zanzibar so I’ll intercept the Omani squadron patrolling near Zanzibar at the start of the war. Oman itself is easy enough to get to.

2labh2a.jpg

Colonial Ventures - July 1533

10elys7.jpg

My 6* diplomat barely makes it a decade before dying; widely considered a disgrace to the service. So I hire a new one. Obviously.

2vsltzq.jpg

Oman is annexed in February 1534

2i1ms6p.jpg

Midsummer I get a Boundary dispute on Horde Samara, I hoped for better when I saw the pop-up.

vrd1xw.jpg

A month later I get the same event fire one province north and core on Horde Kazan - also undergoing settlement.

September and I attack Aragon for my core on the province of Aragon. They are in trouble in several wars with no fleet and being invaded by Milan. Their allies are also weak or struggling.

1z6fas7.jpg

It only takes two months to liberate Aragon by storming Sicilian Thrace and Aragonese Leon and Barcelona. I won a couple of battles along the way.

January 1535 Cherson cores, the first province taken in the great war to push back the Horde. That’s the same war I’m still fighting…

By April 1535 BB is down to 4.23 / 24.00 falling at 2.00. Let’s push that back up by annexing Castile.

1nz0qe.jpg

But don’t worry fight fans I also DOW Persia…

219ozo1.jpg

Even as Persia’s army dies in August I get another Boundary Dispute - this time with HRE member Croatia.

10cl1sg.jpg

Game over Prince of Persia

5ahocp.jpg

Don’t you just love religious defectors…

11azotd.jpg

Mid 1537 and Bohemia is caught up fighting various Imperial minors, time to grab that core from Croatia. I’m also the best part of a year from the next series of Holy Wars.

x26h6d.jpg

Bohemia dishonours the call to arms! Sweet, I’ll get the province quickly and easily while Bohemia has the dishonourable Emperor tag. Not sure what that means but sounds unpleasant. Dalmatia is gained in September

r1wyz4.jpg

March 1538 and the truce with Mali ends so I can start another round of Holy Wars…

Durrani

2dtwr4g.jpg

Mali

35lupvd.jpg

The Ottomans

9zx2er.jpg

BB is 4.94 / 24.00 falling at 2.20 a year.

Keep on glomping, PrawnStar. After all, you were prawn under a conquering stAAR! :D

Yay, an update already! :D Quite cool that you're pretty much able to walk to India already. Things are looking up.

Malurous - I was surprised how far I got with Mali, my memories are that invading West Africa was a real grind with dreadful attrition - didn't work that way this time.

Yeah, that's my experience too. Can you think of anything you did different this time around?

India! The Source of all Holy Wars since 1399! (until 1650 or China is reached - Batteries not included).

Good to see that you can keep up with getting new holy war targets.... :)

Didn't realize you were that close to non-Timmie territory in the east. That should mean you don't run out of Holy War targets anytime soon. I do hope you out-tech Hindustan, even with the penalties from overexpansion.

What's up with those Horde territories you got cores on? Is colonial range calculated from your nearest core? (I haven't played DW.) When do you expect it them to get into range and will you spare the colonists or do you need them for the Timmies first?