• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Give away holdings. You can only efficiently rule over so-and-so many holdings, so if you have too many, you suffer penalties. One holding is a castle, a town or a temple. Your max demesne size is displayed in the top right corner.

To clarify - you can give them away to vassals so that they stay in your realm. You just can't own them directly.

To fix it, grant extra counties or baronies to courtiers until you fall below your limit.

To ignore the problem and make the notification go away, right click on it.

In the short term, either shrink your demesne by giving away some holdings, or improve your stewardship (by marrying/getting a better steward). In the long term, become a higher rank (each tier gets a demesne bonus), and research legalism.

Thanks, it seemed to fix itself when my character died and rule descended to my next heir. I'm kinda sceptical of giving away titles, since it leads to clingy vassals that revolt and refuse to return the title. Well at least in my experience.

Thanks, it seemed to fix itself when my character died and rule descended to my next heir. I'm kinda sceptical of giving away titles, since it leads to clingy vassals that revolt and refuse to return the title. Well at least in my experience.
So give them away to your heir :)

I had a little struggle with my heirs in the past couple decades. Right before I die, I managed to arrange an heir, then s/he dies and then I have no heir for my current person until they reach 16, but recently I have been making my dynasty healthy and plan to giving off titles to my heir.

The money you lose from having a too big demesne usually makes it worth it to depend on vassals. Managing the interior politics is part of the fun anyway.

Has anyone else noticed that in the notification, "Demense too big!" that Demense is spelled wrong?

Now that you've mentioned it, I did. :)

Depending on your succession type, you may not be able to give (more) provinces to your heir. Another good trick if you want make sure your heir gets the title back later is to give the title to an aged courtier (50yo+, the older the better) as long as they don't crank out children, which is unlikely, you are their heir. If they die before someone with a higher stewardship comes in, just rinse and repeat.

Again depending on your succession type, you might be able to give the title to a female courtier, which is very reliable if she's over 45.