• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why can I not invite my allies sometimes?

For example, I had an alliance with the King of Leon. When declaring war on a Muslim duke holding Galicia, I could not call for the king's aid--it's not that he didn't want to join, I didn't get the option to call him at all. He wasn't in any wars at the time, and did not have a truce with the duke in question.

Do you have a liege? You can't call independent rulers to war if you have a liege yourself.

Do you have a liege? You can't call independent rulers to war if you have a liege yourself.

I was independent, and he was independent. I don't think I called him to war, if I recall correctly I secured the alliance only shortly before going to war. In the list of allies, his name appeared in green after making peace, indicating he could be called, but it was red during the war.

If it was red, then it should say if you leave your mouse on the red for awhile why you can't call him (I.E same liege) if you an't call him and it is green, then I don't know what is the problem.

I have had absolute crown authority for 20 years now in a vain attempt to stop my vassals fighting each other just for 5 min so I can change the succession laws.
I know event and de jure wars are not stopped by crown authority laws. But is there any way to stop them?

Or a pop up to say "they have stopped" so I don't miss that 5 min window?

If it was red, then it should say if you leave your mouse on the red for awhile why you can't call him (I.E same liege) if you an't call him and it is green, then I don't know what is the problem.

I seem to remember it only saying "<name> can not join any wars you are in", but I'll reload that save and check it out.

It does reduce it and it seems that the death rate grows. The limit is 30. The limit is in defines.lua, though not what it actually does. So i don't know the details.

Na, thanks. I'll probably find that easily. Just never bothered to move my mouse over everything. Paradox GUI. :wacko::laugh:

Regarding the mysterious 58%, i still havent understood if we only get the levies of our direct vassals or it includes his vassals as well. If the latter, it might be that he doesnt get the necessary amount of troops from his vassals. Though since 1.07/LoR i'm confused i have to admit. Didn't dig into the files or checked levy numbers ingame.
Because i am a control freak, i prefer not to think about it. ;)

Um I'm quite sure nowadays after some patches we get troops of the direct vassals and his/hers vassals, but only relationship between our direct vassals and us defines how many levies we get.

Thanks for the help, I think I have now figured the problem - some of my vassals were de jure vassals of kingdom of Sweden rather than my kingdom of Norway, thus the crown laws of Sweden applied to them.

Um I'm quite sure nowadays after some patches we get troops of the direct vassals and his/hers vassals, but only relationship between our direct vassals and us defines how many levies we get.

Thanks, yup thats what the patch log said, but it was misunderstandable and i probably did misunderstand. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, I think I have now figured the problem - some of my vassals were de jure vassals of kingdom of Sweden rather than my kingdom of Norway, thus the crown laws of Sweden applied to them.

Oi, that answer was too simple to even take into consideration. ;)

Quick question; I've been away from CK II for almost a year, but have just re-addicted myself and picked up both SoI & LoR. I've noticed many awesome patch changes (de jure drift is awesome; glad they did that), but it also raises some new questions that I'm not clear on.

Currently I'm playing a muslim ruler on the Iberian Peninsula. I've noticed that when I use the Conquest CB the victory results (while admirably laid out beforehand) can vary between gaining the county itself, or becoming the liege of the current sheikh (count). My question is, what determines whether you gain the county holding for yourself or simply vassalize it? For example, I had two options for conquest both neighboring each other, both vassals of the same duchy (emirate), and neither were held by the duke (emir). One would result in my gaining the county; the other in vassalizing the county.

Only if the region is held by a count wich have only that region, he will begin your vassal.

Aha, that makes sense, thank you; I'll check when I get home later!

is it posible to hold 2 Empier`s ?i have Britanny and 80% od Spain how to create Spain Empire ?

Check a flag of any spanish county/duchy/kingdom, the box with the vassals below should show, on the upper hand you got the claimants and history tabs.
Below these is a dejure box, check this and some flags will show above it. One of these flags will be Hispania iirc. Check this.
Then move your mouse over the create button and its shows the necessary requirements.

Last edited:
Only if the region is held by a count wich have only that region, he will begin your vassal.

I checked and indeed that was the problem; one county was that count's only holding; the other county was one of two counties held by that character. Thanks!

Ok, another question now that I'm noticing things playing as a muslim: am I correct that choosing to release a prisoner from your dungeon doesn't actually provide a vassal opinion bonus? It seems the past few times I've done it there is no bonus when I check my vassal opinions.

EDIT: And yes, the tooltip/info box says I should get a bonus.

2nd EDIT: Ok, nevermind, I figured it out. Every time I tried it before I think it had to do with releasing a prisoner of a different religion. I just tried it with releasing a muslim/vassal I had imprisoned and I did indeed get the bonus. Can anyone confirm this?

3rd EDIT: Ok, maybe it's just for releasing imprisoned vassals/members of your own court. I've now captured some foreign muslims while at war and they don't appear to give the bonus if I release them from prison.

Last edited:
Afternoon peeps, been away from the game for a few months and I'm sure I've done this before but:

How the hell do I turn a Prince Bishopric back into a normal county? I invaded a couple of Polish provinces and one of them was already a Prince Bishopric, so at the moment I hold the PB title and have a Baron and Mayor in charge of the other two holdings. If I grant the county to the Baron he just uses the PB as his primary title. I want to be able to make it into a 'normal' county with the Barony/castle as the capital rather than the church.

Second question while I'm here: how do you handle giving out Dukedoms that are de jure outside your other titles? Currently King of Hungary and have pressed claims for some Dukedoms further East but would rather have a vassal ruling them. I know I can give them to current vassals of mine but that risks them becoming too powerful and is also quite untidy (I like Dukes to rule over their Dukedoms and as little else as possible in order to keep things easy to follow as well as keeping them fairly weak).

Afternoon peeps, been away from the game for a few months and I'm sure I've done this before but:

How the hell do I turn a Prince Bishopric back into a normal county? I invaded a couple of Polish provinces and one of them was already a Prince Bishopric, so at the moment I hold the PB title and have a Baron and Mayor in charge of the other two holdings. If I grant the county to the Baron he just uses the PB as his primary title. I want to be able to make it into a 'normal' county with the Barony/castle as the capital rather than the church.

Second question while I'm here: how do you handle giving out Dukedoms that are de jure outside your other titles? Currently King of Hungary and have pressed claims for some Dukedoms further East but would rather have a vassal ruling them. I know I can give them to current vassals of mine but that risks them becoming too powerful and is also quite untidy (I like Dukes to rule over their Dukedoms and as little else as possible in order to keep things easy to follow as well as keeping them fairly weak).

First question: the title of the county owner depends on the county's capital--if it's a church, you get a prince-bishopric. Obtain the barony for yourself, e.g. by revoking the baron's title, and then set the barony to be the capital instead of the church. That'll turn it back into a "normal" feudal province.

Second question: hand the dukedom to a family member who is in your court. I'm pretty sure the duchy would then stay within your realm, provided you are a king or emperor.

Will a Mongol invasion end if the current underage Khan has an unfortunate encounter with a special byzantine gift... you know, the usual: fancy poisoned daggers, snaked, exploding dung piles, ...