• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've always wondered this so thought I'd finally get round to asking.

Under the Military Tab, with the Vassals list showing. The number of troops indicated for any vassal, what makes up this number?
- Is it just their direct troops from the characters own personal Holdings?
- Is it just their direct troops from the characters own realm (e.g. Their Holdings plus their Barons/Cities/Bishops of their Counties)
- Is it the troops from them and all their vassals (counts, dukes, etc)?

For example, I have the King of France as my bitch, I use France as my "Prince of Wales" so its my son who is the King of France while I am the Emperor of Brittania (that way it can never really get out of hand, since the Kingdom of France is by far the most powerful Kingdom I rule over, and if my heir is the King then who cares if he rebels). If I click that button, will I then raise all the possible troops that could be raised from France?

Or if I went to the counties of France individually and clicked the "raise all" button, would that net me more?

A few quick questions surrounding the Papal State:-

1) Is it possible to have a heretic pope spawned? I had all the provinces of the Papal State converted to a Catholic heresy; yet the pope and the new bishops that get invested are all mainstream Catholics.

2) As a Papal State vassal, the same happens to my own new bishops and mayors that come up - the whole realm is Catholic heretic, all of my own vassals are Catholic heretic, so why do the new governors of my cities and bishoprics not also heretics? Surely I can force a conversion upon them; yet it becomes problematic if they have the zealous trait. I had a game as Monophysite Abyssinia and I don't recall seeing mainstream Orthodox characters popping up in my realm.

I've always wondered this so thought I'd finally get round to asking.

Under the Military Tab, with the Vassals list showing. The number of troops indicated for any vassal, what makes up this number?
- Is it just their direct troops from the characters own personal Holdings?
- Is it just their direct troops from the characters own realm (e.g. Their Holdings plus their Barons/Cities/Bishops of their Counties)
- Is it the troops from them and all their vassals (counts, dukes, etc)?

For example, I have the King of France as my bitch, I use France as my "Prince of Wales" so its my son who is the King of France while I am the Emperor of Brittania (that way it can never really get out of hand, since the Kingdom of France is by far the most powerful Kingdom I rule over, and if my heir is the King then who cares if he rebels). If I click that button, will I then raise all the possible troops that could be raised from France?

Or if I went to the counties of France individually and clicked the "raise all" button, would that net me more?

I think it represents their overall strength and thus should include all the troops they themselves and their own vassals have. Yet the numbers do not correspond to the troops you'll get - depending on your laws and how much they like you, you'll likely only get a fraction of that number.

I think it represents their overall strength and thus should include all the troops they themselves and their own vassals have. Yet the numbers do not correspond to the troops you'll get - depending on your laws and how much they like you, you'll likely only get a fraction of that number.

Yeah I noticed that. So I should use this number as the potential threat number? As in what would be raised against me if they rebelled?

When you raise troops of your vassals specifically in the case of Dukes/Kings. Do you get the troops from the individual holdings (cities/churches) based of their owners relation to your vassals? Or their owners relation to you.

Um for example.

I want to raise my vassal the King of France. In France there is a city. Will I get troops raised based on the King of Frances relation to that specific Mayor? Or will I get troops raised on the basis of my relation to that mayor?

Yeah I noticed that. So I should use this number as the potential threat number? As in what would be raised against me if they rebelled?

I believe that is correct.

When you raise troops of your vassals specifically in the case of Dukes/Kings. Do you get the troops from the individual holdings (cities/churches) based of their owners relation to your vassals? Or their owners relation to you.

Um for example.

I want to raise my vassal the King of France. In France there is a city. Will I get troops raised based on the King of Frances relation to that specific Mayor? Or will I get troops raised on the basis of my relation to that mayor?

While I am not 100% sure, it is most likely based on the opinion of your direct vassal under whom the mayor serves towards you. In other words, if the mayor's liege is a count, the latter of which is your direct vassal, the troops you can raise should be influenced by the count's opinion towards you. Logically, it should also be influenced by the mayor's opinion towards the count (which determines the number of troops the count is able to raise from his vassals), but that I am not sure.

So I am the king of Ireland, and I have just inherited/conquered wales and the lower half of England pretty much all in one weird independence war. I have gone way over my land limit whatever it is called, so I made a whole bunch of counts to get it down (which was damn tricky, everyone was a hater). I have like 10ish counts and they're all constantly revolting/trying to kill me and my family, you know how it is. Anyway how do I round some of these guys up and create Dukes? My character has a whole bunch of Duke titles, but I can't figure out how to create this position and assign it to the AI. I gave two plots of land that made up a Duchy to my heir and he created the title himself, is that the only way?

You should have a little sign at the top of your screen which, when scrolled over, says "You can create xx titles". Do so, and then you can grant ducal titles to counts (and above). But do be careful when doing so, and read the threads on how to manage duchy creation.

Do duchies still drift into your primary kingdom if you hold an emperor title?

Is there a limit on the number of king titles an emperor can hold?

How would you optimally divide the Russian Empire?

Do duchies still drift into your primary kingdom if you hold an emperor title?

Is there a limit on the number of king titles an emperor can hold?

How would you optimally divide the Russian Empire?

No, no and no idea.

Okay, I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm sure the answer is fairly obvious to most of the people here, so it probably will seem ridiculous. But that's also the reason I'm asking it!

Anyway, onto my question...

How do I make a general courtier into a bishop? Also, how (assuming it is possible) can I make my heir(s) join the church and become bishops?

My Galician king had way too much "fun" with his French queen and they've been popping out babies left and right. I need to put some of those boys into the church before gavelkind succession breaks up my beautiful demesne.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Okay, I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm sure the answer is fairly obvious to most of the people here, so it probably will seem ridiculous. But that's also the reason I'm asking it!

Anyway, onto my question...

How do I make a general courtier into a bishop? Also, how (assuming it is possible) can I make my heir(s) join the church and become bishops?

My Galician king had way too much "fun" with his French queen and they've been popping out babies left and right. I need to put some of those boys into the church before gavelkind succession breaks up my beautiful demesne.

Thanks in advance for the help!
You need Free Investiture. You can then assign bishops' successors via the religion screen.
To my knowledge, you cannot make heirs bishops, as that's a rather gamey way to remove them from succession.

You need Free Investiture. You can then assign bishops' successors via the religion screen.
To my knowledge, you cannot make heirs bishops, as that's a rather gamey way to remove them from succession.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just out of curiosity, the event where one of your sons wants to be "given the responsibilities of a fiefdom" which carries the option to "encourage a career in the Church" will not make him a bishop?

Alternately, you can conquer some infidel lands and give the captured temples to your sons.

And, like Meneth said, you can't exclude your primary heir from the line of succession by making him a priest.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just out of curiosity, the event where one of your sons wants to be "given the responsibilities of a fiefdom" which carries the option to "encourage a career in the Church" will not make him a bishop?
I think that might be an exception. It is a rather rare event though in my experience.

Is it better for an emperor to control two empire titles, or should I let the kingdoms from the other empire become, de jure, yours after 100 years? (Thus rendering the other empire Titular.)

As an infant ruler who gets the -25 relation hit if a truce is broken, me or my Regent?

That would be you.

Have a question of my own, a simple one for someone who played a Muslim -
What happens if your (non-dynastic) vassal reaches 100% decadence? Will they get overrun and then you get to rule over the new dynasty that captures their lands, or the newcomers become independent?