• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sirbruce

Colonel
60 Badges
Mar 3, 2001
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
I just found out in defines.txt that if you have more than 30 members in your court, the game starts reducing the number of children allowed to keep it from growing too large. So I guess if you want more children you need to jettison some useless courtiers...

Well, that's extremely annoying because my court is normally full of useless people I can't get rid of. Most of my court is my consul, their wives, random children of dead rulers and claimants. I have over 30 within a few years. Playing the full game I'd probably have hundreds.

My understanding is that that only applies to AI courts, to prevent the game from completely bogging down. The number of children the player can have is unrestricted.

Well, that's extremely annoying because my court is normally full of useless people I can't get rid of. Most of my court is my consul, their wives, random children of dead rulers and claimants. I have over 30 within a few years. Playing the full game I'd probably have hundreds.
Marry the women off, and piss off the courtiers when they ask you for stuff :)

Also, there's a "Banish" option IIRC; might be just for imprisoned characters though.

I somehow fear it is not only for AI. In my last england game I was quite sure my first son and/or his wife had very low fertility since the first 10 years of their marrigae they had no kids at all. Than I died, he became King, moved from his county to my capital and within 5 years they got 5 children (no twins).

It's is 30 in total for every court I saw the file last night.
Also simple answer is that you marry off all courtiers you don't want so the go to other courts relatives usually come back when invited anyway

And how do you marry off male courtiers, so they'll leave? Arranging a matrilineal marriage doesn't work: it only allows you to select spouses for them from your own court.

It's so easy to keep high relations with your vassals, that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to carry out the occasional prison execution or banishment.

It's so easy to keep high relations with your vassals, that it shouldn't be too much of a problem to carry out the occasional prison execution or banishment.

-40 from Tyrant per imprisonment, per person in your court, isn't to be taken lightly. Oh, and it sticks to you for years, too.

Last edited:
And how do you marry off male courtiers, so they'll leave? Arranging a matrilineal marriage doesn't work: it only allows you to select spouses for them from your own court.

Marriage requests go to the liege. If you are choosing the option from their diplomacy screen, then what you are basically doing is asking their liege (ie you) if they (you) have anyone they (you) want to marry to your own courtier :)

If you ask some other liege, you'll be able to choose from your courtiers on one side, and his on the other.

Although I strongly suspect this is AI only. Would seem very unlikely they would do this for the player. And I've running with a large court from dynasty breeding and advisor fishing, and I've still had some large royal families.

-40 from Tyrant per imprisonment, per person in your court, isn't to be taken lightly. Oh, and it sticks to you for years, too.

Yeah, I don't have a very large sample size to work with, but so far playing a benevolent king has paid dividends when it comes to diplomatic options.

Although I strongly suspect this is AI only. Would seem very unlikely they would do this for the player. And I've running with a large court from dynasty breeding and advisor fishing, and I've still had some large royal families.

It actually works: I dumped an annoying courtier on Scotland's Malcolm the Cruel. Thanks for the tip.

Make the bad ones spymaster, send them to Constantinople, let them rot in jail forever when they get caught? Should do in three a year.