• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Izvestia Russkie Ljudi

The marriage has been officially completed, with Anastasia Romanov being officially vowed to Mikhail II Rurik. The powerful moment was captured in the above painting, which was produced shortly afterward from the memories of Osip Braz, an artist who attended the wedding. The royal couple had just, to the shock of many, ran from the proceedings quickly after their conclusion for a private moment of, perhaps, more personal vows. Braz, who was arriving late to the wedding to his great chagrin, came upon them at an opportune moment. The church seen in the background is that of Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral, where the two were wed on the outskirts of Astrakhan just as the house of worship was finishing its restoration. It was a day of great celebration and joyfulness for nobles and commoners alike, and seems to have pushed back the spectres beyond the border from the shadows of many a mind.

This is a painting by the very same Braz, who took some liberties in creating a post-reconstruction view of Astrakhan. The city should be back to pre-fall levels within the decade and, as the new capital of Nova Roma, should continue to grow beyond its old limits. As ice recedes, it seems the very fabric of the region has been reshaped, making the area strikingly similar to eastern Europe pre-Fall. At least, where the ice has receded; these areas are still, sadly, few and far between. However, by all accounts the ice seems to be withdrawing, no matter how much the Chernomen wish it were not so.

Developments continue to trickle in as informants continue to provide information about the Russian victory to the north and other military expeditions in their planning phases. It appears, thankfully, that Imperial Russia has decided to dedicate its forces to the East after all, confirming many rumors, and shall thus allow the Romans- that is, the Ruriks- to attempt a diplomatic relation with the Georgians. The above image is one which has been slipped to us from friends in Imperial Russia, being shipped from our office there last week. It is about a preliminary skirmish in Siberia, where Imperial forces continue to struggle.

As always, I personally implore you, the reader, to not bring to light the existence of this paper. If the Okhrana were to find us...think of your children. What would happen if you were found with this paper? Obviously, you are a true man to even dare read this. So you must understand the risks, and the rewards, of this publication's continuing existence. I hope you found this news enlightening, and shall find the next installments' just as much so.

Where did that Rurik come from?

OOC: I hope to be along with another spot of role-playing in a bit, but I thought it prudent to at least get out my public orders if, for some reason, I am called away.

Spend 6IP to build Three Armies
Invest 1IP in the construction of a Fleet (1/4)
Invade Soudan with Four Armies
Use fleet to invade Arabia with Four Armies

A gamble, I know...

Where did that Rurik come from?

Check out my initial post; they're the pretenders. Im pretending they moved west, Latinized, and are reclaiming their throne.

Super fun Byzantine politics

That was it then. The church had blown it. The largest army to have assembled since the dust settled after The Fall had set out, had fought its way to the very gates of Damascus, only to be driven back by the Ottoman warlords. News of the defeat had spread like a wave from Anatolia, through the empire, followed by a second wave of protests as the public took to the streets, demanding a fresh leadership that would bring a swift and victorious end to the war.

Privately, Marshall Boroevic felt the church had been judged too harshly. While the Byzantine army had been the largest ever assembled, it had only barely outnumbered the Ottoman forces, and if the assorted confidential documents lying before him were to be believed, the Ottomans had benefit from substantial supplies from the so called Twelfth House. But since Parliament had responded to public pressure by declaring Boroevic regent for the duration of the war with the Ottomans, he would keep these views to himself. The people demanded a military man to lead the Hegemony back from this defeat, and so that is what they would get.

Now that he was in office the war would begin again anew. The Hegemony still has the bulk of her armies, and once reorganised and refreshed they would set out again, supplemented with fresh forces that would drive the Byzantine armies to an even higher peak. And this time there would be no interference from the Twelfth House, as the armies marching south into the Levant would be matched by an army marching through Georgia and into Persia.

With luck this twin strike would put an end once and for all to the threat to the Byzantine southern borders. Across the Mediterranean, France is preparing an expedition to her homelands, and Marshall Boroevic longs to do the same, and once again walk the streets of Vienna.

Orders:
Spend 4IP on 2 armies
Invade the Levant with 5 armies
Declare war on the Twelfth House
Invade the Twelfth House with 4 armies

OOC: Apologies for the forced writing (probably full of mistakes), I seem to have the focus of a concussed goldfish today.

Last edited:
Pressed for time, so here are orders. Hopefully an RP post later tonight.

Declare war on Colombia. (Or is it NPC now?)
Spend 2 IP on an army
Invade Colombia proper with 6 armies and a navy
Spend 3 CP and 1 IC on researching the navy technology

Orders:
Spend 4IP and 4CP on 6 armies
Invade the Levant with 7 armies
Invade the Twelfth House with 6 armies

OOC: Apologies for the forced writing (probably full of mistakes), I seem to have the focus of a concussed goldfish today.

OOC: CP actually may not be used for military construction; it is for investment in army or navy technology.

OOC: Wait, what?

Aw, fark...

OOC: My navy should be able to provide some defense to the sea attack, and your military is surely large enough to stand a chance. I wouldn't worry too much.

Check out my initial post; they're the pretenders. Im pretending they moved west, Latinized, and are reclaiming their throne.

OOC: Which Russians am I marrying to my nobility then?

Edit: Also, "Concussed Goldfish" would make an awesome band name.

Double edit: Expect some RP from me later today, some newspaper articles and maybe a short piece describing the Prince Imperial aboard the Egalite. This morning I'm going over to play with my baby nieces though.

OOC: Which Russians am I marrying to my nobility then?

Edit: Also, "Concussed Goldfish" would make an awesome band name.

Double edit: Expect some RP from me later today, some newspaper articles and maybe a short piece describing the Prince Imperial aboard the Egalite. This morning I'm going over to play with my baby nieces though.

You are marrying the daughters of Romanov, except for Anastasia; the Ruriks are doing their own thing.

Could you resubmit your orders? I'm not sure how many armies you want to commit to each attack, or if you want to continue with a second attack.

OOC: He looks to have edited his post

Concussed Goldfish said:
Orders:
Spend 4IP on 2 armies
Invade the Levant with 5 armies
Invade the Twelfth House with 4 armies

Le Temps Nouveau

Imperial Betrothal Announced!
In his annual address to the Assembly and Senate, His Imperial Majesty Napoleon IV official announced the long-rumoured betrohal of Prince Imperial Louis Alfonse Napoleon to German Princess Victoria Louise. The wedding will be held in 1910, when Princess Victoria Louise, the Kaiser's youngest child, will turn 18.

Both French and Germn officials stressed that unlike the wedding of HIM Napoleon IV to Spanish Infanta Maria, this wedding will not signify any sort of merger of the two Euro-African powers. In fact Victoria Louise will formally renounce any claim on the German throne before the wedding shall procede.

The Kaiser hs insisted that the wedding take place in mainland Europe. While no formal decision has been made, likely candidates include the Alhambra palace in Granda or the Sistine Chapel in Rome. The former was the site of the Emperor's wedding, while the latter would serve to showcase the strides made in reconstructing Rome.

A rather less likely candidate is Marseille's magnificent Notre-Dame de la Garde. The sturdy cathedral, the sister church of Algiers' Notre Dame d'Afrique, has reportedly suffered less damage than most of the ruined city. The Prince Imperial is currently serving in the Air Corps, deployed to help retake and rebuild southern France. Holding the Imperial wedding there would be a powerful gesture, as the cathedral's spire was the last visible part of the city for most evacuees. This has made it a popular subject for artists, most recently Paul Signac's dream-like Impressionist masterpiece. Unfortunately sercurity and living conditions are unlikely to reach an acceptable standard in time.

Princess Victoria Louise is not the only foreign royalty headed to France to wed. Velikaya Knyadzna Olga Nikolaevna, eldest daughter of the Russian Czar, is set to marry the Empress' cousin, Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Two-Sicilies, with another Russian Princess possibly coming with her. This wedding is the appearent result of HIM Emperor Napoleon IV's open attitude toward restoring relations with the Russian Empire, long assumed destroyed in the Fall. But lurid stories of cannibalism and demon-worship have followed restored contact with the Russians, causing many to question the wisdom of this decision. The Emperor has stated that "I will not stand in the way of a lady's happiness on nothing more than rumour." Still, many conservative Catholic and Muslim clergy have expressed grave concern. Officially the church has no objection so long as the Princess or Princesses in question are re-baptized in the Catholic faith.

Update is all calculated except for the Confederacy's attack, since that was a late DoW and I'm holding off a bit to get Colombia's orders if they want to do anything in response. I'm posting it Monday evening, regardless.

A proclamation from the Imperial Hegemony

To esteemed Minister Théophile Delcassé, and by extension the peoples of France-Outre-Mer and her associated territories.

The Imperial Hegemony hereby officially acknowledges the French position with regards to the resettlement of Europe, and publicly subscribes to the principles laid out by Minister Delcassé. Furthermore, should a situation arise whereby the resettlement of Europe can be facilitated by access through Hegemony territories, such access will be joyfully granted upon request.

The people of the Hegemony congratulate France for achieving a position from which they are able to approach returning to the north, and hope for every success in their upcoming expedition. With luck the Hegemony will soon be joining France in these endeavours.

On behalf of the Hegemony, and his Most Imperial Majesty.
Marshall-Regent Svetozar Boroević

Czar Nicolae Alexandrovich Romanov II said:
To Patriarch Constantinos I:

I have need of marrying my daughters, and who better to wed than a fellow Slav. Your nation has domain over some Slavic people, and as such I consider your empire a sibling. As such, the two should have common blood, which I offer to you, as a marriage between my daughter Maria Nikolaevna Romanova and your emperor Alexios I Komnenus. This does not entail any future treat between our nations, other than an assurance of no unprovoked aggression against your people. The icy binds of Russia are being withdrawn as the Fall fades into history, and when Chernobog brings forth another Fall, I do not wish my daughters to find themselves at the mercy of Malik Nous, as righteous as their mission-our mission- is.

Czar Nicolae Alexandrovich Romanov II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias

Esteemed Czar Nicolae Alexandrovich Romanov II

The Imperial Hegemony is honoured by the offer made by your Majesty, and the apparent goodwill of the Russias. Be assured such feeling is fully reciprocated. Unfortunately the youth of the Emperor make it impractical to arrange for his marriage as of now. Furthermore the church, though somewhat diminished of late, retains a strong position and would undoubtedly insist upon an Orthodox wedding. Our affection for our Russian cousins remains strong however.

Marshall-Regent Svetozar Boroević