• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Scandinavia is a cultural union, all Scandinavian cultures are treated as if they were Danish.

Also, a culture shift is when you change your culture by moving your capital to a province with an accepted culture and then enacting the decision. I believe there's a 5 stab hit.

what is Cultural Shift Decision?
If you want to change your primary_culture to something else to form a more potentially attractive union (e.g., Saxon to form Prussia and/or Germany, Dutch to form Netherlands, or Russian to form Russia), it will be far more difficult as SCA than as DAN. You can still do it, but it requires going bankrupt as a OPM (which can be problematic).

That's really the only downside - the opportunity cost if you wanted to form something else. HRE still available, though, as mentioned.

And funny thing : When I inherited Norway and Sweden, I lost accepted Culture Austrian, gained swedis and norwegian. (and overextension -4 finnish provinces.)
But I kept Hannoveranian.. ? I have more income from Austrian provinces..Although only one austrian core..hmm 4 or 5 cores in hannoveranian culture.
Gaining all those newly cored provinces of different cultures changed the math for the culture_gain_threshold (12%) and culture_loss_threshold (5%). Cores and tax values count, so the lone Austrian cored province (I'm guessing you acquired early) was probably already in danger of being lost amidst the Danish and Hannoverian ones and was just overwhelmed by the addition of all the new Norwegian and Swedish ones. Hannoverian might not be 12% anymore, but obviously hasn't dropped below 5%. I suspect the overextension penalty kicked in because you went over the number of provinces you could have before you had to start worrying about it (function of centralization level, IIRC). It's a bit surprising, though, because almost all the new provinces should have been cored, and the cored ratio is the other thing that is relevant for that event (50% you're usually good). So I'm wondering if there is a possibility that you already had the penalty and just noticed it after inheritance?

Then I made Scandinavia, lost overextension, and lost Swedish and Norwegian as accepted culture next month..Although the provinces do not get the -30% non-accepted culture.. ???
I suspect forming SCA added enough new cores (e.g., Finnish cores) to bring you back above the required core percentage for your centralization level. Swedish and Norwegian don't get accepted anymore, because you're a union tag (SCA), with a culture within that union, so everything in that culture group is now considered accepted (does not include Finnish, though)

Scandinavia is also a decision.
The point is that forming Scandinavia changes your tag and stuff, whereas KoG is just a country modifier just like, well, any other national decision.

Allows you to change your primary culture.

..And funny thing : When I inherited Norway and Sweden, I lost accepted Culture Austrian, gained swedis and norwegian. (and overextension -4 finnish provinces.)
But I kept Hannoveranian.. ? I have more income from Austrian provinces..Although only one austrian core..hmm 4 or 5 cores in hannoveranian culture..

Then I made Scandinavia, lost overextension, and lost Swedish and Norwegian as accepted culture next month..Although the provinces do not get the -30% non-accepted culture.. ???
Because Swedish and Norwegian become primary (and thus not accepted) cultures.

To RobRoy : I have many Austrian provinces (all but Vienna and Graz, but most produce gold), but only one is cored, that was a mission..There are more Hannoveranian cores, though..
Overextension was most likely because my new Emperor is only adm. 4...so those 4 finnish provinces without cores did the trick. And no, the popup came at the same time as the inherit..

To Pewt : So KoG does not create a Vassal? or rather an independant country called Jerusalem with Danish culture, in my case?

Kingdom of God is the decision taken by the Papal States that gives it some bonuses and closes down the system of cardinals.
The decision to form the Kingdom of Jerusalem releases an independent state known as Jerusalem with the white and gold flag.

To RobRoy : I have many Austrian provinces (all but Vienna and Graz, but most produce gold), but only one is cored, that was a mission..There are more Hannoveranian cores, though..
Overextension was most likely because my new Emperor is only adm. 4...so those 4 finnish provinces without cores did the trick. And no, the popup came at the same time as the inherit..

To Pewt : So KoG does not create a Vassal? or rather an independant country called Jerusalem with Danish culture, in my case?
I believe you're thinking of the "Create Kingdom of Jerusalem" decision, which is not the same thing.

If your capital province does not have your primary culture, and you have more provinces of your capital's provincial culture than of your national primary culture, you can enact a decision which changes your primary culture to match your capital.

However, Culture Unions (Scandinavia, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, etc.) cannot do this.

If you are a culture union, all cultures in your culture group are effectively primary.

accepted culture status depends on the tax value of the provinces, not their total income.

accepted culture status depends on the tax value of the provinces, not their total income.

And since Core only matters to the Yearly tax, not the monthly, all the non-core Austrian provinces -excellent provinces, one base 4, one base 5, rest base 6-10 - should be rather enough..unless only cored provinces count in that formula for culture acceptance?

Last edited:
And since Core only matters to the Yearly tax, not the monthly, all the non-core Austrian provinces -excellent provinces, one base 4, one base 5, rest base 6-10 - should be rather enough..unless unly cored provinces count in that formula for culture acceptance?
They do (or maybe it's calculated based on direct tax, which would work out to basically the same thing).

They do (or maybe it's calculated based on direct tax, which would work out to basically the same thing).
Since they calculate every month (change triggered on the first of the month, not january) I guess it is not Direct Tax (the yearly tax)

Another thing is, I seem to have lost all my Royal Marriages! I think it was when I changed to SCA, but I have changed to Emperor too, a few years before the inheritance...I just suddenly noticed that one of my Vassals didn't have a RM, so checked..I think I had over 20 RM's before...

Since they calculate every month (change triggered on the first of the month, not january) I guess it is not Direct Tax (the yearly tax)

Another thing is, I seem to have lost all my Royal Marriages! I think it was when I changed to SCA, but I have changed to Emperor too, a few years before the inheritance...I just suddenly noticed that one of my Vassals didn't have a RM, so checked..I think I had over 20 RM's before...

Just because you don't receive the census tax every month doesn't mean the system doesn't update the calculation. In fact, if you watch your $ mouseover tooltip I'm pretty sure it does just that.

You generally lose most of your RMs when your ruler dies so it most likely happened the same time as the inheritance, not the union forming.

You probably got over-extension more from going from a high adm ruler to a low one than from the inheritances. 4 uncored Finnish provs out of 25ish or more gained is not going to push you from having a high core % to a low core %. You already had the bad core % just a good enough leader or a low enough total province count that overextension trigger (probably the low city count).

Scandinavia is a cheesy name to look at on the map. They should've made it "Kalmar Union" which sounds cooler.

You are right somehow but otherwise it is hard to find a real suitable name which is satisfying for all. In case of Denmark Kalmar Union makes sense but not if Norway or Sweden would form it.