• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If the USSR has gone GIE, then all Comintern countries, including Mongolia and Tannu Tuva, need to be taken out to end the war on the Eastern Front. Germany and Italy are not in a position to do that - so it will be up to Japan.

Of course, Italy (or Germany) could send troops through Japanese territory so that the Japanese player can concentrate on the USA.

AS mnplastic says I also think SU ends up as GiE and you need to make the rest of the Comitern surrender, thats at least what you have to do after bitter peace if SU declare war again. Japan could be able to take the rest and make them all surrender.

Applause! So the MP team decided to play WW2 by historical rules, rather than letting the gamey bitter peace event drop all of western Russia into Germany's lap.

The Bitter Peace never really made any sense. Well, in terms of game rules, it sort of makes sense - surrender progress 100% meaning surrender, and all that - but in real life Germany's fight would not be over just because they seized Leningrad and Moscow. Every book about the war says as much. Stalin had already relocated to Kuibyshev (almost 1000 km east of Moscow) before the fighting reached the towns close to Moscow.

Anyways, what does this mean for the German player? The Russians are going to lose more territory if the Germans keep up the pressure, but the Soviet army remains in the field? How effective are the Soviet armies going to be, with IC and leadership reduced due to the loss of so much land? Can't the Axis players just hold the Soviets in place, with maybe half the forces they have in the east right now? And relocate the remainder of their armies to other fronts? The British could probably be pushed back into the sea with a fraction of the forces currently deployed in the east.

Moreover, how much effort will it be for the Italians and Germans, to seize the remainder of the Russian IC, resources and manpower west of the Volga? How would that then change the situation? Will the Soviets eventually see their divisions bled white, their tanks stop without oil, their planes grounded from lack of fuel?

Is it feasible, in MP, to build strat bombers and keep hitting the Soviet production centers?

Oh and something else: How long did you say the Axis have to hold out, to "win" the game? 1/7/1943? 1/1/1944?
Don't hold your breath. It's mid-1945. Few MP games ever reach that point.

Applause! So the MP team decided to play WW2 by historical rules, rather than letting the gamey bitter peace event drop all of western Russia into Germany's lap.
Sorry, but if the Axis has to conquer every Soviet province to defeat them, then sth is wrong. I agree that the Bitter Peace makes it too easy for the Germans, but the current situation is ridiculous.

It seems there are some short attention spans in this thread - so to restate, no off topic, no discussion of the game mechanics and, since its been done to death already, no discussion of the Carnage group's MP rules. Keep your discussion to the AAR updates.

Why not enforce the house rule?

Did USSR player just forget about it?
Anyways we shall see how it goes then.

That House Rule is still intact. If Axis take Stalingrad, Soviet must force bitter peace. As you can see, however, we are quite far away from Stalingrad right now. And, as you surely understand, we hadn't really planned to go there at this point as the Japanese victories in Baku region gave us 9VPs (~ Stalingrad). So it back to the drawing table again...

Ridiculousl, really. Russia can get rid of 30 dissent in few days, if they bother about it at all since you mentioned that combat wasn't really affected. I thught your rules said that Russia had to select bitter peace?

Even if the event as such may have some merit, I agree with Baltasar. 30 dissent is a small price to pay.

Axis can only try to force their way to Stalingrad as quickly as possible. Since the Red Army is on the retreat in the far north, it might be possible to outrun them, especially since the Russians didn't seem to have many units on their southern front.

On the USSR extended ice time :

Axis don't have to take every province to beat the Bear. Axis must switch his war objectives to total conquest and keeps pressuring the Bear. The surrender progress bar will still matter vs National Unity. E.g. USSR bought about 3-6 months of time. No more. Getting rid of 30 dissent will take out production for a moment...

We experienced that in our 1st MP game (check signature) and the Bear did not survive very long after he refused the bitter peace. The result remained the same. Given the entanglement USR is facing (Japan in the Far East and Caucasus; Germany & friends in the West), I don't see how he will prevail.

Do the Germans have Heavy Tanks researched and maybe in production? If anything can stop the American invasion, it's H ARM and SH ARM(but I don't believe these will be built). I'm wondering again though, could a good anti-invasion strategy be to use the navy only when an invasion is attempted, to attack the transports?

If the house rule is still in effect, then the logical thing to do is to strike at Stalingrad ASAP. The USA is still not in the Allies, so it may be possible to knock the SU out of the game before they join the Allies or shortly after they do that.

How much IC does the USSR have left?

and with all these important provinces lost, can they keep up a war of attrition(how much of mp do they generate now)?

Anyway, I'm glad the AAR is not finishing anytime soon. :D

How much IC does the USSR have left?

and with all these important provinces lost, can they keep up a war of attrition(how much of mp do they generate now)?

More importantly, where is the new Soviet capital located? If it's somewhere in the north, the Axis have a chance to cut the supply line or at least bend it so that the supplies have to take a longer route. Actually, if supply rules affect both sides the same way on Soviet soil, the Russians should start noticing shortage of supplies as well soon, having lost their stocks in their capital and a good part of their industry.

Actually, if supply rules affect both sides the same way on Soviet soil, the Russians should start noticing shortage of supplies as well soon, having lost their stocks in their capital and a good part of their industry.
They don't. The province owner enjoys a higher throughput and doesn't have to fight partisans.

At least we will get a really climactical battle for Stalin grad, then :D

The Allies have no way to aid the Soviet player directly, do they? As in, sending them supplies, expeditionary forces, and so on?
well, the UK landed a couple of armies in Romania prevousily...so unless Istanbul(?) is taken and the black sea is locked, the allies can send troops i guess :|

On the plus side, Stalingrad doesn't seem to be awfully far away in this. The Hungarian forces were on their way to the southern front and they're player controlled currently.