• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't see the point for UK to keep that many divisions in southern Italy when they have so many other potential targets, hopefully we will be enlightened in Zid's thinking here.

Lots of that "might" is engaged in a staring contest with the Italians already. The US thrust into France was rather pathetic, I doubt that they do have many units out there, seeing that they failed to roll through the rather thin lines the Axis had there. The real danger comes from the, lets call them unrealistic, amphibious operations coupled with way too quick naval and air movements. This enables them to be extremely flexible without risking actually losing units. I do hope TFH will change this part of the game. Greatly.

I couldnt agree with you more Baltasar. Completely cheapened the game, BUT there were no house rules against it apparently soooo.... Axis SOL!

I really do hope amphibious landings will be changed, they should be MAJOR high risk operations! To fail an overlord would have spelled death...

What a shame we didn't get to see a Sealion attempt! I think it would have been awfully tough to pull off, but I like the gamble. Is it truly postponed, or is this a cancellation?

Agreed that the stack in southern Italy is not being productive, but that's ok for the Allies. All they have to do is keep the pressure on in as many locations as possible and grind away. It will be interesting to see how long until they challenge the Japanese again on the ocean. I think right now it's in their best interest to let Japan keep Asia. Not enough troops to liberate those lands anyway. Just keep nibbling at Europe until Russia is out of danger.

I don't think Cpt would have given a slightest hint of a possible sea lion if it hadn't been concluded already.

I still cannot see the axis winning this one. Time is against them as the allies can outproduce them significantly. The only options are on the long run:
- Take out one of the majors: Stalingrad is far-far away, Sea lion is looking close to impossible now and the US invasion failed
- Major encirclements to thin the line and keep the current balance of forces - also not happening, US and UK withdrawing too quickly and Soviet player is preserving troops well.
- Threaten allied naval supremacy to stop the landings and be able to concentrate force - not even close

I'm also wondering what the raw material balance is, the axis must be thin on fuel, metal and rares by now... I'm still pulling for the axis though, looking forward to some move of pure genious.

Probably not happening, but for the next carnage game it would be great if the fans could determine the set-up. Those of us following through all the serious pretty much have a view on how each of you play. Perhaps voting on a start date and who plays which country? Carnage - FTF (for the fans) :) Just a thought.

I still cannot see the axis winning this one. Time is against them as the allies can outproduce them significantly. The only options are on the long run:
- Take out one of the majors: Stalingrad is far-far away, Sea lion is looking close to impossible now and the US invasion failed
- Major encirclements to thin the line and keep the current balance of forces - also not happening, US and UK withdrawing too quickly and Soviet player is preserving troops well.
- Threaten allied naval supremacy to stop the landings and be able to concentrate force - not even clos
MP and LP are much more important than IC, especially for Germany. Italy doesn't have enough LP to stay competitive in the naval field and have good quality troops at the same time. Japan could probably use more IC, though - they are probably drowning in MP after China is conquered, but against a human player there is no such thing as too many ships or air units.

I agree that strategically things look grim for the Axis. I doubt that they can survive until 1945 and win by holding enough VPs in multiplayer.

I'm also wondering what the raw material balance is, the axis must be thin on fuel, metal and rares by now...
I doubt it - they captured stockpiles of several nations and Germany has vast coal reserves, which can be converted to crude oil.

Probably not happening, but for the next carnage game it would be great if the fans could determine the set-up. Those of us following through all the serious pretty much have a view on how each of you play. Perhaps voting on a start date and who plays which country? Carnage - FTF (for the fans) Just a thought.
I think that first and foremost they want to have fun, so they pick whatever nations they want. AAR is probably just a bonus.

The IC is a tricky one, IC is always a problem when I play Italy. You need to build land troops to defend (especially in MP), then you absolutely need to build your navy. Since due to LP shortage you probably cannot spare to go for the CV tech tree, you need an airforce as well. Add to that, that your units are usually inferior so outnumbering your oponnent is also needed.
As for Germany, they have their army sitting deep within Russia. Supplies must be a misery and eating up their IC. All in all I wouldn't be surprisied by a 3:1 ratio in relation to production. Which is quit significant.

To sum it up, a prolonged war in no way favours the axis and I too do not believe they can last until 1945.

I doubt it - they captured stockpiles of several nations and Germany has vast coal reserves, which can be converted to crude oil.

The only significant stockpile they might have captured is Moscow. You might argue Paris, but controlled by a human player I doubt they left much in the bank before the inevitable fall. Also don't forget that this is not a 1936 scenario, hence Axis don't have the time to stockpile for years... I'm pretty sure they are thin on raws regardless of conversion techs.

I think that first and foremost they want to have fun, so they pick whatever nations they want. AAR is probably just a bonus.

Agree, hence I started my comment with "Probably not happening". It's just a suggestion and would be a nice addition (IMHO), however if it is not followed then no harm done. I'll still follow the series anyway.

To sum it up, a prolonged war in no way favours the axis and I too do not believe they can last until 1945.
I didn't claim otherwise, I just said that MP and LP are more relevant factors. For Germany, MP in particular. 0 MP means no new units and a not so slow death...

The only significant stockpile they might have captured is Moscow. You might argue Paris, but controlled by a human player I doubt they left much in the bank before the inevitable fall. Also don't forget that this is not a 1936 scenario, hence Axis don't have the time to stockpile for years... I'm pretty sure they are thin on raws regardless of conversion techs.
Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Moscow - it piles up. They can always snatch Yugoslavian stockpile if necessary, as Yugoslavia is still there... Anyway, in case of resource shortages rares are indeed a likely suspect.

CptEasy, I just wanted to extend a hearty thank you to you and your crew for providing this excellent AAR that has managed to provide a level of excitement that I have not found in any other AAR. I look forward to the outcome, and I can only hope that the future ones are as excellent.

would a Allied invasion of yugo, a little further from the eastfront, be feasible under current conditions in MP? follow Churchill's Balkan plan and cut Italians off in the North?

You also have the allies devoting resources to stomping on minors in South America and the middle east. So I do wonder whatthey are up to. Also, the Japs went in blind on America. The number of troops and the spare Airborne Division there indicates that the US is in no way in danger and has reserves that could be put to use elsewhere.

I feel like the Axis have the advantage in Europe, but are unable to actually make use of it. They can't make use of it because it'd stretch their lines, thinning them out, making it easier for focused attacks to take out units, or for Zid to use his Special Landing tactic. It's pretty much a stalemate in Italy to my knowledge, and the US seem to not be that well prepared, or maybe not as good a player as the German player and Cpt since they pushed back the Allies easily enough, and the Americans don't seem to have the troops to muster a fight back.

As it stands, it's pretty much a stalemate. Of course, we don't know how well every country is doing. Germany could be spewing out 30 Panzer divisions for all we knew. I don't think the Allies can actually do much more against the Axis to destroy them, and I think it's going to drag out to '45. The Allies seemed very deadly and damaging with their attacks earlier on- Romania etc. but they died down and haven't made moves like Romania to the same effect. The best they've done is pull the attention of the German player for a couple of in-game days.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXXII - The New Front

Players:USA, UK, 2xSOV, 2xGER, JAP, ITA(spec)
ITA controls part of the German East Front

Recap: The Axis try to win the initiative failed and they now have to wait for the Allies to make the call. Germany still have a plan to strike hard at Moscow although it has been delayed.

1-15.jpg

December 22nd, 1942

Germany’s push north of Azov Sea and Rostov did not lead to any creation of pockets. However, in a great battle (in the northernmost province with a German Panzer) a Soviet Army Corps shattered and retreated in all kinds of directions. A few (at least a Light Armor Division) tried to reach Boguenar. When the tired soldiers stumbled to what they believed was safety, Germans were already awaiting them, rounding them in.

The Italian leadership urged the German leader on the East Front to move his excess troops northwards to prepare for Moscow, but the German leader wanted to continue the push against the battle-weary Russians a bit longer. As a result, the attack on Moscow would be delayed, but it appeared at least a few more Red Army divisions were destroyed – although the exact number is unclear.

It was obvious that the Red Army had pulled a lot of troops from other fronts to reinforce this section, perhaps fearing an attack in the direction of Stalingrad itself. Those troops would hopefully be gravely misplaced when (if) the attack on Moscow came.

2-15.jpg

December 30th, 1942

As the Germans slowly by slowly pulled back from the bulge they had created in the south of the frontline they still put a northwards pressure on the Red Army. Many of these Russians soldiers were badly rested and had difficulties coping with the onslaught. Around the city of Voronez a sack was suddenly formed.

3-15.jpg

January 8th, 1943

At least one Soviet division was destroyed in Voronez after making a long and brave stand. It is unclear if more units were lost to the Red Army but never the less – a lot of these retreating units were in very bad shape.

The Germans had no breaks, though. Fresh Soviet divisions, of which several were armored, came from the east and quickly retook everything the Germans left behind as some loaded on trains to go towards Moscow and some headed for a new defensive line – going from Rostov by the Azov Sea to Voronez behind the river.

The plan was to hold here until, and during, the attack on Moscow.

4-16.jpg

December 28th, 1942

The Axis knew a new attack was to be expected from the Allies very soon. First, the evil Americans declared war on yet another small nation – Bulgaria. Soon after that attack, the Brits landed at the coastline in former Rumania. It was a broad landing and they seemed to have most of their armors there. The Germans had some troops well away from the coast but they realized they would not be able to hold that line and started to move west.

5-16.jpg

January 1st, 1943

As usual, the Allies were moving very fast. This situation would quickly become grim.

6-15.jpg

January 8th, 1942

The Brits came in fast and the few German infantry divisions were soon caught up with and engaged in combat. Luckily, this was not a landscape made for blitzkrieg, but the position of the few Germans looked perilous, to say the least. A few Hungarian units were inbound. Hopefully they would stall the Allies just a little, but maybe enough for German reinforcements to arrive.

Italian fighters and bombers had already arrived and engaged the Allies in the air and on land. It was soon obvious, as seen throughout 1942, that Allies no longer dominated the skies. It was likely the price of all those armor divisions…

7-14.jpg

January 16th, 1943

1. The frantic British effort to create a pocket was very close at succeeding. The Germans had tried a constructive and safe fighting retreat, but it simply was too slow. Just as the trap was about to close, German paratroopers saved the day by landing in the opening of the sack and defend it against British armor which came storming in from north east and south. The first German unit to arrive from other theatres, a panzer, managed to reach the front and engage the Brits. It was not enough by far to stop the invasion, but it gave the Germans that little respite to make the retreat a little more orderly.

2. A Romanian rebellion in Deva was quickly dealt with but gave the Allies some valuable intel and stalled some of the Axis units.

8-14.jpg

January 9th – 16th, 1943

With the Allies being tied up on other arenas, the German defenders in France seized the opportunity and took Switzerland. They simply needed all manpower and industries in this war of attrition. They also needed the rare materials they expected to be in stock.

9-12.jpg

January 11th, 1943

During the end of 1942, the Allies increased their efforts in Persia. In the beginning of 1943 a disaster struck the Japanese. It seemed like a British light armor division, manned by blood thirsty elite warriors bashed through and crushed the Japanese front and then blitzed right through. At least 4 Japanese infantry divisions were destroyed up in the barren hills. This entire section was now unstable which threatened India itself.

10-13.jpg

January 28th, 1943

The remaining Jap unit stumbled backwards and managed a fairly secure foothold behind the river. The push had taxed the Brits too and now they had run out of range from their precious Bomber Command while the Japs had air bases close by – and a fairly huge fleet patrolling the ocean outside. It was crucial to halt the Brits before they could spread out in entire India and probably with easy surround the Japanese infantry. At least now the Japanese had moved their Guard Tank Division to the front, hoping to stop those infamous British tanks.

Authors note: I don’t know if the land in Persia captured by the Brits has been Soviet all the time. Can the Brits really trace supply? It might be, I dearly hope, that the Brits have ended up in a little trap as they have no port in this area. We will see. Japan is in great need of a break in this sector.

Authors note (new): The Brits DID trace supply from Soviet. Thats odd.

11-12.jpg

January 20th-30th, 1943

When the Italian leadership spotted movement on the Allied side of the Italian front, they quickly put together a disruptive attack and charged from three sides up the hills of Melfi. During ten days the Americans bravely fought back although their casualty rate was high. They were slowly pushed back, however, and had no real hope of turning the battle. After ten days of hell, they gave up and retreated.

The Axis had no real plan to follow up with more attacks. The Allies had too much troops there.

12-13.jpg

January 29th, 1943

After about a month of struggling the Germans were on the way to consolidate their defense. It was not a stalemate – the Allies were still gaining ground – but the whole feeling of desperate retreat was gone from the German side. The Hungarians had arrived in number, and although they did not prove a real hindrance to the Allies they were still an annoying obstacle. At least one Hungarian division had been trapped.

A lone British armor was pushing north but it would soon meet some German forces under Italian leadership. Also, the Germans had recently deployed two brand new Panzer Divisions in this area and were just waiting for them to organize themselves full.

A worry was the British units attacking into the Italian New World of Odessa and Crimea. Except some doomed Hungarian armor cars there were nothing here to stop them – except hopefully supply shortages.

The Axis argued weather to abandon the “Moscow-attack” and send their units here or to first attack Moscow and then, after hopefully a success, turn southwards and chase out the Allies.

13-13.jpg

January 30th, 1943

In the end, the Axis decided to gone on with the Moscow attack. The troops there were surely needed to stop the Allies, but then the Red Army would just be able to go on the offensive again. Also, the attack on Moscow was now prepared. By moving them westwards, all the careful redeployments and loss of initiative had been for naught. A decisive victory in the East was needed.

1. Moscow. The entire Soviet front seems a little weak on this sector. It is understandable since its been dead-calm for almost half a year. Even though the Red Army has armor at the front, they don’t have more than one or tops two divisions at the front. Hopefully, they don’t have much in the second line except HQs. The front is simply too long and they have been forced to pull reinforcements southwards due to the German autumn offensive there – threatening (however falsely) to open up a route to Stalingrad.

2. The Red Army is extremely weak here. Two provinces is just “defended” by HQs and there are only one infantry division in bordering provinces. The German attack here will not be awfully strong, but will cause some chaos.

3. The Germans have some four armor divisions with engineers behind the line, ready to push straight north, as a spearhead for this section of the front. It will destabilize the position of the Soviet troops south of Moscow and force them to think more on retreat than clever defense. Hopefully, some may be captured in a pocket.

4. The main thrust will be just north and south of Moscow. It is believed the Soviet defense will be strongest here, helped by the terrain and rivers. The Germans have assembled quite an amount of troops here and the Red Army should not be able to resist it.

But it is all about time. The Red Army is known to have excess forces in the south and they will most certainly pull them north. There is of course a chance the Soviet leadership will simply retreat out of Moscow and instead use is forces in the south to push through the rather thin German line to connect with the Brits….

14-13.jpg

January 30th, 1943

1. The Push for Moscow. The Axis is in great need of a rather quick and grand victory – weakening the Red Army by destroying a lot of division and reclaiming the factories of Moscow.

2. The German are backing away here creating a new rather thin defensive line. The Red Army, however, seems to have reinforced their sector and might be able to overwhelm them Germans.

3. This is great showdown between Allies and Axis for the moment. Needless to say, losing Hungary would be devastating for the Axis – especially if they turned on Germany. On the other side – the Allies are fighting much deeper into the land than usual. They are taking a risk.

4. The front in Italy is calm and quite even. Nothing significant will happen here if not any side will weaken or strengthen their front. Still, quite a lot of troops are locked here.

5. France is quiet. The only reason Germany have not taken back more land is because they fear Allied landings – and also because they have plenty of more important things on their mind.

And the game has now gone into 1943. I am happy.

The attack on Moscow can cause some chaos, because the Soviets would lose all their stockpiles, but what's their surrender progress?

It looks like there is still some life left in this game, but I believe that the Allies have the upper hand and may win this. If not, then I don't know what they have to do in order to win in the 1938 scenario in MP (and without gamey invasions it would have been much harder for them)...

Its Moscow or a slow death for the Axis.

Its Moscow AND a slow death for the Axis.

Without Stalingrad they do not stand a chance of breaking the Russians (house rules) regardless of surrender process. Clearly Stalingrad is nowhere near being in danger. The attack on Switzerland for MP and raw says it all in terms of the state of the german war machine... Moscow will let them fight for 1 more year tops. I still can't see Axis winning this one.

I too am looking forward to the other players comment in the forum.

Just caught up in two days of reading. Awesome stuff.

A few thoughts/questions for the various players concerning their overall strategy:

1. Why didn't Italy go for Yugoslavia after Spain? Especially if they could have puppeted it with much of their army intact to defend the shoreline?

2. Regardless of the above: Could an effort have been made to strip Istanbul and the Bosphorus from Turkey? It seems like if the Axis really wanted a secure "back door" and not "soft underbelly" they've been facing repeatedly in the Black Sea that's the prime way to shut it off.

Regardless, this is an amazing game. So many possibilities snatched from the jaws of victory!

Taking Switzerland was probably a wise decision. However, time permitting, it'd be interesting to see what the Allies got left in France, if they have anything at all there. From the looks of it, the Brits have shoved everything over to Romania.

just how were the Allies able to land in Romania? I thought only the controller of Istanbul (Turkey) and his direct allies can cross the straight here?