• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Three comments? I have gone out of fashion ;)

hansa has same map colour as Tver, you should have had annexed it ;)

I thought about it, but 1) My Infamy is far too high and 2) Much more importantly, they have loads of colonies in the New World. You're right about the map colour, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D

Is that . . . a new flag? Excellent! Did you mod in Tver as Russia?

If I had the leet modding skills, I'd love to put in an Imperial Tver or similar. But no, just a new flag that I made and wanted to try out. I thought that with a new type of government a change of flag would be appropriate :)

Bohemia brings a tear to the eye for being a blight on your south-western border. Is there a chance of showing us what your new CoA looks like without the border covering half of it?

Fear not, Dobczyńska will be giving the Bohemians another good seeing-to soon enough. And the CoA is now in the very first post of the AAR above the Chapter list :)

Episode LXIV: ToTver Eclipse of the Heart

Lord Protector's Palace, City of Tver, Imperial Commonwealth of Tver

A vast empire with an empty throne, the Imperial Commonwealth of Tver was growing used to its new form of governance. While the traditionalists still squabbled and obstructed the march of progress, and a dozen pretenders schemed to manoeuver their way to the Imperial crown, the Commonwealth was enjoying a period of relative stability, and while recent wars had damaged her reputation, so too had they reduced the threat of foreign aggression, and acquired further territories for the Commonwealth at the expense of her western enemies.

Lord Protector Mitrofan Beloselsky, though, was looking to matters less martial. A man with a keen interest in the arts, he was keen to add to the city of Tver's already internationally-renowned portfolio of fine architecture. The Lord Chamberlain was at his side with a list of proposals for beautifying the city centre.

'The murals of the Cathedral are in need of renovation, sir. Expensive, but renowned throughout the Commonwealth and Europe as fine examples of religious art.'

'Worth it. See to it, raise a special church tax if necessary. And what about the main square, you ahd some ideas?'

'Yes, Lord Protector. Further developments of Czarina Aleksandra Square will allow the creation of a new central fountain, and a number of bronze and marble statues.'

'Talking of eye-catching busts, morning Dobczyńska.'

'Morning sir.'

'You're later than usual.'

'Early meeting with my accountant. Need advice on how I can expand my assets.'

'Difficult, I'd have thought.'

'He did say that my assets were already very well-developed, but he's very happy to give me a hand with them. He works hard.'

'Very hard, I suspect. Talking of financial advisors, the First Lord of the Treasury has been embezzling state funds.'

'Good word, embezzle.'

'It is a good word. But one I'd rather not hear with regards to one of my chief ministers. I won't stand for corruption.'

'You're right to get rid of him, sir. Unfortunately, he has his allies amongst the nobles...'

'So I hear. Well, increase our recruitment of spies.'

'We have a few, sir, though we could do with more.'

'It's not like Russia's known for spies or anything.'

'So what next sir?'

'Your friend, Elena Dyabrinsky has done excellent work I see.'

'Ah, yes. A shame that she has to wear that beard to official meetings.'

'What's her middle name again?'

'Zofia. Sadly, the priest at her birth had terrible handwriting.'

'Well, in any case, her oversight of material production has seen it rise to our greatest source of capital.'

'Didn't know you were into alderwomen. I'm jealous.'

'Now, know anything about mining Dobczyńska?'

'I always enjoy a good shaft, sir.'

'Then I want a new Mining Act put through parliament, to greater enhance our salt and iron revenues.'

'Consider it done, sir.'

'What now?'

'I see you've got your sword out.'

'My hand's never far from a well-polished sword, sir.'

'Then let's find some use for it.'

'Oh. Is that wise, sir? Our reputation has improved but if we attack anyone in the next few years, we'll be back in trouble.'

'Not if we have clear goals, Dobczyńska. Something that we can acquire without attracting condemnation.'

'Ah...you mean Tver's ancient ancestral right to Ersekuyvar?'

'As documented in maps and letter from time immemorial.'

'Well, we can pull the usual trick, though they do have a large army in Prague itself. We have to be careful.'

'I'm always careful Dobczyńska. Assemble our armies on the Bohemian border.'

'What about the Emperor, sir?'

'The Emperor's regency Council are still at war with Great Britain, both in Europe and in the New World. Even if they do get involved, I can't see them causing us any problems.'

And so it was. The declaration of war was sent, and the Tverian Reconquest of Ersekuyvar began. The King of Bohemia cursed the Regency Council of Liege as their response to the Commonwealth's attack came: no Imperial help would be forthcoming.

Reassured by the inaction of the Emperor, the armies of Tver marched into Bohemia's heartlands. The enemy forces were divided into two large, powerful armies, one stationed in her Hungarian territories, one in the Czech lands around Bohemia itself. The Tverian armies were divided into smaller unites of 12, 000 soldiers, which made their moves from Tverian Małopolska and Austrian Silesia.

First contact would come in Moravia. General Chernyatinsky deployed one army into Moravia in a bit to entice the Bohemians into an attack. The Bohemians took the bait and, as news of the Bohemian advance reached Upper Silesia, General Kemsky made his move.

There was, however, one flaw in the plan, and his name was Chernyatinsky. Described by Dobczyńska as 'a goggle-eyed goon who shouldn't be let near a spoon never mind an army', he was the son of influential nobles and determined to prove his worth, which he managed spectacularly. His worth was very clear to all in Tver's military hierarchy, as his armies were scattered to the four winds by the Bohemian charge.

Thankfully, Chernyatinsky's hopelessly disorganised defence had managed to tire the Bohemians sufficiently that the Tverian reinforcements could attack before they could recover. Fyodor Kemsky was a much more able general, trained by Dobczyńska herself and described as 'a very willing student, pleasingly flexible, thoroughly disciplined and works well under restriction.'

Kemsky's forces were able to break the Bohemian lines, forcing the brown-clad Czechs to retreat to the walls of their capital (the inhabitants of which were getting very used to seeing Tverian armies outside the walls, to the extent that, during the mid 17th century, Tverian attacks were used as a more reliable alternative to sundials as a method of keeping track of time).

The siege of Ersekuyvar was a short one, as once again Bohemia sent her forces over the border rather than leaving troops behind to guard her vulnerable territories.

General Kemsky, meanwhile, continued to harry the retreating Bohemian army. Dobczyńska had noted that he was a man of great stamina as well as skill, and so he proved as he drove home a second mighty thrust into the opposition. His force was irresistible, and the Czech General Pardubice would be neither the first nor the last to surrender, exhausted, to this titan of combat.

The gates of Prague were opened to welcome the Tverian attackers, since resisting was obviously going to be waste of time and potentially cause a lot of damage.

Dobczyńska travelled in triumph to Prague, and negotiated firmly with the Bohemian King. Tver would take Ersekuyvar, as well as reparations for the inconvenience caused to her forces in reclaiming their ancient territory. In addition, Bohemia would cease claiming overlordship of Silesia.

And so it was that the Bohemian realm was split in two parts, with Ersekuyvar ceded to the Commonwealth, giving Tver another foothold in central Europe. The province of Ersekuyvar was swiftly integrated into the Commonwealth's administration, and provided a staging area for potential further westward advances without requiring military access from the Austrians.

'All is proceeding as I have foreseen...'

'What was that, sir?'

'Nothing. Just felt like...something that I should say.'

'Sounded a bit Imperial to me.'

'Oh. Well, we can't have any of that, can we?'

'Anything else you need from me, Lord Protector?'

'Always, Dobczyńska.' Lord Protector Beloselsky leaned back in his chair, the new map of the Imperial Commonwealth before him on his desk.

'Always.'

That's a great explanation for the odd name your advisor had. Now you need to find a way to fix that blemish with Bessarabia and then surely the map watchers will rejoice or find other nitpicks to hound you incessantly over.

Out of fashion? No, it's just that you're updating at shorter intervals, which is always good! Don't worry, we are still here, and glad to see that Tver is steaming along =)

I find that new Tver crest very impressive indeed, although it's hard to make out the emblem that is quartered with the Tverian knight. It looks like a castle, but I can't really be sure - do you have an enlarged picture?

EDIT : I saw it, it's right there on the first post of the AAR. It's a crown resting on a table/chair...

Lastly, I finally got around to making that family tree for my own AAR for which I asked your permission back in post #670 - the timing is just about right considering that the Rurikovichs have hit a dead end! I've also acknowledged the debt to your AAR, if not for actually inventing the idea, then for creating an excellent example which is known and seen by all.

Not bad, though I was hoping to avoid a reaction of pure hatred/dislike: they are meant to be, overall, positive characters who have taken extreme action in an extreme situation.

We're all on Tver's side (and, by extension, your side) here, but of course one's opinion of characters in a story is not necessarily the same as one's opinion of the author. I will confess that I'm actually nurturing quite a dislike for the two lead characters right now, and I'm really inclined to see them as villains. The whole matter of the coup, and putting private affairs of state affairs, is only the beginning - then there's shamelessly running headlong into Dishonourable Scum territory, and generally acting and speaking just as tyrannically as any other Rurikovich worthy of the name rather than actually making a difference for the better. So I have to say that no, they really don't come off as particularly positive - probably midway between the talented Rurikovichs and the nastier ones.

To be honest, I'm particularly put off by their rampant sexual innuendo, which makes me dislike the characters for their words rather than what they're actually doing. When used in moderation and at appropriate moments, it has the sting of wit about it, but when it turns out that their every moment seems to be devoted to making references to various bodily parts or functions without any sense of timing or purpose, it's frankly more distracting than entertaining. I'm not asking you to change your style - it's your work, you should be free to write as you please - but this is just a reader sharing some sincere feelings.

Last edited:
Incidentally Fyregecko, the Old Gods expansion for CK2 is out soon, so I will be aiming for either the most ancient Rurikovichs or whoever has Tver at the time for my run of this for my CK2 AAR. Which do you think should take precedence the family or the territory?

So I caught up after a year of being away from this AAR. I hope the other AARs I follow don't take this long!

Elena -5, so named for her habit of always being in a column of figures, whose usual refrain when called to a meal was "-5". Tver is now getting properly rounded bvorders. Getting into the right shape for the clash of the behemoths- Austria V Tver

Hello all :)

Just to say that I don't know when the next update will be – I have the screenshots for the next 2 or so, but I'm off to Poland tomorrow morning at stupid o' clock. Not sure how often I'll have internet access while I'm there, but I'll try and do some screenshot editing and upload them to Photobucket tonight, and take my tablet with me, so I might be able to put an update together while away. Otherwise, I'll be back in a bit under 2 weeks

However, for the moment I'll do replies, and some analysis, since I haven't done one for a while and Omen was asking about the eastern border :)

That's a great explanation for the odd name your advisor had. Now you need to find a way to fix that blemish with Bessarabia and then surely the map watchers will rejoice or find other nitpicks to hound you incessantly over.

Heh. The joys of trying to edit the game when you're not really qualified to do it. And the latter is probably true re: cartographers: they will celebrate, then tell me to rectify something else. Gits.

Out of fashion? No, it's just that you're updating at shorter intervals, which is always good! Don't worry, we are still here, and glad to see that Tver is steaming along =)

I find that new Tver crest very impressive indeed, although it's hard to make out the emblem that is quartered with the Tverian knight. It looks like a castle, but I can't really be sure - do you have an enlarged picture?

EDIT : I saw it, it's right there on the first post of the AAR. It's a crown resting on a table/chair...

Lastly, I finally got around to making that family tree for my own AAR for which I asked your permission back in post #670 - the timing is just about right considering that the Rurikovichs have hit a dead end! I've also acknowledged the debt to your AAR, if not for actually inventing the idea, then for creating an excellent example which is known and seen by all.

We're all on Tver's side (and, by extension, your side) here, but of course one's opinion of characters in a story is not necessarily the same as one's opinion of the author. I will confess that I'm actually nurturing quite a dislike for the two lead characters right now, and I'm really inclined to see them as villains. The whole matter of the coup, and putting private affairs of state affairs, is only the beginning - then there's shamelessly running headlong into Dishonourable Scum territory, and generally acting and speaking just as tyrannically as any other Rurikovich worthy of the name rather than actually making a difference for the better. So I have to say that no, they really don't come off as particularly positive - probably midway between the talented Rurikovichs and the nastier ones.

To be honest, I'm particularly put off by their rampant sexual innuendo, which makes me dislike the characters for their words rather than what they're actually doing. When used in moderation and at appropriate moments, it has the sting of wit about it, but when it turns out that their every moment seems to be devoted to making references to various bodily parts or functions without any sense of timing or purpose, it's frankly more distracting than entertaining. I'm not asking you to change your style - it's your work, you should be free to write as you please - but this is just a reader sharing some sincere feelings.

1) Good to know. I was experimenting with more, shorter updates since I really like the current 2 characters and wanted to get plenty of mileage out of them (since Beloselsky could get run over by an elephant at any time). I'm worried about something that I'll address in paragraph 4 though.

2) The arms, I simply took from the modern flag of the city of Tver. It also seemed to make sense for the Commonwealth, with the crown sitting, waiting for a worthy taker

3) And I'm honoured by your reference to this AAR, thank you :)

4) Now the tough bit :D I think that I understand what you're saying about Bel and Dobczyńska, and as one of the commenters who gives me the most detailed feedback, I'm definitely taking your thoughts on board. I think part of the problem might be, as I said in Para 1, the switch to shorter updates: it probably seems like the episodes consist entirely of screenshots and innuendo. Please believe me that this isn't my intention, but as you can tell I frequently come up with a lot of very bad attempts at jokes, usually of a puerile nature, while I find it harder to write meaningful dialogues that give more rounded insights into the characters.

I think I did better in this regard (though far from brilliantly!) in many previous chapters, and think that the more frequent updates are a large part of this drop in standards – a few times recent chapters have been taking longer than I anticipated, and I get them 'completed' and think 'sod it, that'll do' without doing a proper re-read.

As a result, I probably haven't 'developed' Beloselsky and Dobczyńska as much as I would like to. Yes, they use a lot of innuendo, and that won't change – it's been part of the character of the Dobczyńskis since pretty much the start of the AAR and isn't going to change now, and Beloselsky is not averse to that kind of thing either. I don't see this as a problem, but I can see where you're coming from – if it's coming across too much to you, as a reader, then that's a failing of me as a writer, and I should take more care when creating these two characters. I like them, and I want readers to like them, but I understand that they may well come across as too focused on other things, especially considering the great changes that they were at the forefront of.

I don't know if that addresses all of your concerns, but regardless, once I'd got over my initial 's/he's saying I'm rubbish :(:(:(' reaction (I take things far too personally), I realised that that wass one of the most useful comments I've had on the AAR. Thank you :)

Incidentally Fyregecko, the Old Gods expansion for CK2 is out soon, so I will be aiming for either the most ancient Rurikovichs or whoever has Tver at the time for my run of this for my CK2 AAR. Which do you think should take precedence the family or the territory?

Ah, now then. A fascinating question. I have CK2, though I haven't played it much, but I did check out Tver and it's ruled by another country/duchy, at least in the 1066 start.

If Tver is available as a separate duchy/whatever, I would personally say that Tver herself always takes precedence, but if not, then I'd say the family, especially if it's the Ruriks and especially in a dynasty-focused game like CK2. So playing as a Rurik and taking Tver off whoever owns it (again, assuming there is no playable 'Tver'), for instance, could be fun to watch. Shame you can't hire Polish advisors... ;)

I'd love to see a Tver or Tver-ish AAR in CK2, so I can't wait to see what you do with it. Consider mine a pre-order :)

So I caught up after a year of being away from this AAR. I hope the other AARs I follow don't take this long!

I'm...going to take that as a compliment on the basis of 'good things come to those who wait'. And besides, as Dobczyńska would note, it shows stamina.

ach tis good to see the bad puns still slipping out ... like ... like slippy things

rather liked the way you indeed gave Mazovia all they wanted, they asked for reconquest ... they got ... reconquested

We aim to please (I have a boring job, and I think of half of them while 'working'). And it seemed only fair: as you said, it would be impolite not to reconquer them, being rightful overlords of Poland and all. We are a big, sky-blue, happy, heavily-armed family.

Hopefully some kind person will code an imperial Tver for you! I wish I had the mad mod skills to do so, but alas.

How is eastward expansion looking?

That would be twenty shades of amazing :D I did try and create a new country once, but failed miserably.

And since you're so keen for a look at my expansion, it can be observed below.

Below this comment, that is.

Poor Elena = -5. A woman with a female patronymic, and a horribly misspelled one at that, with an impressive ability to grow facial hair. She must've had quite a confusing childhood.

Thankfully she lives near Uncle Anastas' Novelty Beard Emporium :) But yes, she had a tough upbringing, but emerged from it as one of the finest minds east of Edinburgh. A lesson to us all.

Elena -5, so named for her habit of always being in a column of figures, whose usual refrain when called to a meal was "-5". Tver is now getting properly rounded bvorders. Getting into the right shape for the clash of the behemoths- Austria V Tver

I think you're going to have to explain that one to me, slightly too high-brow for this time in the evening (20:23) :D And yes, I'm getting happier with the borders. Austria, yes, that battle must come, though they still have a far larger army than me (I'm building, both new regiments and more Army buildings).

I will fight them, definitely, but I want to finish off a few more expansion projects first and , if possible, finish westernising.

And without further ado, analysis...

The Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, 1671

Western Border

Eastern Border

Tech Levels and Income

National Ideas and Sliders

Vital Statistics, Prestige, Relations

Pie!1!!

Tech Overview

As I said, not sure when next Episode will be, but, for better or worse, it will happen. See you all soon :)

Sadly Old Gods came out before I saw your answer so I started playing as Rurik himself. I haven't yet moved the capitol to Tver but I do plan on it. The Rurikovichs dominate the north I promise you.

@ Chief Ragusa: Ah, I see. As ever, sir/madam Ragusa, your wit surpasses mine dull understanding.

@ BogMod: That sounds splendid, I only just noticed the link in your sig. I shall be diving in at the earliest tuneropperty!

@ blsteen: Always good to know that I have such esteemed commenters on board :) And it was one of those 'I shouldn't have him say this, but I can't resist it' moments when I was writing it.

Episode LXV: One Hit WonTver

Burgomeister's Residence, Tomsk, Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, 1671

In times of stress and difficulty, it is important to take a holiday. To remove oneself from the everyday routine, the grind, the pressure that comes with repetition and overwork. Nowhere is this more important than at the heart of government, especially the government of large, powerful nations full of warring factions, corruption and intrigue. And in human history, there has never been a finer example of such complexity as the Imperial Commonwealth of Tver.

It is equally important when leading such a huge, ethnically and culturally diverse nation to take stock of the interests of those who lie on the fringes of its governance, the brave pioneers who have stretched the Imperial border deep into the east, and the new subjects whose previous countries have been overtaken by the march of Tverian progress over the past centuries of the Empire's expansion. While leaders and diplomats from all corners of the Imperial Commonwealth were returned to the City of Tver with reports on developments in far-flung provinces, such reports are no substitute for personal experience. Or so, at least, was the belief of Mitrofan Beloselsky, Lord Protector.

So it was that the Lord Protector had taken himself and his advisors eastwards for a few months, setting himself up in the eastern trading city of Tomsk. A mere colony a few decades before, Tomsk was a rapidly-growing town under the supervision of Burgomeister-General Vellinton Tobermorov, a well-travelled man who had previously served the Empire as a diplomat in Bulgaria, and in Spanish colonies along the Orinoco River.

'So what you're telling me, Bungomeister...'

'Burgomeister.'

'Haven't considered changing your title?'

'No.'

'Oh well. You're saying that Kazakh uprisings across our southern border might present an opportunity for further expansion?'

'Yes, sir. The Persians are unable to control Turkestan. The province is lawless, overrun by nomad tribes.'

'Sounds like an ideal opportunity. We know a thing or two about dealing with steppe hordes.'

'My thoughts exactly, sir! Besides, how could Russians ever have trouble quelling rebel groups in the Middle East?'

'We shouldn't be too confident, but I agree that such a move would benefit the Commonwealth. I'll have our armies readied.'

'These people are different from us in culture, Lord Protector, but not unreasonable. They will be better off within the Commonwealth, once the flames of resistance have been smothered.'

'Did someone mention smothering resistance?'

'Morning, Dobczyńska.' The Lord Protector leaned back in his chair as Marta Hallie Dobczyńska, Captain of the Guard, stalked into the chamber.

'Morning, sir. You started early.'

'I always start early, Dobczyńska, but I never finish before schedule. Now what news from the capital?'

'The parliament have passed your proposed reforms of the Bill of Rights, sir. Our people can now enjoy more freedom than ever.'

'Resistance from the conservatives?'

'Always, sir. But we muddled through. I think they're starting to like you. Or at least, to hate you slightly less. We're also losing control of people.'

'Was that not the point, Dobczyńska?'

'I suppose so, sir. It's just that the administrators are bothered about it. Makes their paperwork harder.'

'The benefits outweigh a few administrative problems. If I am to have a legacy, I want to leave the Imperial Commonwealth a fairer, more prosperous nation. If that means changing our administrative protocols and annoying a few self-obsessed aristocrats then so be it.'

'Very well, sir. In better news, more uprisings in Silesia.'

'Good news indeed, but we've been here before Dobczyńska. The Austrian armies will deal with them.'

'I'm not so sure, sir. The King of Austria had gone off on another damn fool idealistic crusade like his father did.'

'So they might be a bit busy for rebel-whacking?'

'That's what I hope, sir. These Austrians have big ideas, but they're not great at staying in control. Not good at disciplining those who resist them.'

'On a completely unrelated note, new boots?'

'Well noticed, sir.'

The Burgomeister frowned. 'Why do you wear those ridiculous things anyway? Completely impractical.'

'Impractical? Do you wish to reconsider that analysis?'

'I will reconsider anything that allows my windpipe to reopen.'

'Splendid. Anyway, you looked like you were going to say something?'

The Burgomeister collected himself. 'Yes. Some of the merchants have concerns about the pace of change, sir. They feel that some of your reforms will hinder trade.'

'I appreciate their concerns, Burgomeister, but these monetary reforms will go ahead. Our merchants have adapted to changes before, this time will be no different.'

'In that case, sir, I request that further authority is given to my office. You've seen for yourself that it's difficult to rule a growing city such as this from a thousand leagues away.'

Dobczyńska arched an eyebrow. Beloselsky, though, stroked his beard thoughtfully. 'You would remain loyal servant of Tver, of course.'

'Yes, sir! I don't mean independence, merely devolution. The freedom to make minor adaptations to law and policy to reflect our rapidly-changing circumstances and our proximity to eastern rivals. All having to be approved by the Lord Protector, of course.'

The Lord Protector nodded. 'I trust you, Burgomeister. As long as I retain your loyalty – not to mention your tax income – you can run your city as you see fit, in accordance with Tverian Law.'

'Thank you, Lord Protector. If that will be all, I'll bimble off.'

'Yes, thank you Burgomeister.' The Burgomeister bimbled off, still massaging his throat.

'Dobczyńska, do you think it doesn't bother me? I didn't want this. I'd be quite happy as a diplomat, travelling the world. I wanted to see the empire, not lead it! I'm no soldier, I'm no administrator, I'm no leader! Why couldn't someone else do it?'

'The people wanted you, sir.'

'I love the people of Tver. What I did, I did for them as much as myself. Yes, I let my pride get the better of my judgement. My rebellion was ill-judged and ill-lead.'

'It was one of my easier victories.'

'But I had to do something! I have my pride, Dobczyńska. He insulted me, spat on my service to the empire.'

'I don't think anyone blames you for your rebellion, sir. It's more for that happened next.'

'I know. I wanted him dead, I won't deny it. I felt, I knew, that Tver needed him dead. But my enemies think that I did it to place myself on the throne! They think that I want the crown! The mantle of Lord Protector was placed on my shoulders, I didn't take it for myself!'

'And I was one of those who demanded it, sir. Yes, many hate you. Men and women with power and ambition who did well under Boris Rurikovich. But for the people of Tver, you are an icon. The one who stood against tyranny and incompetence.'

'And then launched a series of wars right after taking office?'

'You pacified our enemies, re-took the Empire's rightful territories. Boris Rurikovich had weakened Tver, you strengthened it. You made her enemies fear us, fear you. It didn't make you popular abroad, but it was necessary. If it wasn't, I'd have stopped you.'

'Would you?'

'I've done it before, sir.'

'How could I forget. And that's what makes me wonder if I'm cut out for this. It should be someone...trained for leadership.'

For the first time in Tver's history, a ruler has been picked for their qualities, not for their bloodline. There is nobody trained, sir. Nobody else would have been accepted. Like it or not, sir, it had to be you.'

'Well, maybe you're right Dobczyńska.'

'I'm a woman, sir. I'm always right.'

The Lord Protector smiled. 'Where would I be without you, Marta?'

'Probably on a spike somewhere with an excellent view of Tver and the surrounding province.'

'Well. Tahnk you, anyway.'

'You're welcome, sir.'

'Now then. What's happening on the southern border?'

'Khorasan's inability to control Moghulistan is well-acknowledged, sir. Maybe it's time to press a claim of our own?'

'Not the richest province...but yes, it would allow us to press our territories, and increase our trade income. Good plan.'

The Tverian pacification of Turkestan was a straightforward matter, and the province was soon under the control of Commonwealth forces.

'What else is happening in Europe, Dobczyńska?'

'The Finnish are approaching.'

'But it's nowhere near 1821.'

'...what?'

'Nothing, just an old superstition. What's finishing?'

'The oppression of the Finns.'

'Impressive. Although...Estland?'

'Looks like the Estonians didn't want their own state. Not the most patriotic of patriots..what I do know is that while poor, Estland is strategically valuable.'

'Indeed. We need to start exerting control of the Baltic, Dobczyńska. And we have a strong claim to Estland, much stronger than Finland's.'

'We won't get a better chance, this. We can strike before they start accumulating alliances.'

'Very well. Make it as quick and clean as possible, Dobczyńska.'

The army of Tver marched into Estonia without any difficulty.

'The defenders of Reval surrendered easily, I see.'

'Yes, sir. Though their commander did give them a bit of a Tallinn off.'

Negotiations were short. Beloselsky had no interest in Finland's Scandinavian territories, merely in those which belonged to the Commonwealth. With assurances given that the Estonians' cultural freedoms would be guaranteed by the Imperial Bill of Rights, Estland was acquired by the Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, completing the Window on the West envisioned a century before.

The Lord Protector was most satisfied.

'Excellent work, Dobczyńska. Efficient and professional.'

'You weren't so bad yourself, sir.'

'With our Baltic holdings expanded we can look at developing a navy. Useful if we come into further conflict with the Danes. Now, what's happening in the Empire?'

'It's getting complicated, sir. The electors have had enough of the King of Liege taking the benefits of office but refusing to defend Imperial states from outside aggression.'

'So shocking, these outside aggressors. Well, they have nothing to fear from us at elast.'

'coughBohemiacough*

'What was that, Dobczyńska?'

'Bohemia, sir, will likely provide another Emperor, since the electors still hate Austria for, well, being Austria.'

'We've beaten Bohemia plenty of times before...'

'I now have a discount in at least four shops in Prague.'

'But with the Imperial crown back in their grubby fingers...we'll have to keep an eye on them.'

'Definitely, sir. Though talking of Emperors, the ambassador from Byzantium sends his greetings.'

'Return his greetings, and give him a suitably golden eagley souvenir. Always liked Byzantium.'

'Despite the whole “becoming Catholic and having their capital in Athens” thing?'

'Austria holds Constantinople, and they're not going to get Rome any time soon. Athens makes more sense than most places.'

'I suppose so, sir. And finally, we have another new province.'

'Oh? Where?'

'The Russian Patriots we sponsored in Karelia finally took total control. Denmark are too busy with other wars. Karelia is ours, sir.'

'Outstanding, Dobczyńska. More Russians freed from the foreign yoke, clasped to the warm embrace of Tver!'

'Looks like you're getting the hang of this leadership thing, Mitrofan.'

'For now, Marta. For now at least, it's all going rather well. Our empire grows, our enemies' voices are drowned by those of support. The road ahead will be hard.'

'And I'll be with you, sir. Every step of the way.'

Is it just me or have you added shading to Marta's breasts? ;)

EDIT: Nope, it was there all along. My compliments though, they look particuarly well-rounded this time around.

Also, do me a personal favour and station a huge oppressing army in Silesia for them to never rise up in revolt again...

Damn it! I missed an update. On the positive front, I get to read two. Now that you have your western border cleaned up a bit, it is good to see Tver looking eastward. Well, south-eastward.

Anything interesting going on around the world?

Some minor gains there but any expansion is good expansion. Imperial Tver must bring constitutionally enshrined freedom to all the oppressed and unoppressed peoples on its borders. How old are the power couple now? They feel like they've been around for longer than other rulers or perhaps it's just my faulty perspective.

in game, pretty steady progress, but somehow this combination raises all sorts of concerns:

Not good at disciplining those who resist them.'

'On a completely unrelated note, new boots?'

Marta's relationship with Mitrofan is indeed one of leading an idiot to water (or some similar mixed metaphor)