• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 25: Preparations, part 3 - September 3 - December 23 ,1939

On September 3rd, 2 more garrison brigades were ordered to complete the divisions at Vigo and Porto. Franco also ordered the I. and II. corps, and IV. corps to deploy to defensive (and potentially offensive) positions.

19390903IandIICorps.jpg
19390903IVcorps.jpg

On September 7th, the new infantry brigades were ready to help swell the ranks of the I. and II. Corps. Some more AA guns and a heavy cruiser are ordered.

On September 8th, Franco discussed the situation with his foreign Minister, Messia. Messia told him that Greece was drifting into the allied camp and it would be wise to keep an eye on them at the border between our territory in the Balkans and Greece. He suggested that when Spain entered a wider war, that an additional corps of infantry be ready to be shipped to Yugoslavia in case of a Greek attack.

19390908Greece.jpg

On September 16, Franco heard from his ministers about German infantry capabilities. It appeared that Spanish capabilities were not much lower, with a typical infantry division having an attack strength of 3, and a defense strength of 4. Compared with the Spanish divisions, which had attack of 3 and defense of 3. They noted with interest the deployment of motorized divisions consisted of 2 motorized infantry and 2 tank destroyer brigades.

19390916infantrycomparison.jpg

By the 18th, Warsaw was almost completely surrounded. And by the 20th, Franco had reports of German troops holding the city. Warsaw would fall, and thus the whole country would surrender by the 22nd.

19390918Warsaw.jpg

The Germans have Warsaw almost completely surround on September 18
19390921poland.jpg

On September 22, Germany issued a call to arms. Franco had to weigh whether it would be worthwhile entering the war before he was quite ready. He still had troops in north Africa moving into position, and would not do anything until then. He would also order the corps in Yugoslavia to fan out for defensive positions against Greece, in case they join the war. Two interceptor wings were dispatched to Yugoslavia (one to Tirane and one to Beograd) to defend against any potential British bombing.

19390922Calltoarms.jpg

On the 27th, the troops were in place, and a Garrison division was deployed to Bilbao. Franco still was not ready to go to war with the powerful west. Franco ordered more officers to be recruited to man his divisions. Franco had also heard that the Germans had invaded Denmark and were not meeting much resistance if any.

19390930denmark.jpg

On October 3rd, France’s Ambassador relayed the message that because of Spain’s membership in the axis, they would not trade with them anymore. The first wing of Naval bombers were deployed to Seville. They would help to attack the British fleet in port if they could be caught at Gibraltar. Another wing of naval bombers were licenced from Japan, and another wing of interceptors were ordered.

19391003prod.jpg

Production as of October 3

On the 5th, Spain receives another communiqué from Germany to assist them in this war. Since Franco hasn’t heard of Italy’s acceptance (or offer) of a call to arms, he decides to wait. Besides, the new infantry brigades, deployed on September 7 still have not reached full organization.

Around the 7th, the Soviets had cancelled a trade agreement that left Spain in a deficit for coal, steel and rare materials. The Swedes quickly offered Franco enough steel to turn the deficit into a slight surplus, and a trade with Germany quickly gained enough coal.

On the 9th, Franco accepted a trade deal with the USA, knowing full well that when entered the larger war, he would have to cancel it to conserve the convoys.

19391009tradesembargo.jpg

On October 14, Germany conquered Denmark.

A week later, on the 21st, another call to arms came, but still Franco was not ready to answer.

On the 23rd, a Garrison division for Santander was deployed.

On November 4, Franco was informed that Poland had embargoed Spain. “Ha!” he laughed, “There is no Poland left!”

On November 8, the vanquished Denmark also embargoed Spain.

Nov 9: The last Garrison Division was deployed at Cadiz.

Nov 10: The 2 extra garrison brigades finish and are added to the divisions at Vigo and Porto. Franco was beginning to realize the drawback of refusing to join the German war. Relations had taken a nose dive with the Germans, and now they could not buy any production licences. Franco decided to buy a licence from the Italians, to work closer with the Germans to be able to buy arms, and accept the next call to arms.

19391110Germanydip.jpg

Nov. 18: The second Mountain division was complete and a new corps was created to house the 2 divisions. Another interceptor wing was put into production.

On the 20th, Spanish flyers rejoiced! They had researched upgrades to the airframes and the fuel tanks of Spanish fighters. They would now be able to upgrade the outdated fighters.

19391120research.jpg

On December 3, Slovakia offered to help Spain with metal shortages. These offers were graciously accepted.

Dec. 10: Another garrison division was deployed and shipped to defend the port at Tanger.

On Dec. 16: Spanish researchers researched improvements in single engine airplane armaments. Our fighters would be able to defend Spanish Skies even better!

19391216research.jpg

On the 17th, Another call to arms arrives from Berlin. Franco decided that would accept at the last possible moment and then begin his attack on Gibraltar.

The following day, Franco purchased the rights to produce 2 groups of Maestrale class destroyers from Italy.

19391218prodlic.jpg

At 2pm on December 23rd, Franco accepted Hitler’s call to arms, and Spain ushered in a dangerous new era, one where they were at war with the west.

19391223Calltoarms.jpg

Is there a particular reason for you to build so many fixed AA positions? I thought they do not add to construction practical in FTM any more.

Great AAR so far. The tension is extremely high after that last post. :)

I cant see that you have built much of a fleet. Gibralter is the key, if you fail there your Balkans Empire will be lost.

I have a few ships in the build queue, but I haven't build much of a fleet yet.

Is there a particular reason for you to build so many fixed AA positions? I thought they do not add to construction practical in FTM any more.

In past games, the British have Strategically Bombed Yugoslavia a lot (when I played as Germany and Italy). So most of my AA positions are to protect provinces with high IC somewhat from Strat Bombing. From what I understand, fixed AA also builds artillery practical.

It's war! Let's see how the French react: will they strip their German borders, weakening themselves even more against German aggression, to safeguard their southern borders with you?

I must admit to a certain degree of ambivalence: I look forward to a long and interesting AAR, but part of me also wishes to see the French march in and restore the Republic. ;) Well, that's never going to happen...

It's war! Let's see how the French react: will they strip their German borders, weakening themselves even more against German aggression, to safeguard their southern borders with you?

That may not happen, since the French use a different theatre to manage southern France, and the AI isn't good at balancing existing units between the needs of its theatres. What might happen is that troops are redirected from the Italian border, which will just make that front collapse all the more quickly.

In past games, the British have Strategically Bombed Yugoslavia a lot (when I played as Germany and Italy). So most of my AA positions are to protect provinces with high IC somewhat from Strat Bombing. From what I understand, fixed AA also builds artillery practical.

Good planning but I hope game will reward you for it. The British Strategic Bombers are wrecking Milan in my AAR, even with level three AA.

Good planning but I hope game will reward you for it. The British Strategic Bombers are wrecking Milan in my AAR, even with level three AA.

Lets hope that the Border is left relatively weak so you can make the major advances!

That may not happen, since the French use a different theatre to manage southern France, and the AI isn't good at balancing existing units between the needs of its theatres. What might happen is that troops are redirected from the Italian border, which will just make that front collapse all the more quickly.

I must admit to a certain degree of ambivalence: I look forward to a long and interesting AAR, but part of me also wishes to see the French march in and restore the Republic. ;) Well, that's never going to happen...

I'm gonna try to get a new post up tonight. We'll see how quickly I can get all the screen shots done. It was a VERY eventful first month of the wider war.....

Chapter 26: The Orders Are Given, December 23, 1939

Spain was now at war with the west.

19391223UkWar.jpg

Before the the assault began, Franco had reassigned some of his better generals to Gibraltar. He personally handpicked General Alonso Vega to lead the assault on Gibraltar, assigning him to the 29th Infantry Division. He spoke to him before Spain joined the war and said that this would be the lynchpin in Spain’s ability to defend herself from foreign invasion.

19391223generals.jpg

Four divisions were ordered in the initial wave of attacks, leaving 6 in reserve. The 21st, 22nd, 27th and 29th would attack, supported by the tactical bombers attacking the port, and two wings of interceptors flying missions above the ground troops.

19391223interceptororders.jpg
19391223Bomberorders.jpg

IV Corps was given orders to head south and east to take French North Africa.

19391223moroccoorders.jpg

Seeing a lack of opposition at the border, the I and II corps were ordered to a line up against the Garonne river that could be easily defended.

19391223Frenchorders.jpg

I hope the French Army wont give you a nasty surprise once you reach that river. The expansion of the Spanish colonies in North-Africa will go quite easy I think, nothing really there to oppose you :p I look forward to the next update!

I see you decided to take out the biggest threat in the east first, Zog will not be around to make you kneel! now nothing can stop you :)

I see you decided to take out the biggest threat in the east first, Zog will not be around to make you kneel! now nothing can stop you :)

Strike him down and he shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...

The early going promises to be good. Onwards to Gibraltar, onwards to Bordeaux!

Onwards and upwards!

I hope the French Army wont give you a nasty surprise once you reach that river. The expansion of the Spanish colonies in North-Africa will go quite easy I think, nothing really there to oppose you :p I look forward to the next update!

French. . . pffft.

Can't you set war goals for all members of the Allies?

you can. I just didn't show the war goal I set for France, which was "Western France". Apparently, you can't set a war goal for French North Africa.

Strike him down and he shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...

Hahahahaha. great Star Wars reference. But really, was Obi Wan that much more powerful after he was struck down? I mean, all he could really do was whisper sweet nothings into Luke's ear.

Will the Rock shatter? Thats quite a force you have gathered for the offensive, 10 divisions in all. Are they 3inf+1art each?

The Pyrenees front looks good, not many French division in sight.

Yes, all my inf. divisions in Spain itself are 3 inf + 1 art each. The 5 divisions in North Africa are 3 inf, and the 5 divisions in Yugoslavia are 2 inf + 1 art.