• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 22: War with Hungary part 2 - October 1 - 31, 1938

On October 1, Hungary halted their attack of Monor, and three new artillery brigades were complete. An engineer brigade was purchased from Italy, and another Garrison division was ordered.

19381001licenceeng.jpg

Oct. 2: The fighting in the east was getting tough, with several Hungarian Divisions threatening the few Spanish divisions in the region. There was one win and one loss.

19381003east.jpg

On the 4th, Franco was informed of two battle losses. He hoped that these failures would be rectified soon. Also on the 4th, Spain’s longest range fighters, the Messerschmitts, saw combat and helped protect the bombers from Hungarian fighter attack.

19381004airbattle.jpg

On the 5th, Gyor was won, and there was a Spanish division racing to cut off the Hungarians at Tata. Franco decided to have two divisions attack at Hatvan, and one at Cegled in order to prevent reinforcements from reaching Budapest.

19381005Gyor.jpg

By the 8th, Franco could slowly see his divisions getting into position surrounding Budapest. Within 2 days, they would be ready to attack all at once.

19381008HatvanCegled.jpg

On the 9th, Franco attacked Szolnok again, this time with bomber support.
Early in the morning on the 10th, Szolnok was taken, and the Assault on Budapest began.

19381010szolnik.jpg

On the 12, with another province bordering Budapest falling to Spain, the noose around the capital tightened and the attack was begun. Partisans back in Portugal arose...

19381011Budapest.jpg
19381012uprising.jpg

On the 15th, the first battle of Budapest was lost.

19381015budapest.jpg

On the 16th,we took the province of Salgotarjan and the Hungarians again tried to take the province of Monor from us.

19381016salgotarjan.jpg

On the 17th, Franco decided to take a chance by sending the 4th Inf. Div. to Jaszbereny. It did open up a province to be slid into by the Hungarians, but the other divisions would soon be in the area to assist if necessary.

19381017Jaszbereny.jpg

On the 18th, our troops finally won at Cegled, and again move closer to a complete surrounding of Budapest.

On the 19th, three more attacks were opened up: another at Budapest, one at Gyongyos and one at Hatvan.

19381019surroundingbudapest.jpg

On the 22nd Budapest was lost again, losing over 2000 men in the process. Franco had now lost over 3600 men and still had not taken Budapest.

19381022budapestloss.jpg

On the 26th, Hatvan was finally won. It cost over 1000 Spanish lives, but now Budapest was completely surrounded. Franco ordered another attempt to defeat Hungary.

19381026hatvan.jpg
19381027budapestsurround.jpg

On the 28th, Budapest was won!

19381029budapestcapture.jpg

On the 30th, the troops could rest, as the Spanish empire had expanded as far as Franco was willing to take it for the time being.

19381030winhungary.jpg
19381031Balkans.jpg

What about the resurfaced Portugal? Did you finish them off yet?

Oh, and I honestly never expected Spain to play such a prevalent role in the Balkans. I am sure Mussolini is steaming with envy right now.

Pfff... you only went for Hungary because I said Greece... :p

Well, there is a bit of a time crunch if you want to get your own paws on Hungary before they join the Axis. Greece has its own deadline, but if you take Albania before Italy does that takes the heat off the Greeks.

What about the resurfaced Portugal? Did you finish them off yet?

Oh, and I honestly never expected Spain to play such a prevalent role in the Balkans. I am sure Mussolini is steaming with envy right now.

Portugal has been a non-factor, although we're technically still at war. I managed to destroy their fleet so they're not going to be a problem. Franco's playing Mussolini like a Stradivarius.

Treaty of Munich, then attacking remaining Czechoslovakia?

Nope. Sorry to disappoint. As mentioned, I don't want a border with the Soviets. And I'm not attacking Greece because I don't want to have to defend another 7 or 8 ports (and islands) against UK invasions. Spain will never be a major power in this game, but we definitely plan to have a much larger sphere of influence than Franco did in real life. The idea is contribute to an Axis win and take as much of the spoils as possible. My general rule in this game is to be able to defend any land that we gain. The number of divisions needed to garrison Greece, or defend against the Soviets is way more than I'll be able to produce. The biggest limitation is manpower. As you can see from the latest chapter, there's a serious expansion of the army coming over the next year. The lack of MP really plays havoc with what we're able to do and still be able to reinforce when fighting comes again.

To help illustrate how strong we've actually become, I'll go into my saves and put up the summary of axis brigades for the next post, and you'll see how Spain stacks up in November 1938, and again by the time we get dragged into the wider war (I've played up to when Spain answers the "Call to Arms," but no further). I'm actually going to try to get those chapters (probably 3 of them) up by the weekend . . . I'm really getting into the game, and I want to play further, but don't want to play beyond what I'm posting!

Well, there is a bit of a time crunch if you want to get your own paws on Hungary before they join the Axis. Greece has its own deadline, but if you take Albania before Italy does that takes the heat off the Greeks.

Well said eqqman. Hungary usually gets into the Axis sometime in mid-1938. I noticed that they hadn't joined yet and made the call to be a little bit opportunistic.

EDIT: Spam has been removed!

Last edited:
Good AAR, i'll be reading..... What are your plans on Romania

Welcome Shenaniganz! Plans are to leave Romania alone. I don't want a border with the Soviets. I don't really foresee doing a lot of fighting against the Sovs, unless I feel my army is teched up and strong enough to hold large areas of territory. If they're getting to a kickass level, I might take romania, and then try to hold the southern flank of Barbarossa. There are other options too, depending on the situation in the Mediterranean.

But the short answer is: no plans for romania.

Franco should demand the restoration of Spanish colonies in South America! (While not worth much in terms of industry or leadership, you can get all sorts of resources from there...

Better to just puppet them then.

Better to just puppet them then.

Agreed eqqman. I think there are two things about attacking South America that are daunting, particularly at this point in the game (I'm almost ready to post my next update, which talks a lot about plans for the next couple of years).

First is that the number of troops that would be needed to defend against American invasions that will inevitably arise from attacking South America is huge, and I don't have near enough manpower for what I want to do in Europe and North Africa at the moment.

The second, is (while I'm not entirely sure about this) is that a DoW on a South American country could bring the USA into the Allies right away (becaue I'm already in the Axis). Again, not something I'm particularly in a hurry to rush.

Chapter 23: Preparations, part 1 - November 1, 1938 - March 31, 1939

On November 1, the war mongering was over. Franco flew to Berlin again to meet with Hitler and discuss plans for the future. The German Fuhrer had already annexed Austria and had designs on Czechoslovakia. He spoke of “Lebensraum” and the Bolshevik scourge. However, in Berlin, rumours were flying about a possible joint English/French pact to protect other potential targets of German aggression. Hitler assured Franco that he would take back the Prussian lands that were rightfully part of the greater German Reich. This meant preparing for war with the West. However, it was clear that this war against the west would be one that Hitler did not desire. Therefore, he would go to war with them reluctantly. He felt that the real enemy would be the Soviets.

Franco left their meeting with his mind swirling. He walked around Berlin and tried to formulate a strategy. Fortunately, plans were already moving ahead to fill out his army, despite potential manpower problems in the future. He was already planning to take Gibraltar from the British, and take on the French, both in France and in Morocco. If he could solidify holdings there, then perhaps when Hitler was ready to attack the Soviets, troops could be moved into place, but for now, he had no desire to put himself or parts of his newly acquired empire into reach of the Soviet Union.

He decided that it was time to recover, work on advancing his country’s technological levels, and expand the army. Fortunately, with the new subjects of his Spanish Empire, there were more minds to put to work in research and for the training of new officers. There were now more factories to produce the equipment to arm all of the men who were to undergo training. Because of manpower constraints, the next year would have Franco training thousands of men for their difficult job of defending and expanding the Spanish Empire. Franco would spend research time improving doctrines and technology for infantry and artillery, and remain very simple in the production of new units. Just infantry and artillery, no more armour for the next year. The only other troops would be 2 divisions of mountaineers, and garrison divisions, consisting of 2 Gar brigades, and one AA brigade.

As manpower runs low, he would switch manufacture over to the airforce and navy. While Franco knew that his navy would never be able to match that of the British, French, or Italians, it would need to be able to protect shipping lanes, defend against enemy invasions, and get his men from one side of the Mediterranean to the other.

Franco decided that he would have to invest research and IC on a light and fast navy. He would have to research the Heavy Cruisers himself, but he would buy production licences for destroyers and light cruisers from the Japanese and Italians. He was also expanding the Air Force, to defend the skies (with interceptors), and to bomb enemy invasion fleets with Naval Bombers. The Naval bombers would be produced under licence, also from the Italians and Japanese, while for the time being, Franco would invest the research of his own great scientific minds into improving his own, Spanish-designed fighter planes.

The time between November 1, 1938 and March 31, 1939 was a quiet one for the Spanish Empire. In terms of research, advances were made in Light Artillery, Artillery Barrel and Ammunition, Industrial Production, Infantry support weapons, and Infantry Anti-Tank Weapons.

19381101advances.jpg

Troops deployed in this period were 1 mountain division, 2 Garrison divisions, 3 infantry brigades, 1 motorized brigade, 1 engineer brigade, and 1 infantry division.

19381129mountaindiv.jpg

1st Mountain Division
193903191starmourdiv.jpg

The first Spanish Armoured division as of March 31, 1939. Another armoured brigade was still under construction

Other important events or instructions delivered by Franco are as follows:

19381129prod.jpg

Production as of November 29, 1938

On January 24, Franco noticed that the Garrison division at Vigo held 2 Gar and 2 AA brigades. He decided to split the division in to two divisions (1Gar, 1AA) and eventually top them up with another Garrison brigade.

Feb 6: One might notice that the upgrades are currently being starved in favour of production. Franco wanted the upgraded equipment to be produced later on. He ordered another infantry division to be trained. This would be the fourth of (hopefully 10) infantry divisions that would be deployed at Gibraltar. Franco also prioritized his infantry (over the naval bomber).

19390217production.jpg

Production as of February 17, 1939. Note the manpower of 102 (excuse the overlap of 6a, 11a and 13a Divison)

March 13: The first new infantry division was completed and positioned in Montellano, north of Gibraltar. 1 more was ordered.

1939031321stinfantrydiv.jpg

March 19: Engineer Brigade is complete and attached the armoured division.

On the 27th of March, the Germans annexed the rest of Czechoslovakia (who briefly mobilized before giving in without a fight), and the UK guaranteed the independence of Poland. If the UK honoured their guarantee, it meant that Germany (and eventually Spain) could be at war with the UK by year's end.

19390327annexczech.jpg

March 29: Spain's neighbour and future enemy, France mobilizes.

19390329francemoblize.jpg

You've ripped up the Balkans nicely, but now the big boys are shuffling to their starting lines. Your plans are pretty ambitious - but as long as the British don't invade wholesale and the French are properly occupied/destroyed by a German invasion, you should be able to pull it off.

I am curious to see how hard a nut Gibraltar will be to crack.

You've ripped up the Balkans nicely, but now the big boys are shuffling to their starting lines. Your plans are pretty ambitious - but as long as the British don't invade wholesale and the French are properly occupied/destroyed by a German invasion, you should be able to pull it off.

I am curious to see how hard a nut Gibraltar will be to crack.

me too! As mentioned above, I've played right up to the point where I accept the German call to arms... I've got two more updates to do (probably in the next day or two) before I continue my game and see what happens.

I'll give you a hint and let you know that the call to arms came way before i was expecting it, and the end result was that I moved up my timetable by a few months, so I'm hoping that the infantry divisions that I've been able to produce and deploy will be able to crack "the Rock".

I am fairly confident that I can hold off a British invasion. particularly once I take Gibraltar. That would mean that any invasion force would either have to attack on the Atlantic coast (where I've placed my garrison forces) or they would have to travel through the Suez to get to me, and once Gibraltar's taken, I should have at least a corps of infantry available to use as fire brigades against invasions (when my MP recovers, I'll license and produce some motorized divisions for that purpose too).

Chapter 24: Preparations, part 2 - April 1 - September 2, 1939

Between April and September of 1939, Franco continued his build up. In this period of time, intellectual advances were made in Infantry Warfare, Mass Assault, Heavy AA guns, Small Arms, Supply production, Assault concentration, Agriculture, and Industrial Capacity Efficiency.

19390401advances.jpg

9 Infantry Divisions, 1 armoured brigade, and the first self-built Provincial Anti-Aircraft guns under Franco’s regime were deployed.

April 4: 22nd Infantry Division finished. Another one is added.

April 14: Luxembourg Mobilizes! Franco quakes in his boots!

19390414Luxemburg.jpg

May 2: Finally Spain’s first armoured division is complete. 2 more infantry divisions go in to the queue, giving Franco 9 in training or completed for our 2 corps deployed near Gibraltar

193905021starmour.jpg

May 4: Slovakia joins the Axis.

19390504slovakia.jpg

Looking at the number of divisions deploying over the next several months, Franco orders more officers to be trained.

19390504tech.jpg

May 18: 23rd Infantry Division deploys to the V. Corps. The last infantry division gets ordered.

June 5: 24th infantry division is complete. Construction starts on heavy AA guns for defence at Lisbon, and a Garrison division.

19390605prod.jpg

Production queue for June 5, 1939. Note that Manpower is down to 67

June 7: 25th infantry division deploys. The 9 infantry brigades are now ordered (to fill out the I. and II. Corps).

June 26: The 26th Infantry division deploys near Gibraltar. They join the newly formed VI. Corps.

July 3: Government nationalizes the private sector.

19390703privatesector.jpg

July 11: 27th Infantry Division deploys at Estepona. A garrison and mountain divisions are ordered. Franco realizes that his manpower is getting low and will have focus more on his air and naval power over the coming months and years.

1939071127thinfantry.jpg

July 28: Our first Anti-Aircraft guns are built in Lisbon. More will be built, particularly for high IC provinces in the Balkans.

19390728.jpg

August 6: 28th and 29th Infantry Divisions deploy. Another Garrison division is ordered, and so is another interceptor wing.

August 7: Hitler arrives at a non-agression pact with Stalin. This allows Franco to breathe slightly easier about the east, for now. Hitler’s repeated anti-Soviet statements lead him to believe that this is only a temporary arrangement.

19390807MRPact.jpg

Aug. 9: Germany Moblizes.

19390809Germanymobilize.jpg

Aug. 19: 30th Infantry Division is complete. Japan accepts an offer for us to produce an Agano class light cruiser.

19390819japprodlic.jpg

Sept. 2: The day has finally come. Hitler sends an ultimatum to Poland to return the “Free City” of Danzig to German control. When he is refused, he the fury of Germany’s might army into Poland. Subsequently, the Allies – Great Britain, France and their puppets – declare war on Germany. This was not completely unexpected for Franco, but for now, he will sit and wait to see how the situation turns out before joining a wider war.

19390902Danzig.jpg

Note that manpower is now down to 35

Heh I've spent so much time playing minors recently that I get shocked to hear you call 50 manpower "low".