• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
War, what is it good for?

In Crusader Kings II, hopefully you'll gain some titles and in the best of worlds, imprison or behead your enemy. In order to declare a war you'll first need a valid Casus Belli against your enemy(a CB held by a vassal or courtier will of course do as well). You cannot attack the vassals of someone, so if you want one of their titles you have to attack their liege. Also, unlike Europa Universalis III and Victoria II, once a war has started it cannot be extended by adding further wargoals or CBs.

Instead, each CB has three options scripted: Demand Defeat, White Peace and Reversed Demands. As an example, let's look at the Claim CB. This CB lets you attack people holding titles you have claims on. If the war is going well, you can demand that your enemy give his title to you and as a bonus you'll gain a small amount of prestige. If you fail to achieve your goal, you could sue for a white peace instead. You'd want to avoid this though, since signing a white peace gives you a prestige hit(you didn't achieve your goals, after all). White peace is still preferable to the reversed demand however, since if your enemy enforces this, you will both lose the claim and get a huge prestige hit.

CrusaderKingsII_War_2.png

While most wars will end in a peace treaty, this is not the only way they can end. Some CBs have effects that trigger when the leader of an alliance dies. An example of this is the Invasion CB, which is currently used by William against Harold. When the leader of the attacking alliance dies, the war immediately ends. Be careful when going to war with your old king...

Another part of wars is the warscore. Like our other games, you'll gain warscore by occupying enemy holdings(the capital is worth more, vassal holdings are worth less) and winning battles(in CK2, they are worth a lot of warscore). We've also added a warscore effect if the contested title is left with no controller change for some time. After three years(currently), warscore is slowly added to the person controlling the area. This means that it's now possible to win a war as a) a defender in a war by just defending your title or b) attacking someone, sieging down the title you want and then just stand still and defend those provinces. By the way, if you manage to capture and imprison the enemy leader(for example, in a battle), this automatically counts as 100% warscore. We've also removed all limits to warscore, so whoever reaches >=100% first by any combination of occupation, battles, controlling the correct territory and imprisonment automatically wins the war.

CrusaderKingsII_War_1.png

Last but not least we have tagged some CBs to be "hostile against others", for example the Invasion CB. The effect of this is that two parties contesting the same title will fight each other even if they are not at war. It might be better as William to wait a bit until Harald and Harold both have worn down their armies...

'Till next time!
Fredrik Zetterman
Programmer, Paradox Interactive

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to have vassals stop getting unruly with their leige when it's in their interest to stay in. I little common sense would be a benifit for them.
And if you could choose to send a specific courtier (instead of king) to battle with a prestige and confidence gain for him in case of success or capture/hanging in case of failure that would be swell.

Last edited:
question: if I have a claim on duchy X which has vassals, will I when I gain control of duchy X also gain the vassals under him?

PS anyone else dissapointed by the starting quote? a certain quote from another game which is named after radioactive waste comming down after a nuclear explosion would have been much cooler :D

War, War never changes.

Hi can you explain cost of war? In CK I wars was very expensive (for players ofc) but actually in this period plundering, taking hostages and so on was very profitable see border wars during XII-XIII century in the middle east between christian and muslim rulers.

B rgds
Ossur

And what about if I were a count or something lower then the Emperor and he is my liege. Can I go to war against the pagans by myself or not?

It were so annoying times in CK when I, as Pommern, decleared war on some nearby pagans and haven't the time to siege their provinces, because the stupid king made a white peace.
Is there any chance to keep the siege and to continue the war?

Would really be a great pleasure I think..
Or is a vassall not allowed to decleare war on heretics,pagans, moslems,..? I mean yes they are indepentend countries, but.. They were different, not like us.^^

Perhaps a crazy idea, but would it be an idea if instead of one decision maker with regards to peace deals, multiple parties might have a say? So even if the king is alliance leader, he can't just give away your title in the peace negotiations without you (haha) and perhaps other vassals having to agree with that. Perhaps something like a voting system?