• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that's the thing. I downloaded it, but afterwards I have no idea how to activate it. It appears as a JZip file and won't appear in the mods list when I launch the game.

Unzip it and move the folder and file into the mod folder inside the game folder.

A naval movement/supply range question:

Let's say I select a fleet and hover over a sea zone, and it shows me how far it is from Norfolk, where the fleet is based. What determines where the movement is calculated from? Will it change from Norfolk to Tampa if I call at Tampa port when Tampa has no naval base? What about when Tampa does have a naval base?

Another noob question:

Taxes and Tariffs.

I'm a bit new to the economic system on Vicky 2, as I've only ever played EUIII, HOI2 and Darkest Hour before now. What would be the maximum recommended levels of tax to hit each class with? My reading on the forum so far suggests that my worthy lefty tactic of taxing the rich until you can hear the pips squeak, and keeping them lower on those at the bottom is at odds with received wisdom. Do I need to keep taxes on the aristos and capitalists low in order to encourage them to invest? Linked to that, how damaging or otherwise are tariffs, and how high is too high? (I think I've got it on about 10% at present).

Thanks in advance!

Another noob question:

Taxes and Tariffs.

I'm a bit new to the economic system on Vicky 2, as I've only ever played EUIII, HOI2 and Darkest Hour before now. What would be the maximum recommended levels of tax to hit each class with? My reading on the forum so far suggests that my worthy lefty tactic of taxing the rich until you can hear the pips squeak, and keeping them lower on those at the bottom is at odds with received wisdom. Do I need to keep taxes on the aristos and capitalists low in order to encourage them to invest? Linked to that, how damaging or otherwise are tariffs, and how high is too high? (I think I've got it on about 10% at present).

Thanks in advance!
It depends on a country you are playing with.

My advice (well, I'm not the guru): at start tax 100% everyone. Initial effectiveness is usually low anyway. Capitalists are unreiable, you'll organize industry much better yourself.

I usually put tariffs on 0%, otherwise it hurts my economy.

Another noob question:

Taxes and Tariffs.

Thanks in advance!

I am also far from an expert, plus I've only played with countries that basically have infinite money and plenty income, so I had no reason to keep taxes high. Still, here are additional factors:

You want your POPs to be able to meet their needs. I think this is why the pie chart about how much of your lower/middle/upper class is able to meet life needs/everydays needs and so on is right next to the tax slider. For example, if you increase taxes and see a "Partially meets life needs" slice show up and increase, you may want to reconsider. I think POPs who cannot meet their needs are more likely to rebel.

Also too high taxes may leave capitalists with inadequate money to invest, but I'm not sure if that's how it works. For all POPs, though, excess money after needs and taxes go to your national bank. Not very sure what exactly that does for you. Capitalists may be able to borrow from there to build factories, or something.

I usually put tariffs on 0%, otherwise it hurts my economy.

It depends. When I play as the USA, a high tariff seems to help speed up industrialization, but low tariffs work best for small countries that can't create a large internal market.

1. I've read that spherering China tends to screw up your economy early game because their huge population and production from artisans will kill your factories. Does the reverse work though? I formed Greater Germany in 1860 and quickly because the number 1 power in the world by far, more than double GB's industry. I sphered Denmark around that time. It is now 1910 and Denmark literally has 0 factories. Meanwhile, I've annexed almost all of Italy, and pushed into the Balkans, with only Russia and France declaring containment wars on me, then getting their ass kicked and me not having enough jingoism to add war goals saving them from being annexed. I also own almost all of Africa save the northern coast and southern areas, and grabbed all of the Saudi area. I've built up their railroads to the maximum level but can't build factories for them, and they haven't had any rebels or anything. They just have 0 industry. Did spherering them screw up their economy so that they can never build a profitable factory?

2. How do I get Jingoism up or add wargoals? In my China game, I don't remember having any problems all adding wargoals. In my US and Germany game though, I can almost never add wargoals because Jingoism is too low. Except every once in a while, I have a war where I get to add a wargoal right at the start, then suddenly the game tells me I can't add any more wargoals until I have 6.998 or whatever jingoism, and I currently only have 5.xxx jingoism. I've taken every choice that added Jingoism, but it seems that from the start of the game, Jingoism has only been dropping :(.

1. I've read that spherering China tends to screw up your economy early game because their huge population and production from artisans will kill your factories. Does the reverse work though? I formed Greater Germany in 1860 and quickly because the number 1 power in the world by far, more than double GB's industry. I sphered Denmark around that time. It is now 1910 and Denmark literally has 0 factories. Meanwhile, I've annexed almost all of Italy, and pushed into the Balkans, with only Russia and France declaring containment wars on me, then getting their ass kicked and me not having enough jingoism to add war goals saving them from being annexed. I also own almost all of Africa save the northern coast and southern areas, and grabbed all of the Saudi area. I've built up their railroads to the maximum level but can't build factories for them, and they haven't had any rebels or anything. They just have 0 industry. Did spherering them screw up their economy so that they can never build a profitable factory?

2. How do I get Jingoism up or add wargoals? In my China game, I don't remember having any problems all adding wargoals. In my US and Germany game though, I can almost never add wargoals because Jingoism is too low. Except every once in a while, I have a war where I get to add a wargoal right at the start, then suddenly the game tells me I can't add any more wargoals until I have 6.998 or whatever jingoism, and I currently only have 5.xxx jingoism. I've taken every choice that added Jingoism, but it seems that from the start of the game, Jingoism has only been dropping :(.

Jingoism slowly increases when at war with low war exhaustion or having a high revanchism.

Besides the monetary costs, do you guys perceive any damage in negative Tarrifs? and do tarrifs apply to other countries in your sphere?

Thanks

If your factories import all their negatively tariffed timber, then laborers in your RGO-producing regions may lose income. There is a bonus from having your inputs in the same region as your factory, but I don't know if the game checks whether the raw materials are really coming from the region where the factory is located. There may be effects like this, I don't think there is a direct game rule kind of effect ("Laborers gain x militancy if your tariffs are below y level")

HOWEVER: I read somewhere that negative tariffs do not affect imports any differently than zero tariff, meaning that negative tariff is the exact same thing as zero tariff, except your money vanishes. I think I read this in a wiki entry and the info came from other players testing tariff effects.

Besides the monetary costs, do you guys perceive any damage in negative Tarrifs? and do tarrifs apply to other countries in your sphere?
A Great Power and all countries in its sphere count as a single domestic market, so tariffs do not apply to goods bought from your spherelings (or goods your spherelings buy from you).

Jingoism is needed to add wargoals? I had no idea, maybe I always had enough. Is this true for the vanilla game?

HOWEVER: I read somewhere that negative tariffs do not affect imports any differently than zero tariff, meaning that negative tariff is the exact same thing as zero tariff, except your money vanishes. I think I read this in a wiki entry and the info came from other players testing tariff effects.

That would be good to test because I lost a lot of money with negative tarrifs in my last game (I had so much reparations money that I didn't knew what to do with it).

Thanks

It can cause your capitalists to develop an inefficient economy that crashes as soon as you stop using negative tariffs.

Jingoism slowly increases when at war with low war exhaustion or having a high revanchism.
:( I see, I did notice it increased VERY slowly whenever I was at war. But outside of having high revanchism, is there any other way to increase it or not have to rely on it? Like if I was a dictatorship with a jingoism party in power? In my first war with Austria, I wanted to take all their spherelings for myself so that I could easily form Germany the next war after beating France, but jingoism increased so slowly that by the time I added Bavaria and Baden to my wargoals, I had knocked Austria out of Great Power status, so the only sphereling I got was Austria herself, with all my wargoals of taking from sphere of influence becoming Humiliate.

Do European countries get any immigration at all?

As France, I noticed a decision that increases immigration attraction by 1%, the Foreign Legion one.

So does that really do anything at all? Combined with more liberal social laws does it stack to at least prevent people immigrating to Americas?

Do European countries get any immigration at all?

As France, I noticed a decision that increases immigration attraction by 1%, the Foreign Legion one.

So does that really do anything at all? Combined with more liberal social laws does it stack to at least prevent people immigrating to Americas?
I think the bonus for the Americas and Oceania is too big for European countries to get any immigration. The immigrant attraction in European countries will then be more of a bonus to not losing as many immigrants to the Americas. Same goes for the political and social laws. I believe they CAN get immigration if the game has been too crazy.

Is there a way to release a satellite from its bondage (other than loosing a war with that cb)?

Edit: I wouldn't be averse to savegame edit either, if it isn't in-game.

Is there a way to release a satellite from its bondage (other than loosing a war with that cb)?

Edit: I wouldn't be averse to savegame edit either, if it isn't in-game.

Not that I'm aware of if you're running vanilla. Some mods have a release satellite decision though.

Edit: It can also happen through revolution.