• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
POP income is the money the POP makes from either working for the government, or from selling their stuff on the market. Yes, subsidizing a factory will allow them to still pay their workers even if they can't sell anything they make.

There's a floor on the price of goods, so your POPs should at least be able to make some money. You can't directly subsidize them, though you can always make factories that use the good in question.

Yes, taxation decreases income. If it didn't, then there would be no reason to have a slider as the only sensible option would be "as high as my ruling party allows".

Copy and paste what where?
The contents of SteamApps/common/Victoria2 to your Victoria 2 folder. Worked for FTM on SF a while ago, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work for AHD/HOD on VIC2. Steam might warn you, that the product you're about to buy is useless w/o buying the base game from them, but're still able to buy/download expansions only. Steam and non-Steam digital are generally fully compatible to each other for PDS games, some box versions (most notably: boxed HoI3 by Koch Media) might be different.

Playing as Austria for the first time is it in my best interest to try and keep Prussia from forming Germany? Should I also fight Italian nationalism? How come Russia won't ally with me? Despite the fact we
have 200 relations.

Playing as Austria for the first time is it in my best interest to try and keep Prussia from forming Germany? Should I also fight Italian nationalism? How come Russia won't ally with me? Despite the fact we
have 200 relations.

It depends on what you want to do with Austria. If you have no interest in Germany, just let it form and become their ally (which is fairly easy to do). They will help you against Italy and France.

Hey guys, I have created an event and I want to know if it is ok.

Code:
country_event = {
           trigger = { tag = AUS }
           fire_only_once = yes
           add_country_modifier = {
			name = multiethnic_austria
			duration = -1
		}
      any_pop = {
           limit = { has_pop_culture = serb
                     has_pop_culture = bosniak
                     has_pop_culture = czech
                     has_pop_culture = polish
                     has_pop_culture = ukrainian
                     has_pop_culture = ashkenazi
                     has_pop_culture = slovak
                     has_pop_culture = hungarian
                     has_pop_culture = romanian
                     has_pop_culture = slovene
                     has_pop_culture = croat
                     has_pop_culture = north_german
                     has_pop_culture = north_italian
                    } 
                 }                   
}

And the modifier.

Code:
multiethnic_austria = {
       assimilation_rate = -10
       icon = 19
}
Even if population doesn`t assimilate when they are on their own core inside Austria there is a vast amount of different population and they tend to move between provinces and that is when they get assimilated to south german.I`ve loaded a late game Danubian Federation to see how they were doing and I`ve seen that the south germans had a far larger of the population share then they had at the beginning of the game.

This is meant to stop assimilation even if pops aren`t on their own cores.Just so I don`t stop all assimilation I made a list of all pops that are to be targeted by this assimilation debuff.

The effects should be inside option = { } and all the cultures should be placed inside an OR = { }. And the you don't have any effects in the any_pop part. You just set the scope.

Just so I don`t stop all assimilation I made a list of all pops that are to be targeted by this assimilation debuff.
There ain't anything like pop specific assimilation. You can modify assimilation rates on a province-, state-, region- and country-specific base, but not on the affected pops culture. The only culture specific way to prevent assimilation is to add them into your accepted cultures list.

Also I noticed that sometimes my brigades disappear. I usually turn the military slider and the national stockpile when I am at peace to the minimum possible. Does units fade if they aren't getting enough supplies?

Are more expansions for Victoria II possible, or do we know for certain that Heart of Darkness is the last Paradox will make? After getting burned on EU3 (bought it when it came out, bought it again when the "Complete" edition came out, and then they decided to make one or two expansions after that... :p) I've been *very* reluctant to pick up Paradox games unless I know they're in their final form. Victoria was lovely though, right up there with EU2, hard to decide which I'd consider the best Paradox game ever. :D So the current sale is tempting.

What does war do to consumer goods consumption? There's a crisis war in Europe and my craftsmen are suffering big-time. I'm a GP but not in Europe. Well I'm also at war against an unciv but not mobilized, so I don't know why my craftsmen are suddenly getting only half their life needs with 100% employment.

Are more expansions for Victoria II possible, or do we know for certain that Heart of Darkness is the last Paradox will make? After getting burned on EU3 (bought it when it came out, bought it again when the "Complete" edition came out, and then they decided to make one or two expansions after that... :p) I've been *very* reluctant to pick up Paradox games unless I know they're in their final form. Victoria was lovely though, right up there with EU2, hard to decide which I'd consider the best Paradox game ever. :D So the current sale is tempting.

Too bad you missed the Bundlestars deal, it was like 5 dollars for the whole package. I'm pretty sure they said no more patches. I seriously doubt we'll see another expansion, more like a Vic3 with the new engine. Sometime in 2016 maybe.

Hey, I'm old time vet of Vicky and started playing Vicky II. Now I've chosen Belgium to get the differences between games nailed, but... 3 months in game I was ganked by Dutch and Prussians and promptly annexed. I could only do so much with my single stack, while Prussians and Dutch had multiple.
How to avoid it?
Brits landed, but had been beaten promptly too.

Hey, I'm old time vet of Vicky and started playing Vicky II. Now I've chosen Belgium to get the differences between games nailed, but... 3 months in game I was ganked by Dutch and Prussians and promptly annexed. I could only do so much with my single stack, while Prussians and Dutch had multiple.
How to avoid it?
If the Netherlands get an alliance with Prussia, you are more or less certain to get attacked. You could try to mobilise from the start. The AI is much less likely to attack someone who is mobilised. In AHD, Denmark would always be attacked by Prussia within a year, but if you mobilised, it was possible to not be attacked at all.

Also I noticed that sometimes my brigades disappear. I usually turn the military slider and the national stockpile when I am at peace to the minimum possible. Does units fade if they aren't getting enough supplies?

You turn down the MILITARY funding bar? The one that pays soldiers to exist? That's just a horrible, horrible idea. Stockpile, you can decrease -- that just limits your preparedness for war. Turning down military funding, however, means soldiers CEASE TO EXIST over time. No one works for free.

What does war do to consumer goods consumption? There's a crisis war in Europe and my craftsmen are suffering big-time. I'm a GP but not in Europe. Well I'm also at war against an unciv but not mobilized, so I don't know why my craftsmen are suddenly getting only half their life needs with 100% employment.

Maybe markets getting weird because of the other major war? I don't think consumer goods consumption goes up, but powers at war don't sell to each other. Also, I think blockades reduce production and occupation DEFINITELY does, so if most of your goods were coming from a now-occupied France, your people are going to hate life.

Too bad you missed the Bundlestars deal, it was like 5 dollars for the whole package. I'm pretty sure they said no more patches. I seriously doubt we'll see another expansion, more like a Vic3 with the new engine. Sometime in 2016 maybe.

Official life is over for Victoria 2. It's all on the community now.

How to avoid it?

If they ally and the Brits fail to come through for you, you're kind of shit out of luck. You can try to play strategically and there's a chance a smart and lucky Belgium can keep the Dutch out long enough for the Brits to do better. The Dutch on their own are definitely beatable. Another idea: make the Prussians like you. If they like you, when the Dutch attack, they may ignore their call -- after all, what good does that war really do them? If they do, you should win out as long as you are not unlucky.

Three months is simply poor luck to start, and the Brits failing to provide adequate help is also pretty poor luck.

Got a bunch of questions regarding the American Civil War:

1. Any rough guy on how to get it fired really fast? I want to play the CSA.
2. Which decisions should I take/not take? There seem to be quite a few consciousness-reducing ones...
3. Any way of changing the Golden-Circle, Copperhead etc events to be region wide? Cant stand the spam. (Via modding obviously)

Oh and even though this isnt the modding forum, does anyone know how I can stop the craftsmen POPs from merging into one? It's annoying having a Texan Craftsmen Group somewhere in California.

Maybe markets getting weird because of the other major war? I don't think consumer goods consumption goes up, but powers at war don't sell to each other. Also, I think blockades reduce production and occupation DEFINITELY does, so if most of your goods were coming from a now-occupied France, your people are going to hate life.

I'm playing Java and the coffee situation is killing me. Since around the start of the war, all my coffee farmers have been out of work. Those RGOs are ghost towns and thousands are leaving for the USA. What little demand there is is covered by Brazil, which is in the UK sphere. The factories have been hit badly too because of reduced demand and falling prices. That war really did a number on the world economy, Russia going into debt and disbanding brigades, Austria without any army, countries going bankrupt left and right. And when it ended, they found new reasons to fight on.

Another question, if a factory is closed, does it lose all its expansions?

Got a bunch of questions regarding the American Civil War:

1. Any rough guy on how to get it fired really fast? I want to play the CSA.
2. Which decisions should I take/not take? There seem to be quite a few consciousness-reducing ones...
3. Any way of changing the Golden-Circle, Copperhead etc events to be region wide? Cant stand the spam. (Via modding obviously)

Oh and even though this isnt the modding forum, does anyone know how I can stop the craftsmen POPs from merging into one? It's annoying having a Texan Craftsmen Group somewhere in California.

1. Main factor is time, but you can increase chance when two mains events fire faster:
a) John Brown's Raid - upper house must have at least 10% liberal, and one state without slavery must have average consciousness greater than 6.
So when you conquer, or colonize west North America choose "slavery allowed" to increase CON of yankee people.
trigger = {
tag = USA
slavery = yes_slavery
NOT = {
has_country_flag = john_browns_raid
has_global_flag = american_civil_war_has_happened
}
any_state = {
is_slave = no
average_consciousness = 6
}
upper_house = {
ideology = liberal
value = 0.1
}
}
b) Dred Scott v. Sandford - upper house must have at least 10% liberal, and one state with slavery must have average consciousness greater than 5.
trigger = {
tag = USA
slavery = yes_slavery
NOT = {
has_country_flag = dred_scott_decision
has_global_flag = american_civil_war_has_happened
}
any_state = {
is_slave = yes
average_consciousness = 5
}
upper_house = {
ideology = liberal
value = 0.1
}
}

So the best way is to have infamy near 25, and luck with MTTH rolls.
2. You need high CON , so most decisions are bad in this case.
3. Modding is a option. You can disable/delete this event at all, or change MTTH to greater or change province to state modifier.
add_province_modifier = {
name = copperhead_democrats
duration = 365
}

to:
state_scope = {
any_owned = {
add_province_modifier = {
name = copperhead_democrats
duration = 365
}
}

P.S. You can also open console and fire "event 16000", if you think this will help you.

Last edited: