• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What if I copy-paste that into China's history file, and put 'democracy' in place of 'hms_government' as well as the flag field? Will it fix the democratic flag?
No, that would not work. Just copy-paste it into China's history file unmodified.

So I'm currently playing a game as Two Sicilies -> Italy and I've just formed the Italian Kingdom with the Redshirts event in 1866, but one Italian state chose not to join up: Sardinia-Peidmont! They're in France's sphere, and allied to France, so I'm not sure what approach to take. If I take them from France's sphere will they join Italy, or do I have to actually conquer S-P now?

So I'm currently playing a game as Two Sicilies -> Italy and I've just formed the Italian Kingdom with the Redshirts event in 1866, but one Italian state chose not to join up: Sardinia-Peidmont! They're in France's sphere, and allied to France, so I'm not sure what approach to take. If I take them from France's sphere will they join Italy, or do I have to actually conquer S-P now?

If you sphere them, I'm pretty sure they would eventually join you.

If you want to take the military route, then make sure you ally with Germany. It may be tougher with both France and S-P though, never actually tried it myself although have fought France as Italy.

If you sphere them, I'm pretty sure they would eventually join you.

If you want to take the military route, then make sure you ally with Germany. It may be tougher with both France and S-P though, never actually tried it myself although have fought France as Italy.

After Prussia formed the NGF they got spanked in a few wars, and France is actually blobbing into Germany proper atm. France spanked the UK too, and are #1 in Score (granted its still early). I may be able to get them out of France's sphere, though, so its good to know they can still join that way.

After Prussia formed the NGF they got spanked in a few wars, and France is actually blobbing into Germany proper atm. France spanked the UK too, and are #1 in Score (granted its still early)...

That's unfortunate, means they are probably unbeatable now. You may then have to give them Savoy if you do get S-P into your nation as France will come knocking for that region.

I always join Prussia/Germany to beat up France when that happens but that won't work if there is no common enemy against France, I certainly think it will be tough to beat France on your own as Italy, although it may just be doable if you dig in to the three Savoy provinces and Turin.

That's unfortunate, means they are probably unbeatable now. You may then have to give them Savoy if you do get S-P into your nation as France will come knocking for that region.

I always join Prussia/Germany to beat up France when that happens but that won't work if there is no common enemy against France, I certainly think it will be tough to beat France on your own as Italy, although it may just be doable if you dig in to the three Savoy provinces and Turin.

Well I've got colonies all over Africa that mostly border French colonies, namely Tunisia, parts of Algeria, Sinai (close to building the canal!) and southern Madagascar... so a war with France is something I really don't want. But this is V2, so there are options! I might try and time it so that I steal them from their sphere right before they get involved in a war with somebody (a Great War with Germany and the UK on one side and Russia/France on the other seems likely), and see how that goes.

So I managed to get S-P out of France's Sphere and into mine, but they're not joining my glorious Italy! Is there a wierd circumstance that needs to be fulfilled further?
How long have you waited? jrgen indicated it was a random occurrence that they would eventually request to join, but that means you could feasibly wait years if you're unlucky.

How long is the "passed reforms" modifier on radicality supposed to last? Ten years? More? This is with NNM, but I'm pretty sure NNM doesn't modify that particular modifier.

Any particular reason "nobody" wants to ally with Japan? I mean, aside from those that hate me. Seems a bit weird for countries to refuse when they like me, don't have any other allies and no CB on me ...

Mh, lately, but I've been weirdly unallied since the start of the game. Never was a problem for example with Brazil. Maybe there's some kind of neighbor-modifier or something ... oh well. I'll check again once the infamy is down, although it's not much in any case.

For Japan, great power allies aren't particularly helpful for you anyway. You can defeat the entire world with your navy, since the AI doesn't use theirs very well. As for local allies, it's probably because they're uncivilized and you're civilized; you can see their logic for accepting/rejecting your proposal, at least in HoD. Sphering them will make them more likely to ally with you, though.

As for the best ship to use in a mod, you should probably ask in that mod's forum, not here.

As for local allies, it's probably because they're uncivilized and you're civilized; you can see their logic for accepting/rejecting your proposal, at least in HoD.
Ah, yes, that helps a lot. Thanks. It's indeed mostly either that they're uncivilized, or already allied with great powers, or the rest too far away (combined with other factors of course).

Oh well. Didn't expect much use of allies, but thought it might not be stupid to have some distract part of whomever I'd fight, keeping them away from their colonies or whatever ;)

Well, pretty much everything. To be specific, you'll want a lot of liquor factories and enough glass to feed them all; you won't want very much in the way of lumber mills at all, as they produce a lot of lumber. You can make a bit of fabric (you might not have the resources to make this though) and regular clothes, and probably more furniture.

Make sure you're producing enough cement and machine parts though. When you start out you won't need many machine parts plants, but as you go on an upgrade program you'll need to keep making more just for maintenance needs.

Now, military goods are tricky. Artillery is dependent on exactly how much artillery you use, but if you're artillery-heavy you'll need a lot of artillery (and explosives) to meet demand when you're at 100% military funding. You'll also need a lot of ammunition and canned goods factories, but very few small arms factories.