• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

QuestGAV

First Lieutenant
71 Badges
Aug 22, 2002
no.thanks.com
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
Hey guys, I'm playing a rather interesting Bavaria game and was looking for some advice. I had intended to mostly sit tight and try to survive in between Austria/France/Prussia (now NGF) and become a tech/industrial powerhouse but circumstances just created an opportunity for me. I've annexed Baden and am fighting Austra & NGF for sphere control of Wurtemberg. I am allied with Wurtemberg.

I got an acquire state CB for Switzerland who was allied to France and Sardinia Piedmont. France was fighting a war in Russia so I took a chance that they'd decline to fight me. They accepted the Swiss call... I had about 20 brigades and Wurtemberg had 8 while Switz/S-P had about the same combined while France had ~80. France WP'd out with Russia while I took out the Swiss & S-P armies. Here's where I got lucky: France's armies trickled back from Russia slowly enough for me to isolate and kill them. They never got below 50 brigades but I think most were in Africa and they never brought any over until the end of the war. In short, I won and was able to take E Switzerland, Alsace-Lorraine, and Franche Comte for 10 infamy and minimal losses.

So now I'm in position to attack NGF (we each have ~25 brigades) with Wurtemberg at my side for Prussian Wurtemberg. After that, would I be able to form SGF or do I have to assert hegemony over Austria for that? And then do I have to wait another 5 years (probably trying to hold off France from taking back F-C and A-L in the meantime) to assert hegemony over NGF again to form Germany? I'm pretty sure a straight up war with France would be disastrous so I am going to really need to form SGF within 5 years.

Anyway, just thought I'd share an interesting turn of events and get opinions on where to go from here.

Thanks!

You only need Bavaria, Baden, Wurtemburg, and Prussia's Hohenzollern territory to form the SGF, not Austria. Then, with A-L, you have to knock the NGF from great power status and sphere them to create Germany, not an easy task.

If you're a great power, you should be able to form the SGF as soon as you get Prussian Wurtemburg and sphere Wurtemburg.

I would try to get a coastline, but given where you are, that's pretty difficult. You would have to fight the NGF, Austria or France and get at least 2 regions from them in order to get a coastline. Once you do that, see if there's an unciv that you can take over.

Last edited:
If you're fine with a little glitch in the game, you can assert hegemony over either one of them, and the game will sphere the other GP for one day. When you enact the decision you don't get them annexed, but you have the cultural union tag (I may be wrong about the annexation). Then all you have to do is restore order on NGF or Sphere it (its easier to restore order). And voila, you're Germany!

Thanks Marcus, that's important to know. That's more or less what I was planning on Hashoosh, I've done it before as Prussia/NGF but not as Bavaria. Was hoping I could do it the same way. I'm still toying with the idea of sitting pretty and seeing if I can maintain my position or even take one state each from NGF and Austria and seeing if I can hold on with 3 pissed superpowers with CBs on my border. A Paradoxian version of tower defense...

I've got bad news for you. If the NGF has formed you have already lost. They are simply too powerful. At least that was the case in my Bavaria game. You might get luckier if you already have beaten France.

You could also beat down on Austria, take Bohemia and Moravia for the coal and iron (but it will lower your literacy).

Your best chances to create Germany with Bavaria is by Pan-German nationalists. Of course, you should not allow the NGF to be created. There is practically no chance for these rebells, and you can't gain terrotory by including other German minors in your sphere.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of beating down NGF, they're really not a huge obstacle once you've got SGF formed, especially with 20 years of Bavarian research rate to get your army tech in order before formation.

i managed to form germany without even attacking france which seems odd. im pretty sure one of the decisions says that certain french provinces need to be taken in order to form germany.

is this WAD?

Was it by Pan-German rebells? In this case you only need to be a German GP which accepts the crown from the gutter. It's even possible that this Germany only owns a rather small part, while for example Prussia still exists.

You don't need Alasce-Lorraine if enough time has passed for the dominant culture in the area to become something other than German (so if enough French people move in you no longer need that territory). Which, isn't always a bad thing.. Without A-L being part of Germany (NGF/SGF/etc) then France doesn't have an excuse to poke you every 5 years without taking an infamy hit.

Was it by Pan-German rebells? In this case you only need to be a German GP which accepts the crown from the gutter. It's even possible that this Germany only owns a rather small part, while for example Prussia still exists.

no it just happened. i had a lot of SG minors in my sphere so i guess thats what triggered it.

have to say im really enjoyin vicky. didnt play it much since release but have been playin a lot of the last couple of weeeks.

austria has crumbed and became commy which allowed me to sphere them so just waiting now for the annexation event. im up to 1895 now, just started ww1 by DOW'ing prussia whos allied to france + russia. im allied to uk and a few other euro countries but hopefully i can pull through. its fascinating just watching the world chaneg and empires rising and falling.

really pleased to hear about the expansion, im sure most of the features of vicky will be expanded upon and a few more added.:)

ps,

the games hardly unplayable as certain threads seem to suggest.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i think its definitely possible to ngf down enough to form germany. in one war i managed to knock them down to 8 just taking two states. i just waited for ngf to get in a fight with france, then pounced.

I'm working my way through a Bavarian game and have managed to form the SGF. I was fortunate in that I kept out of trouble until the 1880s when, even more luckily, I obtained a CB on the NGF and had just been allied with the United Kingdom, where I first obtained Sigmaringen from them. Then France sided with me, and just before I lost Great Power status, I waged another war to assert hegemony. However the NGF recovered too quickly, until Russia sided with me, so another war was unleashed to rip Baden from their SoI. As a result I formed the SGF by about 1885.

I was extremely lucky in that I had CB's come up on a regular basis, and a string of great powers ally me. Now with the might of the SGF I'm preparing to go to war to form Germany, except I'm concerned that the NGF is allied with Russia, and has largely restored its military power. I'm still the more powerful nation, but Russia balances the equation out at the moment.

I've got bad news for you. If the NGF has formed you have already lost. They are simply too powerful. At least that was the case in my Bavaria game. You might get luckier if you already have beaten France.

You could also beat down on Austria, take Bohemia and Moravia for the coal and iron (but it will lower your literacy).

I disagree. If you can beat NGF down and force them to release Prussia and Hannover, the three resulting nations might be weak enough to not be GPs at all, especially since all of the NGF's Prestige will remain with NGF but most of the Ind and Mil will go to Prussia.

I've gone to war with the NGF, with the duel aims of humiliating them and cutting them down to size. Problem is the war is taking much longer than I intended, as they ended up being only marginally weaker than me when I attacked. Thankfully they got caught up in a war with the Netherlands at the same time, meaning I eventually gained the upper hand. During my following wars I'll seek to either take territory from the NGF, or make them release states. Given it's 1917 though I'm running short of time though.