• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 2: First Strike

For decades, the strength of the former Ming Dynasty had steadily declined through internal strife, such as with the secession of Taiping, and foreign conquest, with the loss of the Imperial Capital in Beijing. After arguing with his Ministers of War, Zheng Bei finally made the decision to attack.

v213v.png

On May 12, the armies were ordered to cross the border into Ming territory, in a pre-emptive strike on the conscripted peasant forces of the Ming stationed in Shoaxing. The goal of this war would be the liberation of the region of Hangzhou and the vital port of Shanghai. It was soon discovered, however, that the allies of the Ming, Dai Nam, had decided to accept the call of aid from the Ming, even with no direct route to any of our territories.

As our armies crossed the border, it was clear that their were no acting Generals that would be capable of leading such a force, so Bei himself traveled to the front to give orders to the troops as they engaged the Ming forces at Shoaxing.

v215.png

The battled ended in a decisive victory for our forces, with only 6,000 of our troops being injured or wounded compared to 21,000 of the Ming's forces recieving the same. The victory sent a shock wave through the Ming High Command, showing that their sheer numbers would not be capable to defeat the better trained and equiped Tungning soldiers.

As the regular army was busy laying siege to the local fortress in Shoaxing, the reserves of our Kingdom were called up to adress an invasion of our territory in the province of Taizhou. As they marched to combat the invasion, a new General climbed through the ranks of the reserves to lead them into combat. Though not a very capable commander, Hou Zexu clearly had enough skill to lead the reserves to combat against the poorly led Ming invasion force with a loss of only 900 dead or wounded for our armies against the loss of 4000 for the Ming. This would be the last time the Ming would attempt an invasion of any Tungning territory.

v216.png

On another note, the mettle of our ruling monarch, King Zheng Bei, was proven to be quite shaken with the report of colonial disturbance in our North Philipino Colonies. In the past month, 3 colonial officials had been killed in the largest anti-tungning activity the region had seen in years. This is undoubtably a direct consequence of of the use of Philipino soldiers in our war against the Ming. Instead of acting with a clear calm head, Bei quickly ordered the remaining colonial officials to do what ever it takes to prevent an open rebellion, something that will incite even more anger against Tungning rule.

v217.png

In August, the reserve armies were ordered to advance into the Ming province of Jinhua in order to relieve some of the stress now bearing on the professional armies after their successful occupation of Soaxing and bring the front away from the Tungning border. An engagement was quickly encountered with a local Ming garrison, but like the invasion force before them, they quickly lost after losing 4,000 wounded or dead men compared to the 200 Tungning casualties. The people back home began to think this would be a roll over victory for our Kingdom.

v218u.png

This illusion would be crushed, however, by news of a Dia Nam invasion of the province of Weigan in the Northern Philipines. The reserves stationed in our Capital of Tainan were quickly disbatched by our transport ships to repel the invasion, while an all out assault was launched against the Ming on our front in retaliation for their planning of this invasion by the Dai Nam.

v219.png

v220.png

The assualt on the Ming forces was a success, but not as crushing a victory as had been previously expected. We had lost 5,000 while the Ming lost 7,000, effectivly eliminating any superiority the soldiers of the Tungning army had felt against those of the Ming. It was soon discovered that this advance did more to hurt us than help us as soon the Ming army was crossing back into the province of Jinhua, recently occupied by the reserve armies. A strategic withdrawl was ordered amongst the forces sieging Hangzhou back into Jinhua in order to combat the advancing Ming.

v221.png

v222.png

The withdrawing forces would see a crushing victory upon re-entering Jinhua in late December, with only 1,000 cassualties on our side but as many as 17,000 cassualties on the Ming. This would be, however, the last time the Tungning armies would see such a victory, or be on the offensive, for the remainder of the Winter and Spring campaignes. The remainder would see only more deaths for both sides as well as a loss of gains for us.

v223.png

This victory would lead to the discovery of a very capable commander for the armies, with the name of Qin Nai-siong. Qin seemed to be an extremely well rounded commander, performing excellently while both attacking and defending, while also being a genious when it came to organizing the army and thus increasing the experience it gained.

v224.png

Late December also saw the reserve armies from Tainam begin to march north in our colonies to finally combat the Dai Nam forces sieging the local garrison in Weigan. Finally on January 1, 1837, the Parliament, first instituted by the son of Zheng Chenggong, was rearranged with the Liberals losing 17% of their initial seats to the Conservatives, with a gain of 10.1%, and Reactionaries, with a gain of 6.9%.

v225.png

v226.png

Chapter 3: End In Sight?

The voters faith in the Conservatives would, however, be put to the test when news reached Zheng Bei of Dai Nam landings on the coast of Tainan. The Fleet of the Phoenix Emporer was ordered to move from its positions blockading the Ming coast back to Taiwan to prevent any more Dai Nam forces from landing.

v227.png

Qin Nai-Siong quickly followed suit with a reinforcement of Soaxing, destroying the Ming force attempting to restore Ming order to the province. News was also heard of an invasion of Ming by both the Shun and Daxi, this well deffinately help us as the Ming are forced to divert troops to this new front.

v228.png

There soon came even more joyous news, the Dai Nam invasion force in the colonies had been defeated, with over 2,000 killed and the rest imprisoned.

v230.png

This was quickly followed by another defensive action on the mainland, this time in the province of Jinhua, where only 2,000 of our men were killed, compared to 15,500 Ming deaths.

v231.png

These victories would be followed by numerous defeats, these being caused by the simple weariness of the troops, now being asked to do too much. Qin would learn the hard way to not push his men so hard under these current conditions. The only success for the remainder of the Winter Offensive being the successful defense of the capital in Tainan.

v232.png

v233.png

v234.png

There came news from outside of China however. We received word that Grand Colombia's Congress of Andagoya had ended, but we as of yet do not know what the outcome is, except that a new nation has been founded in Amerique. The new nation is called Quito, and they have integrated their former slaves into their society, making them a truely civilized nation. Bei will hold off on making a state visit to this new nation until the war is over however.

v235.png

We suffer another defeat in Qin's attempt to defend the gains we had made the previous year, but even with these many defeats, we soon learn that we have risen to the status of Great Power, now above the ranking of the crumbling Ottoman Empire, though we are surprised to learn that we have a higher ranking military than many of our European Great Power counterparts.

v236.png

v237.png

Qin eventually calls a halt to the mobile defense and orders our armies to cross back into our original controlled lands, in an attempt to gather supplies, reinforcements, and allow the troops to rest and recuperate. The Ming waste no time in an attempt to reoccupy their lost provinces.

v238.png

In the summer, Qin launches a new offensive into the Ming lands, upon reports of Taiping troops crossing their border with Ming in a war of their own with this decaying beast. Qin quickly sets upon taking as much land as he can before the Taiping show up, even with the news of defeats, as well as victories along side the Taiping, and a naval victory where our only 2 frigates were able to decimate the majority of the Ming Armada.

v239.png

v240.png

v241.png

v242.png

The offensive continues on through the fall and into winter until it is time for a new election for the upper house. This time, it seems as if no significant change has occured within the minds of the voters, primarily through the timely defense of the capital by the local reserves and the following medal seremony.

v243.png

Last edited:
Good offensive full of action. With Ming backstabbed by Daxi, there is no hope for them.
The American Chinese colony is Qingqiu, not Quito. Quito is equal of Peru. But how it came independent, that is strange.
The event Fall of Daxi was a bug (I had a wrong capital set in it). It should fire whenever someone annexes some of the Chinese nations.

Good offensive full of action. With Ming backstabbed by Daxi, there is no hope for them.
The American Chinese colony is Qingqiu, not Quito. Quito is equal of Peru. But how it came independent, that is strange.
The event Fall of Daxi was a bug (I had a wrong capital set in it). It should fire whenever someone annexes some of the Chinese nations.

I thought it was strange when it said that Daxi was no more, so I just sort of made up my own thing to compensate for it.
And I took a look, and Quito is one of the successor states of Grand Colombia, when I thought it was an Asianic Nation, it came to be after the ending of the Congress of Andagoya, so I shall change that info in chapter 2 now :D

You took a real beating there, hopefully you will prevail in the end and no neighbour will challenge you before you have regained your strenght.;)

Chapter 4: Victory and Death

The year of 1838 would see to the end of this long and bloody war, but through a continuation of high losses for both sides.

The year would start off with the continuation of a general siege across the Ming land, but would also see to some of the first victories seen by our armies for quite some time.

v244.png

v245.png

It would seem that these victories would be a general sight along all of the Ming fronts as it became known that the Daxi had declared peace with the Ming, the region of Hanyang being returned to them in order for such peace. This will other hurt the Ming war effort, or free up troops to push us out.

v246.png

Hurting them seems to be a more likely answer, for our reserve troops defeated two Ming armies advancing from the Daxi border and captured most of their troops after brief engagements. This will, however, encourage our troops and civilians to hold on a little longer for a successful outcome to the war, seeing that the Ming government is on the verge of collapse.

v247.png

v248.png

Aside from the high cost in blood for this war, it seemed that everywhere else we were thriving. Our tea harvests saw another boon, enough so that the government allowed the farmers to keep much of the surplus, in hopes of converting more people to switch from farmers to artisans or anyone else they may wish to be. Either way, the people seem very happy with this event.

v249.png

These great victories and events would be followed by an event that would shake the military to its core and bring doubt to the people and their King.

This is the death of our great general Qin Nai-Siong by the hands of Ming assasins. General Qin had been busy through the past months with the success the invasion was finally seeing, and after several days without sleep, had been forced by his adjutants into taking a much deserved rest. Unknown to them, however, was the fact that many spies had infiltrated the advancing headquarters of the Modern Army, disquised as local farmers selling their wares.

At that night, during shift change, the assasins struck. Armed with poisoned tipped knives, they snuck into Qins tent, after quietly killing the guards outside. To their eyes, Qin was in a deap sleep, and so got careless. This carelessness saw to a rustling of papers under their feet, just loud enough to wake Qin. With quick speed, Qin pulled out his pistol, a Pistolet modèle An XIII, and shot dead one of the assasins, the remaining two lunged for him with their knives. Qin parried one knife with his pistol, but received a cut from the other. Even with the cut and now poison running through his system, Qin quickly pulled a dagger out of its sheeth from his bed stand and, parrying with the assasins, was able to kill one while wounding the other. This two to one duel lasted several minutes until, after hearing the ruckus, several guards saw the dead guards outside Qin's tent and rushed in. They quickly overpowered the last assasin, just as Qin slumped to the floor, blood bubbling from his mouth. He was dead in under two minutes after the arrival of the guards.

Such was the magnitude of his death, that soon a severe loss was seen at the hands of the Ming, and many people in the home states along the coast began to wonder if the war was really worth the continued death of the nation's men. Zheng Bei was quick to make a speach, reaserting that the was would be fought and won and not allow Qin's death to be in vain.

v250.png

v251.png

beiyang_army__a_powerful_westernstyle_chinese_military_force7bd8de93d6b90ed5bdf2.jpg

General Qin Nai-Siong, third from the left, stands for a photo showing off the new uniform of the Tungning military hierarchy. He will be missed but also remembered for his strong modernization programs.

The Tungning military would quickly take avenge for this assasination by a string of victories, ultimately leading to the ending of the war. Though the Ming wars with the Shun and Taiping would end before ours could.

v253.png

v254.png

The terms of the peace between the Ming and us, would be signed just outside the suburbs of Nanjing, the Army of the Phoenix Emperor falling just short of capturing the Ming capital. The details of the surrender of the Ming would be the same as when the war began, except for one new addition. Where before King Bei had demanded the liberation of the regions of Hangzhou and Shanghai, this time he demanded the liberation to include the of the Suzhou region, as reparation for the appaling loss of life as well as the death of General Qin. The treaty was signed by the Ming ruler and peace was finally declared.

v258.png

This great victory for the Kingdom would see to more tea fields and farms being brought under our flag, as well as the strategic harbor of Shanghai and the inclusion of a larger populace accepted in our Kingdom. This victory also saw to a partition of sorts of much of the Ming lands to the separate Chinese nations. We may yet see the total fall of the Ming usurpers in Zheng Bei's reign.

v259.png

Last edited:
I remember playing Tungning once. At first they were absurdly hard since I had to strike before the other Chinese nations or Japan decided to eat me but early enough so as to steal some land while another enemy took land. I managed to gain some momentum by hitchhiking on a Taiping attack on the Ming, gained some easy land/prestige, and never looked back. From that point on my research advantage let me roll over most of China, get most of SE Asia and Manchu into my SOI, form China, and then proceed to easily claim first place as I rolled over the pitiful nations of India.

After you build the rest of your brigades, which you have a lot to build, you should maybe attack the Taiping.

I remember playing Tungning once. At first they were absurdly hard since I had to strike before the other Chinese nations or Japan decided to eat me but early enough so as to steal some land while another enemy took land. I managed to gain some momentum by hitchhiking on a Taiping attack on the Ming, gained some easy land/prestige, and never looked back. From that point on my research advantage let me roll over most of China, get most of SE Asia and Manchu into my SOI, form China, and then proceed to easily claim first place as I rolled over the pitiful nations of India.

In a few test games, I've found that too. If I wait too long to strike, the numerical strength of all the other nations just keep me from doing anything but survive, which is why I had to strike first as soon as possible, the addition of everyone else attacking Ming too was just a little bonus that helped my actually win the war.

After you build the rest of your brigades, which you have a lot to build, you should maybe attack the Taiping.

All this, and more, will be unveiled in the next update, which MIGHT be uploaded tonight, but most likely tomarrow at some point. Either way, things may prove to be interesting.

I agree! The flag looks pretty cool as well. Hopefully the peaceful time will allow you to regain your strength and strike again. This time with better army tech and upgraded forces.

I don't know how German unification works in Divergences but it looks pretty interesting so far :)

It does, I just hope they survive long enough to completely unify. All the other games Ive played have had any sort of German Nation get wiped out by the Bohemians, hopefully this truce will help the Danubians raise a large enough army to prevent that.

I agree! The flag looks pretty cool as well. Hopefully the peaceful time will allow you to regain your strength and strike again. This time with better army tech and upgraded forces.

It does. That is what I am hoping for as well, and trying to achieve.

This is not really a complain but...your images are WAAY too large (IIRC about 2.5 MB per pic). Could you please turn them to JPEGs? Yes, they are blurry but with 3 chapters per page, it really kills my browser. Because of that I still have not a had a chance to read Ch. 5.

Get a state capitalist party into power, spam factoires wherever you can, watch yourself get catapulted to great power level after wiping Ming fro the Earth, satellite everyone who is left (can also be done via wars, and you can wipe the floor with all chinese factions, since you have regulars, and they at best have cav), from China, get bored, quit:)

This is not really a complain but...your images are WAAY too large (IIRC about 2.5 MB per pic). Could you please turn them to JPEGs? Yes, they are blurry but with 3 chapters per page, it really kills my browser. Because of that I still have not a had a chance to read Ch. 5.

I will see what I can do, though I will only be able to fix the pics for Chapter 5 Unless you would want me to copy Chapter 5, and move it onto page 3 when it finally pops up?