Who will fix the issue of ATI Graphic cards?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feb 12, 2011
Hi all.
I think that all guys who have ATI graphic cards have the problem with graphic power in the CiM. It is annoying to have FPS between 15 - 25 (with HRL lightning swiched off of course). The game really doesn't go fluently!
Who should fix this issue? Should it be fixed by guys from Colossal Order or by guys from ATI (AMD). Or does Paradox Int. have a deal with NVidia about not supporting ATI cards? :)
I have still not decided about buying this game because I don't want to play game with avg 20FPS. So I don't know whether it has been fixed in the full release or not. I know that the issue was in beta and is still in demo version. Are you plannig to release updated demo version with all patches or with the fixed issue with ATI cards? :)

Thanks for you answer.

PC: Win7 64, 4core Athlon, ATI 4850 HD (1GB), 4GB RAM, ...

Hate to say it boyo, but the game runs just fine on my ATI 5770 - My previous card was a 4850, and it really isn't suited for modern day games.

I wouldn't say that my graphic is so weak as you write. I could play almost all other today games on full details and the games are more exacting than CiM! I downloaded a system monitor for ATI cards and saw that CiM doesn't fully use its GPU. It takes almost nothing from its power. So I think CiM has bad usage of ATI cards power or driver for ATI cards are bad (I have installed the latest drivers 11.2).

If my graphic is weak, why can I play the game more fluently with NVidia 5-year-old graphic? I also tested it on another PC. So where is the problem? :(

Hmm.. Does any other games show any "unusual" graphics performance? Could be a bad driver issue.

You mention an nVidia card - you haven't by any chance had both installed in the same PC? Drivers from the different companies are known to cause eachother problems. If so, consider wiping your drivers with Driver Sweeper, and reinstall the latest ATI driver.

Cities in Motion use DX10/11 as far as I can tell, which uses more resources than DX9 - Prettier, but heavier shaders.

(I'll boot up CiM when I get home and do some tests with the graphics options, one of them may be enough to turn off by itself)

Hate to say it boyo, but the game runs just fine on my ATI 5770 - My previous card was a 4850, and it really isn't suited for modern day games.

I have a HD4870 and can run the new crysis 2 demo on decent graphics no problem, yet end up with 5 - 10 FPS with a few lines and traffic in game.

You mention an nVidia card- you haven't by any chance had both installed in the same pc?
No, I haven't chance to change graphic cards and to plug the NVidia card to my pc.

if so, consider wiping your drivers with driver sweeper, and reinstall the latest ati driver.
I have reinstalled Windows in recent time (last week) and also installed the latest ATI graphic card drivers (11.2).

(i'll boot up cim when i get home and do some tests with the graphics options, one of them may be enough to turn off by itself)
I have been testing almost all possible graphic options in CiM and nothing significantly helped to change the problem, except the HRL lightning. The HRL lightning totaly kills FPS! If it is switch on and I open the bottom left window in cam mode, FPS rapidelly drop down! :(

Well my comment was based on performance in games such as MW2, Civ V, BC:2 and such titles - I never claimed to try CiM with a 4850 - I replaced it half a year ago. ;)

But baseline, all games are different. Some are heavy on the shaders, others use masses of textures - CiM may be poorly optimized, but I haven't had any issues with the game so far with my 5770.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you if you payed out alot for your HD5770, but the 5770 is only ~10% faster than the 4850 and they both should offer similar performance in games.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you if you payed out alot for your HD5770, but the 5770 is only ~10% faster than the 4850 and they both should offer similar performance in games.

Yeah I know - the 58 series is a bigger step up. I upgraded primarily due to a bigger monitor. The 5770 I have currently overclocks better than the 4850 though, so that helps performance wise.

@Pizmon: I'm out of ideas then. It could be a fragmented harddrive - the game uses a lot of textures. You could try and see if it helps alittle, maybe get a few FPS out of it.

I'm running an ATI 5870.
Game runs great. The mouse gets a little chunky when I'm playing at max time acceleration, but its not really a bother.

Here are my driver details:
Driver Packaging Version 8.801-101125a-109686E
Catalyst Version 10.12
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1105
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0798
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10362
Catalyst Control Center Version 2010.1125.2148.39102

In game I have:
Vertical Syncronization: checked
HDR Lighting: Checked
Saturation: 100%
Shadows: High
Antialiasing: 4X
Anisotropic filtering: 8X
Resolution: 1920 X 1200 32-bit

I really don't know if the game is so excating or there is a problem with drivers or with the game :(. I wouldn't say that graphic series 4850(70) are so much weak than 5850(70).
Does anybody else have the issue as me and speedking34?
What would devs recommend me?

My driver details are:
Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.2
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524
Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0126.1749.31909

In game I have:
Vertical Syncronization: checked
HDR Lighting: unchecked
Saturation: -
Shadows: High
Antialiasing: 4X
Anisotropic filtering: 8X
Resolution: 1920 X 1080 32-bit

4850HD
4GB-RAM

Never had a single issue playing any of these games on full graphical performance.

Welcome to the CiM Forums. That being said, you can't expect to contribute much, if any with that little information.

I got ati 6850 and the demo and beta didn't work at all. The maps didn't load at all so I skipped the game. I had new drivers on a new install of windows but it was no use.

Got an HD4980 1GB, also having really poor FPS, even after deactivating the fancy graphics features. And I wouldn't call my card weak either, and reading the minimum requirements for the game, I would say I certainly passed those and shouldn't have any issues at all.

(rest of the configuration: Win7 x64, MSI-790GX-G65, AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, 8GB OCZ memory)

ATI's OpenGL support seems to be quite poor on hd 4xxx cards especially when shaders are massively used. I don't know if there is anything we can do about it as 5-series works fine.

Well Im using a HD 6950 so what about these new ones? This card is absolutely amazing in other games.
Would be nice to know if I am purely CPU limited or not with a C2D E8500 @ 3.8GHz.

Not sure if I have mentioned this before but I am running Win XP.