• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
JAP player here.

The Japanese attack was actually a three-pronged attack. Simultaneous invasions of Hong Kong and Kutching (I was eager to take the Kutching airfields early, to avoid the logistical nightmares and six month campaign Maxyboy had to suffer at CptEasys hand during our last game). Two carrier battle groups also launched port strikes against Hong Kong and Singapore, severly damaging an SS in HK and putting a whole fleet in Singapore out of combat. I don´t belive any ships were actually sunk during this time.

Daphne, how did the allies discuss the entry of the USSR? As Axis, we were quite sure the DoW would come at the same time GE DoW the Netherlands. As it turned out, I belive that you probably got good results anyway. But if the DoW had come during the attack on Belgium or the Netherlands, even more GE troops would have been locked up at the west front.

Daphne, how did the allies discuss the entry of the USSR? As Axis, we were quite sure the DoW would come at the same time GE DoW the Netherlands. As it turned out, I belive that you probably got good results anyway. But if the DoW had come during the attack on Belgium or the Netherlands, even more GE troops would have been locked up at the west front.

Well, we didn't know there would be an attack on the Netherlands, did we? :)

Yes, waiting would have other benefits, but as discussed, we reasoned that an early entry would benefit us the most (there were some other reasons as well that we can discuss later). Also, I was eager to get to an offensive war (at least for a few days...) after having been severly punished in China, Poland and Africa in our last game.

I'm wondering what you spent the 9 or so months of leadership on. You should have a numerical advantage over Germany so its all about making your troops better than getting more of them.

Do you have any overall plan or was it just a 'two front war' strategy to force a german collapse?

I trust daphne switched to 3 year draft before declaring war, so your unit strength should not be too bad initially. With the numbers of divisions the Red Army can field...

I'm wondering what you spent the 9 or so months of leadership on. You should have a numerical advantage over Germany so its all about making your troops better than getting more of them.

Unfortenately, the way best way to prepare for war is to fight one, and without that possibility, I just had to do what I could with my very limited leadership resources. Initially the RA is inferior in so many ways. No officers, no equipment, no training. These are all things you want to improve before facing the enemy. I therefore decided to limit the use of leadership for diplomatic missions. "Applied" research is really slow before you get practicals and combat experience up, but hopefully this should go fast enough once I am in the war and start producing more troops (with the IC boost). Getting the neutrality down to is one important thing, but focusing too much on that may cause other problems (such as having foreign spies infiltrating your society).

Do you have any overall plan or was it just a 'two front war' strategy to force a german collapse?

Sounds like a good plan to me :) Can't say much at this stage, but we obviously wanted to put some pressure on Germany - to punish him for not proposing the M-R pact that would secure good relations with the peace loving russians.

Mr. Susaikov the soviet commander there is a skill4 general, who really should be at the army level or higher, directing the battle, and not in command of mobile divisions. Something fishy going on in here, though it may be just that SOV has maxed out on his command structures, enabling fewer good generals to give the benefits to the largest amount of troops, in a single theater. Or that simply soviet has been using auto-assignment and not cared :D
He he, Laurwin, you really know ure officers ;) With the stressful set up of our game, I guess having less than optimal officers assigned to various troops will be a continuous problem. As we have house rules against building reserve-troops I’m quite sure USSR havn’t maxed out their command structure yet.

I'm little pessimistic here. It's no that the player-controlled USSR doesn't have IC or MP to reinforce their troops and ATM you are pushing forward, but not forming any encirclements. Lack of panzers is evident - you don't have enough mobile troops for proper exploitation. That's why I think that they are so important - even a couple of LARMs could make a difference if they would cooperate with motorised divs. Your strikes should be shocking and overwhelming - without superior firepower and sufficient mobile troops you can only hope to reach IC/MP/resource provinces in Ukraine, but not to win the war. It's a good short-term plan aimed at survival, but that's it.
Of course, things will be easier if the Soviet player makes a blunder, but he seems to be doing fine. However, there may be a chance that he put too many troops in the south, which would allow you to trap at least some of them in the potential pocket.
For the moment,with the rather narrow frontline against USSR, I think it would be extremely difficult to do any pocketing at this point. Look at the stacks he got. It will always stand a strong second line behind the first. I must grind them down and keep the pressure up in order to stress him enough to do a mistake. Once again – I love the mobility of panzers – but I HAD to invest in infantry to be prepared for e 2-front war. And as you say – if I can’t force him to do a mistake this way, it will not be possible to crush him now – ure right about that. There’s still momentum in Operation Storm. I’ll push it a while longer and see what result I get. Then I might have to think again.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter XI – Operation Storm part II

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: The German push in the North East sector drove to a halt in August as the Red Army found perfect defensive lines in swamps, forests and behind rivers. With the Allies pressing on beyond the Maginot line Germany struggled to keep the momentum and some initiative. From this, Operation Storm was born. The idea behind this operation was quickly shifting from the north to the center and attack there together with the Italians – hopefully overwhelming the Red Army in this sektor before they could pull reinforcements from the north (as they had the great marshlands blocking a quick transfer from north to center – a problem German forces was without)

17-2.jpg

September 25th, 1939

Operation Storm is one month old. The Axis have pushed further into the Russian center and the German spearhead have been slowly turning southwards. Together with the Italian’s they finally manage to trap a Russian division. It was just a single division but still a small success.

Eager to make a decisive break in the Russian lines, the German’s let the 1st paratrooper division jump behind the enemy line, in Tarnopol. It was all do to a mistake made in the rush of things. A scouting fighter, led by von Greim, had reported a single HQ. When 1st paras landed, they quickly came under attack from two Russian infantry divisions.

Von Greim started to support the paratroopers with fierce bombing runs and Erwing Rommel’s 1st panzer divisions and several infantry divisions attacked from the north trying to reach the unfortunate paratroopers.

18-1.jpg

September 26th, 1939

Rommel won yet another victory and threw the Russians aside, opening up a route to the paratroopers, giving them an opportunity to retreat.

It sadly turned out that the paratroopers were surrounded and could not flee. They soon surrendered.

::Lucas Bauer was still in Suwalki. Things were orderly here. The 2nd Fallschirmjägar Division hadn’t been part of the war in Poland and as they were an elite unit they did not mistreat the populace. So the relation was fairly good with the Poles. And Lucas enjoyed the city and their camp just outside it. He had time to enjoy the open lands and the different set of flora and fauna. They had wolves here. He hadn’t seen them but you could hear them some nights. It was impressive. And he had some girls too. He sort of dated Anastazja but there were some other girls too. As Lucas didn’t smoke, he had a valuable currency for getting extra food rations, which was the right currency for make friends with the Poles – or at least some of them.::

::When the 1st Fallschirmjägar Division, which also had been based in Suwalki for a while, was flown away on their third combat mission, the guys in 2nd felt all angry and mistreated. They thought it was their turn. Lucas didn’t mind though. After a while, news came in that the mission had become some kind of a disaster. Lucas didn’t hear the details except that they had landed in the midst of plenty of Russian troops. It sounded awful. Later, after the entire division had perished, fighting bravely to the last man, shouting “for the fatherland” – or so the story went – one of von Greims officer was hanged. Apparently, he had made the wrongful observation leading up to the bloodbath. His family trea was not very good, they said. He had managed to hide the fact that he came from a mixed heritage of a lesser race. But now he got to pay for it. Death was too merciful… or so they said. Lucas wasn’t sure about all that. He actually didn’t think too much about it. Back from where he came from, everybody was full bred Germans. He didn’t know what a man with mixed heritage looked like. He best mate in the platoon, Martin, who always dwelled on things, grumpily suggested that Lucas couldn’t tell a so called real German from a mixed one. Lucas was quite sure he could, but then again, he had never seen a mixed one…::

Author’s note: I have not played too much with paras. I thought that they, just like any other ground troops, could retreat to a neighboring friendly province (as it became German before the paras surrendered). But not after a combat jump it seems. I guess it actually makes good sense and is perfectly logic (as a jump in hostile territory make them scattered over the province and not close to a specific border) – but had I known I hadn’t made this order. That was a pure waste.

16-2.jpg

September 15th, 1939

The Allies had take yet another province in the far south, but a stalling battle in Donaueschingen proved very costly for them.

165.jpg

Donaueschingen had, except several lighter forts and fixed cannons, lush forests and a broad river giving the defenders perfect cover. Dead French soldiers piled up high on the beaches. It was pure carnage.

19-1.jpg

September 30th - October 2nd, 1939

The French just did not want to leave the province of Donaueschingen alone. In wave after wave they attacked and the river sometimes ran red from all the corpses and blood. Even if the victories were welcomed by the Germans, they had casualties too, and when the French leader changed butchered divisions for new, it was still the same Germans who had to fight again. In the last battle, 25 French soldiers fell for every German. That was carnage.

The death toll in Donaueschingen was up in 3000 German and 9000 French dead.

20-2.jpg

October 2nd, 1939

If the French died en masse down south – they did a lot better up north with the help of UK forces. More and more Allied troops reached the front and the German defense buckled. This caused the German leadership quite a lot of distress. The Rhine River was their last proper defensive line. After that, the heart of Germany lay open.

21-2.jpg

October 8th, 1939

The unexpected and unwanted war with the Allies had left the weak Italian Africa Corps in an awful situation. Even though the Brits were not too strong either, they were definitely stronger. Tobruk was threatened.

22-2.jpg

October 8th, 1939

But if the Italians in Tobruk started to fear their future it was worse for the Russians in the Far East. The Japs had succeeded with the nasty stunt of deploying troops in the back of the Russians who retreated from Vladivostok. An entire army, albeit small, was captured in a huge pocket (its only oceans in the north). The trap was not final, but it would need a lot of hard work from the Russians to get out of it. This is good news. Axes need some decisive victories.

23-2.jpg

October 9th, 1939

The push into the Russian center continued to slowly turn southwards (due somewhat to the marshlands in the center). A lot of the Red Army had suffered during the summer and autumn, but somehow they always had one more fresh division to throw in. And every time the German soldier had crushed an enemy line, there always a second line with dug in Russians hiding in the God forsaken woods up front. Still, the Axis is slowly gaining ground.

Rohatyn was yet another forest full of Russians. Von Küchler’s division had been through some tough battles before, but he knew they would not fail him. Russian troops came retreating in from other provinces and the defenders in Rohatyn knew they had to keep a retreat-route open for several days.

Operation Storm was still quite successful in the sense that the Red Army was being pushed back. The operation was less successful in the sense that only one Soviet division had been captured and that the Red Army still held their lines intact. This was a troublesome fact since the Allies still kept pressing on in the west. Well, Operation Storm had more to give. Let’s see what’s behind the next few dawns…

Last edited:
I suppose it only feels like things are moving slowly, you have afterall only gotten to october, still...
It's not all that surprising that soviets are getting pushed back, the lack of M-R pact must have been a surprise, any build up plan I've ever done for soviets has, I'm afraid, never considered that possibility, still, with war started they must be catching up fast...
...I wonder if you can push them back fast enough.

All Allied forces are in France I presume? would be really tempted to try landing in northern Italy at this point if I were playing UK, seeing how much of the Italian forces have strayed into Poland...
...but, hmm, actually, those forces in poland would become German in event of Italian surrender wouldn't they? I suppose it wouldn't make much difference then in short term, but still...
...Anything happening in the Franco-Italian border?

It seems that the Allied victories in the West are very costly MP- and IC-wise. Moreover, their advance is rather sluggish and they seem to favour a methodical advance on the broad front rather than a rapid one in just one or two provinces in the frontline. I don't think that it's a good idea. Even if their breakthrough attempts failed in the end, CptEasy would still have to put more divs in the West. That alone, given his stretched resources, would help the Soviets greatly.

The Soviet player is managing his defence very well in Europe. He is very careful and always manage to put some troops in the second line of defence. Despite losses and the fact that he is withdrawing, the Soviets can handle the attrition war just fine as long as the Allies are still a threat in the West. However, in the Far East the Japanese player simply crushed the Soviets there. The Soviet player either forgot about his units in the Far East or got overwhelmed due to constant action in Europe. He would do better by withdrawing along the Trans-Siberian Railway. The Japanese will face some supply issues sooner or later and the Soviets have the benefits of "core" territory. Most of the land in the Far East is worthless - it's the Central Siberia he should be worried about.

Cybvep, I think he forgot. They can't pause, so some mistakes will obviously be done.
I'd leave East on AI if there would be no time to manage.
But my day 1 orders on scenario are always to retreat those East troops at least to Mongolian border, if not back to Europe.
I usually leave some token forces - 5 divisions max to stop the enemy.

France can burn any amount of manpower. They start with over 1000 I think, and even constantly building infantry they would have at least 500 left.
That's enough for a year of war of attrition. Now UK should carefully calculate their strikes and manpower.

And I know why your paratroopers died. It is another bug or stupid WAD.
If enemy is retreating from province, he still counts in that province and your forces can't retreat to that province.
In older game I lost one inf division to slow greeks, as it took forever for them to retreat. Province was mine, but at the same time not mine.

This is getting really scary. All the countries lined up against you now must outproduce you almost 3:1.

Can you keep the US neutral? How close are they to the allies? If they enter, then it really must be game over. Great job staying alive so far though!

Nice update and nice to hear comments from the other players.

To Zid about Jap DoW on UK: It looked like you were able to choose when to declare freely. If so did you make any well planned first strike (Pearl harbour style) on UK in Asia? Any major sea battles?

Rohatyn was yet another forest full of Russians.
Cannot see the forest because all the russians.. Nice defensive play indeed..

I suppose it only feels like things are moving slowly, you have afterall only gotten to october, still... ...I wonder if you can push them back fast enough.

Only October, yes, but time is not the issue really. The issue for me is the Allied advance. If they don’t manage to advance I’m ok with being slow in Soviet. As it is now, I’m just slightly faster in the East than they are in the West. Not a good ratio :( It is simply not fast enough if you ask me. I need to round up a few of those Russians to even out the odds…

...but, hmm, actually, those forces in Poland would become German in event of Italian surrender wouldn't they? I suppose it wouldn't make much difference then in short term, but still...
...Anything happening in the Franco-Italian border?

If Italy “refuses to surrender” I think they’d become German. If Italy do surrender they might actually become Allies if UK goes for the “puppet” option. I don’t like the thought of that…

Everything is “peaceful” in the mountains between France and Italy. If I recall right, they had some minor dog-fights but nothing more. They are quite thin on both sides.

It seems that the Allied victories in the West are very costly MP- and IC-wise. Moreover, their advance is rather sluggish and they seem to favour a methodical advance on the broad front rather than a rapid one in just one or two provinces in the frontline. I don't think that it's a good idea. Even if their breakthrough attempts failed in the end, CptEasy would still have to put more divs in the West. That alone, given his stretched resources, would help the Soviets greatly.

However, in the Far East the Japanese player simply crushed the Soviets there. The Soviet player either forgot about his units in the Far East or got overwhelmed due to constant action in Europe. He would do better by withdrawing along the Trans-Siberian Railway.

France is losing men quickly – but they can afford that, actually. UK can’t and Germany certainly can’t in the long run. Amongst all rivers, forts and occasional woods east of the West Wall I think it’s almost impossible for the Allies to do any blitzing or pockets. I guess they just tries to push me out of the defensible ground and starts blitzing about when they reach open ground. That is at least what I fear. But as mentioned before… I put all new troops in the west.

Yes. I believe Daphne made a quite serious error in the Far East. It’s easy to do, though, with all action on the Sov-Ger border. I’m not sure how much it will matter though. It will take a loooong time before Japan can do any real harm to Soviet from their direction.

This is getting really scary. All the countries lined up against you now must outproduce you almost 3:1.

Can you keep the US neutral? How close are they to the allies? If they enter, then it really must be game over. Great job staying alive so far though!

Fortunately, Palm, I’m not alone ;) so I think your ratio is somewhat misleading. BUT – with France being able to just spit out ground troops is a mounting problem. My plan wasn’t really to end up in a 2-front war even if it was a calculated risk.

US is far away. With the Soviet DOW on Axis our threat will grow very slow. GER threat on US is just above 30 and their neutrality clearly above 90. I don’t think US will play any role in this game. Either I die long before that or I can turn the table and crush Allies/Commies before US can join. Only if we reach a very balanced equilibrium, which I doubt, will US enter this game.

Nice update and nice to hear comments from the other players.

Thanks, and yes – a good multiplayer AAR should have several view-points to be really good. Alas… people can’t be forced ;)

Yes. I believe Daphne made a quite serious error in the Far East.

It was, however not due to unawareness. I saw a large japanese troop movement westbound along the Amur but calculated that they would not have the power to strike across the river. I had no idea that the japanese troops in this area would be so numerous, advanced and still well supplied. I could have evacuated the Far East (leaving only token defense in key areas) but I believed I could hold them back with the troops available. First (and hopefully last) time I make that mistake.

To Zid about Jap DoW on UK: It looked like you were able to choose when to declare freely. If so did you make any well planned first strike (Pearl harbour style) on UK in Asia? Any major sea battles?

As I said, I made PS on both Hong Kong and Singapore. The fleet in Singapore was disorganised, but I don´t think I sank any ships. In Hong Kong I think I sank a SS. Later, the Singapore fleet managed to sneak out for repairs in a safer harbour. No major sea battles in the Far East yet. It seems the UK is unwilling to risk his fleet against the IJN, perhaps wisely.

Daphne, where were all the USSR ships? I actually think that a few USSR subs could have been well used in the China sea.

Daphne, where were all the USSR ships? I actually think that a few USSR subs could have been well used in the China sea.

Maybe you are right. But I thought I'd lose my ports pretty fast so I decided to rebase the fleet to the European Theatre. I think my sub fleet in the Med sank an italian SS around this time.

Regarding the use of AI in the Far East, it doubt it would have helped much. I have seen horrible AI play there and I also counted on having a human player coming in to handle that front for me.

yea, not much point in moving soviet fleet to Asian ports. you're gonna lose them eventually. Then again, is it possible to build a port into a province, with sufficiently low infra, that you cannot actually attack that province with land troops? that would be a fiendish strategy if you put a bunch of subs there and started raiding japan. :D

Cost vs benefit for USSR to maintain a pacific stronghold like an island isn't really there IMO, you need convoys through hostile waters to supply that stuff anyway. Easiest strat for USSR might be to build a bunch of gar brigades, and HQs (without leaders) just to stall and cause attack delays on the Japanese troops. This would only really work if the first line of USSR defense in the east ran around the lake baikal/mongolia, so there's only one way to fall back really, when you're not paying much attention, your troops wont get tangled up in siberia in a massive encirclement. Lack of infrastructure and installations would also enable some bomber work on the advancing japanese.

Something like a strong defense of the Soviet Asian provinces would require somthing like 3 INF divs per border province, at the start of the game the eastern troops are a rag tag mix of small and obsolete divisions and brigades, with non-optimal command structure and bad placement.

It's nice to see that Soviet Union is getting pushed back ^^

Ps. Could you show us what countries are Axis or Allied

Very few others than those from the start have joined either side. Uhm.. I think none, so far. Possibly New Zealand has gone to Allies by now which is far from surprising, desicive or even interesting ;) We pretty much counter-influence everything the other side does. German threat is not that bad preventing many countries, like Canada, to join Allies even if they have aligned close enough to do it. Axis havn't gained any minor allies yet - and not the Commies either.

The real reason why the situation in the Far East is so distorted and unimportant is the fact that Sino-Japanese War is concluded far too quickly, so the Japanese can concentrate their forces on the border and overwhelm the Soviets easily. Moreover, since there is no real Lend-Lease in HOI3, Vladivostock is of no use. Capturing it won't even have any propaganda effect in this game. That's why many players ignore the Far East entirely.