• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the formula is something along the lines of :
Casualities =(unmodified casualties/1+Military Tactics), so a tactics of 1 would reduce your loses by 50%, but I could be remembering the formula for Victoria 2.

that is also the formula used in EU3 since HTTT according to the wiki. But the reason I said that it didn't have an impact till LT 18 was due to the big increases in damage at LT 18 in addition to the tactics going up to 2 at the same time.You are correct that it reduces damage by close to 50% due to roundings, but the bonus damage of calvary over infantry during the early years is greater than this reduction.

Actually that is not correct. For the western/latin group you just need 1 more infantry unit than calvary. For the nomad/hordes it goes as low as a single infantry for unlimited calvary. You can easily verify this by looking at your stack. If the caalvary is red you are not getting the modifier. Otherwise you are.

And the modifier doesn't have an impact till LT 18 when it hits two if I recall correctly.

I may have to research this; if that's true, I've been building too many infantry units in the early game and probably causing myself no end of grief. If I understand you right, you're saying that 5 inf, 4, cav, 1 art would get the tactics bonus (using 10 total for a reference)?

I may have to research this; if that's true, I've been building too many infantry units in the early game and probably causing myself no end of grief. If I understand you right, you're saying that 5 inf, 4, cav, 1 art would get the tactics bonus (using 10 total for a reference)?
Yes. And take ages to get anywhere, because of the artillery.

I would ignore the art till around LT 18 or even 22. And then for only the big fighting stack. Art is too slow as grommile said but once you pin the enemy you can add the stack with art to deal some big damage.

But early game (up to LT 18 at least) I would build 6 inf and 4 cav for that 10 stack.

I am Teutonic Order, now a HRE member. If I attack Riga, will Austria, the HREmperor, come to their aid?

I am Teutonic Order, now a HRE member. If I attack Riga, will Austria, the HREmperor, come to their aid?
Only if you lack a CB, or the fifth imperial reform (Ewiger Landfriede) has been enacted.

They may also skip the war if they are in a war with a high WE. Or in a war allied with you against another party.

They may also skip the war if they are in a war with a high WE. Or in a war allied with you against another party.
Strictly speaking, if they're in a war allied with you against another party, they won't receive CtAs against you for any reason under the sun.

Does it lose the effect once it becomes a self-sustaining colony or does it still have the 33% population growth once it's self-sustaining

Someone answer this please!

Does the global colonial growth idea still grant +33% growth to a colony once it becomes selfsustaining?

According to the wiki, inheriting a country automatically grants cores, which it certainly did when I inherited Brandenburg as Bavaria, and when I inherited Provence as Burgundy. However, as Castille I just inherited Urbino and didn't get a core (leaving me with a high revolt risk there). Is this a bug or is there something the wiki isn't telling me?

According to the wiki, inheriting a country automatically grants cores, which it certainly did when I inherited Brandenburg as Bavaria, and when I inherited Provence as Burgundy. However, as Castille I just inherited Urbino and didn't get a core (leaving me with a high revolt risk there). Is this a bug or is there something the wiki isn't telling me?

You only get cores when you inherit a country with the same culture unless you are both in the HRE.

Ah ok, so if Castille inherited Aragon they'd get cores, but if they inherited, say, Navarre, they wouldn't?

Navarre are Basque aren't they? So I guess they wouldn't get the core but in that situation I'm not 100%. It wouldn't work for Spain - Urbino but usually as Castile you get good missions to vassalize or conquer Navarre which will give you a core on them.

While invading Austria I try to march my troops into Venezia but they refuse to move into it. They march right up to the border and then stop. Why and how do I fix this?

Venice use their Navy to block your troops. So to get your troops in there you need to either defeat their navy or at least have them distracted somewhere else.

Whats the best (if there is any) Way to exploit the 50 Relations you get for defending the HRE as Emperor? Currently I am doing a WC and became emperor recently, getting the Authority is easy, I kept 5 little Hordes as enclaves in my territory, so they net me 50 Authority every 5 Years, the problem is that increasing the relations with all the minors is tedious.
My plan was to expand the Empire around one of the Hordes and then release a nation that has cores around it (Astrakhan in my case), will I get the Call to Arms as Emperor if I cancel the vasalship? If not: Is there any other way to manage what I want to do`? There simply is no other nation in the world that could attack anything inside the HRE and I just don't have the diplomats I need to have.