• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
why does the population in some provinces say 999,999? is that a bug? what's the real population?

It's the maximum the game engine can display. It just means "lots and lots" :)

How can I see the (military) terrain bonuses on the provinces ? Some provinces have -2, others with mountains sometimes have -4 etc. It is hard to make an offensive strategy if I don't know the penalties of the terrain conditions beforehand :) Can anyone tell me please?

How can I see the (military) terrain bonuses on the provinces ? Some provinces have -2, others with mountains sometimes have -4 etc. It is hard to make an offensive strategy if I don't know the penalties of the terrain conditions beforehand :) Can anyone tell me please?

Terrain mapmode (default Q) shows what % of each province is each terrain. When you enter a province with 20% mountains and 80% plains, you have a 20% chance of fighting in the mountains (-4 bonus) and 80% chance of fighting in plains (no bonus). River crossings are -1 bonus but they're pretty easy to spot.

No, HRE membership or holding the HRE throne has no effect.

What's your current government? You have to be Feudal Monarchy or Despotic Monarchy to take the Imperial Administration decision.

Thank you for directing me to the Wiki for governments. It explained everything including the empire national decision. My current government is administrative monarchy soon to be constitutional monarchy.

I am still perplexed by the fact that I can't build the grain depot. I have plenty of provinces with grain that are also cores. It is not a game breaker as I have plenty of ducats and can still be profitable during war time without war taxes even with 270 regiments and 150 ships. Just trying to learn game mechanics.

Terrain mapmode (default Q) shows what % of each province is each terrain. When you enter a province with 20% mountains and 80% plains, you have a 20% chance of fighting in the mountains (-4 bonus) and 80% chance of fighting in plains (no bonus). River crossings are -1 bonus but they're pretty easy to spot.

Thanks! that clears it up

One more quick question: Why would a horde player vassalize a country? Since you are a horde you can not ally your vassal so they will not help you in a war. Also, I don't think it is possible to end the vassalization without declaring war, which would result in a massive stability hit since he is still your vassal, you have no casus belli, and you have good relations. Annexing is not possible either I think (when I hover the mouse over this option it says that hordes are only interested in gold and iron)

The only thing you do get is half his tax, but it does not seem like a good option for horde players to vassalize a country. You will be stuck with this vassal forever?

Or did I overlook something?

(I'm playing divine wind, beta patch 5.1)

Aah thanks I guess that's the answer. ty! (btw, I guess that as soon as you stop being a horde by forming the mughal empire for instance you do not have the nice feature anymore that you can annex territory by just occupying it for ~2 years?)

The only thing you do get is half his tax, but it does not seem like a good option for horde players to vassalize a country. You will be stuck with this vassal forever?
Small countries will basically never act to break their vassalization - and half his tax is probably more than the tribute he'd give you. So, it's money you don't have to fight for. Also, provinces Horde-ified by occupation don't have your cores on them, so provide more nuisance value than they do monetary value.

Also, if the Horde ever takes a form nation decision, I would expect their tribute arrangements to go away, but not their vassalage arrangements.

How do you form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and what do you get for it?

Um.. you.. can't. You can form Great Britain and that's it. Sorry, it's weird, I know.

Another question: I think I have no patches installed. If I download the latest one (29th June?) will I get them all or should I download each one separately?

Getting 29th June should give you everything, yes.

That both sucks and blows, you can form fantasy nations that didn't exist in the timeline like Germany and Italy but you can't form a nation that actually existed:s
The general flow of events in the game mean it would almost always just be an extra freebie for ex-England.

GBR *is* basically the UK, has the flag and everything. Just the name is the problem.

Also, the changing of Great Britain to the UKofGBandI had little if any effect globally, and there's already a regional formation (GBR). Germany and Italy are in the game as there is no regional formation and players would want something to form. After all, being stuck as Vijayanagar is kind of lame, you want recognition for uniting India!

Edit: If you seek out the modding subforum, you can ask them where to change the localisation so that it appears as 'United Kingdom' instead of 'Great Britain'. (Ambiguous enough to also be the United Kingdom of Great Britain)

GBR *is* basically the UK, has the flag and everything. Just the name is the problem.

The Flag of the UK is slightly different as it has the flag of St Patrick on it where the flag of GB doesn't.

Also, the changing of Great Britain to the UKofGBandI had little if any effect globally, and there's already a regional formation (GBR). Germany and Italy are in the game as there is no regional formation and players would want something to form. After all, being stuck as Vijayanagar is kind of lame, you want recognition for uniting India!

I guess I see your point now.

One more quick question: Why would a horde player vassalize a country? Since you are a horde you can not ally your vassal so they will not help you in a war. Also, I don't think it is possible to end the vassalization without declaring war, which would result in a massive stability hit since he is still your vassal, you have no casus belli, and you have good relations. Annexing is not possible either I think (when I hover the mouse over this option it says that hordes are only interested in gold and iron)

Or did I overlook something?

(I'm playing divine wind, beta patch 5.1)

If you're a small horde(9 provinces or lower) you don't get Tribal Succession Crisis'(TSC). These can be nice to avoid while you're planning for something bigger but need some extra cash. Vassalizing quiets those fronts and give you half their monthly tax income, as well as increasing you Forcelimits iirc. I did this when I formed the Mughals with Chagatai.

Easy. Form GBR and release Scotland, tag switch to any Irish minor, conquer and form Ireland with British help and then return to your game as Britain. If you manage to PU Ireland and Scotland you should have the UK, but I am not sure if it is worth gameplaywise :p

And thanks, Gela.