• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I see a lot of people in the forums talking about expanding by "forcing personal unions". Could you explain the sequence of mechanics that one carries out to execute this?

Also, when I have a negative prestige change for "Uncontested Claims", does that refer to provinces with my core that I don't own, or something else?

I see a lot of people in the forums talking about expanding by "forcing personal unions". Could you explain the sequence of mechanics that one carries out to execute this?

RM a country, claim throne, wage war, select "Union" peace, have PU. Increase relations to >0, wait for monarch to die, inherit. If in HRE, gain cores on everything. Win! :)

Also, when I have a negative prestige change for "Uncontested Claims", does that refer to provinces with my core that I don't own, or something else?

It applies to all core provinces you or your vassals do not own.

Im playing as Holland and I cant seem to change from Administrative Monarchy to Administrative republic. I have the stababilty and Tech.... It allows me to go back to despotic moanchry though.... Is it because I have personal unions ?

thanks.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything like my question, so I hope this isn't a repeat.

I'm playing HttT and am curious about the temples. It says "-5 stability cost" for when you build one. I searched the wiki's and Google to no avail, as well as this forum (not for hours, but long enough). Is that "-5 stability cost" one time or repetitive for each time you upgrade the stab tech? Meaning will it only take 5 away for the current stability increase I am currently researching, or will it take off 5 each and every time?

Thank you in advance for the help, these kinds of threads are life savers for the new guys :D

Just to double check but the income that you gain from Centres of Trade that goes to whatever technologies you're researching, if you want to get actualy gold out of it you have to mint right? Or am I misunderstanding things.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything like my question, so I hope this isn't a repeat.

I'm playing HttT and am curious about the temples. It says "-5 stability cost" for when you build one. I searched the wiki's and Google to no avail, as well as this forum (not for hours, but long enough). Is that "-5 stability cost" one time or repetitive for each time you upgrade the stab tech? Meaning will it only take 5 away for the current stability increase I am currently researching, or will it take off 5 each and every time?

Thank you in advance for the help, these kinds of threads are life savers for the new guys :D

Each time. You have a max stability cost like you have a max land tech cost for the next level, once you reach that it goes to the next level. Difference being the land/naval/etc techs continually go up w/ the level of the tech while the stab cost is determained by other things like the number or wrong culture/religion provinces and such. Temples will lower this cost by -5 continously, the bonus wont go away with attaining a new stab level.

Just to double check but the income that you gain from Centres of Trade that goes to whatever technologies you're researching, if you want to get actualy gold out of it you have to mint right? Or am I misunderstanding things.

All your income is combined and then applied to expenses. One of those 'expenses' is indeed minting.

i see, on that note, what is the best way to increase ducats so i can fund spy activity? tribute?

Minting and Patience. Build your economy and you yearly census taxes will increase which means more money to work with. Later on you can hire Masters of Mint, employ the National Bank NI, and several other tricks to give yourself negative inflation growth. This will over time reduce any inflation you racked up in the early game and also allow you to mint some(though at the cost of teching faster). Even reducing you monthly losses to zero will be a big step as you can use your entire census tax towards what ever you want and not supporting the odds and ends(military, colonists, etc).

Wars can be a good source of ducats too provided your target has plenty of them. But its unreliable as they tend to spend them trying to beat you as well as the costs associated w/ war may tip the balance to make it a net loss in the end. Trading republics(Hansa, Venice) can be good targets, as are the small HRE nations. They tend to accrue gobs and are relatively weak. The big boys generally have alot too, but they are obviously harder to tackle let alone convince to give up anything.

You mean cores because the PU target is in the same culture group or cores from forming the HRE nation? or do you mean something else that I dont know about? :)

Since DW, if a HRE nations PU-merges another HRE nation, you get cores on all the land, not only those provinces of your culture.

Since DW, if a HRE nations PU-merges another HRE nation, you get cores on all the land, not only those provinces of your culture.

I see, good to know, playing Austria -> germany atm and trying to PU everyone. I left the HRE on first day tho.. luckily i dont think the hre states comes much outside the HRE in this game :)

If I purchased the game as a CD from a store, is it possible to register the game on Steam? I bought a physical copy of EUIII Complete, but now I am interested in purchasing the HttT and DW expansions through Steam. I tried to register the game on Steam by simply putting the CD key that came with the game into their system, but it says it is an "invalid CD key". Will I have to buy the Steam version of EUIII: Complete if I want the Steam expansions?

I'm playing as the Byzantines and the year is 1500. I want to get rid of that ugly desert province that you need to annex Syria and I was going to do this by releasing Syria after wiping out all of the other cores. This desert province will core in November 1502 and I don't want to get the prestige penality if I release Syria later. The problem is that after I promoted cultural unity in almost all of Syria's cores, the game won't let me finsih off one of the two remaining cores. Is this supposed to happen?

I'm playing as the Byzantines and the year is 1500. I want to get rid of that ugly desert province that you need to annex Syria and I was going to do this by releasing Syria after wiping out all of the other cores. This desert province will core in November 1502 and I don't want to get the prestige penality if I release Syria later. The problem is that after I promoted cultural unity in almost all of Syria's cores, the game won't let me finsih off one of the two remaining cores. Is this supposed to happen?

Two possibilities.
1. The province in question isn't affected by your National Focus, which is a requirement to enact Cultural Unity. Make sure the province in question has a border w/ the National Focus province.
2. Syria revolted elsewhere. Cultural Unity only removes cores from countrys that no longer exist, if Syria was destroyed but revolted again outside your lands you wouldn't be able to remove those last cores.

If I purchased the game as a CD from a store, is it possible to register the game on Steam? I bought a physical copy of EUIII Complete, but now I am interested in purchasing the HttT and DW expansions through Steam. I tried to register the game on Steam by simply putting the CD key that came with the game into their system, but it says it is an "invalid CD key". Will I have to buy the Steam version of EUIII: Complete if I want the Steam expansions?

Possibly, but I'm not 100% certain. Another option would be to make a GamersGate account and buy HttT and DW from there. Its a digital download service like steam run by Paradox but w/o all the intrusive crap that goes along w/ steam.

Two possibilities.
1. The province in question isn't affected by your National Focus, which is a requirement to enact Cultural Unity. Make sure the province in question has a border w/ the National Focus province.
2. Syria revolted elsewhere. Cultural Unity only removes cores from countrys that no longer exist, if Syria was destroyed but revolted again outside your lands you wouldn't be able to remove those last cores.
1. Yes, my national focus is Damascus
2. I think it didn't. I own all of Syria's cores and I can still see Syria in the create vassals button.