• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(164365)

Corporal
1 Badges
Sep 8, 2009
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
For about 12 years now ive had 0% taxes for middle and upper classes, but investment has been pretty low (0) over the past 7-8 years. I would have thought that by doing this i would have much investment (also 24% upper class arent getting their needs?). I have been focusing investment on craftsmen and clerks, but now i have started encouraging capitalists in Brandenburg (presence only 0.87%) and Hannover which only has one factory but is second most populated. Do i have to have low taxes aswell as encourage capitalists to get investment???

The only thing i can think of which is hampering them is my high 50% tarrifs which help protect my industry. (Its 1858 but ive formed north German confedaration).
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If your policy allow capitalist to build factory, you must focus on state where there is already some factories and increase their benefit. This will ensure that those capitalist in this state get money so they can invest in other state and start the economy.

How many workers are there currently in the factories that you already have? In my experience as Prussia/the NGF it was tricky to get enough craftsmen in the early game.

Your capitalists won't build factories unless you have workers filling something like 2/3 of available factory jobs (I don't think clerks count either way).

Having a focus on capitalists will encourage POPs to promote to them and stop existing capitalists demoting. However, unless the conditions mentioned above are met, and unless they have sufficient money, then they'll just sit there unprofitably.

Tariffs will affect factory profitability, but if you're able to make money with the current factories then it shouldn't make too much difference in this regard. Of the 24% of the upper class not getting their needs met how many of these are capitalists? It might be that they're demanding luxury goods that you need to import, which means that your tariffs will be having a negative effect on them by forcing them to spend more of their money.

Have your capitalists started projects that they can't afford to finish, or is it just a case of them sitting around and not doing anything at all?

As to what you can do, you could try lowering tariffs to see what effect that has. Research will also change the balance of profitability, so if you can concentrate on the commerce and industrial techs - especially railways - then do so. Building a rail network is generally beneficial, although you might have to pay for the first level or so out of your own funds.

Other than that, patience is your best friend. In my current Germany game my industry didn't start to take off until the 1870s/80s, but by the 1910s it was booming.

I have an interventionist (Konservative) party, and yeh, i think the 1870's/80's is when it will take off. Only in westfalen and brandenberg do i have factorys that get full and need expanding (e.g. Glass factory level 6)

Get a steel factory going in the Nordrhine. This is the historic Ruhr area and can be a huge economic boost. Do the same in Silesia. I've seen these 2 steel factories produce most of the world's supply around 1900. Both were double digits in size. Probably would have continued, but that's when I started diversifying those 2 areas. My next go around I expect to do that much quicker.

To do this, you'll have to switch to the Reactionary party so that you can get State Capitalism.

Any chance that you're still running version 1.1 ?
Because having a factory lvl 6 while no other are built over your land is typical of 1.1...

Hmm, I personally don't lower the taxes at all in the first 20 years or more. They are low anyway. What I do instead is to have negative tolls. This way the capis have more money to invest and the factories are more profitable.

capitalists in Brandenburg (presence only 0.87%)

That's a lot. Usually in my games I have about 0.3% capitalists in the most populous provinces, and that's enough for them to build factories like mad all over the country. So I guess your problem is rather the lack of craftsmen filling the existing factories, which is typical for Germany.

That's a lot. Usually in my games I have about 0.3% capitalists in the most populous provinces, and that's enough for them to build factories like mad all over the country. So I guess your problem is rather the lack of craftsmen filling the existing factories, which is typical for Germany.
Too many capitalists can also be a problem. The total factory profits are distributed among the capitalists, so if there are too many, they won't have enough income to generate surplus for investments.