• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pallen

Colonel
70 Badges
Apr 26, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Knights of Honor
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
So im playing as Austria and I haven't had a single rebellion before 1880 where only 2 brigades of Jacobin Rebels revolted. The Communists haven't popped up yet. So has Paradox totally destroyed the rebels now? =P

Trust me, no matter what, Rebels will appear if they don't sporadically rebel. Once had 35 years without rebels then 1.14 million communists decided it was the right time.

I posted a thread on this - it tends to happen around 1890 all around the world. I think it has mostly to do with rising con, plurality, causing reform desire, which causes militancy. Though how con, plurality, and militancy interact... I'm not really quite sure.

Trust me, no matter what, Rebels will appear if they don't sporadically rebel. Once had 35 years without rebels then 1.14 million communists decided it was the right time.

Rebels are not inevitable if you work on it. In my last German game I've played up to 1920 and the biggest revolt I've had was a Bavarian nationalist rebellion in just four provinces. And I have 30% unemployment thanks to full healthcare reforms.

What exactly is it I'm supposed to do to keep them from rebelling? And if the government is a democracy why can't the populace effect changes? While I understand that some cultures resort to armed insurrection on a dime others are willing to work within a reasonable political process.

Sometimes you can't do anything. Other times, increasing militancy will allow your government to pass reforms. I suspect that it matters which you pass in which order. I've had games where I'm able to pass a bunch, and other games where I can't pass any despite having militancy consistently over 1.0.

What happens seems to vary game by game.

In the past I've tried to enact a reform every time I get a mass revolt, but that was 1.1. I think that in 1.2 I may not run out of reforms even if I enact one every time I can.

The more I play, the less I understand the rebellion mechanics. With Russia, I never managed to build up any militancy even when I tried hard, but had frequent full scale revolts in all 150 or so provinces. With Germany, I built up mil to 6+ many times without ever seeing a rebel.

Maybe your Russia had massive numbers of clerics draining the populace's souls.

If so maybe the answer to throw clerics at them.

In my experience it's actually not about passing as many reforms as you can, but instead only passing reforms when a large proportion of your population wants it. Most of the time when POPs rebel its because reform desire drove up their militancy; it takes a while, however, before POPs actually gain enough reform desire for it to become an issue. If you pass reforms prematurely it just means that you don't satisfy your POP's reform desires, seeing as they don't have any yet.

Also, maintaining a large army helps keep peasants from having funny thoughts.

The more I play, the less I understand the rebellion mechanics. With Russia, I never managed to build up any militancy even when I tried hard, but had frequent full scale revolts in all 150 or so provinces. With Germany, I built up mil to 6+ many times without ever seeing a rebel.

Because rebels do not revolt on the basis of average militancy. You need to look at the actual POPs themselves to see if they would rebel or not. Chances are you have a very militant minority of POPs in your Russian game that kept revolting every chance they get even though the rest of the country is content. This happens a lot to large empires like Russia with many different cultures spread out across two continents.

Ok, scan through all the pops on a regular schedule and when there is enough militancy throw the appropriate reform at them.

If your legislature will allow it.