• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NoClass

Captain
74 Badges
Feb 10, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
I posted this in the bug forum, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

I'm playing a game as Japan. There haven't been any noticeable bugs so far, but sometime around late 1883/early 1884 (not sure exactly when) all of Japan's poor pops stop consuming all life goods (fish, cattle, grain, wool, and fruit). Hovering over the little water glass icon give a message saying "some goods are not available."

This bug affects every single poor pop, but no other classes of pop. The poor pops have plenty of cash, and in fact buy many everyday and luxury goods.

Two goods are produced in abundance in Japan, most are available on the common market, and all are overproduced on the world market.

Saving and reloading with other nations suggest they aren't affected by this.

So, what in blazes is going on? I now can't play a game I've invested many, many hours in.

Actually, I think I found the culprit.

Bottom Line Up Front: The "Opium Problem" province modifier is seriously bugged and controlling three provinces with this modifier removes all poor pop life need consumption.

I've been conquering territories during a war with Yemen, which has multiple provinces with "Opium Problem" which amongst other things gives a "Life needs for poor strata -40%." Presumably, this is supposed to affect just the province that has the modifier, but clearly it's affecting the entire nation. Upon conquering three provinces with this problem, my poor pops suddenly stop consuming life needs, perhaps because they have a -120% life need modifier. Loading the game as Yemen when it controls three of these provinces shows that it's poor pops don't consume life needs either.

Strangely, my poor pops don't seem to consume less with only one or two of those provinces controlled, the effect is only noticeable nationally when you conquer three.

Some things I have observed regarding poor POPs not buying certain goods.

1) The UK eats up alot of things on the WM with #1 prestige. Sometimes, the goods are simply not there. This is WAD.

2) If you are short of something that both POPs and factories use (i.e. timber), and the UK is eating most of it up on the WM, and you do not produce enough in your SOI to cover both POPs and factories, factories will get it first and the POPs will not get their needs met. I assume this is WAD,as the alternative is worse.

3) Generally, when I am short of a good that has insane demand on the WM (timber and fruit are the habitual offenders), I will annex provinces from uncivs that produce the resource. China has some lucrative timber provinces, and with your advanced technology, you can meet your needs by annexing the provinces in question.

4) POPs who cannot get a good due to lack of it on the WM, and who are still able to buy luxury goods, will still be happy. So, while there might be good money to be had in fixing the resource shortage, it should not screw with militancy too much.

1) The UK eats up alot of things on the WM with #1 prestige. Sometimes, the goods are simply not there. This is WAD.

We should just mod the UK to be the United Hoover Kingdom.

Perhaps. :)

The good news is that the UK subsidizes its ridiculous industries. If you can grab the right RGOs, and build the right intermediate factories, you can make good money supplying the UK things like lumber, steel, and electical gears if the UK forgets to build enough of those factories.

Just dont bother making clothes. They own 99% of the world's dye, and will spam clothing factories until they run out of dye. :(

Indeed, it seems like this part of the game is largely unchanged from V1. I wonder how difficult it would be to model a "goods availability percentage" so that low prestige countries could at least get a portion of desired goods instead of simply assigning a heirarchy. It'd probably slow down the game too much.

Nevertheless, I'd love to get to the point where I get to troubleshoot my pops buying habit in a game with a complex economic model based on Victorian history. Instead I'm finding bugs in a game for which I paid good money.

BTW here is the event modifier for "Local Opium Habit"
local_opium_habit = {
poor_life_needs = -0.4
mine_rgo_eff = -0.2
farm_rgo_eff = -0.2
pop_consciousness_modifier = -0.01
icon = 20
}

"mine_rgo_eff," like many modifiers, affects just one province, if the efficiency tooltips are to be believed. But it looks like "poor_life_needs" has a nationwide effect which is clearly not WAD. I haven't experimented with it too much, but it looks like the nationwide effect doesn't come in to play until poor_life_needs stacks beyond -1.0. It's hard to tell because there is no tooltip when you hover over pop needs. Basically, pops nationwide buy the same amount of stuff when you have one or two provinces with the modifier, but suddenly stop when you get a third. I have no idea how it affects pops in the individual provinces.

I'm not even sure if it would be WAD if it did only affect one province. Why would a widespread opium problem make poor people demand fewer basic goods?

Actually, there is one thing I'm still curious about. As I mentioned, there's no tooltip when you hover over pop needs, so it's difficult to glean what actually affects pop buying habits. The baseline is in the poptypes files, and I assume it's scaled by pop size. I've also noticed that the amount demanded seems to increase with consciousness, but by how much is unclear.

General question: What actually influences pop needs?

Last edited:
Just as a word of caution: please don't spam this thread.

I'm not even sure if it would be WAD if it did only affect one province. Why would a widespread opium problem make poor people demand fewer basic goods?

Addicts have a surpressed appetite and tend not to want to buy anything other than more opium. But yeah, this shouldn't be used on province modifiers.

Many elements that can be set in those province effet act as national modifier and not province one. Hopefully, those are not, for the majority, in vanilla.
I remember of someone with a modded version of mafia crime with added effect to lower tax efficiency... he got too much mafia -> tax gave money to POP.

I wouldn't be surprise that a lot of effect that can affect local and global are used in the wrong way in this case (but as not used by vanilla, not tested). X_life_needs seems to be the exeption that is in vanilla and not WAD.

Which is pretty silly, considering this is not even how a globalized world works. How can the UK demand first dibs on resources from Georgia in 1836? They should have no range at all on something like that.

Which is pretty silly, considering this is not even how a globalized world works. How can the UK demand first dibs on resources from Georgia in 1836? They should have no range at all on something like that.

And that is why we want the regional markeds expansion...

Addicts have a surpressed appetite and tend not to want to buy anything other than more opium. But yeah, this shouldn't be used on province modifiers.

but a whole -40%? Hell, most potheads I know consume MORE life goods!

In all seriousness, aside from the national effect bug, this ain't a big deal.

Also, you may have noticed that I was an ass and started basically two identical threads in different forums. This thread has evolved into a goods availability discussion. Any way for me to change the title?

Considering the alternatives, this is an abstraction that makes sense. Yes, realistically, this should not be occuring. But the reality of development time and testing means that more complicated regional markets, as suggested by others in this thread, may be beyond the reach of the initial development of the game. This also does not factor in SOIs. To be honest, with the bonuses and pelantlies assigned to generating influence in countries that either border you or are on other continents, the world SHOULD settle into regionally appropriate SOIs, creating regional markets. Since it costs more influence to sphere countries on other continents, this simulates the difficulty in controlling that market, not unlike your complaint about the UK grabbing goods from Georgia in 1836.

As for complaints about the UK's devouring of resources, I would like to point out that the lack of needed natural resources is a very appropriate problem to face in the Victorian period. As your historical counterparts did historically, you should be carving a "place in the sun" anyway, and that empire you are building should be geared to making your like easier economically. Are you short iron and coal? Annex Korea. Need oil? Annex or sphere Brunei and other minor uncivs with oil (annex for preference, since oil production is lousy with low techs and infrastructure). Planning on dominating the market for telephones, airplanes, and cars? You better put Brazil and the Netherlands into your SOI so you have sole access to their rubber. (In my current USA game, I make so many things that require rubber than the whole planet's supply is tapped out!) And if you are going to get into furniture in a big way, annex pieces of China that produce timber. Between POPs and factories, you will need it badly.

My point is that while regional markets might make more historical sense, the reality is that you need to use SOIs and outright annexation to create those regional markets with the current game model. It is possible to do this and get around the UK's ever insatiable appetite for resources. And it is one of the things that requires some real strategy. Players in other threads have complained that they feel like they sit back and watch the game run on full speed while waiting between wars. Those that do that for more than a few years at a time are not seeing all the in-game tasks that should and need to be performed in order to be successful. Monopolizing the world's supply of oil, and therefore fuel, in order to cripple British naval dominance in the cruiser/dreadnought era requires real finesse; it is also quite satisfying going to war with the UK in 1915, knowing that the 3,000 ships they have will fight at 75% of their efficiency due to having almost no fuel available, while your own navy wanders the world, sinking them and laughing maniacally. And this does not even factor in tank brigades they won't have because they have no rubber with which to build cars->barrels.

It almost makes gas attacks redundant. Almost. :D