• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Granatenwerfer

Major
21 Badges
Jan 5, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Playing as Argentina (STP #16 at the moment) I have 2 cement factories. Cement is urgently needed in my land.
The input need for cement is coal. I watch the coal price steadily. Every time the supply of about 10.000 meets to a desire of about 7.000 at a moderate price.
My tariffs are set to -1%.

Anyhow my factories dismiss people, sometimes the coal button is red and the context menu says to me 'Factory couldnot afford to buy all its inputs yesterday'. It can't be, because my factories make profit all the time. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.

I don't understand it.
It is annoying. What am i doing wrong? I want my factories to produce at full capacity, because the desire for cement is high - not only in my land.

I thought setting up factories is easier in the game....

I think everyone has this problem. No idea what causes it but it's seriously annoying.

I think everyone has this problem. No idea what causes it but it's seriously annoying.

The cause is not enough coal being produced, this solves itself by inventions and bonus production things triggering. Only problem is that as argentina, you can't do anything about it.

Can't be it as demand is 7k and supply is 10k, as he said in the first post.

You're right........ very strange, is the cement being sold at a loss? If not, maybe try closing down the factory and let them re-open.

IMO you should priotitise one factory. Maybe this helps, as they draw needed materials first. The other will then slowly shrink until it can buy everything it needs.

does the factory get enough cement/machine tools for maintainence ? hover over the stuff right above - or over the profit number - there should be listed, if they can buy also stuff for maintainence.
Or do your factory growth actually very fast (number of workers) ? then it would be only a temporarly problem

Thanks, folks, for your kind help. :)

@Al. I. Cuza
Are you sure prioritising a factory solves the problem getting all input needs? I thought prioritising is only helpfull to employ more workers to a specific factory. Basically, it is unimportant how many workers a factory has. Okay, the input amount depends on the amount of workers, but it seems to be that independently from the amount of workers I got the message 'Factory couldnot afford to buy all its inputs yesterday'.

@AlknicTeos
I don't know. I have to check it.

@lama
I tried both.
Even though I think only the salaries can subsidied.
If you want to subsidy the input needs of a factory you have to lower the tariffs. My tariff is already at -1%.
I don't understand why there is profit from the factory on one hand and on the other hand there is not enough money for a good that is not in high demand.

@Al. I. Cuza
Are you sure prioritising a factory solves the problem getting all input needs? I thought prioritising is only helpfull to employ more workers to a specific factory. Basically, it is unimportant how many workers a factory has. Okay, the input amount depends on the amount of workers, but it seems to be that independently from the amount of workers I got the message 'Factory couldnot afford to buy all its inputs yesterday'.

How much didn't they afford? Sometimes it's simply 0.01 or something like that.

How much didn't they afford? Sometimes it's simply 0.01 or something like that.

Indeed, in the factories in my game, sometimes this message means slowed production, and sometimes no production at all. It would be nice to know what is really going on, but PI isn't big on letting people see under the hood of the game engine.

Indeed, in the factories in my game, sometimes this message means slowed production, and sometimes no production at all. It would be nice to know what is really going on, but PI isn't big on letting people see under the hood of the game engine.

IMO it is indeed annoying that it is neither mentioned in the manual nor in the Strategy Guide. So we can't evaluate if it is a bug (broken producion chains) or is it from our bad playing.

But what the most annoying thing is that there is no help from Paradox here!
I did not post that question, because I have too much free time. The question has support charakter! Anyone from Paradox please answer!

I'm getting a very similar problem as France fairly late in the game. I'm running lots of fuel factories but they are unable to buy sufficient oil. All are flagged for subsidies but this is irrelevant since they make a massive profit. Currently France is short of fuel for the army so there is no issue with demand. If I check the world market there appears to be a massive surplus of oil that nobody is buying. The world market info indicates that I am only buying oil equivalent to French production. This is all very strange and I'm quite certain that something is a bit broken but I'm not sure what it is.

The source is again UK behemoth. Their high prestige allows them to get every raw meterial they need and their subsidized factories need so much inputs, that there can't be enough for everyone. Quick fix for this is changing all UK parties to L-F. It isn't perfect, but certainly better.

I'm just discovering Victoria2, but i feel there's something terribly wrong. I started a game as Sweden and built a lumber mill and a furniture factory, wanting to start Ikea a century earlier. Both factories were making huge profits and then just like that, the furniture factory closes because it does not get enough lumber on the market. But that cannot be, I'm producing 10x as much lumber as it needs. I even tried to stockpile lumber and let my factories buy it. It sits in the stock pile, but does not get bought. I reopened the factory plenty of times but it goes bankrupt immediately!?

If you ended up in a Sphere of Influence, the Great Power over you is probably using all your resources.

If you ended up in a Sphere of Influence, the Great Power over you is probably using all your resources.

As I told before there is no SOI.
I have experienced the weird situation e.g. a cement factory makes profit but has not the money to buy coal; my artillery factory makes losses all the time but has enough money to afford all input needs. I subsidy both.

Coal is not in high demand. So IMO prestige should not be the question.

There is a lack of communication by Paradox.