• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(149861)

Colonel
4 Badges
Aug 8, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Pillars of Eternity
Hi all.

brazil.jpg

This is going to be my first, and hopefully not the last AAR I attempt. I decided on Brazil, as its one of the few minors exciting enough to play. Its also in a nice-out-of-the-way place, where a nice empire can be forged

My goals.

Expand the Brazilian Armed Forces
Unite South America
Join the Axis Powers
Seize forigen colonies and take the Panama Canal

Conditions

Ive decided to let the guarrentees on South American countries remain, for the sake of the AAR
I will be editing Brazils leadership values, as I find leadership in South America severly lacking.
Cheats will be avoided (except noneutrality, unless im going to wait to 1950 to Dow anyone!

The technological situation was very poor for Brazil, so research was ordered into the production of a new basic service rifle for the Brazilian infantryman. Other projects were commissoned into the areas of industrial effectiveness, and a study for improving Brazilian schools was started

tech.jpg

Due to a lack of modernization in the Brazilian Army, a order was placed to attach artillary brigades to all Infantry divisons. Also, the existing cavalry divison was to be doubled in size, to increse its tactical usage

prod.jpg

During a high level meeting on the 2nd of January, the senior figures in the government decided on several key points of national strategy. The first was that Brazil needed a friendly goverment in Europe to assist it. Germany was chosen, as the two nations shared simmilar ideals and had much trading oppertunites.

doplo.jpg

The second point was that the Brazilian industry needed to be more focused on serving the needs of the nation, so a mobilization order was drafted. This raised some eyebrows, as no records of the meeting had been taken.

hoi3game2010-02-1323-41-48-65.jpg

Few knew it, but Brazil, and the whole continent would change massivly due to that meeting.

Last edited:
Ahh I once played a game with similar goals as Argentina. My goals of South American conquest were stymied when both Brazil and Peru made an alliance with one another. I was however able to conquer all states in South America besides those previously mentioned. ANYWAY Good luck with this.

Question: After you take the panama canal will you attempt to expand upward into central america--->mexico---->Southern USA. If so be warned, it is more difficult than it seems. If the USA had a superstack in washington, as it often does, it will be quite a headache to invade them.

Have fun. Played an Argentinaian game recently, however brazil seems a bit stronger in both manpower and leadership, which would makes things easier.

However, i managed to get into a war in september '38, (10 spies raising threat at 0.08 a day, 10 lowering neturality at 0.03 a day). Which was quite bad, as i was in the axis, which meant germany became at war with the usa and WW2 in europe never happened. Anyway, my point is: probably not a good idea to do any warmongering or join the axis till after WW2 proper starts, and getting your netarity down in time for that should be easy without cheating in my opinion.

Ahh I once played a game with similar goals as Argentina. My goals of South American conquest were stymied when both Brazil and Peru made an alliance with one another. I was however able to conquer all states in South America besides those previously mentioned. ANYWAY Good luck with this.

Question: After you take the panama canal will you attempt to expand upward into central america--->mexico---->Southern USA. If so be warned, it is more difficult than it seems. If the USA had a superstack in washington, as it often does, it will be quite a headache to invade them.

I attempted it once as Brazil, and it didnt end well. I guess my goals once the Panama Canal is green will be to build up a fairly modern airforce and army, then try to form a decent navy to try to hit the US.

As far as a invasion of the USA, I probably wont do it, as this isnt going to be a world conquest game, but as someone once said, 'No plan survives contact with the enemy' :wacko:

Have fun. Played an Argentinaian game recently, however brazil seems a bit stronger in both manpower and leadership, which would makes things easier.

However, i managed to get into a war in september '38, (10 spies raising threat at 0.08 a day, 10 lowering neturality at 0.03 a day). Which was quite bad, as i was in the axis, which meant germany became at war with the usa and WW2 in europe never happened. Anyway, my point is: probably not a good idea to do any warmongering or join the axis till after WW2 proper starts, and getting your netarity down in time for that should be easy without cheating in my opinion.

You make a very good point there. I will wait till Danzig kicks off, and if my spygames have been in vain, ill resort to noneutrality, and that should resolve any problems with WW2

I don't have a problem with the cheat for neutrality. Just imagine he started lowering it fro 1933 or so.

As ive said, ill try to avoid cheats, but if I cant DOW in 39, the ol' console getting opened up.

Thanks for the response so far, and ill get a update in today

Getúlio Vargas had reservations about the decisions his cabinet had made. He agreeded that Brazil needed new sources of resources, and needed them fast. However, was it worth spiling Brazilian blood over? He hoped so.

He looked over the reviews prepared for him concerning the nations affairs

vargas.jpg

The political situation in South America was dire. The USA was playing world policeman on the contient, and had bases well within striking distance of Brazilian shores, and had no reservations if Brazil began projecting her power.

The cabient had agreed on several points. The Head of Inteligence, Filinto Muller, was to start a spy campaign to make Brazil seem a vitictim of local agression and foreign colonialism.

spy.jpg

Recently, some dissenters had began printing illegaly, so they had been dealt with severly. As a result of swift action, the pubilc was blissfully unaware

printing.jpg

The Cheif Of Staff had sent him a report on the current state of regular army units. They had only outdated equipment and were in need of much re-equiping.

poorarms.jpg

The navy was in worse shape, the two main ships, the Sao Paulo and the Minas Gerais were old and immpossibly outdated. The Marinha do Brasil would be needing new ships shortly.

minasgeraismpl5220.jpg

In other worldly affairs, Italy ,Japan and Germany had joined to form the Axis, and Italy and Germany had sent support to the Nationalists fighting in the civil war in Spain

scw.jpg

A domestic report detailed plans for expanding Brazilian industry and the order for heavy artilliary brigades had been completed, and were being intergrated into army units.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance
Wait, Brazil has more leadership than Finland? I know nothing of the country, especially of the ww2 period. Just wondering

Im guilty of a little editing on my own part, as I felt 6 leadership was unfair to Brazil, with all those people. As for Brazil in WW2, they joined the Allies following German subs sinking Brazilian ships. They even sent troops to Italy in 44, and they were involved in the battle for Monte Cassino!

another interesting AAR. I am glad you choose a country from S. America.

so how do you plan on increasing your IC?

Im building 3 factories right now, and that leaves a little spare IC to throw into troops. For the moment, the navy's on the back foot, but not for long! South America is one of the few places in HoI3 that are quite neglected in terms of IC and leadership, but it makes for great campaigns!.

Im going to gloss over the pre-war details, giving only improtent information, so we get to the blood and guts part quickly!

The rest of 1936 was uneventfull for South America, but not the world. The Soviet Union attempted to assist Republican Spain to prevail in its civil war, but it only prolonged their defeat. A few months later, the Nationalists had control over the nation.

Hungary had joined that Axis faction, which was quickly becoming the big kid on the European block. Some in Brazil advocated a alliance with the Axis, due to the assistance they could give Brazil.

axis.jpg

Army High Command had evaluated that the threat of overland invasion was slight, and would have to cover massive distances, which could be easily dealt with. Army planners summerized that a naval invasion had the best chance of sucess, Armaments Minister Filho approved the construction of several port garrison divisions.

coastdefence.jpg

Several advances were made by research teams. The research into industrial techniques had bourn fruit, so research was ordered to continue. The small arms research had developed a rifle which was suitable modern for Brazil, so the research was transfered to creating a suitable support weapon for soldiers. The study into Brazilian schooling was completed, and had resulted ina notable growth of enlightened Brazilians, ready to serve the nation.

improvements.jpg

The significant resources poured into espionage had given a great return. Brazilian spys had convinced the world that its neighbours were inceasingly threatening, so there was no media outcry when the order for full mobilization was issued.

spypayoff.jpg

Overview for production at the end of 1936.

endofyearprod.jpg

1937. The year of preperation.

1937 started well for Brazil. Continued research into industry had increased effectiveness up to %7.5, which was a major improvment to arms manufacturing. The government also geared the economy up to a war footing, claiming to the public that it was a result of threating moves made by France deploying troops to its colony at Cayenne. In addition, a two year draft was impossed, and many fresh young men were inducted into the steadily moderizing Brazilian Army.

soldiersmarching.jpg

Brazilian Draftees marching in a Rio de Janeiro street.

The army had recived the bulk of Brazilian industrial investment, and could feild a full corps of troops with the most modern equipment availaible.

armyoverview.jpg

A overveiw of the Brazilian Army

All of Europe was picking sides during 1937. Ireland and New Zealand joined the Allies in early '37. Portugal joined the Axis shortly afterwards. There was a major diplomatic fight over accepting Austria into the Axis. Sources say that when Italy accepted Austria, Hitler flew into a fury, and threated Mussolini with war, but common sense prevailed.

In Asia, the Chinese and Japanese forces clashed near Beiping, resulting in a full blown war. A proper update is expected soon.

The last quater of the year was when two major breakthroughs happened. The Draft was increased by another year, compelling soldiers to serve for 3 years. Also, research into radio waves had led to a breakthrough in communications, allowing units to co-ordinate effectivly.

armytech.jpg

Technolgical overview of the arms tab.

The inteligence game was paying off for Brazil. Within three years, the Head Of Intelligence estimated that the public would be frightened enough to accept war as a nessisary step.

spys.jpg

The Brazilian tans and accents were proving popular amounst French women ;)

1938 was filled with big decisions.

Vargas called a emergemcy cabient meeting. When the last minister entered, he called the meeting to order.

"Gentlemen, you will remember that two years ago, we considered expanding the borders of this nation." A series of nods around the table

"Well, Minister Mullers spy campagins have been sucessfull. The world belives that Brazil is being threatened by expasionalist neighbours and is a victim of British and French Imperialism"

"Now, not much of this will be new to you, but there are nations in Europe which are willing to support us in this venture. Germany in particular. Forigen Minister Fernandes has been in talks with German representives, and they are putting pressure on us to join the Axis Alliance. We must decide what cource of action we must take."

The head of the army, Joao Do Fontoura, spoke up "Germany wil be able to ship us modern equipment, but as any expasion will draw the USA into a war with us, I doubt we will recive any real support in the forms of soldiers."

The debate went on long into the night.

50452719.jpg

The Cabinet leaving, late at night

Shortly afterwards, Brazil began to align itsself with Germany, and started trade relations with all the Axis members.

----------------------------------------------------------

As the decision to join the Axis had been made, the Army planners got to work. The only unit of the Brazilian Army fully staffed was the 1st Corps, so it would be deployed to the north. The first stage for taking the contient was to take the Imperialist land to the north, so plans were drawn.

battleplan.jpg

(excuse my bad arrows)

The yearly overview for 1938.

The first new addition to the Brazilian navy, a light crusier of WW1 vintage, but the admirals assured it would be put to good use and gave the shipyard workers needed experiance. Even so, any new ships would soon be needed to defend Brazilian waters.

300px-Brazilian_cruiser_Bahia_2.jpg

The Japanese had quickly became bogged down in China, though the war was far from reaching a conclusion. The IJN is reported to have total control over the seas, but China has been fighting for all she is worth.

Chinafightimg.jpg

The port garrisons had been deployed to the western coast, and had the partialy staffed 2nd corps on call for fast reaction in case of invasion. Although this was considered a unnessisary precaution due to no current war, the Brazilian public was sufficently worried to be glad of these measures.

deployments.jpg

As a final attactment, Vargas noted that his minister for armaments, Senhor Filho, had ordered the prodction of a tactical bomber wing, which would be greatly recived by the army.

Last edited:
War came to Europe in 1939. It came to Brazil two hours later.

All this was due to the USA joining the Allies. Brazilian leadership realized that fighting the entire Allied camp would be disaterous, so Brazil formaly joined the Axis alliance.

joinaxis.jpg

The diplomats in Europe had failed, Germany had went to war with Poland over Danzig. Shortly afterwards, the two factions were at war.

ww2start.jpg

German troops pouring over the border into Poland.

The 1st Corps advanced into the imperialist territores, finding no resisitance anywhere. The 2nd Corps was ordered north to help secure the ports.

xcecution.jpg

The plans made in the last few years worked without fault, undoubtly helped by a lack of enemy troops.

The High Command recived a massive shock when a garrison divison reported that American troops were attempting a landing. The divisional commander reported that his divison would cease to exist in a few hours, and requested reinforcements. There were none. The 2nd Corps had been deployed north, and the only troops availble were two Civil Guard milita divisions, which were disptached to stall the American advance.

USAlanding.jpg

US troops advancing ashore.

The High Command found a solution quickly. The 1st Corps was given orders to prepare its troops for embarkment, and to leave its positions around the northern ports. The 2nd Corps was to take over these postions. The navy arrived and the 1st Corps was quickly on its way south.

redeployment.jpg

The troops being shipped south to throw the yankees back to the sea.

Upon arrival, the 1st Corps commander saw a excellent opening for a sneak landing behind US lines, and ordered his troops into the landing craft. The Americans were taken totaly by surprise

landing.jpg

Brazilian troops wading ashore to defend thier homeland.

The Americans lost the port to the surpirse attack from the sea, and the invasion troops were dispersed. It took the 1st Corps a full week to completely destroy a full American Corps, and gained Brazil vital breathing space against the Allies.

--------------------------------------------------------

In Europe, German troops quickly broke through the Maginot Line, and with the Italiens, were sweeping through France. The Spanish had a much harder time, as their troops were of much poorer quality.

holeinline.jpg

fracetofall.jpg

Axis advances into France

The German Generals pulled a master stroke when they surrounded several Allied divisons in Dunkirk. Already badly beaten, this has decided the fate of France. It will fall.

dunkirk.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
To: Head Of State (Vargas)

The two destroyer fleets will be completed by Febuary, and the navy will be glad to recive them.

The garrison divisons will be commenced as soon as the production capibility is availble.

The Air Force is requesting another Tactical Bomber Wing, and after reading reports, I think this should be started after the completing of the Marine Divisions for the Navy.

The Marine Divisoons should be finished by July, so let us all hope the regular army can hold back the yankees untill then.

------------------------------------------------------------------

All I can say is that I am very impressed that I was invaded within a few days of the Dow. Sadly, noneutrality was used, for I didnt want to give boring updates until 1943.

Please feel free to comment on anything, all critisism is welcome, and im open to suggestions.

You should have titled this "The Green of the RainfAARest". :D

Interesting turn of events so far!

You know, I played arround with adding AAR into it, but it didnt seem right. How does the AARMY of the Rainforrest sound?

Actually, I was quite annoyed by how events turned out. Austria joined the Axis, so no Anchluss and no Munich Treaty. Even worse, for some reason Poland was puppeted, which hoplefully wont upset a Barbarossa.

Even so, Brazil cannot be spared interest in European affairs, with the might of the Allies being brought down on her!

Actually, I was quite annoyed by how events turned out. Austria joined the Axis, so no Anchluss and no Munich Treaty. Even worse, for some reason Poland was puppeted, which hoplefully wont upset a Barbarossa.

Even so, Brazil cannot be spared interest in European affairs, with the might of the Allies being brought down on her!

I'm afraid a puppeted Poland will prevent Barbarossa. There's still the supply issue with 1.3 I think and you might even see dozends of German divisions, probably even SS units, fighting under the Polish flag :eek::rofl:

In one of my games, Italy actually WON over Greece quite quickly, but puppeted them instead of annexing them. In another game, Japan puppeted the Chinese states (I had to cheat around a bit to get Japan making headway in China in the first place). That kind of really spoiled the game for me :/

I'm afraid a puppeted Poland will prevent Barbarossa. There's still the supply issue with 1.3 I think and you might even see dozends of German divisions, probably even SS units, fighting under the Polish flag :eek::rofl:

In one of my games, Italy actually WON over Greece quite quickly, but puppeted them instead of annexing them. In another game, Japan puppeted the Chinese states (I had to cheat around a bit to get Japan making headway in China in the first place). That kind of really spoiled the game for me :/

Its quite funny actually, Greece joined the axis following a little German persuation (added a little to the AAR, Hitler and Musi having a little dig at each other). Japan has actually made a respectable advance into China, but I dont think that victory for them is in sight.

So far, total crazyness, but, who knows what the future holds?

The year of 1939 ended quietly for Brazil. The start of 1940 saw the first new marine divisions. They were deployed near Rio de Janerio until th entire compliment of the new Marine Landing Corps was ready for deployment.

The first new destroyer flottilas had been commisioned and sent to the main naval fleet in Rio harbour. They would be needed shortly.

Major Juan Clemão survayed the scene in front of him. The American forces were attempting a landing with no ambhipous equipment and no heavy offshore naval fire. As landing craft dropped their front doors, squads of Brazilian soldiers with their modern machine guns and rifles slaughtered the infantrymen. In his concrete command bunker Clemão was safe from the fire of the only warships present, a few destroyers with light guns. He turned to his radioman, a electrican from Sao Paulo, "Get me Corps HQ, we may have some use for the navy after all!"

USlanding.jpg

71378-004-B924150E.jpg

Several US divisions attemting to land ashore, without proper equipment or naval support. Photo was taken by a advenetous Brazilian soldier.

In the Brazilan Naval Ministry, Grand Admrial Guilhea gave the first battle orders to the Marhina do Brasil. They would precede north to Gerogetown with all posible speed, and engage the Aermican invasion force.

navyattack.jpg

The navy heading north to meet with destiny

The local air assests near Georgetown had made several air stikes on Ameriacn ships in the area, and had radioed information on ship dispositions to the fleet before its arrival.

On the 21st of Febuary, at 9pm, the Brazilan fleet met the first modern navy it had yet encountered.

battleisjoined.jpg

The battleship Sao Paulo single handidly wiped out a entire destroyer fleet, and damaged several transprt fleets.

In a few short hours, the american ships were nothing but floating wreaks, and the brazilian fleet had lost the NRB Bahia, sunk by the Sao Paulo after it had been abandoned.

result.jpg

The US fleet shrank into the darkness, and reformed with two submarine fleets from Puerto Rico. The new destroyer flottila had its worth in gold, and the entire remains of the fleet was destroyed.

2ndvictroy.jpg

Inteligence intercepts and interigations from captured soldeirs suggested that the best part of two full american corps were aboard those ship, which is a great boost to Brazil. Their was rejoicing in the streets, as in less than 6 months, the armed forces of Brazil had destoryed 3 full american corps, and had bought even more time to prepare for their offensive

sweeney_103m.jpg

Crowds gathering in the street to celebrate the victory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview for the start of 1940.

todaytech.jpg

Advances have been made into various fields of research, especialy radio and mechanical computing machines.

china.jpg

Japanese forces have been making huge advances into China, the communists have colaspsed and surrendered to Japan, and diplomatic channels suggest that the Nationalist are close to surrender.

spain.jpg

The Iberian peninsular has been the main focus of British attacks, with the combined Spanish and Portugese forces attempting to hold back the British troops. Apparantly, Hitler has been to busy deploying troops along his Polish puppets border with the USSR.

diplo.jpg

Diploamtic Overview for 1940. Uruguay is selected accidentaly, honest!

March – August 1940

Following the destruction of their initial invasion fleet, the US send a much larger fleet, even including a few capital ships. The attempts at landing were put short by bombing raids from the Brazilian Air Force.

amnotherinvasion.jpg

All was quiet for a month or so, when another America invasion force appeared, without the escort of the capital ships. Again, the Marhina do Brasil eliminated another American corps

crushed.jpg

The Uruguayan people had expressed their wishes to join the Brazilian people in their crusade to unite the land of Simon Bolivar, but their leadership would not allow it. They were swiftly removed..

ivasionofurur.jpg

The Brazilian Marine Landing Corps saw its first action and proved its use when it landed behind Uruguayan lines of defence and seized the capital.

landings.jpg

Following the removal of Uruguayan leadership, the 1st Corp was ordered to the border of Argentina, where they were to take on border guard duties. The new focus was on the north.

allover.jpg

Dissenters in the area were swiftly dealt with.

rebels.jpg

The Invasion of Argentina

Following the liberation of Uruguay, the Argentinean government complained bitterly about this action. The Brazilian army put the 1st Corps on high alert. When Argentina mobilized it troops, strong messages were sent to Buenos Aries. When the Argentinean Fleet put to sea and took up stations off the Brazilian coast, war was declared. Incidentally, both nations declared war at nearly the same time, but it did not matter, the stage was set for Brazil’s biggest struggle yet.
airattacks.jpg

dogfights.jpg

The Brazilian Air Force opened with war, bombing airfields, ground positions and attacking Buenos Aries harbor. Brazilian interceptors achieved total air supremacy over the area quickly

crossingtheborder.jpg

breakthrough.jpg

The 1st Corp was to conduct a limited offensive in the north, to secure Buenos Aries and then await further order from Rio. The Brazilian troops encountered little resistance, but as the advance progressed, resistance increased.

The Marine Landing Corps showed its worth again, when landing behind Argentinean lines, and seizing the provisional government headquarters

surrender.jpg

Following this, the Argentine government fled to Britain, and a collaboration government was installed to oversee its entrance into the Unified States of South America.

venu.jpg

overran-1.jpg

Due to the aggressiveness of Brazil, the Venezuelan government joined the Allies, much to the delight of the 2nd Corps commander, who had been waiting for the order to cross the border and liberate the nation. The US was not in a helping mood. Indeed, many in Rio commented on the fact that the US had turned it attention on the Japanese, leaving Brazil to its own ends.

The Axis powers were dominant in Europe. Czechoslovakia had aligned with the Allies early in the year, and had been promptly crushed by Germany, and a puppet regime installed

britan.jpg

The Allies were losing all fronts. On the Iberian peninsular, combined Portuguese and Spanish troops had stalled the British advance, and were building up for a counteroffensive on the weaken forces

japan.jpg

Japan was a tiger running across the land of Asia, British Burma and India were being overrun, and with forces tied up elsewhere, the future was not bright for Britain in Asia.

italy.jpg

Nor were things bright in Africa of Britain. With Italian forces having near total control over Egypt, and had taken the Suez Canal.

There was still much fighting to be done, but all the peices had falled into place, for Vargas, and his dream of a Unitied Contient