• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Monnikje

Secret Agent
99 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
www.gfoto.nl
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
A Paradox fan thoughts on Lead and Gold

Last week I've been to the Paradox Interactive Convention 2010, being the lucky winner. During my stay in Stockholm, I reported back on not only my whereabouts, but also on the games I saw. I thus did a review on Lead and Gold, from my perspective. Because not everyone would find their way to my AAR, I was asked to post it also here.​

07lead.jpg

The first Paradox third-person shooter 'Lead and Gold' was Thursday 21st of January presented.

I want to present you today 'Lead and Gold', a third-person western shooter for both console and pc. It's absolutely different from both Paradox' normal games as well as the other third-party titles: it will be Paradox first shooter. And the Wild West? Who came up with that? Even though it looked good at the presentation, I still had my doubts. But at the Q&A I had actually the chance to play the game, and I must say I love it.

07zones.jpg

Lead and Gold is a third person western shooter. All is at pretty close range, so it's pretty personal to shoot someone.

The Wild West setting is pretty refreshing. I must say they captured the feeling of the time of the Gold Rush pretty good. The maps breath the right atmosphere, and the music reminds me of Ennio Morricone's soundtrack of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. And also very important: it's all close-range. Even though there are sniper rifles, they aren't as effective as those modern ones in for example Counterstrike. You have to look your opponent in the eyes, you really feel he's there. The fighting is thus more personal, more up close. This certainly helps that gunfight feeling I have when watching a Western movie.

07gold.jpg

The game is very detailed.

Another novelty of the game is the fact that there are no fixed spawn places. The leader of the group carries a large stick, which indicates the spawn place. So if you die, you'll get back to the party immediately. There is a good reason to stick together: each of the four possible character types gives a synergy bonus to teammembers sticking together. So you shouldn't spread out and flank the enemy, but aproach them as a team. Also, when you die, you won't be actually dead instantly. You can still do a last shot, and can still be recovered by a team member.

I played the game for a short while against bots, in a goldcapturing mode: It's like capturing the flag, but then with sacks of gold that you have to drop in order to shoot someone. It was great to immediately have logical controls: I moved intuitional right. The only 'downside' I saw was that it was only possible to play with up to ten persons, while at my yearly LAN-party we're with thirteen. But for the rest: bring it on.

Once again thanks for the updates. This looks different, don't see this kind of a shooter much. Will be looking forward to getting this.:D