• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was wondering along lines similar to gabor's. Perhaps an early version of the Borg commander? (I know, I know -that makes NO sense in this historical timeframe! But I just mean some sort of collective mind-thingy going on....) She's definitely one smart, ruthless, astute and will-not-be-denied cookie, obviously!

Sie will es und so ist es fein.

@Enewald: Because simple isn't fun :D
@gabor: Yep, I actually chose Espionage as my Fourth NI as Austria, mixing up my tried and true method of 'always go for Bureaucracy First'
@Zauberfloete: It hasn't even started yet. After all, this is just introducing the Antagonist.
@Marco Oliverio: Collective Mind-Thingy eh? Well, there is one of those, but you might be a bit off on who it is...

~~*~~

Narratives

The People of the Renaissance
Emperor Leopold 'The Slain'
September 12th, 1498; End of the Savoyard Succession War​

"You want me to what?" He looked shocked, not the feigned shock he so often used, he was visibly shocked. It was almost enjoyable.
"I want you to kill the Duke of Savoy. It shouldn't be too hard, the duchy is consumed in a Succession War as we speak."

"Well, yes, but this is a bit, much, to deal with one little girl, don't you think?"
"Not at all. You have told me she has influence over him, his spies are moving with her coin and have dealings with her handmaidens. He must be eliminated. Besides, I have Ulrich contacting the rival claimant and ensuring he will side with us."

He sat down in his chair, having stood when I first gave my command, he did so slowly, cautiously. "Why, why are you treating her such?"
"How do you mean?"
"She's a little girl, she hasn't even seen her second Decade yet, she owns lo land, she isn't the wife of some great power, she is a relative non-entity and you are treating her like she is the King of France and rampantly invading the Empire."

I waited until he was finished and settled before speaking. "I would have thought you would have no trouble striking against the Valois."
"I'm not being asked to strike against the Valois, I'm being asked to strike against a third party on your insistence that this thrid party cannot be brought into our orbit."
"You underestimate the control she has over him."
"No, I simply have seen no evidence of this supposed control. She communicates with him, this is true, however she communicates with many rulers. Why is he different?"

"He is different, because unlike the other rulers she communicates with, he is, at present, vulnerable." My awareness seemed heightened, the entire room still as we talked. He waited some time before speaking, his eyes slowly narrowing until almost closed.

"This, this has nothing to do with her influence in Savoy. This is a warning, isn't it?"
"Only mostly. This is also cutting at her influence, although it is primarily a warning, yes."

"What aren't you telling me?" I didn't respond, and the silence deepenned.
"What aren't you telling me?" he repeated after a few minutes, more insistent.

"Nothing you need know."
"Like Hell it isn't. You know how many informants I have lost trying to infiltrate her network. Do you know I actually found one of them? In Danzig, driven mad, begging on street corners. What aren't you telling me?"

This pause was longer, however he could obviously tell that I would not be moved by further yelling. "Nothing you need know. Remain distant from her and her handmaidens. She must be contained outside of that circle."

"That won't work forever. Her spynet has doubled in size since I began investigating it. Being unable to strike at it directly limits my possible actions so greatly that it is becoming difficult to keep up with this."

"This is only a temporary solution. I am working on a more direct attack route. Depending on her reaction to the loss of the Duke, I will have a new timetable."
"What are you planning?"
Another pause, as I took a deep breath before speaking. "Friedrich is the reason we must dance around her, so long as he remains ensnared, we cannot risk harm to her, as it would devestate him."

"You're trying to free him from her?"
"They are leaving the passions of a young marriage, as their relationship naturally cools, I will be able to more fully remove him from her grip. Depending on the results of this assassination, she may further surround herself with her brother's influence, drawing her away from Schaffhausen to his lands in the Netherlands, that will give me more time to see Friedrich."

"What if she tries to seal herself in Schaffhausen, or realizes your goal and tries to turn him against you?"
"Then I will simply act the part of the good brother. Her accusations against me will earn his ire as she will be incapable of substantiating them without revealing her shady dealings, and should she reveal those, Friedrich will dislike her from that. He has always preferred Chivalry to the more, underhanded, means of modern Politics."

"Are you so Sure?" One eyebrow raised at the end of his question, a look of honest curiosity.
"Yes, absolutely. Even my father sees this in him."

~~*~~

Last edited:
The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a

@Enewald: The Strong Handle their business on the Battlefield, the Sneaky handle their business behind closed doors, and the wise handle their business Everywhere.
@Zauberfloete: Spying literally won the Great Crusade for me. A Government Infiltration mission at the start of the war ended the war, because my original strategy was going to be primarily defensive. After infiltrating their government and seing that their ONLY army was in Croatia, and everything else was in Anatolia, I threw every army I had at them there, and ended up destroying the entire army giving me the decisive battle that won the war.

~~*~~

Narratives

September 27th, 1498; Contingencies​

"Are you certain?" She asked, with that same genuine curiosity that was starting to become annoying.
"I am certain, entirely."

"Why haven't you told father?" She squinted at me, and I sighed deeply before I answered.
"Because father is too convinced that Friedrich and Maria are a perfect couple, given his current health, I don't want to dissapoint him."

"Are you sure he isn't right?" Cacilie had always doubted my judgement when It came to personal dealings with others. It no longer really bothered me, as I had dealt with it almost my entire life. "And are you sure Maria's grip on Friedrich is so strong."

"On the first, yes, entirely, as to the Second, I'm Not, actually. And I'm planning to speak with Friedrich later this week and try to guage how badly he is controlled. That is why I wished to speak to you."
"Do you wish me to speak to him?"
"Not at all, I wish you to stay as far from him as possible. At least right now."

She raised an eyebrow. "Right now?"
"I want to prepare you, as best as I can, for the possibility that you might need to do this in my stead. By talking with Friedrich, and certain other actions, I will soon prompt a reaction from Maria, and I need you and others to be prepared in case she lashes out at me."

"What 'certain other actions' are you referring to?" She asked after yet another slight pause. She was picking her course through this conversation carefully.
"I recently orderred the assassination of the Duke of Savoy." I said immediately. Cacilie was the only person I could always be completely honest with. She was only four years older than Friedrich, and was technically younger than I, however she had always played the part of the older sister.
And I must admit, the look of shock on her face brought me some satisfaction.

"You, resorted to assassination? Why? How has this situation gotten so out of your control that you would resort to killing another ruler who was not striking against you?"
"I only recently became aware of her intentions, and have thus had little time to move against her. Her network is deep and strong, and her ties over those she holds influence over are very strong."
"She's Sixteen! How could she have become so entrenched that you would require an Assassin to push her from a state she has no real connection to?"

There was no way this question could receive a prompt answer. There were far too many variables to weigh, and as much as I had expected the conversation to eventually turn to this path, once it did, all of my planned responses fled like the light of the setting sun. I needed something to stall her.

"You would think me Mad if I told you."
"I already think you are Mad. You've never lost control of a situation so fully before. What is it?"

She had always been perceptive, and this method of stalling would obviously not work. With a Sigh, I resigned myself to this, if I pushed her away by this statement, it would just keep her from harm in this mess.
"I suspect her of witchcraft." I said, slowly, hesitantly, and watched with a bit of pain as her eyes grew still wider. This was not merely suprise, this was shock, disbelief. With this one statement, more so than any other statement concerning this, I had so vastly played against my type, for a minute I wouldn't have been suprised if she thought I was myself some sort of imposter. She stuttered slightly before speaking.
"You cannot be serious. You have never believed stories of witchcraft."

There was yet another, very long pause before I responded. And when I did, my voice was hardly more than a whisper.
"All Things Change."

~~*~~

Its a shame Cacilie isn't going to have more a role, she's a fun character...
Oh well, back to Freddy and his problems.

P.S. Next Update (Hopefully on Wednesday) should have a couple of maps in it of my current MMU game, because I'm going into Cartography Withdrawal. I'm also planning out a large and fairly comprehensive tutorial on how I make maps which I will put in the base AAR forum. So for anyone interested in how I make my maps, be sure to check that.
Hmmmm... Maybe I'll use the maps of my MMU game for this tutorial and just post them there. I'll probably do that.

Now where did I put my stake and torch? Nice update, if a little surprising. I wonder how Friedrich will take this?

He that would keep a secret must keep it secret that he hath a secret to keep

@Enewald: SniffSniff...
@dinofs: Is that Smoke?
@Zauberfloete: Expect the Tutorial some time Tomorrow or Friday at the Latest.
@gabor: Are you sure you've pegged the right girl as the Witch?
We should probably test this, does anyone have a Duck?

~~*~~

Narratives

October 4th, 1498; The Turning of the World​

Yet another game of Chess I would win. I hardly even payed attention to it, and in all honesty, I doubt Friedrich did either. His knights had been active and annoying, however both had fallen, and now he had but a rook, a bishop, and his queen, in addition to a small number of pawns. My Queen and Rooks were pressing hard against his forces, the game would be mine quickly.

"I hope everything has been quiet in your lands." I stated, more of a question really, but there was no reason to tell him that.
"Hardly. The Civil War in Savoy almost threatenned to spill over into the Confederation. As much as I hate to admit it, the death of the reigning Duke and the end of hostilities was very refreshing."

"Well, even if war had spilled over into The Confederation, that wouldn't really have involved you would it?"
"You underestimate how fully I have been pulled into the inner workings of this ramshackle alliance of cities." He rubbed his face as he said it. "I have been the effective Duke of Switzerland for a while now. Another conquest for the Dynasty." He smiled as he said this last point.

"How have you achieved such control of this confederation? Not even the dedicated efforts of past Emperors has pacified the Swiss, and if it is as troubling as you suggest I doubt you would have pursued such a thing."

"I didn't. I said I was effectively the Duke, and I still suspect they merely humour my advice in order to prevent a more concentrated centralization effort on the part of our father. A Nominal Duke is better than an Independence one must fight to defend." He moved his queen to defend against mine. However he was Merely Delaying the Innevitable.

"Well, at least the end of the civil war should bring peace to this region."
"For now at least. There is never a true end to war, and now that the King of France is of age, it is only a matter of time before the Empire is dragged into a war with him."
"He just turned sixteen three months ago, he will require time to solidify his control over the country and undo the damage done by Charles."

I drank deeply from the glass beside me before I moved my next piece. I asked the important question as my Rook touched down. "What does Maria think of the situation with France?"

"She is actually returning to Antwerpen temporarily to assist her brother in maintaining control of his Dutch Territories. She left rather suddenly a few days ago."

If I could have, I would have cheered.
"A Shame, though it must be nice having some time alone."
"Not really. Things are terribly dull here without her."
If I could have, I would have cried.

This would be more difficult that I had hoped.

"Besides, when I'm alone, too many things are on my mind to find peace." He added, a slight sigh of sadness in his voice.
"Such as?" I was genuinely curious, Friedrich rarely showed concern for anything. He sighed deeply before he spoke.

"Father." I stopped my hand in mid motion, it having been moving towards my queen for a killing strike.
"Why is that?"
"You haven't noticed? Of course not, it was never your genre." He sighed once more. "Father's depression is deepening. Him continuing to place more responsibility on you is just one of the many symptoms of that. He has taken longer and longer to respond to my letters, and all correspondence from him has slowed, even concerning the affairs of state."

"I. I hadn't noticed. How long has this gone on?"
"I noticed it some time last summer, and have been trying to keep regular contact with him, personal contact. I travel to Wien for a week every three months. I, I'm considering relocating there permanently."

I paused before speaking, this could be the perfect opportunity. "What of Schaffhausen and the Confederation?"

"Maria will take control of it while I am away, should she be away as well, we have arranged for a council of regents who will remain in regular contact with us. Don't worry, we can trust the regents, they were hand picked by me and Maria."

"Then I think we should both relocate to Wien, I will claim remaining duties in the administration, and you can keep tabs on Father and ensure he recovers. I think he will enjoy seeing you." I smiled, truly this time. "He always liked you best."

"Hardly, after all, you will be Emperor, I remain just a random backwater Count."
"That's why I know he likes you best."
"What?" He looked genuinely confused for a few moments before I answered.
"Nothing, I'll tell you when you're older."
He Grunted, a slight smirk on his face. "You're becoming too much like Father."

I Smiled. "We all have to play the part."
"Of course."

~~*~~

hey i've been reading this and i would like to ask if you could finish the OE because you only have 2 posts left and the story is pretty cool

We could draw cool Lines on the Planet, but at what Cost?

@Enewald: The Goal is the Means
@wolfcity: Thanks! And no. The next OE post has a bit of a reveal in it, and it cannot be shown until this thing with Leo is done.
To help however, as I am also starting to get tired of someone as boring as Leo*, I've cut the number of posts down to like 16, from like, 54.

Hmm, it appears the forum is inaccessible to me between Midnight and 12:30. Good to know.
~~*~~

Narratives

July 19th, 1499; The Emperor without a Crown​

"This is setting a dangerous Precedent. Within a few generations, receiving the Imperial Throne will be considered a demotion." He struggled out a laugh as he said it, and what should have been a reassuring sound merely deepened my concern for him. His eye was almost invisible in the low light of the candles, deep into its socket.
He looked like he hadn't eaten anything in a long time.

It had been a mistake to suggest Friedrich come here, she had followed him.

"What prompted your, 'abdication'?" I asked. This was the first time we had gotten a chance to talk since his rather sudden abdication. He sighed before he spoke.

"I am, tired, my son, I have worn this role for many years, and I am no longer the Emperor I was." He coughed out another small laugh. "I didn't catch your little war in Naples until it had already spiraled almost out of control."
"I apologize for that my father."
"Do not concern yourself with it. I'm actually quite happy that you are now concerning yourself with subterfuge. It will be a critical aspect of your new life."
"I am still not particularly good at it."
"Still don't like the taste of secrets?"

I shook my head when I responded. "No, not at all."
He laughed slightly. "We all have to wear our masks Leopold, when I began, I disliked subterfuge as much as you."

"How did you come to accept it?" There was no humour in my voice, only honest curiosity.
"Necessity. Besides, my Chivalric Tendencies died when I was very young."
"How? Why?"

He stared at me for many minutes before he spoke, and I said nothing, having no intention of pressing this matter if he didn't wish to discuss it.
"I was forced to see how, terrible, this world really is. The world is an ugly place Leopold, and I am sorry that I must push you into this hell, however of my children, you are most suited for this."

"What makes you think so? I couldn't keep pace with the war in Naples."
"You were working with limited finances. And even if you cannot, you need to learn."

"I'm Sorry father."
"Do not worry. Your little French Friend, Louis, correct? He shows definite skill, with the Imperial Treasury behind him, he'll be able to keep things calm." Louis would not be pleased to know that he had failed to escape my Father's notice.

"What do you intend to do now that you are no longer responsible for the Imperial Affairs?"
"I'll keep an eye on things for a little while, beyond that, I'm not sure. I'll find some way to entertain myself."

"Will you maintain your residence in Wien?"
"At first, beyond that, I'm considering retiring to the south of Tirol, possibly to Trent. Do not worry my son, I will not throw you into this role and abandon you. I am not yet so far gone."

~~*~~

July 26th, 1499; A Knife in the Dark​

"Congratulations on your new responsibilities." Friedrich said lightly, the slightest of smirks on his face, as he correctly read my weariness. For now, the sight of the stars was amazingly comforting. I was still dealing with the aftermath of the disastrous campaign in Naples, and trying desperately to reassure the King of Aragon that the Empire and Austria remained his ally.
My unofficial ascension to the Austrian Throne had been less than well received. Although the Electoral College supported me for the throne, and my election had all but been ensured upon my father's eventual death.

"I thank you for your support, Dear Brother." My smile was weak, but true.
"I will always be here for you."
"Likewise."

The night air was pleasant, with the slightest breeze brushing across my face. So far, the night had progressed without incident, and for that I was extremely thankful, hopefully my presence here had dissuaded them from the plan Louis had uncovered. We had been talking for some time now.
"Though I have to warn you Friedrich, being involved in the politics of Austria and Empire will open you to potential attacks."
"I fear not the schemes of those pitiful princes of the World who must rely on such things. If they want to strike against me, I suggest they challenge me personally." There was a vicious grin on his face as he said this, fully knowing why none would do so.
"Friedrich, you are nearly seven feet tall and over Two Hundred Pounds, no one is going to challenge you directly."
"Then I don't need to worry about anyone striking against me. I need not fear any cowards who cannot challenge their problems directly." He said it with an obvious sense of distaste. It almost hurt to hear him say this, though I detected no malice directed against myself.

"No matter what your opinions are Friedrich, please be careful."
"I am always careful." His smile had disappeared, he was once again merely the stoic Prince Friedrich.

"It always seemed to me as though you simply relied on your strength to see you through."
"That is how I am careful, I have carefully prepared my strength for any challenge."

"How do you know that is so?"
"I don't, however should I ever find a challenge I cannot overcome, then I am obviously not worthy of continuing this existence."

Why did he have to be like this?
"What if there is something your strength cannot combat?"
"There is no such thing. Power is Power, and thus any power one possesses can counter other powers, even if those powers draw from different sources."

"What if one, through the use of multiple sources of power, surpasses your acquisition of a single power?"
"Then my attempt was flawed, and thus my life will have been of use, even if it is only to warn others of what not to do."

"But your life will have ended." He had to accept that point.
"That is of little consequence."

"Do you honestly not care about your life?"
"Of course I care about my life. However I will not be here to mourn its passing, so that should not be feared."

The next moments were almost a blur. I had been completely at ease with our conversation, and had not noticed the shadows moving. By the time I recovered, the deed had already been done, as I saw the knife sink into Friedrich's chest. The blade slipped cleanly into his right side, just slightly forward, and barely beneath the ribs. It was well executed, I thought, despite myself.

As I reached towards this would be assassin, ready to yell for the guards stationed outside and warned of this, only pure hatred in my mind, I was stopped by an image I will never forget. Without hesitation, and without the slightest display of pain on his face, Friedrich reached his right hand out, and sealed it around the assassin's forearm. He said only one thing through the entire incident;

"Pathetic."​

The Assassin's eyes widened at this, realizing that he could not press the knife further into Friedrich, he reached for another in his belt, however before he could, his arm stopped in pain, as I heard the distinct sound of cracking bone from his imprisoned forearm. Before he could scream in pain, Friedrich's left hand reached out, closing around the man's neck while his right arm pulled the man's arm from his socket with an equally audible popping sound. All the while, Friedrich held the knife in his own flesh.

This image, I would never forget, of my kind baby brother, holding this man off the floor, strangling him, effortlessly, no expression on his face besides mild disinterest, the only sounds in the room the breaking of bones, and the man's struggling, gurgling, pathetic death.

~~*~~

The incident had passed by, the guards had claimed the man's body, confirming what I could have no doubt of, and removing him from the room. I now sat, uncomfortably, beside my brother, his wound had been treated, he displayed only superficial damage, and was expected to make a full recovery in a matter of days. His expression remained stoic.
This injury would bring his wife here.
I couldn't tell him it had been her plan just yet. There was only one thing he could tell me that I honestly wanted to know.

"If the passing of your life is not to be feared, then why do you defend against it?"
"Because this life is, enjoyable."

There was no hesitation in anything he had said, no more than there had been hesitation in his movements. The lines were not rehearsed, they were not forced, they were purely honest. He had always hated lies, far more than I had. He had been, affected, by the encounter with the cloaked man in the Garden when he met Maria.

And once again, everything returned to her.

~~*~~

*He's only boring compared to Al, but that's because everyone is. Poor Guy.

For some reason I've been avoiding to read the narrative part. Until now that is. Reading five updates one after the other makes it even more awesome, I have to say. Can't wait for more, you really have created some fascinating characters.

The stars died so that you could be here today.

@Enewald: Did I forget to mention Freddy is like Eight feet tall and built like a Californian Governator wishes he was built like?
@Tweetybird: Glad to have you join us, and thanks!

Last Narrative for a while, I'm missing the History, and it turns out the spoiler I thought was in the next history update isn't.
And besides, this is just such a pleasant place to leave Leo at isn't it ;)?

~~*~~

Narratives

September 28th, 1499; The Dark Cloud of Wien​

Nothing had gone according to plan. Even Louis could not tell how she was doing it, but there was no doubt in my mind it was her.

Today would mark the fifth day of my father's seclusion from the court, having barricaded himself in this small room and refusing to see anyone, even myself. The room itself was, thankfully, a small room, away from the bustle of the court, giving him some peace. He had accepted what food we had brought, until today.

This was the room he and his first wife had stayed in when visiting his father. He had never come to this room before this incident.

I had, by this point, been staring, watchfully, patiently, at this blasted door for several hours. Friedrich had visited me regularly, however most of the time he was away at the court, fulfilling my duties with Louis and Ulrich to advise him. There had been no trouble, and the courtiers had been oddly quiet. Although no official news had been released, it was obvious that everyone in the city, and likely everyone beyond, already knew of this.

Were this to continue, we would quickly find ourselves the laughing stocks of Europe, but that was a minor complaint, any lost prestige could be easily earned back. There was no threat to the succession, and the only external threat building itself upon the horizon was France, as it had always been. Had I not already been confirmed both as King of the Romans and acting Archduke, they might have interfered. There had been rumblings already, instantly upon my election, however those had stalled with the quick renewal of the Austrian-Burgundian Alliance which had kept all of the European Powers wary.

There would be no real political damage from this incident.

This was solely a family matter, and it was perhaps that which made it so terrible.

"Still Nothing?" How could someone of his size move so quietly? I thought with a visible start as I jerked my attention to his frame.
"No, it is the same as always. Any important matters of state?"

"Hardly, just more petty squabling and murmuring of this, situation."
"They will want news soon." I replied.
"Let them want." And there was his Laconic tendency playing through, the contempt on his voice was almost tangible.

"I agree. This is only a family matter."
He smiled. "When do you plan to break down the door?"

"Tonight, I promise I will tell you before I do, after all, it will probably be your shoulder that will do the breaking."
"I hope so." He struggled out a small laugh. He had always been close to father, closer than any of us.

I couldn't let this go on.
"Friedrich, I, I need to talk to you about something, someone, and you might not like what you hear."
He raised an eyebrow before speaking. "What do you mean? Does it concern this?"

I paused slightly, however hesitation was pointless now, the door of this conversation had already been openned."
"Friedrich, I, I think you should send Maria away."

His eyes narrowed at her name. "Why?"
"Because I have reason to suspect she is behind Father's Depression."

His brow furrowed. "What? That's impossible. How would she do such a thing?"
"I don't know how she does it, but I have seen her do, things, which you would not believe."
"Of course I wouldn't believe, it's ridiculous. Listen to yourself! Are you accusing my wife of Witchcraft?!" His voice had gradually grown louder through his statements.

I didn't pause, there could be no stopping now. "Yes, Yes I am."
"That's absurd." He said as he turned from me, he paced a bit before stopping and turning towards me, his expression once more stoic. When he spoke, he was quite calm, and his voice was almost a whisper.

"She said you would do this."

"She said I would do what?" This was very bad, but not unexpected.
"Try to turn me against her."

"Why would I try to pull the two of you apart unless I thought there was something wrong with her?"

He stood straight, towerring over me even more than normal. "Jealousy."
"Why should I be jealous of her?" The conversation was going as expected.

"Not of her, of us." And then it wasn't.
"What do you mean, 'of us' Exactly?"

"Just what I said. You are Jealous of our relationship. We love each other, and that's something you've never had."
"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play naive Leopold. You know what I'm talking about. Your own marriage is cool at best, distant most often. You cannot connect with others, you have never been able to. I found love, true love, the type most scholars say is only fictional. And it is something you will never have."

"I, no, you don't understand Friedrich. She doesn't love you, she's just using you."
"No she isn't, she loves me as much as I her, you just don't understand it." I don't think I could ever truly describe his face. I have only seen such a hatred filled visage once before, long ago.

"I understand what she has herself all but told me! She just wants power."
He was pacing again. This time, when he turned, he did so not calmly, but quickly hurriedly.
"NO!" The force of his voice was almost painfully loud. "She loves me, and I her. I'm sorry if your patheticly introverted atni-social mind cannot comprehend that, or if you're just too afraid to think something could happen outside of one of your precious little plans, but We love Each Other!"

I couldn't respond to this. Everything had gone wrong, and the conversation had fallen too far out of my control, and there was no way I could recover. No response could be given, he wouldn't listen, even I knew that.

I had failed.

"I will send Maria away, and I will leave with her." He said, once more calm, the hatred seething off of his voice, and as he turned to leave, he said the last full sentance he would say only to me until the war with France three years later.

"Goodbye, dear Brother."

And then he left, walking away from me, and as he passed through the door to the stair nearby, she returned, floating in the air he had passed through. It had been the first time I had seen her such in several weeks, and whereas earlier she would have simply sat, making no sound at all, now she did not remain quiet.

Now, she laughed.

~~*~~

For almost an hour, I simply sat on the chair I had previously sat on, not looking at the door any more, but looking only at the ground. No people had passed, no guards had enterred this area of the fortress, having been stationed well outside of it. There had been no sounds, there had been no change in anything. I had been entirely alone with only my thoughts as companions, and even they stayed as far from me as possible.

For many moments, I thought myself dead, as the world proceeded without me.

Then the door openned.
My father stepped out of his room, sullen, emaciated, as he had been when last I saw him, however there was a distinct change in his demeanor.
He looked almost happy.

There was a shine in his eyes as he looked at me.
"Hello my son, how long have you been here?"

So he had heard nothing? Of course, she would have kept him closed from our dispute, the last point when he could have helped me. All I had done was push Friedrich from both of us, and this was all she had wanted. Father had never been her target.
"Several Hours." I responded, the only sounds in my voice beyond the bare minimum to express the words were total exhaustion. I'm fairly certain he heard this, as his expression instantly became one of regret.

"I, I'm sorry my son. I'm not sure what came over me, but it seems to have passed. I, I feel genuinely good, better than I have for a long time." He smiled deeply, truthfully. "I think this bit of isolation was good for me. Come, I see my dinner is still here, let us eat together." And I enterred, not saying a word.

He ate his dinner in silence, while I still remained in shock.
"So what has hapenned?" He asked abruptly. I didn't even start, I simply spoke. There was no further point in dishonesty, especially not with him.

"Friedrich and I are, broken, our relationship will never recover."
"Nonsense, siblings have fallings out, you will recover."
"Not from this."

"Well." He said after a slight pause. "What did you do?"
"I tried to separate him from his wife."

He didn't respond for a while, he just sat there, staring at me. His slight grin was gone, and he looked at me with only curiosity.
"Why?"
"Because she is just trying to use him to gain power."

He started slightly at that.
"Why do you suggest such a thing?"
"It is how she behaves."
"Leo, you have never been good at reading others, it's your only failing really. Perhaps you're just getting the wrong impression."

"She has all but told me this, stating that I am the one standing between her and her prize."
"She told you this? Well she obviously cannot be too good at this."
"No, after all, I couldn't draw Friedrich from her, and if anything just pushed him closer to her, ensuring that if he becomes Emperor she will have total control of him. He didn't believe me, and now never will."

"Well of course not. Even if you are correct about her, he loves her. How long have you been trying to undermine their relationship?"
"Several months. I hadn't wanted to bring this up today."

"Then why did you? You have never embarked on anything before you were ready."
"Because I had to, she was killing you."

He started again. I didn't like shocking him so much after his ordeal, however there could be no lies now.
"That's absurd. I had a fit of depression. No one poisoned me or talked to me, I brought it on myself."
"You underestimate her, she can, do things, to people's minds. I don't know how."

He Laughed. "Again, Absurd. Witchcraft? This world has its own demons to be sure but witchcraft is not..."
He stopped suddenly, his hand shaking slightly. His face turned towards me, a look of almost terror on his face.

"What, Did you see, in her eyes?" His voice was almost a whisper, perfectly calm, but barely audible. My response, likewise, was barely audible, as if spies sat everywhere around us.
"I, I saw her eyes burn." I looked straight towards him, taking newfound interest in whatever lay behind the cloth covering his left eye. "What do you know of this?"

His expression changed, albeit only slightly, sinking from curiosity to what I thought was rage. "Too much to tell, and more than I would like." He stood from the table. "You need no longer concern yourself with this my son. I will deal with it."
"Father, I cannot simply set this aside."
"You can and you will. You have already done your part in bringing this to my attention. The situation is now outside of your expertise."

"I want to assist you in this."
"And so you shall." He said, moving slowly towards the mirror on the wall. "You will maintain your role as Regent. Let none know of my recovery, it will let me move more easily. Tell your little friend Louis I will be contacting him soon."

"What do you intend to do?"
"I intend to travel. I have someone I must 'meet'. You will remain here and carry on."

I wanted to fight him, however I never got the chance. Before I could, he dropped the glass he was drinking yelled out a profound 'No', and fled into the room adjoining this one. I never got to ask him advice, and never got to see his smile again.

By the time the guards had battered down the door, he was already dead, a look of suprising calm on his face, as he lay on the bed a single knife through his heart, his own hands wrapped around its handle.

On the desk, was a sealed letter adressed to me. It said only a few lines, in a hurried font. The seal was just wax, without a signet impression.
Ferdinand's Letter said:
My Son, I'm sorry I must leave you. However I cannot let the bastard win, and my continued survival would be a victory for him, as it would end his suffering. In this Desk are my notes on my, and likely Maria's, Affliction.
I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to cure this. You cannot help her, and if her personality is what you say, there is only one way you can save us all.

Maria must be killed.​
~~*~~

On Friday, Hopefully, I'm bringin' Mappy Back.
Oh, and Suleiman, I'm bringing him back to, maybe Ibrahim will come with him.

Whew! 200th Post in the Thread!