• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is that Sintra in the painting, first post? Stunning place, I've been there.

EDIT: Why comment on the painting when it's an AAR? :p

Very nice AAR, I hope that you get a base in the Mediterranean in your war with Aragon. ;)

Last edited:
Nice work in Africa - but why'd you back Castile over Aragon?

@Herr Doctor: Thanks!

@King_Richard_XI: I don't know, I searched google for something Portuguese and it turned up with this nice painting:D

Thanks, but Aragon isn't my target, it would only give Castille another Casus Belli if they get a core on it. I rather prevent that as long as possible;)

@merrick: Because I felt little for being crushed by Castille. My army was still quite small at that point and I didn't want to risk a too early war with them. I know it would eventually come, but I rather have a colonial empire funding me then only a couple of poor North-African provinces next to the main land:)

And something very interesting will happen, but I'll need those screens here first:p

Chapter 3: João II, the European Wars, 1416-1436

Source 1: Diary of Alvino de Santa Maria. As already mentioned, Alvino was aware very well of what happened at the top of the Kingdom of Portugal and apart from his written reports, which are stored in the Royal Archives these days, he kept a diary as well. Already a shade of the Humanist philosophy is in is writings, a first glance at the 15th century.

27 Janeiro, 1425

Today a messenger brought about the message that most of the inhabitants in the province of Cueta converted to the Christian faith. It is a joyful moment for both them and us, as they will receive the Heavenly blessing by their turn to the true faith, while for the Portuguese nation it means less revolts. Some years before we already discovered the island of Madeira as result of a brilliant idea from the Austrian advisor Keir Maitland, a new addition to the royal advisors. Now he suggested to explore a bit further into the ocean, convinced there should be more islands there. I am not sure what he wishes to reach with this, but so far he has been right. His goal was to reach the Indies and get to precious spices, chinaware and silk without having to deal with the Ottoman, Venetian and Genoan traders, who are now dominating this trade. Our king isn’t that interested though, but as we have enough money to explore, he gave Maitland permission. But then again, most of the government is handled by the advisors of His Majesty. King João II is more interested in less pious and worthy things like tournaments, women and good food. But as long as the court keeps the nation running, I think this will not affect Portugal at all.

Source 2: Excerpt from a diary of an unknown Englishmen, probably a high ranking advisor of the English king. Yet this source is valuable because it reflects the mentality of the English elite to the situation that arose after 1429.

Augustus 10, 1429

His Royal Highness has died, leaving no living heirs but his eldest daughter from his third wife, who has been married to the king of our loyal ally Portugal, and his niece, married to the duke of Brabant. Although an understandable step it was to marry his daughter and niece, these decisions has created a highly undesirable situation. The King willed that his throne would pass to his eldest daughter, whom he loved, but the Duke of Brabant claimed that, according to the family line, his wife should inherit the crown of England. God has taken the outcome of this war out of our own hands and placed our faith in the hands of Brabant and Portugal. Personally, I hope that our alliance with Portugal will ensure that Mary (wife to king João II) will win this war, as Portugal has shown their loyalty and their eager for peace on the European continent, while not being as hungry for land like other European nations, such as Castile and France. We will have to wait for the outcome of this war, which will mainly depends on what the allies of Brabant will do. Mainly, if Burgundy will join the battle, there will be serious problems, as I do not expect our armies to have many trouble with Brunswick or Cleves. The Portuguese nation is not very different from ours, a naval focused country with more interest for trade then for war. And because of it’s firm alliance with the Castilian nation, it is relatively safe. On the other hand there is Brabant, focused on their army and expanding their territory instead of their trade revenues. I hope this war will be over soon enough, as our future is depending on it.

The outcome of this war was decided in 1431: Brabant would pay war damages and king João II became the legitimate ruler over both Portugal and England, forming a powerful Personal Union.

Source 3: Letter from the Castilian king to king João II, send at 15 March 1436 as reaction on the next succession war João II would fight, this time over the throne of Aragon. Again, another nation claimed the throne, this time it was Brittany, a small, decimated nation at this time, only made up by the province of Vendée.

Dear nephew*,

Today the news of your inheritance of the Aragonese throne reached our court. We want to congratulate you with this inheritance and hope you will get it in it’s full size**. In the meantime we also heard about the false claims of the Breton count on your inherited throne. And blinded by greed as he seems to be, he even went to war over it. We want to let you know that we will support your war efforts against them with all our forces, although we think that you will be able to beat them even without our support. Nonetheless we felt it appropriate to stand by your side as a good ally should do.

Kindest regards,
Juan, King of Castillia, Granada and Leon.

*Juan was the son of Alícia, sister to the previous king João I
**This seems like an attempt to ease the mind of João II of Portugal, as the region around Barcelona still belonged to Aragon, along with the Baleares and Malta. As Castile already took most territory from Aragon, it was not unthinkable that João II would worry about the expansionist policy of their Castilian neighbour

-Images will follow later