• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dont completely whipe out japan, we need our anime!

#*$& anime! We've opened the door for Godzilla!!!!

godzilla.jpg

Well Japan's now in a substantially worse position now than even OTL Japan was post-nuking, particularly with American forces actually on the Home Islands and about to launch further invasions. I'd hope this would give the Japanese leadership pause for thought but they're probably going to fight to the last man anyway.

As long as they don't forget the idea of walking metal humanoids the size of office buildings, I'm fine with it.

Well Japan's now in a substantially worse position now than even OTL Japan was post-nuking, particularly with American forces actually on the Home Islands and about to launch further invasions. I'd hope this would give the Japanese leadership pause for thought but they're probably going to fight to the last man anyway.
Historically Imperial Japan's military leadership was never really grounded in reality. OTL they fought against Britain, the Commonwealth forces, China, and the US and still thought they could win. Even when the Allies had wiped the IJN out and had the home island ready for invasion they still thought they could win. Right up to the aftermath of the second atomic bombing, even then they still thought somehow victory could be possible even if it would be small. It finally took the utter and complete destruction of their army in Manchuria by the Soviets to jolt them and even then there were still some who wanted to fight to the last person and it took the Emperor personally ordering the surrender to get them to stop.

Now with literally nothing but Japan itself still under their control, one of it's cities wiped off the face of the earth, and with one of the Home islands under the control of a invader along with literally the rest of the world against them maybe this will finally be the jolt that shakes the Japanese back into reality.

They did not think they could win after the Allies were poised to invade the Home Islands. They were planning on making the Americans pay so high a price for the Home Islands that they would be forced to the negotiating table.It was only the fact that Hirohito guaranteed that he would personally ensure the Japanese surrender that the American Military decided to take him seriously as prior to that they did not seriously believe the Japanese would surrender because the final surrender was the only time Japanese forces had ever surrendered in the entire course of the war.

I remember when I was stationed in Okinawa meeting a little old lady who had been a girl in Japan at the time. She told me she remembered being taught to run up to American troops carrying a grenade to blow them up. Her father and uncles were being trained on how to sneak up and rush said troops with spears. She said she was told by the military that American troops would enslave all Japanese and do unspeakable things to them so the only option was a fight to the death.

I also remember her ending to that.

"But we did surrender and you weren't monsters, so it all worked out okay in the end."

If atomic bombings don't force this Japan to surrender (and it was close run thing in our timeline, there was an attempted coup to stop the surrender), then it should be messy.

re Japanese surrender: Although I agree that by now Japan would have surrendered to the Allied Forces, this is still HOI2 arma. Therefore, to defeat Japan completely I will have to occupy every last one of their vp's before they surrender. That will mean the complete occupation of the home islands, and therefore Japan fighting until the very bitter end.

@everybody: thanks for the comments! I am glad to see that Japan's last stand seems to be living up to expectations.;)

In the aftermath of the nuclear attack on Osaka, US forces begin their landing operations aimed at securing the ruins of the city and gaining a beach head on Honshu island. US troops, equipped with special NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) protective uniforms, face only scattered resistance by pockets of devastated Japanese defenders. Enemy forces flee into the countryside, completely unable to organize an effective defense.
brokendefenders.png

The ruins of Osaka, and the countryside up to the northern Japanese coast fall under US control. Honshu, the location of Japan's heaviest homeland defenses, is now cut in two.
japancutin2.png

The United States Airforce begins launching numerous combat sorties over Japan, as hundreds of thousands of Japanese troops and militia begin to pour south towards the US landing zone. Although many Japanese ground units are battered by American fighter jets, many aircraft are shot down by Japanese AAA and anti-aircraft machine guns.
bombingjapaneseforces.png

US forces begin to break out of the beach head, marching on the heavily defended city of Nagoya from both land and sea. An advantage in numbers and fire support from the navy prove to be enough to force the entrenched Japanese soldiers and militia out of the area, with Nagoya falling under US control.
battleofnagoya.png

A similar combination of land and sea offensives is used to clear out the city of Hiroshima in western Honshu. 150,000 Japanese soldiers and militia, with nowhere to retreat too, fight until the last man before Hiroshima is secured.
battleofhiroshima.png

US soldiers, attacking from the sea and from Honshu, now invade the Japanese island of Shikoku, defended by 120,000 heavily entrenched Japanese troops. With the attack having to be made entirely over water, including ground forces invading from the Osaka area via landing craft, Us forces face great difficulty in crushing the heavily entrenched defenders. After about 3 days of heavy fighting however, the enemy forces are finally convinced to surrender, and Shikoku is secured by US troops.
battleofshikoku.png

Meanwhile, in mainland Asia, the Chinese cultist state of Shangqing Tianguo is annihilated by the Russian army, with its leaders committing mass suicide before they could be captured by Russian forces.
stcrushed.png

Us troops now begin to clear out the mountainous and heavily defended eastern half of Honshu island, first starting in the area of Kanazawa. Despite having a massive numerical advantage, the Japanese are able to use the mountainous terrain to funnel US troops into designated kill zones, using massive artillery strikes to cause devastating casualties on US mechanized forces.
battleofkanazawa.png

After several bloody, grinding days of inconclusive combat, US forces call of the attack. Casualties among US forces are severe, with some divisions reporting upwards of 15% of their personnel being killed or wounded in action.
bloodbath.png

American commanders decide to launch the invasion of southern Kyushu island after the failure in Kanazawa. With Japanese troops having been shifted to the north in response to the US conquest of Hiroshima, the southern landing beaches are only lightly guarded. However, it still takes a long time for US troops to overcome the enemy defenses and secure control over the southern half of the island.
invasionofkyushu.png

Japanese resistance is still very fierce! :eek:

Indeed, but doomed to failure.
What a bloody tragedy...:(

@Cohacq: I am still formulating the plot over how the next war will come about, but I am pretty confident it will not be over China.

@everyone else: thanks for the comments!

US forces launch another massive offensive to break through Japanese defenses at Kanazawa, unlike the last attempt, US forces are able to overcome Japanese in-depth defenses and force their retreat, a major victory in the home islands campaign.
kanazawabreakthrough.png

230,000 Japanese soldiers and militia make their final stand in the northern half of Kyushu island, as US troops led by General Wainright clear out all remaining resistance. After about 3 days of bitter fighting, Japanese forces on the island surrender.
battleoffukuoka.png

Tokyo. The capital of the Japanese empire now comes under siege by General Stillwell's sixth army and hundreds of thousands of other US troops. Defending the capital are 250,000 of Japan's best remaining soldiers, which fight US troops ferociously for every street and building in the city. Undaunted, US soldiers drive deep into the Japanese capital, facing fierce resistance at every turn.
siegeoftokyo.png

Finally, US forces enter the Imperial palace and the Japanese Diet buildings, as well as securing the rest of the city. Tokyo is now under complete American control, with whats left of the city's defenders fleeing to the north. However, US forces are unable to find the Japanese emperor, or any members of the Japanese ruling military government. Until their leaders are captured, Japanese forces will continue to resist American forces.
falloftokyo.png

The US army and Marines now begin the painful process of clearing out Japanese holdouts that are hiding in the mountains of northern and eastern Honshu. Many US soldiers are killed or wounded as Japanese holdouts are cleared out of their remaining stronholds, such as here, at Niigata.
battleofniigata.png

Undaunted, the offensive continues, closing in on the remaining enemy forces that are positioned in northern Honshu.
lastholdouts.png

The remnants of the Imperial Japanese armed forces make their final stand at Akita against US forces. By now, many Japanese soldiers have lost their will to continue fighting, simply wanting an end to the war, while their extremist leaders wish to continue the fight through Guerrilla warfare. However, they do not get the chance, as US forces clear out Akita and force the surrender of all of the area's remaining defenders.
japansfinalstand.png

As US forces secure the countryside, they make a very important discovery. The Japanese Emperor, Hirohito, is found in a secluded underground bunker north of Tokyo. US forces discover that the Emperor had been secretly shuttled out of the capital just prior to the US invasion of Hokkaido, forced to let the die-hard military government rule in his name and force the country to continue fighting until the bitter end. The Japanese emperor agrees to sign the unconditional surrender of Japan to the United States and its Allies, finally ending the Pacific war on June 2nd, 1951.
victoryinjapandayjune2n.png

At long last, the war is finally over. After over six years of brutal land, air, and sea combat, the United States has emerged victorious.
battlejapansurrender14.jpg

Peace has finally returned to the Pacific Rim and Eastern Asia, at the cost of many millions of lives. Now, the United States and its allies begin the work of rebuilding Asia from the devastation of the pacific war, hoping to give the people of the region a brighter future.

(I can't believe it took that bloody long to defeat the Japanese and their allies. The war against Japan lasted longer than the war against the Syndies! Then again, I never expected Japan to utterly wipe out the US navy at one point, or hold the lines in Southeast Asia against allied forces there until I was able to invade Vietnam. Oh well, I am glad they at least didn't just fall over on all fronts, makes for a more interesting AAR this way.)

Bravo! As you said, it was much more interesting watching you win after taking such a beating at first from the IJN. A well-crafted update, as ever. I can't wait to see how the war against Ze Germans will start...

Now the war's over all you have to do is repair the damage the damn thing caused. I'd hate to see the state Japan in particular is in by this point, and they're almost certainly going to be treated with much less leniency than in OTL.

Occupy Japan for a few years then maybe release it.
Create the Republic of China, the Southeast Asian nations.
Have to prepare for the Cold War with Mitteleuropa!!!

Congratulations ! :cool:
What an Epic Struggle, Six long years of Sacrifice and Suffering...

Release Japan and then release the puppet. We don't want this to be too easy, do we now? It's already obviously clear you will defeat the Germans with relative ease, and it will be easy to explain story-wise.