• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome!

[*]Time for some registry tweaks. Start your WINE registry via
Code:
$ env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-hoi3 wine regedit
and navigate to
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D
If the Direct3D key does not exist, please create it (right click on "Wine" -> New -> Key). Inside that registry key we want to create the following string values (right click in empty space on the right -> New -> String Value)
Code:
VideoMemorySize
OffscreenRenderingMode = "fbo"
Note that we didn't assign a value to the VideoMemorySize string yet. You have to enter the amount of your video card's memory which is normally something like "256" or "512". Please do so by double clicking the item and writing down the number in the dialog box.

[*]Move upwards one level in the registry, so that we are back to "Wine". We need to navigate to a key called "DirectSound". If it's not there, create it. Move into that key, just as we did before and create a new string value called
Code:
MaxShadowSize = "0"
(Yes, it's still a string value!)

Hi

Since my previous post i have tried a reinstall but can't even get as far as i did last time

I am not used to playing with the registry and want to check i am doing this right.

Am i right in thinking that the only one of the keys that has anything in the 'data' field is the VideoMemorySize.

Whereas the other ones like:
MaxShadowSize = "0"
all appears in the Name column?

thanks

doc

Hi

Since my previous post i have tried a reinstall but can't even get as far as i did last time

I am not used to playing with the registry and want to check i am doing this right.

Am i right in thinking that the only one of the keys that has anything in the 'data' field is the VideoMemorySize.

MaxShadowSize = "0"

thanks

doc

MaxShadowSize in name column

0 in data column

MaxShadowSize = "0"
doc

No no, the 'data' field is "0" (without the "") as Gaute65 said. Let me chance the HowTo, to make it more clear. Also the data part of OffscreenRenderingMode is "fbo".

EDIT: The HowTo is changed. Do you think it's more clear now? Let me know if you can run HOI3 after setting um the registry correct...

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the continued support.

Well, i have got back to the situation (roughly) i was originally at (after a complete re-install). The game now starts to load (i hear the music as well) but when the load screen gets to "Map properly initialized" it crashes with the following message in the terminal.

Before that however - back to the registry query i had - i have tried again with the amended instructions (thanks) and my registry now looks like this:

Under Wine/Direct3D
NAME TYPE DATA
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
OffscreenRenderingMode REG_SZ fbo
VideoMemorySize REG_SZ 896

Under Wine/DirectSound
NAME TYPE DATA
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
MaxShadowSize REG_SZ 0

If its any help the video card is a nVidia GTX 260OC 896 and i hvae the 180.44 drivers loaded.

==================================================
doctoxic@quad-64:~$ cd $HOME/.wine-hoi3/drive_c/Program\ Files/Paradox\ Interactive/Hearts\ of\ Iron\ III/
doctoxic@quad-64:~/.wine-hoi3/drive_c/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$ env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-hoi3 wine hoi3game.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e130,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e1c4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_CreateIconFromANI Loading all frames for .ani cursors not implemented.
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x143910,0x143f80): stub
err:eek:le:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80040111
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {da4e3da0-d07d-11d0-bd50-00a0c911ce86} could be created for context 0x1
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject class {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} not registered
err:eek:le:CoGetClassObject no class object {2721ae20-7e70-11d0-a5d6-28db04c10000} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:dsound:DSPROPERTY_Description1 (pPropData=0x32e398,cbPropData=40,pcbReturned=0x32e3c0) GUID_NULL not implemented!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e898,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1e3ae8) Unhandled query type 4
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1e3ae8) Unhandled query type 5
wine: Unhandled exception 0xc000000d at address 0x7bc40023:0x00a3fb9e (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Process of pid=0008 has terminated
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Modules:'
Cannot get info on module while no process is loaded
No process loaded, cannot execute 'echo Threads:'
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000e
0000001c 0
00000014 0
00000010 0
0000000f 0
00000018 0
00000017 0
00000013 0
00000012 0
0000001e 0
0000001d 0
0000001b 0
0000001a 0
0000001f
00000020 0
You must be attached to a process to run this command.
No process loaded, cannot execute 'detach'
doctoxic@quad-64:~/.wine-hoi3/drive_c/Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$
=============================================

Thanks

Doc

Try Playonlinux. i think it's easier to use than wine

thanks Gaute65
but i have got this far, want to try and resolve it in wine

by the way - do you mean that Playonlinux already knows what to install to get Hoi3 to work or do you still need all the info that Irrlicht provided anyway?

doc

Thanks for the How-to. Great work.

After a bit of tweaking, got HOi3 to play without problems :) Had some problems with sound for a bit, but think it was related to having some problems with sound generally, so after fixing some issues there it worked without problems.

Ok, had to reinstall ubuntu because of lack of space, therefore i also had some problems with sound :)

Also making a copy of the dir for modding works, using the same env prefix, but starting the exe from the copied dir(have to do this in a terminal though, or make a script/launcher).

Also tested downloading Dlc-sprites, had no problem there (but havent checked ingame).

thanks Gaute65
but i have got this far, want to try and resolve it in wine

by the way - do you mean that Playonlinux already knows what to install to get Hoi3 to work or do you still need all the info that Irrlicht provided anyway?

doc

You need to do the same thing as in wine, playonlinux is an graphical frontend for wine, so it's no terminal.

Hello, I followed your guide but it doesn't work.
This is the output:
Code:
@kubuntu:~/.wine-hoi3/drive_c/Programme/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron III$ env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-hoi3 wine hoi3game.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e130,0x00000000), stub!                                                                   
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e1c4,0x00000000), stub!                                                                   
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x13e260,0x13e1a8): stub                                                               
fixme:msacm:acmFormatEnumW Unsupported fdwEnum values 00100000                                                                        
fixme:dsound:DSPROPERTY_Description1 (pPropData=0x32e394,cbPropData=40,pcbReturned=0x32e3bc) GUID_NULL not implemented!               
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e898,0x00000000), stub!                                                                   
fixme:mpeg3:decode_header Layer 1 not supported!                                                                                      
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 105 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 39 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 38 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 36 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 32 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 Blocktype == 0 and window-switching == 1 not allowed.                                                 
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (384) too large!                                                                           
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (397) too large!                                                                           
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 82 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 9 bits!                                                              
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 110 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:decode_header Layer 2 not supported!                                                                                      
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 207 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 18 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 304 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 108 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 14 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 28 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 79 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 55 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 10 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 77 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 48 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 148 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 44 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (360) too large!                                                                           
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 5 bits!                                                              
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 144 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 84 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 137 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 81 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 126 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 231 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 956 bits!                                                            
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x1e9330) Unhandled query type 4                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_2 big_values(437) too large!                                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (447) too large!                                                                           
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 233 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 140 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 124 bits!                                                            
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 47 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 12 bits!                                                             
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 108 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 95 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 6 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (396) too large!
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (412) too large!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 4999 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 274 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_2 big_values(507) too large!
Segmentation fault

Any ideas, anyone?
Thank you!

I don't understand why I never receive any notification by mail, even though I subscribed to the thread and enabled instant mail notification. :(

Beside PixelShader support, what kind of video card do you have and what amount did you put into VideoMemorySize? Does it match your video card's memory?

Hello, I followed your guide but it doesn't work.
This is the output:

fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 105 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 39 bits!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 38 bits!

Any ideas, anyone?
Thank you!

I think maybe what i have left in the quote is the problem and it leads to a segmentation fault. Had the same thing going on and the game would crash under loading. This is a sound problem. All i did to fix it was to go into hoi3 folder and change settings.txt before starting the game. Set the master volume to 0 (no sound) then try loading the game again. My game then loaded fine. I also turned on sound ingame again, but i dont remeber if this before or after i installed some codec's and stuff on ubuntu(see below)

It seems the way i fixed this was to installed Amarok and some other things to suppport sound (mp3 etc), as i was on a fresh ubuntu install. But tbh i am not sure why this helped....well except for the stated reason, i needed some music programs and codec's and that might have helped. Hope this helps :)

And what version of Wine are you using ?

Last edited:
Anyone any thoughts on my post #24 above?

thanks

doc

@doctoxic: Depending on your hardware "OffscreenRenderingMode" may be set to something different. For example, i use "Fbo" but experienced crash with one of the other renderers on my Radeon HD4770. By the way, i found your memory ammount quite unusual : VideoMemorySize = 896.

The debug info is rather not understandable by humans with those memory adresses. You may have to give a try with a wine binary compiled with debug symbols.

@doctoxic: Depending on your hardware "OffscreenRenderingMode" may be set to something different. For example, i use "Fbo" but experienced crash with one of the other renderers on my Radeon HD4770. By the way, i found your memory amount quite unusual : VideoMemorySize = 896.

The debug info is rather not understandable by humans with those memory adresses. You may have to give a try with a wine binary compiled with debug symbols.

thanks Guibod

what options are there other than Fbo (or is it "fbo") - i am aware of backbuffer and pbuffer - and will give them another try

doc

@doctoxic: Depending on your hardware "OffscreenRenderingMode" may be set to something different. For example, i use "Fbo" but experienced crash with one of the other renderers on my Radeon HD4770. By the way, i found your memory ammount quite unusual : VideoMemorySize = 896.

hmmm video memory is 896 for my card (nvidia GTX260) however it got me thinking and i tried an install on another PC (with same linux setup) with an old nVidia 7900GTO with 512mb and lo and behold - it worked!!

i'm wondering if wine doesn't like 896mb graphics cards - anyone else got it working with this type of card?

thanks

hmmm video memory is 896 for my card (nvidia GTX260) however it got me thinking and i tried an install on another PC (with same linux setup) with an old nVidia 7900GTO with 512mb and lo and behold - it worked!!

i'm wondering if wine doesn't like 896mb graphics cards - anyone else got it working with this type of card?

thanks

Try and set the value to 512 for your gtx260.

Yeap give a try with 512. 896*is damn too strange. On the other hand video memory store usually textures, and most of he time 512*is enough. Hoi3*may use less than 256…

OffscreenRenderingMode variants are indeed : fbo, pbuffer and backbuffer. There is no case problem involved in wine registry, afaik.

It is maybe related to nvidia drivers on quite new hardware.