• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What is your opinion?

• I like any type of DLC

Votes: 386 25,2%
  • I just want expansions, like In Nomine and Revolutions.

Votes: 1.038 67,8%
  • I don't want any type of download content

Votes: 106 6,9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will quote my earlier post on the sprite pack:

Let me explain myself a bit further. It is not that I see this as a bad idea but in view of the earlier Bethesda 'debacle' it might be as it draws some non-excisting parallels.

I don't mind about it though as I don't use sprites.

And, I have to say, I actually encourage the inclusion of downloadable content as a marketing tool but instead of sprites I would suggest some additional scenario's/campaign starts. I wouldn't mind paying E 1,99 for a May 1940 campaign start two months after release for example. Or for that matter an alternative may '45 scenario. Perhaps even a 'battle scenario pack'.
But paying from some extra eye-candy in a war game........it does bring up memories of Bethesda and EA (Empire Total war additional units).

And thanks a lot Johan (and Fredrick) for asking our opinion on this.

Stuff like Revolutions, DV, Armageddon or In Nomine please. Especially given that I'll be deleting the music and the sprites so buying that sort of thing would basically be burning money for me.

I'd be happy to see extra sprites in an expansion module - and even pay for them when included in the packs as part of the price - but little bits of downloadable extras seems to be a bad idea.

Well, Sprites I'm not too interested they don't exactly make the gameplay experience any better for me. Music on the other hand if there is a good Quality/Quantity for the price then yeah sure I may have that if it's worth it.

As someone else mentioned Different campaign starts, there is something else I would likely buy if that surfaces.

However if all of the above were to be included in an expansion pack I would directly buy that. Personally I'm not a fan of DLC and I have never personally bought one apart from the Download only expansions as I just feel shipping content for a game later doesn't feel right in a DLC form.

I have no problem with purchasing additional content. I actually like the idea that I can decide what is worth spending money on (expansion packs tend to be high up on the list and more sprites tend to be low).

But it is a very slippery slope, as people fear that game companies will restrict modding, or hold back on features in order to sell later.

I prefer expansions, but in between them it could be nice with some extra missions like Singelton says. Like the RTS companies do, they release a new map at times.
Some of the scenarios could be free for registered players, other more adanced ones could be downloaded for a small cost.

As long as its free :D

Naw, just kidding... but if the expansions are as sweet as in nomine I'd love expansions.. but if you people decide that the Music for Argentina needs to be changed to a sort of Tango... then I'd have no objection... or if you add some custom sprites, images... stuff like that

Anyways, anything you guys make will be devoured by the big mob outside your office probably

Cheers;
Nick

Would have been nice if there was a "I like DLC and expansions" option, but eh.

I'd say i like both things. But if i have to choose, i'll choose expansions over DLC, because while DLC is a nice thing to add in smaller experiences or make smaller additions, at the same time, you can't really say no to all the content a proper expansion can offer, and the whole, expanding on the game bit :p

So i'ld like to see both things, with DLC offering smaller and more optional bits, stuff like adding in sprites, music and smaller experiences, perhaps some random events stuff, i dunno.. While the expansions move in to really move things.

I mean Fallout 3 with it's DLC is great, but at the same time, i also miss an expansion to really add something to the game.

So.. Both please :D

Would have been nice if there was a "I like DLC and expansions" option, but eh.

I'd say i like both things. But if i have to choose, i'll choose expansions over DLC, because while DLC is a nice thing to add in smaller experiences or make smaller additions, at the same time, you can't really say no to all the content a proper expansion can offer, and the whole, expanding on the game bit :p

So i'ld like to see both things, with DLC offering smaller and more optional bits, stuff like adding in sprites, music and smaller experiences, perhaps some random events stuff, i dunno.. While the expansions move in to really move things.

I mean Fallout 3 with it's DLC is great, but at the same time, i also miss an expansion to really add something to the game.

So.. Both please :D

But Fallout's DLC are the expansions. If you don't believe a "true expansion" can be downloadable, I believe Bethesda intends to release them in hardcopy too. But every single one of Paradox's expansions, except for Doomsday, were DLC!

I don't have a problem with additional DLC for a fee as long as that fee is cheap. C'mon I'm not exactly rolling in cash, especially in this economy, but $2.00? That's nothing.

I'm already paying less for the game itself than I had expected to pay or I am willing to pay for that matter. Plus I'm already planning to willingly spend more for the expansions when they come out.

Also let's not forget the enormous "entertainment" value of games made by Paradox. I played HOI 2 for hundreds of hours. Still playing it too.

I will definitely pay more to support such a fantastic company.

I think it would be clearer if you rephrased the questions as to
"I'd buy" rather "I like".

Some people for some reason dislike small DLC - I don't care as long as I'm not forced to download it. I'd most likely buy an expansion though.

Repost from other thread:

My two cents:
If Paradox is going to adopt a pay for PRC (Post Release Content) scheme, my recommendation is that they mix up pay PRC with free PRC. From my experiences doing such a thing is important for preventing a "nickel and dime" perspective, and since some stuff is still available without cost, fans still get the perspective that the game is being supported for everyone, not just those that are interested in paying for additional content. And really, a problem with Day One pay content is that it becomes much more transparent that this content was developed with the rest of the game, so why shouldn't it be included with the rest of the game?

Even if we're just looking at sprites (though I imagine you can do so much more with PRC than just sprites if you wanted to. Various battle scenarios like Mosby suggested is a great idea).

For Day One PRC though, my recommendation would have been to offer up some sprites as free content. This gets people excited about additional content updates. Don't release all of them, but periodic small updates of a few sprites here or there. But then you can do a bit more focused and/or larger updates that have more sprites.

For example:

Day One content update available for free could be something like Tank Sprites for the Soviet Union and Germany. My impression is that these two countries get played the most, so right away it hits a large amount of your fanbase playing the game. Don't release all of them, but give them say a couple of the popular main battle tanks that people would really like to see. Then follow it up with a larger, small cost release that unlocks the rest of the tanks, in addition to more flavour for each side with respect to more tank sprites, more plane sprites, and more naval sprites.

Though I think timing is important. If this larger update came a bit after the release of the game, it'd give the impression that Paradox is continuing to support the title after release, and it makes accepting the cost a lot easier to swallow because the perception is that there continued to be an investment of man hours (which are expensive) after the release of the title.

Just my thoughts though.

I vote for expansions.

Since i am not able to hold you responsible for Bugs in the game, i dont know why i should pay for additional eye candy.

I just voted no and then it occured to me that DLC could include scenarios or other DESIGN content rather than just visuals (like sprites). I'd happily have DLC that added these things but not just visuals. With that in mind count me a +1 for DLC now. (maybe add what DLC could be into the poll?)

Status
Not open for further replies.