• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Of course you are in no way shape or form required to use this system. You can assign AI objectives from corps upwards. So you could say in 1941 assign a theatre HQ to look after France for you while you focus on the eastern front. Then in 1942 give the AI control of Army group North and Centre while you focus in on the southern part of the front. It is entirely up to you how much or how little you use this feature.

Does this mean the ai can fight the war all over allone and i can just sit back and look how the war is going on?

Fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in action.

I can totally see myself putting my troops on the Soviet border on AI while I deal with the west. But I don't think I'll be too confident to have the AI plan their own attacks. I've never heard of an intelligent AI.

Last edited:
SUPER DD here! It really seems like HOI3 will be a seriously steped-up experience over the previous installments.

I would throw out one little wish, however. Echoing an earlier poster, I would love to see the corps HQs somehow have an indication of the type of units contained therein.

Does this mean the ai can fight the war all over allone and i can just sit back and look how the war is going on?
Yes. Just assign everything to the AI. Or you can keep control of production and play as Albert Speer in 1943 and onward. Or almost any other configuration.

Well you may want to give your commanders abit of direction by assigning them objectives and stances. However yes you can play Stalin in Moscow directing around his generals.

Wow. This is amazing!

Questions though:

1. Is this very CPU intensive? As in will the AI simply use all the CPU resources available and then stop thinking if it runs out of cycles?

2. Does the AI it take advantage of multi-core or even GPU?

Very awesome, if you put AI control to full at top level, you would basically be running a hands off game?
What I'm trying to find out is if it also makes political actions. If it would stay at fighting forces level only, does a controlled theatre AI also assign airwings and ships for support? In other words, I want the AI to do a German Seeloewe, I set that theatre, probably western europe theatre, to full AI control and assign London to it? The AI will then first clear the airways, then focus on enemy ship concentrations, while getting transports ready and paratroopers. And then actually moving to a date to start the operation once it imagines the outcome is favorable? Does it keep into account weather, changing political climats on other theatre's, theatre's that the human itself might be controlling. Will the AI ask of me that it needs more transports if I have some I need to use myself, will it start to build them as I read, which I wonder how that coincides with the attack date...?

Ok.
1. I have AI controled Theater but wanna use a Corps/Army from its chain. Then I can give it back to the Theater and it will be assigned auto where needed?
2. If you have defensive stance in f.e. France - will they also act offensively? Or will they just defend what they control and not try to take back provs that where taken?
3. Is it enough to set one goal or few like Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad and the AI will make the whole front or will they just try to take those provs specified? So will I have to point also Vorhonez, Novogrod, Tula, Rostov etc till the most important points are selected or will it auto fill the gaps and create continuous front?

Can I manual control one corps inside an ai-army or ai-army group?
As example, i have an ai-armygroup of two armies and another 6 corps...am i now allowed to control one of the 6 corps manual while the other 5 are ai-controlled?
Or am i forced to separate this corps from the army or even the armygroup and lose the benefits of the higher generals?

Can I manual control one corps inside an ai-army or ai-army group?
As example, i have an ai-armygroup of two armies and another 6 corps...am i now allowed to control one of the 5 corps manual while the others are ai-controlled?
Or am i forced to separate this corps from the army or even the armygroup and lose the benefits of the higher generals?

No

Will the skill and/or traits of the generals affect the way the AI behaves?

For example, will a general with the defensive attribute be more defensive?

My expectations on this game are just getting higher and higher... The structure of the new AI sounds promising, with different levels.

Thanks for the answer but "no" to what?

NO i cannot control this corps inside an ai-group or NO i am not forced to separate it or NO i won't lose the benefits? ;)

and please don't say NO :rofl:

Please try reading the dev diary

"Now should you decide to assume manual control of a unit (say a Corps inside an Army Group) then this will deactivate the whole chain of command. Each existing unit will continue to follow its current order (e.g. move here or attack there) but no new ones will be issued. The AI cannot cope with human interference of its orders. "

Again: :rolleyes:
Is it enough to set one goal or few like Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad and the AI will make the whole front or will they just try to take those provs specified? So will I have to point also Vorhonez, Novogrod, Tula, Rostov etc till the most important points are selected or will it auto fill the gaps and create continuous front?

EDIT:
And will we have to point provinces on the way if we dont wanna have holes or will AI manage that? F.e: Theater East with 3 AG North, Center, South. 3 provs selected: Moscow Leningrad Stalingrad. Lets say that Kijev is not on the way of any of them - will they bypass it or will the theater fill the gaps?

Last edited:
Please try reading the dev diary

"Now should you decide to assume manual control of a unit (say a Corps inside an Army Group) then this will deactivate the whole chain of command. Each existing unit will continue to follow its current order (e.g. move here or attack there) but no new ones will be issued. The AI cannot cope with human interference of its orders. "

I got it.
I assume you don't understand what i mean or perhaps my english is too bad to understand...which is quite possible :)

I have one complete AI army.
Now i want to (manual) assist the ai with one human-controlled corps.
As described in the last DD this corps should be assigned to an army -> army group -> theatre to get the whole bonus and benefits of the command-structure.
As you quoted today's DD i cannot assign this human-corps to the ai-army.
Is this corps then doomed to be independent and get no benefits and no bonus from the command-struture?