• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, if this has been answered. I assume I can simultaniously give AI objectives to different levels of the command structure.
Is this correct? If so, what happens in case of contradicting objectives?
Eg. my theater is on prepare and my army groups are on blitzkrieg. Or vice versa? Or the provinces don't match. Are there some consistency rules of my objectives?

Sorry, if this has been answered. I assume I can simultaniously give AI objectives to different levels of the command structure.
Is this correct? If so, what happens in case of contradicting objectives?
Eg. my theater is on prepare and my army groups are on blitzkrieg. Or vice versa? Or the provinces don't match. Are there some consistency rules of my objectives?

Well, no, once you put a HQ under AI control, all of its subordinate units are completely under its authority. You can only issue orders to the "top of the pyramid."

However by setting on prepare it will wait. This choice will make it easier to maintain the element of surprise.

(1) Wouldn't Intelligence (i.e. Spies, Radar stations etc.) pick up things like this. Enemy objectives I mean? (that way, you could prepare to defend a certain enemy objective.)

(2) If you give Armeegruppe Benelux the order to Blitz Holland & Co. in peace time, I'm guessing units won't do anything (not even military tourism), but when you DOW they crack open their "cans of wop-ass" etc.
Question though: Won't Holland & Co. see it as "Threatening" to have units with such a posture on their doorstep (as opposed to Planning or no orders at all) even more so, won't it be seen as very "Threatening" to have a country plan attacks on your country (i.e. making Holland & Co. see the country of Armeegruppe Benelux as threatening)?

Last edited:
(1) Wouldn't Intelligence (i.e. Spies, Radar stations etc.) pick up things like this. Enemy objectives I mean? (that way, you could prepare to defend a certain enemy objective.)

(2) If you give Armeegruppe Benelux the order to Blitz Holland & Co. in peace time, I'm guessing units won't do anything (not even military tourism), but when you DOW they crack open their "cans of wop-ass" etc.
Question though: Won't Holland & Co. see it as "Threatening" to have units with such a posture on their doorstep (as opposed to Planning or no orders at all) even more so, won't it be seen as very "Threatening" to have a country plan attacks on your country (i.e. making Holland & Co. see the country of Armeegruppe Benelux as threatening)?

The military at peacetime always plans for war. I believe the American war plan against the British and Canadians was still getting updated in the 1930's.

On the other hand, having troops massed on the border should have diplomatic consequences.

Since there are so many provinces in Hearts of Iron III, it'd be pretty much impossible to order a large-scale offensive like Barbarossa without having the AI take control of most of it. So isn't there no real point to Hearts of Iron? I felt good blitzing Poland in 10 days in HOI2 but in this I'll sit back and watch the computer do it for me.
Seems like a change for the worse to me.

Since there are so many provinces in Hearts of Iron III, it'd be pretty much impossible to order a large-scale offensive like Barbarossa without having the AI take control of most of it.

If you take control of corps instead of divisions, you can pretty much have same amount of stacks to move as in HoI2, so it is not that bad. Also, AI doesn't take control by itself, so it is your choise.

Just because you put some unknown general in charage of a unit doesn't mean you're all of a sudden crap using it and the AI is no different.

I hope it is me that misunderstands, but surely the benefits of a leader traits (Rommel) say plus 4 resupply or 10% re-org (insert own stats here) will be as useful to the ai as to the player.
And yes assigning a crap general does not make me play any better or worse but it does to a degree affect the performance of the division/corps/armygroup etc. Even if it is only a leader bonus.
To say that the ai cannot take advantage of this and would appoint say a level 2 general and leave a level six general commanding a militia unit makes no sense (that is if I understand you correctly).
To also say that a ai level 1 general will perform as well as a level six also makes no sense (unless we are somehow lost in translation here.)
If a general traits/experience are only viable for human players i may as well let the ai handle my eastern front load it with promoted from nothing unknowns and the ai will fight as well as if i had given said command to FM Von Runsted, Gerneal Model, General Rommel????

I hope it is me that misunderstands, but surely the benefits of a leader traits (Rommel) say plus 4 resupply or 10% re-org (insert own stats here) will be as useful to the ai as to the player.
And yes assigning a crap general does not make me play any better or worse but it does to a degree affect the performance of the division/corps/armygroup etc. Even if it is only a leader bonus.
To say that the ai cannot take advantage of this and would appoint say a level 2 general and leave a level six general commanding a militia unit makes no sense (that is if I understand you correctly).
To also say that a ai level 1 general will perform as well as a level six also makes no sense (unless we are somehow lost in translation here.)
If a general traits/experience are only viable for human players i may as well let the ai handle my eastern front load it with promoted from nothing unknowns and the ai will fight as well as if i had given said command to FM Von Runsted, Gerneal Model, General Rommel????
This is the question King initially replied to
Will leader abilites and skill levels influence AI behaviour?

Will, lets say, "I-got-tanks" level 6 Rommel act smarter than "I-have-badges" lvl 1 Heimller?
This guy seems to ask whether the AI will be smarter when you appoint, say, Mannstein as theater commander than when you appoint some skill 0 general. This seems not to be the case (which makes sense, making the AI act at a set level of stupidity seems awfully hard) I assume that all skill modifiers that work for the player work for the AI as well.
As for the bolded part, the diary says that the AI will leave the command structure you set up for it alone which suggests that the AI cannot appoint, move or promote commanders.

This is the question King initially replied to

This guy seems to ask whether the AI will be smarter when you appoint, say, Mannstein as theater commander than when you appoint some skill 0 general. This seems not to be the case (which makes sense, making the AI act at a set level of stupidity seems awfully hard) I assume that all skill modifiers that work for the player work for the AI as well.
As for the bolded part, the diary says that the AI will leave the command structure you set up for it alone which suggests that the AI cannot appoint, move or promote commanders.

Would be nice if leader ability and troop experience is taken into account in the "have I got enough troops" calculation. So a level 1 FM/Gen/LtGen/MajGen tree with 1936 inf might need 12 more divisions but the Germans with 1941 infantry and level 3 or 4 Generals may only want another 6.

Maybe i missed that. As far as I understood whatever forces you have in theatre X fall under the theatre commander if he is ai. He then does with them what he wants after you have given him objectives. He also orders extra units (this could be done as a request) should he need them.
The setup of lower corps etc are handle by him and if I read correctly you set the level of ai control. Be that Theatre, Army Group, Corps or Division. The ai comands everything in the theatre assigned to it. It choses where to move what and how... Which brings me back to the question does the AI take leadership traits and abilities into account when deploying them.
As i understand it now, You can assign z corps to Theatre x and the theatre x ai comander will assign it where he needs it?
I could be wrong and blowing smoke up my own arse though

Last edited:
This is the relevant bit from the diary.
The steps to AI control

1) Sort out your command structure. The AI is not going to tamper with your well-organised command structure. There is an exception to this, units assigned out of position in the command structure (e.g. a division under an army or a corps assigned direct to theatre HQ) are classed as reserves and the AI will freely reassign them to where it needs them inside the command structure. This gives you a blend of handing over units to the AI without having it mess things up totally and at the same time allow you to give the flexibility in the use of the units.
Unless i am missing something the Ai is not allowed to re-assign commanders. It can only order units about.

This is the relevant bit from the diary.

Unless i am missing something the Ai is not allowed to re-assign commanders. It can only order units about.

From what I understand, it cannot change the command structures you set up for it. However, if you give it 3 new infantry divisions I believe it can insert them where it believes it will need them if you do not put them in the command structure yourself.