• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You Gonna re-ally Georgia, like th start of your aar says (keep an alliance until it is absolutly impossible) or are you going to conquer em, convert if needed and then release them or just permenently keep their lands?

I definitely think that reliving the conquests of Alexander the Great (Alexeious the Great?) would be a mighty fine thing. :)

Tech is definitely low, isn't it? Maybe you need to conquer those Netherlands to show them that tech isn't everything. :p

Thanks again for your comments. It's been a bit long, but the next update is coming up!

Malurous: Yes, what you say is definitely true, but I also got map spread from the relatively remote Red Sea after I got Basra. I'm working on the cross!

Hitmanalex: I intend to re-ally them and I'll try to make them stronger too.

Vesimir: Yes, I believe the rake was innocent and acting in self-defense.

Colonel Bran: Happy to remind you. Childhood cartoons are always awesome to remember. I particularly liked Sinbad's talking bird Sheila.

Azugal: Hm.. I'll add Operation Stinky High-tech Swamp to the list ;)

oddman: I still need quite a few innovative moves before I can westernise. I actually moved in the other direction once to get some more missionaries. That might've been a not-so-wise move, I guess.

Part X - Everywhere but home (1516-1530)*

* A cool Foo Fighters dvd, but of course, the name is taken from the motto of the 16th century Trebizondian 2nd Glorious Legion

Well then, it's springtime in Trebizond in the wonderful year 1516. Lush, green, warm, agreeable, lovely, peaceful... All great qualities of course, but not exactly awesome!

Therefore, it is decided something has to be conquered.

We pick Persia, for three reasons
1) It is tiny (2 provinces) and unfortified
2) It is guaranteed by the Golden Horde, which is already fighting Novgorod.
3) Controlling them will prevent the Timurids from reconnecting their isolated northern provinces

We send one division into Persia, keep one at home and combine all others in a single army that heads north toward the Horde.

265perswar.jpg

The Persians are overrun in no time at all, then vassalized. They also hand over a nice sum of money. Very welcome and utterly glorious! Once again, Greeks rule over Persia! :cool:

Then again, it could be argued that the Timurids are the real successors to the ancient Persians conquered by Alexander, not the backwards nomads in the northern hills we just conquered...

Anyway we use some of the money to build forts in the new provinces and some Caravels.

266perswon.jpg

267perswin.jpg

The Caucasian army is winning a major battle against the main GH army and they already had enough of the war (white peace offer after 2 months). Chicken!

268goldchicken.jpg

Soon they peace out with Novgorod.

269novpeace.jpg

We discover Production Tech 8, whatever that may be. Only one tech to go for workshops, so we keep focusing on production.

The Horde's armies are destroyed after extensive pingponging -except for those in some far-away Ural provinces we decide to leave alone - and we start sieging happily.

270prodtech.jpg

It's true. "Meteors scare the hell out of people, no matter what".

271meteor.jpg

Sieging took some time but in 1519 we sign a favorable peace treaty and we gain the territory we call Transcaucasia. In the real world, that name refers to the lands south of the mountain range because it's a term invented by the Russian Empire. But from a Trebizondian point of view, it's the other way around of course.

272ghpeace.jpg

We have a lot of rebels running around causing havoc.

273rebels.jpg

We kick them out and then I decided it was time for a cool random picture.

274timur.jpg

It's Timur the Lame visiting his prisoner sultan Bayazid. Painted in 1878 by Stanisław Chlebowski, some Pole I never heard of. But I do like it!

We send some gifts to the Georgians, enter a Royal Marriage, trying to diplo-vassalize them.

But I sell them the province of Georgia thinking they should have it, before I realize that this will make diplo-vassalizing unpossible (they can't have more than 3 provinces in IN 3.1, right?)
I feel quite stupid about this, as it ruins my plans. I wanted to give all of Transcaucasia to Georgia, as it is not connected to my capital and such. But that would've been more attractive if only they had been my vassals.

In this new situation, should we still give the rest of Transcaucasia to Georgia? Or use it as a base of operations for our eventual push for Moscow? I can't decide, so we move on.

275georgia.jpg

Now look at Greece!

276greece.jpg

They are guaranteed by the Horde AND they are shiite! That's just asking for it!

The are annexed within 3 months, and we snatch another GH province too. I didn't even raise military maintenance for this war.

Our reputation is now 9.96/42, tarnished. I'll try to stay low for a few years.

277another.jpg

Here's the army statistics in 1522:

278armies.jpg

Allies green, hostile neighbors red, friendly neighbors yellow.

HRE Poland is our scariest enemy, big and advanced, but they're too afraid of Novgorod to attack us. I could support an army twice as big as I have now, both financially and support limit-wise, but I want to raise military spending slowly and gently so that I'll have some money for other stuff too.

We get an awesome event that will further bring down our inflation. I'm already noticing lower prices for everything. I'm starting to think that I overestimated the severity of inflation.
Might be wrong there though as I'm still lagging a lot techwise.

279diogenes.jpg

In 1524, we get Production 9 and we spend some years building workshops and converting. Has to be done to, eh!

In fact, I was pondering how workshops are actually more valuable (in game) for poor nations, as it gives a larger relative income increase. I don't think that's very realistic, is it now? :confused: How could a tax base 1 province suddenly triple it's revenue with a workshop?

1526 gives us 3 cores from the first Hungarian war, while Naples declares independence from Aragon. We warn and guarantee them.

Later that year we move a slider towards Innovative because we do want to Westernize eventually!

280slider.jpg

This will reduce our number of missionaries per year to a negligible 0.05.
But of course, we have a plan!

IT'S OPERATION SPHINX PLUS!

281nogai.jpg

I placed an army next to Nogai's land before the DoW, because I didn't want Novgorod to grab it. None of Nogai's provinces have forts.

Declaring war can be really useful for exploring.

282explore.jpg

283offer.jpg

I decline.

284nogai.jpg

Much better. Yet another Muslim buffer state!

We white peace with Swahili and get 100 ducats from the Golden Horde. Novgorod was totally crushing them again, so they get away, for now.

285mamwar.jpg

In the meantime I'm slowly gaining ground against the Mamluks. Their main army (~25k) is scary, but they seem to be happy just walking around the Gaza/Sinai/Tabouk area, so I can take the Levant unopposed.

286warscore.jpg

The campaign against Kazakh took very long, because an army needed to trek deep into Terra Incognita, but eventually they are successful and another Central Asian khanate is added to our vassals. We now have a nice vassal wall from the Caspian to Lake Balkhash, effectively separating the Timurids and Novgorod, halting the expansion of both. We compliment our strategic cunning, then get on sieging Cairo.

287kazakh.jpg

Our vassals are really helpful, especially Tunisia on the western front and Iraq in the Arabian peninsula. I trust them to siege the undefended provinces on the periphery while I concentrate my troops where I need them most.

In 1529, most of the Mamluk's territory is in my hands and War Score has reached 97%. No point in continuing the war much longer as we are already quite victoglorious.

288victory.jpg

According to the Treaty of Beirut, signed in August 1529, all Mamluk territory along the Mediterranean coast from Aleppo all the way to Diamienta will be ceded to Trebizond. Prestigious gains for sure, including the Holy City of Jeruzalem! We now also have a border with both the rich CoT of Alexandria and the Mamluk capital in Cairo. Obviously, this drastically improves our start position in a hypothetical next war.

289gains.jpg

290jeruzalem.jpg

We surpass the Timurids and Novgorod, and are very close to France in terms of # of provinces.

291provinces.jpg

Let's conclude with a few maps!

292map1530.jpg

(this includes vassals)

293map2.jpg

I realized I now have a vassal that borders Ming. Is that bad?
Also, I fear my promised land of California might see the arrival of Portuguese colonists pretty soon...

Last edited:
14th war of agression lol YOu must be popular around the neighbourhood eh? ;)

Great job tackling the Mamluks

Novgorod bloobing, you are going to have quite a ally there :D

Hmm yeah... Maybe I should take Sibir and that northernmost GH province asap, to block Novgorods eastwards expansion completely? Or would that be unwise?

14th war of agression lol YOu must be popular around the neighbourhood eh? ;)

Great job tackling the Mamluks

Heh, thanks. It takes a lot of wars to get anywhere as an OPM. And war is easily declared on infidels of course.

Last edited:
I've been following this for a long time, and I like it. Once you finish it, it should be the #1 candidate for my Alexander Award, for victogloriousness and, quite frankly, the fact that this is outright hilarious.

Hmm yeah... Maybe I should take Sibir and that northernmost GH province asap, to block Novgorods eastwards expansion completely? Or would that be unwise?

Quite hard decision, beacause if they form Russia they'll have a lot of cores in GH territory. And you already have some territories they gain core in

Unless you try to stop them forming Russia

It's up to you

Awesome AAR. An orthodox rome would be pretty cool too:cool:. EDIT: WTF a shiite GREECE?!?!?

Intermission - State of the Awesomeness 1530

Let's see where we stand before we steamroll everybody, shall we?
Future historians will look benevolently on our tact and consideration! :cool:

trebload.jpg

Loading up, we see we have risen to a 5/2/5 ranking.. Not bad! The low economy rating is probably due to a low number of cores and thus low yearly income.

294charts1530.jpg

Religion is going ok I think. We now have Jeruzalem and since we're preparing the complete destruction of the Arabs, quite possibly Mecca too soon. This will ensure the supremacy of Orthodoxy in our lands even if we'd go very innovative (to Westernize e.g.)

Unfortunately, we produce relatively much worthless crap products like Wool, Grain and Fish. But expansion southward and eastward is expected to bring us exotic stuff like coffee, spices and tea.

Culturally we're so diverse now, with our holdings in 3 continents, that it will become very difficult to get any more cultures accepted I think. Maybe Hungarian if we're lucky (the threshold to get a culture accepted is way higher, 15% of your cores I believe, than the point at which you lose an accepted culture again)

295overview1530.jpg

Note the good relations with France. We also have a pretty decent manpower pool these days. Compared to what we started with, anyway.

296income.jpg

Our income rose quickly in the beginning because of our trade empire in that days. When that maxed out, income leveled off and it only really started to increase when new cores started to come in. Note that most of the spikes in the graph are due to the collection of war taxes.

297income2.jpg

Inflation is down from 20+ to a competitive level again! Yay! \0/

Other news in 1530 AD:

August 1: Our province of Kabylia, in North Africa, becomes a core. This will extend our colonization and support range a whole lot further in the Atlantic. Not that that's of any use yet.

August/September: Crisis of the Georgian Alliance. Georgia baffles the Emperor's court by unilaterally breaking our alliance. What!? Did their King get a sunstroke this summer? We send one of our most experienced diplomats to renew the alliance. They accept, but hardly has the diplomat returned home or they break it again.

298georgia.jpg

Surely relations with the blue men in the mountains cooled off quite a bit.
We give up on the alliance and send them a clear warning instead. We'd prefer to be friends but if they want to play it the hard way, so be it!

299warn.jpg

October 14: War of Omani Aggression

Well, that's how Trebizondian chroniclers recorded the event. Actually, we declared war after the Omani Malik refused to send his daughters to the Emperor as a tribute. Details, details...

300oman.jpg

More soon about the downfall of the Arabs!
Also, the dawn of a new age, albeit under Emperor Fool ...

Last edited: