• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations on the 50th update! I can't believe it has been over 2 years!:eek:

Another good update, I think you have achieved the penultimate encirclement, in Poland.

I too like AoD, I can actually see the improvement in the AI, and the battles are much improved!

Congrats on 50! :D

Looks like Germany will soon fall. Chuchill must be throwing a fit over Alexander's timidity, and the fact that China will get to dictate much of the post-war world order.

Congrats on 50! :D

Looks like Germany will soon fall. Chuchill must be throwing a fit over Alexander's timidity, and the fact that China will get to dictate much of the post-war world order.

Churchill is going to have to get over it. To the victors goes the spoils.

Ahriman - AOD is awesome and it's some of the best money I ever spent. As for the AAR, it's tempting and there are even a few screenshots of my first game but I want to try something that's less of a commitment. Like getting married or having a kid, sort of ease into it. :rofl:

Nathan Madien- It's not though. That has been the nicest thing about AOD. In HOI2, I have all these scenes where the surrounded Germans are prepared to fight to the death and they surrender in 2 hours. It hurts the narrative. In AOD, those battles would take days and actually slow me down somewhat.

Macs- Yes!!!! You have validated the entire point of writing this thing. I wanted someone to read it and use it as a guide for playing China. I'm glad you had fun doing it and I wonder how awful it must have been to fight a full SU without Germany to distract it. (Though it probably still stuck 300 divisions on the western border)  The Allies do pretty much nothing here but they sent some very encouraging letters. ...and You're welcome.

quaazi
- I think China actually plays quite well in AOD. The issue seems to be on the Japanese side with the AI building a 100+ infantry army by 1938. If both sides stick to historical force levels I think the stalemate will arise naturally. Also, I always play China so the Japanese AI needs all the help it can get. As for the armored car... hobby sites are very thorough.

elbasto - I haven't had a tech team raise in value yet so I don't think that part matters very much. The infrastructure is important and it hurts as China. It also makes the coastal provinces much more valuable as the IC there is more efficient due to the better infra. Post war plans are slowly crystallizing, there's a little bit of a hint in this update.

Maj. von Mauser- You and me both. I had no idea what I was getting into. The Poland encirclement well executed but it's not the best. I think that one goes to Kharkov back in 1942 when I got 30+ German divisions in one pocket. I have seen the AI in AOD pull some good stuff. The amphibious assault AI now launches properly and I haven't seen any hopelessly overstacked assaults.

KaiserMuffin- Congrats on winning the Fan and AAR of the week in the same week Good Show! You have 22 updates in 22 days so you're well on track for 50. The trick is when you get beyond the honeymoon period. At first, the story is bursting to get out but later, at least with me, I have to dig to find it and and make it interesting. You start to consider a breakup, start looking at other AAR's, play other countries, tell yourself that you'll keep going as you drift further apart.

Duke_of_BOOM!- Mr. Churchill can bitch all he want but he ain't in charge. The British government is run by Lord Halifax and Mr. Churchill is just venting his vitriol in the house of commons. What to do with said order..... hmmmm....

And the update!

Last edited:
32年 6月 10日

Summer over Europe was not peaceful. The Polish pocket was surrounded and the enveloping Chinese forces moved in to complete the liberation of Poland. As always, the priority targets for encirclement were the German panzer divisions. Padma Rana was gaining a reputation as an excellent Field commander, and would become one of the few Non Chinese officers to receive a 雲麾勳章 (Order of the Cloud and Banner) medal for his contribution to the war effort.

Order_of_the_Cloud_and_Banner_star.jpg

Inside the pocket, the trapped German divisions were hopelessly outnumbered and would be forced to retreat across the river.

1943-06-10-liquidate-brest-.jpg

The best of the Wehrmacht would die in Poland. Chinese troops had surrounded Danzig. The five divisions within the city had been forbidden from retreating. Their orders were to hold the city at all costs or die trying. They would do the latter. Further south, some 14 German divisions were under attack from all sides. The goal was to herd them into Lublin where a mass surrender could be affected. What was surprising, was the general unwillingness of the German High Command to surrender. Even the lower level generals had a tendency to underestimate their Chinese opposition. Intellectually, they knew that they were in trouble, but they didn't quite believe it and it usually took an object lesson for that to change.

1943-06-10-liquidate-the-po.jpg

32年 6月 11日

The small island of Bornholm was a target for several reasons. The Chinese were eager to liberate Denmark and thus open up the North Atlantic and Baltic Sea route for supplying the massive armies now in theater. Bornholm, if left alone, could potentially close off the Baltic to Allied shipping. Zhang Fakui sent several Pabing divisions supported by the divisional artillery of 9 other divisions to attack the island. Thankfully, the German garrison was not in the mood to hole up and the garrison would surrender once the first Chinese troops reached the beaches.

1943-06-11-attack-bornholm.jpg

Kustrin guarded the Oder river and was thus the last natural barrier before Berlin. Pang Bingxun and the First Bingtuan were the ones tasked with capturing the capital of the Reich. This was the oldest and most decorated unit in the Republic of China Army. It had been formed out of the original German trained divisions of the National Revolutionary army. The honor and irony of being the first into Berlin was not lost on any of the officers under Pang Bingxun's command. At 64, Pang Bingxun was one of the oldest generals serving in the Army but he had proven to be one of its best. The Germans in Kustrin were well organized and capable but they lacked the numbers to hold back the advancing Chinese.

1943-06-11-attack-kustrin.jpg

32年 6月 12日

The Germans were not about to let the Poland pocket fall without a fight. The southern edge of the encircling forces was weak, and the Germans would mass their tanks in an attempt to make a breakthrough at Czestochowa. Fu Zuoyi and his cavalry divisions were not in any position to fight nor did they have the equipment to take on 800 modern German tanks. As the first patrols made contact, only to be blown apart by massed German fire, the Chinese finally understood why the Germans inside the pocket had refused to surrender. A counterattack was ordered against the the German rear as the armored spearhead was too strong to take on directly.

1943-06-12-cstesto-attacked.jpg

32年 6月 13日

Padma Rana and the Nepalis smashed into the remaining German soldiers in Lublin. The risk of German breakthrough in the south had moved up the timetable for liquidating the pocket.

1943-06-13-attack-Lublin.jpg

32年 6月 14日

Hoff Lu had finished setting up the College of Nuclear Physics at Fudan University in Shanghai, (原子核物理学家). The next step was building a real research laboratory. This was easy as China had been able to copy the physics department at Columbia University. Igor Kurchatov and what remained of the Soviet Union's modest nuclear physics academia had been recovered and offered teaching jobs at the new department.

Building a state of the art research lab was more difficult as it was an expensive and time consuming process. For the scientists there, it was a dream come true. They were being offered a blank check from the ROC to design and build any equipment they wanted and run any experiments they desired. As part of the effort, Fudan University was aggressively recruiting from American and British Universities. Fudan's location in Shanghai aided this effort tremendously as the former concession areas allowed English speaking students a comfortable environment while still giving them access to the "exoticism" of China.

1943-06-14-tech.jpg

In the occupied territories, unrest was a fact of life. Chinese garrison forces were small, spread out, and mostly concerned with guarding the rail lines between the China and Europe. After smashing the apparatus of state security, the vast Chinese armies had moved on, leaving a power vacuum that threatened to be filled by rebellious elements. So far partisan activity had been limited to a few strikes on railroads and power lines.

1943-06-14-Partisans.jpg

There hadn't been any outright rebellions so far. The Chinese government had played host to numerous white Russian exiles since the close of the Russian Civil war in 1923 and Harbin and Shanghai played host to huge Russian communities. When the war with the Soviets had started, the Republic of China Army foresaw the need for Russian translators and administrators and thus had offered massive inducements to get the White Russian exile community to enlist. These included money, a right of return provided appropriate documents, and access to secondary schooling. The law of unintended consequences was in full effect. For example, the Army medical corps had begun recruiting Russian emigre women as nurses and the success of the program had led the army to make a special dispensation for female translators. This had a startling effect in Shanghai. In 1935, a league of Nations inquiry had determined that 22% of Russian women in Shanghai between 16 and 45 engaged in some form of prostitution. The Social Affairs Bureau had tried with very limited success to somehow curtail the explosive vice that gave Shanghai its exotic reputation. Student protests and official edicts had had almost no effect. Within one month of the new policy (November 1941), word had spread through the dance halls and massage parlors that Russian speaking women had a train ticket promising money, regular food, and a roof over their head if they could get to a recruiting office. In two years, over 1000 White Russian girls had escaped prostitution by joining the military.

t-russ01.jpg

In general, the Chinese government had been taking full advantage of the near unanimous support offered by 300,000 + Russian exile community in China. For 20 years, the Russians in China had been second class citizens. They had no passports and had been forced to carve a niche for themselves within Chinese society. Without extraterritoriality, they were under Chinese jurisdiction and were often targets of anti foreign sentiment in lieu of better protected targets. The foreign community generally viewed them with pity and disdain. The existence of a white underclass in the prosperous trading ports of China served as an unwelcome reminder that the supremacy of Europeans in Asia might not be the natural order that the founders of empire enshrined. The liberation of Russia offered an opportunity for social advancement that no Russian could ignore. Bryan Shaw wrote about the plight of the Russian community in Shanghai in his novel Sin City,

"The dream of every single White Russian woman in China was to acquire a passport. She was stateless, had no country, could go nowhere. She was not a Soviet citizen but a refugee from Communist rule. The best prospect, of course, was an American passport. Thus single American males became the chief prey. Young, middle-aged, senile, handsome, ugly as sin, long, short, fat, thin ... no matter. The goal was a passport. The British, the French, the Germans - anybody with a legal travel document were secondary prey.

Unlike their womenfolk the White Russian males were doomed to suffer the stigma Of statelessness unless, by some miracle, they could find their various ways to such countries as the United States, Australia, New Zealand or some British colony, there to reside long enough to apply for citizenship.

The lot of the Russian male in Shanghai was pitiful. The single other man had little hope of marrying a girl of his own race - or any. He had nothing to offer. Feminine eyes had in focus only those with a national status, with well-paid jobs, with homelands well up in the international league. What Prospect, for instance, could be offered by a former officer in the Czarist army who was working as a caretaker in one of the Sassoon office blocks? Or a former Russian admiral eking out a precarious existence as a cemetery keeper?."

Their prospects improved dramatically as the need for loyal Russians with military training were boundless. They found themselves put in charge of cities, town, oblasts, and factories all across Russia.

One of the things that they were in charge of was currency policy. The Soviet Union had not had very much currency in circulation as most of it was government controlled. Because of this, it had been fairly easy to start a program buying up the Gold Soviet Rubles and replacing them with the so called "Russian yuan" (it was also known locally in Russia as the "Chinese Ruble"). Smaller denominations were replaced with paper while larger ones were replaced with their equivalent value in silver.

Another thing that had kept dissent down in Russia was that almost half of the population had been under German occupation before the Chinese got there. The people that remained were fairly unanimous when it came to greeting the Chinese as liberators.

soviet_pop_82-final.jpg

Chinese spies were confident that Germany had lost another 17 infantry and 5 panzer divisions in the past two weeks of fighting. The Luftwaffe was also severely understrength and had not been seen in force for months.

1943-06-14-German-intel.jpg

The primary goal of the offensive in the Balkans was to remove the all Axis forces from the Black Sea. As long as the Black Sea was combatant waters, Turkey would not allow either side entrance through Istanbul. Troops from Bucharest were ordered to move across the border against weak resistance into Bulgaria.

1943-06-14-attack-pleven.jpg

32年 6月 15日

Chinese forces were ordered into Straslund to cut off Berlin from the rest of Germany. The goal was to surround the city before the Germans could move in significant reinforcements.

1943-06-15-Stralsund-troops.jpg

32年 6月 16日

After successfully clearing Finland of Axis forces, Long Yun had been reassigned to Romania in hopes that he could replicate his success. The attack into the Carpathians was brutal but the Germans were simply running out of warm bodies to throw at the Chinese. They would be forced to retreat.

1943-06-16-attack-sibiu.jpg

The German forces who had tried to rescue the Polish Pocket came under attack in Cracow from overwhelming Chinese forces. Luo Zhuoying and the Second Bingtuan were more than capable of seeing the Germans on their way.

1943-06-16-attack-cracow.jpg

32年 6月 17日

Mechanized repair and transport was by far the most difficult task facing the Chinese army. Most soldiers had never seen any modern machinery before entering the military and had to be trained from scratch.

As war wound down, Sun Li-Jen was put in charge of codifying what would become China's post war doctrine, Xingsugong (行速攻) It roughly translated as movement - speed - offensive in English. (The three characters "行" meaning "move," "速" meaning "quick", and 攻 meaning "attack.") The basic idea was the same one that the Chinese had been following since the war began. Chinese armies focused on moving faster, lighter, and with more than anyone else. The idea was not based on mass, rather it was based on motion. Historical and contemporary Chinese military thought viewed land as largely unimportant when it came to objectives and strategic goals. The goal was the destruction of the enemy will and capability to fight and terrain and territory were secondary to that goal. The collision of military mass was to be avoided.

1943-06-17-atech.jpg

The advancing forces in Kustrin were hit from the South by German panzer divisions. The German panzers were the only combat ready forces in northern Europe and they weren't about to let Berlin go without a fight.

1943-06-17-kustrin-attacked.jpg

32年 6月 18日

The problem was that the panzers had far too much ground to defend. A general front wide offensive would force them back as the tanks were simply overwhelmed.

1943-06-17-attack-oppeln-de.jpg

The Romanian offensive continued with an assault into Arad. It was hoped that Hungary could be separated from the front in Romania.

1943-06-18-attack-arad.jpg

Slovakia was an aberration of country forced born out of Nazi greed. Eliminating Nazi puppet regimes was a priority for the Chinese as they hoped it might induce their fellows to surrender without fighting.

1943-06-18-attack-kosice.jpg

Victory in Kosice would be welcome news as the offensiive in Arad stalled due to fresh Axis reinforcements.

1943-06-18-kosice-victory.jpg

32年 6月 20日

Chinese troops had arrived in Kustrin and had started to surround Berlin from both the North and South in preparation for the final assault. The position north was holding against a weak German counterattack and it was hoped that moving troops south would reduce casualties when it came time for the final push on the city.

1943-06-20-cottbus-victory.jpg

Chinese troops stormed into the teeth of the German defenses in Debrecen. The fall of Arad offered an opportunity to encircle a few more German divisions in Hungary.

1943-06-20-attack-debrecen.jpg

32年 6月 21日

Chinese mobile forces once again arrived in an Axis capital.

1943-06-21-arrive-bratislav.jpg

They would accept the surrender of the Slovak Republic's leaders, most of whom had already been captured by the revolutionaries in anticipation of liberation.

1943-06-21-annex-bratislava.jpg

Slovakia had been the shield protecting the Hungary's northern border. With Slovakia gone, there were no Axis forces left to contest the Chinese advance into Budapest.

1943-06-21-attack-miskolc.jpg

32年 6月 22日

Only the western approaches to Berlin remained in Axis hands and Yan Xishan was in charge of changing that. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese troops had made it across the Oder and they moved north to cut off the final retreat for any Germans left in Berlin.

1943-06-22-attack-potsdam.jpg

32年 6月 23日

The six German divisions in Berlin were in for a fight as almost a million Chinese troops attacked the city from all sides.

1943-06-23-attack-Berlin.jpg

This could be the end! Find out next time on AARight to Be Hostile!

Chinese Quiz: No one has answered the question about the armored car yet. I'm kind of disappointed. (especially maj von mauser who is a licensed screenshot ninja.)

Last edited:
Great update as usual, interesting mention of the White Russian refugees. I see you're going to move the post-war Chinese border, to the victor the spoils!

No idea on that armored car. I thought I recognised it as being one of the old Soviet models but have been unable to confirm it with image trawling. I think you may have to tell us.

Good progress! It will be interesting to see what happens with the fall of Berlin! I wonder if you shall have to fight for France aswell...

I'll do a little bit of investigating on the AC. Considering it's era however, it could be a completely unique model, I am wondering if you yourself know what type it is?

Last edited:
I like the background on the White Russians in China. Candidates for leadership of a Russian Republic along the lines of KMT China, perhaps?

Ok, so I'm back. Victory is fast approaching, but I need the help of the community. I'm just starting to plan the events for post war Europe and I have two problems right now.

1) Where is there an event that will make Vichy reunite with Free France after the war is over?

2) How can I liberate Poland at it's pre war borders?

Finally, the AARland Choice awards are on and it would mean a lot if some people voted for the Little China that could. :)

quaazi - The Jerries are taking longer. But the biggest thing now is that I have the morale. It means I can press forward much faster.

Ahriman - The border is based on the Qing era borders in the early 19th century. The ROC merely extended those borders in Siberia and up to Lake Baikal.

Maj. von Mauser - I didn't know what type it was when I first asked the question, but I made myself track it down when it looked like no one was going to be able to. I will have to fight for France as the developers were criminally negligent in not including a "Germany surrenders to China" event; silly people.

Meadow
- They are definitely going to be where most of the leadership for liberated Russia comes from. The exact form of the Russian government is yet to be decided.

Nathan Madien
- I resisted that particular cliche and made my own. And it is.

Colonel Bran
- I actually use Adobe Imageready for all of my photos. I already did an Iwo Jima flag earlier so I think I've used up my stock flag photo allowance for this AAR. :rofl:

Duke_of_BOOM!
- You are correct sir! I really didn't know about the amount of White Russians in China until I started to write this entry. What had been three sentences about partisans kind of snowballed with more research.

And the Update!

32年 6月 24日

In the Balkans, a desperate battle waged between the advancing Chinese forces and the counterattacking Germans. The Chinese advance on Pleven had devolved into little more than an armed mob, crashing against the Bulgarian defenses in huge numbers. The Germans saw their opportunity and hoped that they could smash through the now weakened defenses of Bucharest before the Chinese could reinforce it. This had sparked a wider Chinese counterassault on all unengaged Axis forces that were in a position to threaten Romania's capital. The fate of the southern theater and the lives of thousands hung in the balance.

1943-06-24--Balkan-balance.jpg

The ROCAF would save the day and the German defeat at Pleven quickly spread to all axis forces.

1943-06-24--Balkan-balance-.jpg

32年 6月 25日

The German army was fragmenting from the top. Most of the existing Heeresgruppes had been destroyed and not adequately replaced. The only intact Heeresgruppe was Heeresgruppe Sud which had had been reorganized to include most of the Balkans, with any forces north belonging to an expanded Heeresgruppe Mitte. Unfortunately for the Germans, the rapid destruction of their armies had caused chaos in their command structure. With the impending fall of Berlin, OKW was necessarily going to have to move somewhere else, but in the meantime neither Heeresgruppe could coordinate effectively. This had disastrous results for the 20th and 29th panzergrenadier divisions in Eastern Hungary. They remained one of the most combat ready formations left in the German army and both Heeresgruppe Mitte and Heeresgruppe Sud wanted them. When the situation in Hungary worsened, Heeregruppe Mitte ordered it to retreat west to join up with other formation and mount a defense in Budapest. At the same time, Heeresgruppe Sud sent orders to move south and defend western Romania. The confusion had the effect immobilizing the formation for almost 4 days which was enough time for Chinese troops to make the whole question moot by cutting off all routes of withdrawal.

1943-06-25-satu-mare-pocket.jpg

32年 6月 26日

Aided by the local population, Chinese forces had successfully advanced through Bohemia and Moravia, leaving the Germans pocketed in the Sudetenland. Though the Germans had the benefit of the extensive prewar Czech fortifications, they were neither trained nor equipped to take full advantage of it. Wei Lihuang's Pabing divisions were and would make short work of the tanks trapped in the hills of Silesia.

1943-06-26-attack-ostrava.jpg

This was part of a larger offensive operation 公狮攻势,(The Lion Offensive) aimed at the destruction of all German forced left in prewar Poland and Czeckoslovakia.

1943-06-26-attack-breslau.jpg

32年 6月 27日

After four days of heavy fighting, Pang Bingxun's First Bingtuan declared the city secured. Unfortunately, most of the senior Nazis had been evacuated almost two weeks earlier. The silver lining was that the absence of the senior leadership meant that the city's population and garrison had not been compelled to fight to the last man. It was hoped that the fall of Berlin would cause a larger German surrender but disturbing rumors were arising about the remaining Heer forces. Chinese forces had accepted the surrender of 7 German divisions in the past week, but only 3 of the listed commanding generals were present. Of the four remaining generals, 2 were definitely killed and had their headquarters staff replaced by the SS within the past two weeks. There was mounting evidence of a quiet coup by elements of the nazi party opposed to a German surrender.

1943-06-27-urban-warfare.jpg

Pang Bingxun caused a bit of a diplomatic incident after he accepted the keys to the city from Oberbürgermeister Ludwig Steeg. British and Free French officials had been on planes and arrived overland via occupied Russia after Berlin was surrounded. Both governments had insisted that they should have equal diplomatic presence with regards to Berlin and any surrender negotiations. As part of this, it was officially agreed that any surrender ceremony have representatives from all of the Allied nations in attendance. Pang Bingxun honored the letter of the document but certainly not its spirit in arrangement of the victory parade down the Unter der Linden. The parade consisted of 30 officials from Allied nations and governments in exile along with 20,000 Chinese troops. Similarly, all Allied flags were flown over the Reichstag but only the Chinese flag would be displayed anywhere else. The diplomatic implications were clear, the future of Germany was in China's hands.

Victory-Berlin.jpg

32年 6月 28日

Heeresgruppe Mitte would regret the loss of the troops in Satu Mare as came under furious attack in Eastern Hungary. Most of the German formations were severely understrength and they had no chance of holding against the determined assault.

1943-06-28-attack-szeged.jpg

32年 6月 30日

Axis forces were currently tied down in the Carpathians and this presented another opportunity for the Chinese. Long Yun led an attack south upstream along the Morava. The defending Germans, while well prepared simply lacked the numbers to adequately defend all of the approaches to the Basin and were defeated in detail by the Chinese offensive.

1943-06-30-attack-nis.jpg

32年 7月 2日

The Second Bingtuan arrived in Pecs only to meet limited resistance from an outdated cavalry division and its German support. The battle would be won handily and the life expectancy of the Kingdom of Hungary was now measured in days.

1943-07-02-attack-pecs.jpg

Further east, Chinese forces had broken through at Pleven and rapidly raced to the Black Sea. The trapped German Bulgarian Army fought hard but the Chinese and Allied forces were too strong. The fall of Pleven would also cede the last bit of Axis territory on the Black Sea to the Chinese. Under the terms of the Ankara Declaration, Turkey had closed the Bosporus to all ships belonging to any belligerent power as long as the the Black Sea remained an active theater. The capture of the Romanian coast by Chinese forces rendered the Black Sea inactive and opened it to Chinese shipping.

1943-07-02-Constanta-pocket.jpg

The British had declared victory in the Battle of Tripoli after forcing the Axis forces back to their third defensive line and out of the city. Without the cities port facilities, it was hoped that the hundreds of thousands of Axis troops still in North Africa would be forced to surrender.

1943-07-02-North-africa-aga.jpg

British troops inspecting a destroyed German tank in Al Khums.

destroyed-tanks-colo-AAR-52.jpg

32年 7月 3日

The fall of Berlin had prompted an abortive rescue attempt. The understrength Axis divisions had been allowed to advance into Potsdam The Chinese had preplanned artillery, infiltration teams, and local informers who made this area into prepared killing zone and the Germans would be thrown back with heavy casualties 24 km short of their objective.

1943-07-03-German-pocket-cl.jpg

There was a reason for allowing the Germans so close to Berlin. It kept them in central Germany and away from the Chinese pincers that had moved in to separate the Reich from occupied France. Now that they were in place, Chinese forces began to advance into the pocket.

1943-07-03-German-pocket-le.jpg

32年 7月 4日

Chinese troops arrived in Pecs. What remained of the Horthy government and conservative political forces had been following in the Chinese wake and removing pro Nazi state apparatus. The war had lost the support of the majority of Hungarians months ago, but they had lacked the means to seek a peace with the Allies.

1943-07-04-arrive-pecs.jpg

Ferenc Szálasi and the remains of the Pro Nazi Arrow Cross Party ( Nyilaskeresztes Párt) were captured and made to announce the formal surrender of the Kingdom of Hungary.

Szalasi_at_people%27s_court.jpg

32年 7月 5日

One Chinese mobile corps was tasted with operation Seal (海豹)the liberation of Denmark. Denmark had been a model protectorate of the Reich with most of the preoccupation government and military remaining intact under the threat of German reprisal. The German divisions that remained in the country had the primary mission of guarding the Baltic from an expected British invasion from Norway not anti partisan operations. The Danish resistance under orders from the Allies had been told to limit itself to small acts of sabotage and information gathering to cause the Germans to underestimate its true size. When the Chinese started moving up the peninsula, the Germans were caught completely flatfooted by the massive wave of bombings and sabotage that crippled their ability to counter the Chinese advance. Most famous of these operations was the battle of Funen where over 100 Danish vessels of various sizes transferred 3000 Chinese soldiers across the Danish straits to successfully outflank the German defenses along the Little Belt Bridge that connected Jutland to Funen. With the bridge in Chinese hands, the Germans would be forced to retreat to Copenhagen.

1943-07-05-attack-odense.jpg

32年 7月 6日

Chinese armies were on the move all across the front. With the victory in Romania, the last bastion of effective resistance was gone. Chinese armies now outnumbered all their opposition in every theater all along the front. Hungary had fallen, and Bulgaria was close to being completely occupied. Germany and Italy alone among the Axis remained defiant in the face of the Chinese advance.

1943-07-06--Europe-1.jpg

China had a unique relationship with Yugoslavia. When China declared war on Germany, the ROCAF had dispatched several squadrons to Yugoslavia to stop the Luftwaffe. The Chinese had been unable to stop the German advance, and they owed the small kingdom a debt of honor that Long Yun was about to repay with the liberation of Belgrade. The German position across the Danube was weak and they were further hampered as revolts broke out all across the city in anticipation of the Chinese arrival

1943-07-06--belgrade-help.jpg

The Chinese had surrounded Thuringia and Saxony in a rapid mobile advance. Almost half of Germany's remaining strength was stationed in occupied France and Spain in anticipation of the promised but never realized British invasion of the continent. The Chinese invasion had caused Heeresgruppe Mitte to reassign the mobile reaction forces to stopping the Chinese invasion. Chinese mobile doctrine had evolved to avoid a standup fight with enemy tanks if at all possible. Chinese troops knew how to deploy and use their T-31 AT rockets to make the German advance cost them dearly but they lacked the firepower to stop it cold.

1943-07-06--kassel-attacked.jpg

32年 7月 7日

Chinese troops would withdraw from their forward positions and await reinforcements.

1943-07-07--kassel-ddefeate.jpg

The conquest of Denmark proceeded apace with an attack on Aalborg. The German defensive deployment focused on a beach defense against a British invasion from Norway and they were ill placed to stop the Chinese advance.

1943-07-07-attack-aalborg.jpg

32年 7月 8日

Back in Bulgariam, the Chinese troops had completed their occupation of the Morava river valley and were poised to strike the Bulgar capital from three directions. The Axis had retreated to take up defensive positions facing east to block the expected approach from the Thracian plain and north to prevent Chinese forces from moving down the Iskar river. While attacks did come from both those directions, their main purpose was to anchor the defense and prevent Axis forces from blocking the Dragoman pass. This allowed Chinese troops to pour in from Serbia and occupy the city behind the main Axis line of defense.

1943-07-08-attack-sofia.jpg

The German advance stalled in the face of Chinese reinforcements coming from the North. The troops still in Thuringia were doomed.

1943-07-08-Kassel-victory.jpg

32年 7月 10日

The last month had seen a 30% reduction in the available German forces but they still weren't surrendering. Worse it seemed as if they're tank commanders, if not the rest of the Heer had finally figured out how to keep their troops out of Chinese encirclements. That said, their was no conceivable way for the Germans to keep the Chinese from crossing into France. Italy was expected to be some trouble but it was hoped that the British would finally start pushing, if only to maintain a foothold in the future of Europe.

1943-07-10-German-power.jpg

Chinese quiz: Name all the nations that have claimed Taiwan in the past 500 years? (bonus if you can put in the dates.)

You also face Croatia, allied with Italy and Germany.

Good progress, I hope you will be able to limit the amount of influence Britain and France receive after the war. Hopefully you are able to liberate occupied France by yourself.

Still one of the best AARs around. Absolutely flawless update - both the picture with the Chinese flag dominating Europe and the 'debt of honour' that China owes Yugoslavia made me giggle with excitement. Can't wait for the new world order!

On another note, how are the former Communists doing in parliament? I seem to remember there's a sort of compromise going on regarding them being allowed to exist as a sort of lefty 'land-reform' party but not as a Maoist hardline revolutionary party?

How to liberate Poland at its prewar borders:
The easiest method is to edit revolt.txt.
change the entry of Poland to read:
minimum = { 485 } #Warsaw
extra = { 303 306 307 479 480 481 483 484 305 486 487 489 488 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 209 208 213 211 210 222
229 562 214 }
That way they get and claim exactly what they had in 1936.
You can do the same to change any other country.
minimum = { capital province number }
extra = { controlled provinces listed in the 1936 inc file under scenarios --1936--country file e.g. germany.inc }
In the "extra" entry, manually remove the capital province so that they don't get cored twice for the same province
I assume you also want to change DFR's entry to match what Germany had pre-war.

Not sure if there's an event to reunite VIC and FRA. So I suggest writing your own 2 just in case
event 1
Your own custom event calling event 2
event 2 is a French event that includes
command = { type = inherit which = VIC }
Fire event 1 at a suitable time from F12
enter in the box that opens up
event [your event number]

Last edited: