• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TheLand said:
Can I make a request?

It would be really helpful if, in Eastern Europe, there were fewer provinces adjacent to the Macedonian/Illyrian starting territory.
What are you suggesting then? Merge already big provinces into even bigger ones or creating more smaller provinces there?

Van Diemen said:
What are you suggesting then? Merge already big provinces into even bigger ones or creating more smaller provinces there?

Probably the latter, with some tweaking of borders.

Part of the problem with spam-colonisation by Macedon is that there are many provinces adjacent to Macedonia and Illyria's starting territory, and that in turn these are adjacent to many more.

Obviously this is inevitable to some extent with the geography of the area. However - to give you an example - there is one province on the Adriatic coast - Scodra IIRC? - which pokes inland quite a bit and has about 5 provinces radiating from it.

So 2 province-steps from that one province takes you very far inland and onto a very large number of provinces.

I might take a screenie and draw some illustrations when I get home later to make it clear what I'm talking about.

TheLand said:
I might take a screenie and draw some illustrations when I get home later to make it clear what I'm talking about.
Yes, please do that. However keep in mind that the province borders need to be historical. While these were barbarian lands and thus hardly had a province structure. Natural barriers should be kept in mind plus of course any later province organisation done by the Romans (they probably had good reasons to divide these lands into provinces, maybe because of the people, resource or natural barriers).

Right, here is an illustration of the problem, I've never won any prizes for Art.

Dark blue are provinces Macedon owns or will soon conquer.
Light blue are provinces adjacent to those - Generation 1 colonies.
Hatched light blue are adjacent to these, and are Generation 2 colonies.
White dots are Generation 3, white marks are Generation 4.

Dacia has a green background.

You can see that a huge amount of territory is Generation 1. By Generation 4 you are touching the Permanent Terra Incognita and are 2 provinces away from the Baltic. This is why Macedon finds it very easy to colonise a huge amount of eastern Europe.

colonygendb9.jpg

My proposal would be more like this. I don't think it plays too fast and loose with the geographical boundaries of the area.

proposedvs2.jpg

The effect is to markedly reduce the number of Generation 1 colonies, and hence increase the number of generations needed to reach further inland, as illustrated thus.

colonygen2dk2.jpg

The reason I'm proposing this is because much of my own modding has been aimed at reducing colony spam, and it struck me that actually the map was very important to doing this in the long term. I suspected that also there would be relatively few good ideas for what to do in Eastern Europe!

Rome Improved Map Project Team looking for skilled artist

We are currently looking for new members that are able to create nice new graphical flags for nations that did not exist or do not have any good reference about their symbols. These nations will be single city colonies, like the Greek colonies in Spain for example.

The person should be able to create new creative flags with a realistic historical appearance. Of course we will provide the person with any information if possible, but if there is non he/she will have total freedom to design the flag.

If you are the one we are looking for please sent me a PM and join our team.

Just to give you an idea what you should be able to cope with here is a picture of a coin from Tyre. We need a flag for Tyre the resembles this eagle, but should not look very similar to the Egyptian flag nor the Roman one.

tyre2.jpg

pierreluc said:
Don't count on me as a consistent artist, but would something like this kind of do?
Something like what?

pierreluc said:
Hummm...went on the site, loaded and pushed host it. Lemme know if that gets me anywhere.

Link to image is http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3841/tyremy4.png
Well, it does look nice. Certainly realistic for those days. Furthermore it doesn't resemble the Egyptian flag too much. I think that's about what we are looking for. The combinations of colours looks reasonable. I must admit it is not the most beautiful flag I have ever seen, but it does the job. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate that you would like to make these flags for the team. Of course it remains difficult to judge you on your work since there hasn't been anyone else who has sent in the Tyre flag. I furthermore have to inform the team about this and wait whether they like it or not, but if there isn't anyone else that can design a better flag I think you may design the flags for this project, if you like of course.

Could someone try to make something nice out of this one too?
image00720.jpg

You may choose both sides of the coin. Thus a flag for Byblos with the lion attacking a bull or the hippocampus are both good. Please send your results to me by PM or post the image here.

P.S: It doesn't need to look exactly like the coins, but it should display the correct symbols. Be creative!

Last edited:
Hi Van Diemen,

no worries about the Tyre flag. I can try to make it a little prettier. I am not looking to become your artist in residence, but I figure if a number of people try their hand at doing your stuff, the community can only win. By all means, keep inviting people to submit appropriate flags.

Is this more "flaggish"?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4762/tyre4oj5.png

Last edited:
pierreluc said:
Hi Van Diemen,

no worries about the Tyre flag. I can try to make it a little prettier. I am not looking to become your artist in residence, but I figure if a number of people try their hand at doing your stuff, the community can only win. By all means, keep inviting people to submit appropriate flags.

Is this more "flaggish"?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4762/tyre4oj5.png
I think I like the other one better. We will use that one. Thank you for your work. Is it possible that you could do the Byblos flag for us too?

Somehow I can't get your great mod to work on my machine. I did like you descripted in the readme, but my provinces show no textures (are blue), although the game creates them during startup.

I then restored my original game and deleted a province texture (p.ex. 100). Then started the game and it created a texture for Syracusae. But ingame the province was just plain blue.

So I think the only way for me to get this game ready would be a complete texture folder. What do you think? :confused:

Salve,
Tobotus

I'm afraid you are right. If you indeed followed up the installation instructions it should work. However it seems that some computers can't handle making new files, but don't be appointed. Once we have finished improving the current map we will release a version with generated textures for all of those who cannot generate them themselves. However the file will become large(about 150 MB) and thus I have chosen to leave the current releases, which are more or less previews, without texture files.