• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know its been a while since I last updated but finally I may present to you what occupied so much of my sparetime since christmas:

map1859.jpg

The map depicts the political situation in South America on 1st January 1859.
Please note that the pacific islands belonging to Platinea are not victoria ingame provinces but are from the HoI2 map.

The map is done with Ulead Photoimpact. I painted it upon several victoria screenshots. Every province is a handdrawn object! That's the reason why it took so long. I'm not satisfied with the look yet but know I have a clean map to use for future updates and mappacks. The old ones were too unclean and pixelated for my taste.
I guess with some more layers it could look like a real map. I have something like this (Great Germany 1848) in my mind.

Before anyone asks. No I won't make similar maps for the rest of the world.

Next update with a full explained map of South America and several maps about Platinea will be posted after 1860 update(s) is/are up. A map of europe will be in "News from around the world: 1860".

Last edited:
Annex the Piratini and the Malvinas! And help Colombia to reunite the Gran Colombia (Including Perú, northwestern Amazonas and the Guyana).

Libertad o Muerte! - Part XXXIX

1859header1.jpg

During the winter of '58 the Yuncos-Crisis as the conflict between Ecuador and Peru was called in the international press became more tense. Ecuador was interested to solve the conflict by arbitration and the peruvian government signaled their willingness to discuss the matter to Quito. After a first round of pointless negotiations it became obvious that a mediator was necessary should the talks have the slightest chance to solve the crisis.
But it became even harder for the negotiators to agree upon an arbitrator than to solve the conflict itself. Ecuador first proposed Platinea as mediator which lead to an outrage among the Peruvian delegates who saw proposal as an affront to their national pride and prestige. To counter the ecuadorian proposal the peruvians proposed Colombia as mediator which sent an uproar through the ecuadorian delegation. The ecuadorians feared that Colombia would not act in the sense of a mediator and seek a compromise or settle the claims in favor of the righteous owner (which in the eyes of the ecuadorian delegates could only be ecuador) but would seek a "compromise" which laid in their own interest. By that the delegates feared Colombia would give all the contested territory to Peru just to weaken Ecuador to invade and annex it in the following years.
After a pause of roughly a month the ecuadorian government send another envoy to Lima with the proposal of Brazil as mediator. In Lima the peruvian government received the proposal with mixed feelings. On the one hand it seemed that Brazil was the most neutral power in southern america in this conflict and had yet avoided any official statements on that topic. But on the other hand the brazilian government itself was very interested in expansion into the amazonas region. Therefore Lima declined the ecuadorian proposal politely without giving any reasons to not upset the brazilian Emperor and government. In Quito this polite but causeless denial heated up the political landscape and the ecuadorian public suspected a delaying meassure of the peruvian government to keep the ecuadorian government in ease while the peruvian army was preparing for war. In fact these suspicions were not unfounded. The peruvian army began drafting in mid december to replenish the losses from the atacama war but these news weren't not known to the ecuadorian or platinean government until February. But nevertheless fear and suspicions about an unprovoked peruvian attack were condensed into paranoia in the highest government ranks in Quito. In early February however the peruvian government proposed the United States of America as mediator. This second peruvian proposal seemed to lessen the expectations of war in Quito. But the ecuadorian government took two weeks to respond. Two weeks in which the telegraph lines between Quito and La Plata run hot. Quito seeked advice from their ally and the platinean prime minister responded that "it could not be in the interest of any south americans[1] to make a northerner without any sensitiveness for the regional & cultural pecularities judge over the welfare of a latin american people [...]". The platinean advice was chiefly driven by the interest of the platinean government to keep the USA out of what they saw as their very own sphere of influence.
After more than three months of inconclusive negotiations the crisis seemed to be more tense than before. In order to prevent any hostilities the platinean king Juan I. proposed to both governments that each should choose a mediator of their own which should act as solicitors for the country they had been chosen. Furthermore these two mediators should agree upon an arbitrator which should be an "international respected country without mutual interest in the given crisis and the southern american subcontinent".
Ecuador initially agreed upon this proposal and with some hesitation Peru did so too. With Platinea and Colombia the disputing parties made their pimary choises to their solicitors. The platinean foreign ministry immediately began to prepare a whole list of possible mediators (with Switzerland, Belgium and Sweden on top) and to establish contact with the colombian government. Both sides agreed upon holding a meeting on March 27th to choose a mediator. But by then war had already broken out.

During the winter of '58 the platinean foreign ministry was not really concerned about the Yuncos-Crisis and all news and reports were proceeded without haste. In various memoranda and sidenotes the involved departements and clerks of the foreign ministry stated that the Yunco-Crisis was a very limited and rather minor affair. The crisis lacked significance to fuel armed hostilities stated the head clerk of the south america department. In Buenos Aires and La Plata one thought it would more likely be a source of diplomatic upset for a limited time period but nothing serious. This might explain the calm with which the foreign ministry handled this crisis which otherwise would seem quite absurd in retrospective.

The Ministry of War and especially the army departement was pretty much occupied with itself. The recent reforms and drafting, equipping, organizing and taining new regular and reserve troops bound many of the resources and the manpower of the ministry's clerks and of the general staff.
As in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs no one seriously believed that the Yuncos-Crisis would erupt into war until February 22nd when the minister of Foreign Affairs forwarded a report from the platinean ambassador Baron Moreno at Lima to the general staff. This report was the first to report Peru's preparations for war, many would follow in the coming days and weeks. The ambassador reported that during the last six months the peruvian army was drafting recruits, predominantly from rural areas to keep their actions secret from foreign surveyors. While their were rumors about drafts in rural areas around for a while no hard evidence could be found in Lima by the staff of the platinean ambassy until late February when the army began recruiting in the city of Lima itself. Baron Moreno reports further that the countryside most likely had been depleted of young men fit for military service which leads to recruiting in the capital. But he also warns his superiors that the regular peruvian army migh had regained its former strength and replaced all losses from the last war as the recruitments in Lima are solely for regiments in the army reserve.
Shortly after Moreno's report was read by officers and clerks of the top level flurry activity broke out throughout the entire ministry. Reports were send back and forth and every departement painted the situation more threatening than the previous one. Within 2 days the whole war ministry was expecting the declaration of war from Peru at any minute. Infantry and cavalry regiments were redeployed to the Peruvian frontier. A plan was developed and put in action that would ensure that at any given time during the next 2 months 2 divisions of the national guard would be on maneuvres and could be send into battle immediately should war break out. Pressured by the general staff the secretary of war ordered the navy departement to rebase all vessels and the "Marine Reales" (royal marines) at the Valparaiso naval base.

1859morenoreport.jpg

Baron Moreno (shown on the left picture) reports increased recruitement of the Peruvian army to La Plata and Buenos Aires in February 1859

The expectancy of war also grabbed many members of the cabinet as well as King and Prime Minister themselves. On February 27th the cabinet concluded to pre-draw the third enlargement of the national guard from September 1st to March 1st. On the very next day parliament passed the bill to raise four more national guard divisions. Literally over night fourtythousand young platinean men were drafted.

1859nationalguard.jpg

On March 1st the third enlargement of the national guard bill went through both chambers of parliament and 40,000 men were drafted to enlarge the platinean national guard.
Since the first report of Baron Moreno many more reports were send from the emabassy at Lima to Buenos Aires. Nearly all of them painted the situation in ever darker shades. The peruvian army was redeployed in large scale to the forntiers, predominantly the ecuadorian one. The reserve regiments were called out for maneuvres and large supply trains were send to refill the army's depots in the border regions.

And then on March 6th Peruvian forces invaded Ecuador without a proper declaration of war. The next day Baron Moreno delivered Platinea's declaration of war to Peruvian president Dioniso.

1859dow.jpg

[1] latin americans from iberian heritage

Viden: The Malvinas are far beyond my reach, it isn't very funny to battle the british behemoth. I could try to occupy and hold some british colonies in southern & middle america as well as africa but it would mean to leave the homeland stripped of division and even if I occupy all of the Capecolony Britain won't meet my demands.

asd21593: An even better one awaits in 1860, should I ever get those updates done.

demokratickid: No probably not :D. Or to put it otherwise: not as long as those warmongerish Peruvians are unchecked.

Cymreag: Welcome. Hope you have seen the new one, too. Hope I can meet your expectations with my updates.

Update maybe in the next two days. Besides my gfx card has been fried and now I'm waiting for my mailorder to arrive so maybe no ingame pics in the near futue.

Viden: The Malvinas are far beyond my reach, it isn't very funny to battle the british behemoth. I could try to occupy and hold some british colonies in southern & middle america as well as africa but it would mean to leave the homeland stripped of division and even if I occupy all of the Capecolony Britain won't meet my demands.

You can't conquer, but you can purchase.

You can't conquer, but you can purchase.

I think the Brits would charge a hefty sum for even one of those godforsaken island specks... :eek:

Viden: Well it would indeed cost me dearly. Even with Relations at +200 it would cost me over 100,000 Pounds (probably considerably more). I guess its due to my badboy (around 15 at the moment).

demokratickid: exactly

Serek: Nice to have you around I hope you will have some fun.

Why not let the badboy go down a bit?

Libertad o Muerte - Pt. XL

1859header2.jpg

Only four days after Peru opened hostilities with Ecuador Piratini jumped on the opportunity of an occupied Platinea and declared war on a defenseless Brazil.
The immediate reaction of the platinean government was to mobilize the reserve troops. As Emperor Pedro II. asked his brother in law Juan I. to fullfill his promise to protect Brazil when necessary Juan bound by his word and the nations honour declared war on Piratini.

With better equipped and trained troops than two years earlier, an able general staff and a well thought through strategy the platinean armies made great headway deep into Peru during the first months of the war. The pace of the platinean advance seemed to be only limited by the marching speed of the troops itself.
The first city to fall was Lima, the peruvian capital itself. On march 26th, after a long artillery barricade from the guns of the platinean frigates, the 1ra División de Infanteria Marinera made landfall at the harbour of Lima. After the harbour fortifications had been taken in a swift infantry charge the Guardia Real disembarked too and supported the Marines Reales occupying the city. Two days later the Ejercito de los Andes followed. On April 18th Lima and its surroundings had been secured. Up unitl June 6th, 90 days into the war, the cities of Cuzco, Atalaya and Jauja had met the same fate. As well as Puno where the marines accompanied by the royal guards made their second landing of the war.
The only real fighting occured on May 16th when President-General Dionisio in a desperate attempt tried to storm La Paz but was repelled by General Roca's Army. Dioniso retreated to Puno, which was already taken by the marines. Being aware that Dionisio's troops were on its way the inhabitants of Puno took up arms and rose against the platinean troops on June 2nd. The rebellion was put down before Dionisio arrived on June 10th. A short but bloody battle broke out in which the peruvian divion was annihilated, but Dioniso and his staff could escape through the wilderness.
By mid August almost all of Peru had been occupied (in Pisco the marines made their third landing). The only pockets of resistance left were Nazca and Arequipa, there the last remnants of the peruvian army fought a forlorn battle against Roca's army.​

1859kriegsverlauf.jpg

As the war against Peru was almost over the better half of the platinean divisions was redeployed to the eastern theatre of war. But while the regular troops were bogged down in Peru, the reserve units had been put into action and deployed in Uruguay along the piratinean border. Until then the piratinean army had made decent gains into Platinea and Brazil.
The generals Urquiza and Arteaga were put into active service again and given command of the 1st and 2nd Reserve Corps. On June 1st the reserve units began their advance upon Porto Alegre on different routes to cut off the platinean army from their base of operations. While the piratinean troops were bogged down in the conquered brazilian and platinean provinces to the north and west the platinean reserve units met no resistance on their advance. As finally General Osorío with the Legion Extranjera, Guardia Real and Marines Reales made landfall at Porto Alegre the war was decided. The cavalry battle at Cuiaba and the battle of Desterro were only minor engagements talking about the involved forces and almost insignificant for the outcome of the war.​

1859kriegsverlauf2.jpg

Both wars ended in total and unconditional surrender of paltineas enemies.
On August 20th President-General Dionisío surrendered to Mitre after the battle of Arequipa, where the last peruvian troops had been defeated.
Two Months later on October 14th the piratinean government acquisced the inevitable and surrendered to Osorío.
The peace terms were dictated by the victors in the treaty of La Plata.
Peru was reduced to Lima, Pisco and Ayacucho. While Ecuador received Peru's three northern most provinces the huge rest was given to Platinea.
The Piratini Republic on the other hand was completely dissolved. The three southernmost provinces were taken by Platinea. Out of the rest were three separate states formed, the Grand Duchies of Cisplatinea, Santa Catarina and Paraná. Which were instituted as suzerain and tributary states to Platinea but in case of the northernmost grand duchy (Paraná) special rights and a part of the tribute were given to Brazil.

1859surrender.jpg

The picture in the center shows piratinean President Bento Goncalves and General Davi Canabero signing the terms of unconditional surrender in the presence of General Osorío (sitting in the foreground right) and Marshal Mitre (sitting in the foreground left). General Eusebio Dionisío is sitting on the far left, as a prisoner of war.

In June 1859 the theory of social functionalism spread to La Plata stating, that every person in society is linked with each other and that the welfare of the proletarian is by some extend linked to the welfare of a lady of the upper class.​

1859invention.jpg

Due to the second phase of the "Support for strategic industries" bill three new factories were founded:
  • Furniture Factory in Asuncion
  • Ammunition Factory in Potosí
  • Fertilizer Factory in Arequipa
Nontheless further factories were founded all over the country:
  • Luxury Furniture Factory in Corrientes
  • Steel Factory in Montevideo
  • Ammunition Factory in Pelotas (Rio Grande Territory)

1859factories.jpg

The picture shows all the newly established factories in 1859.

1859sieg.jpg

King Juan I. visits the troops of the Legion Extranjera near Chalhuanca.

Author's note:
Selfmade event: Piratini Surrenders
Selfmade event: Peru Surrenders

Last edited:
ColossusCrusher: After the wars against Peru and Piratini my bad boy is about 15. It burns of at a pace of 0.5 per year so it would take up until 1890 to reduce it to zero. Well I reduced the badboyscore to zero in the save file to test my theory. I offered the british 250000 pounds for the Falklands but they didn't move an inch. So as for the fact that the Falklands are not a core province of britain I guess it is due to my considerable strength that they decline all offers.

asd21593: Exactly, it is been said that Marshall Mitre should have called it "a splendid little war".

For quite a while I had the feeling that my audience has diminished to three (everyone who read the last pages will sure figure out who is meant). I guess I'm not telling anything new when I say that's quite demotivating. But now with one reply I've reached a new all-time low. And I'm playing around with the idea to call it quits.
I definately will post the 1860 update as well as the 1860 map and the 1860 News from around the world but if/how it goes on from then I don't know yet.

Last edited:
We're all reading, just not posting!