• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have never seen that...don't suppose it could happen, though, since a big part of the warscore count is how many other provinces a nation has. Even when you capture a one-province nation's province, it still only maxes out at 100%, no matter how valuable the province. In my experience, anyway.

Shortly after Baluchistan annexed Fars ( Persia ) I went immediately to war with them.

I could not, for the life of me, get that province away from them. And I had conquered most of their provinces ( Terra incog prevented me from getting them all. )
It was worth 116%

How is that determined? I've never seen the over 100% war score, but I always wonder why some provinces are worth 13% while others can be around 50%.

It doesn't seem that economic value is part of it - at least not a big part? Granted, I usually try to conquer based on economy early (unless I have another goal like unifying a nation event, etc).

Has it been figured? Please point me to a thread if it has. I'd like to get some idea of it.

I have seen a very high amount of warscore to get a province. I declared war on france because I had a core on Paris (they moved their capital) and right after, I checked to see what they would give me for it. Something in the high 80's low 90's

Seyal said:
How is that determined? I've never seen the over 100% war score, but I always wonder why some provinces are worth 13% while others can be around 50%.

It doesn't seem that economic value is part of it - at least not a big part? Granted, I usually try to conquer based on economy early (unless I have another goal like unifying a nation event, etc).

Has it been figured? Please point me to a thread if it has. I'd like to get some idea of it.
I don't know a lot about it, but not having a core on a province doubles its cost to demand. I understand that in NA 2.1 and later, overseas provinces are cheaper than mainland provinces. Otherwise my guess is that it's related to the tax value and manpower of the province - I notice that provinces with COTs are always very hard to demand, and I suspect it's because of the +10 taxvalue.

It would be easy to run a few experiments - just create an event which lets you change one specific province in a few ways, then occupy the province and see what it costs. :)

It seems to be dependant on the Tax-value, Production-value, Manpower-pool, Population, any high-end buildings (including CoTs), Core/non-Core status, and land-connections to the capital.

...would be my educated guess...

I ran a quick test where I invaded Switzerland and looked at the cost of Schwyz province after various changes.

The base cost of Schwyz was 24% warscore. It had a base tax of 7, produced tradegoods with a base cost of 10, had a manpower of 378, and had a population worth 1.0 unit. They had a fort and no other buildings.

I did the following:

(a) Added another fort. The cost went up 2% (to 26%).

(b) Created a COT. The cost went up 20% (to 46%). Note that a COT adds +10 base tax, so this implies that the only "value" of the COT is its base tax (the sum is not greater than the whole of its parts)

(c) Added +1 base tax. The cost went up 2% (to 48%).

(d) Added +1 base manpower. The cost went up 2% (to 50%).

(e) Added a core on the province. The cost did not change (!).

(f) Removed the Swiss core on the province. The cost did not change (!).

From this (limited) experiment, we can conclude:

Provinces cost 2% per point of base tax plus 2% per point of base manpower, plus more for buildings such as forts. In theory, a high-tax, COT province could easily be worth 50% without having a single building.

The closest to 100% I've ever seen is when I tried to capture Rome (which was in the hands of Austria at the time. I would explain, but given that this game had gotten to the point where I as England had inherited all of Castille, then became the largest Protestant state in Europe but had 200 relations with the Papal State ((which I had housed earlier in Vizcaya before deciding to convert)) it would be a bit of a long story) and was shocked to discover that it alone was worth 96%! :eek: Maybe historically prestigious provinces such as it are worth a bit more than others or something, I'm not sure.

Wow, nice testing, dharper - I learned something about the game today :)

Too bad the cores didn't matter. I could see a tactic of using spies to fabricate claims left and right along my path of planned conquest (obviously, smart for other reasons), to make the "price" of them in peace talks drop.

Then again, maybe that's why there is no effect in relation to core status :)

Seyal said:
Then again, maybe that's why there is no effect in relation to core status :)
Having a core allows one to demand a province without controlling it, and I think that might be double the cost (I seem to recall them having very high cost until it's captured, when it cost a lot less).

-Pat

pjcrowe said:
Having a core allows one to demand a province without controlling it, and I think that might be double the cost (I seem to recall them having very high cost until it's captured, when it cost a lot less).

-Pat

doesn't that just imply you have to pay double for a province you haven't occupied?

slaneesh said:
doesn't that just imply you have to pay double for a province you haven't occupied?
Yes, but you can only demand an unoccupied province if your side has a core on it.

-Pat

I always thought that province value was related to the proportion of the empire it takes up. When i say province value i refer to how much warscore it costs to capture in a peace deal not how much warscore controlling it gives. Because 2 province nations tend to have their provinces worth 40%-60% each whilst 20 province nations tend to have their provinces worth 4-6%. Perhaps a percentage of their income or something.

I think cores should work like in EU2. whereby if you don't control it, it costs about equal to non-cores but then halves if you do own it. This would add an incentive for actually taking cores over non-cores in peace deals.

no, your warscore is determined by how much of the hostile country u occupy. occupying 2 french provinces will only give u like 5% warscore. But 2 Brandenburg provinces will deal u around 30%

However to gain provinces in wars you have to pay the full province warscore as explained in this thread :p

so taking down france might take 15 wars :rofl: unless u have multiple enemies bashing him and taking away provinces.

Lubricus said:
Well, in my latest game (as Munster) France has been diplo-annexed by Norway(!), which is now the biggest country in the world! :wacko:
finally the vikings getting what they rightously deserve. Did norway diplo-annex or did they force-annex. Both ways seem pretty impossible :wacko: