• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the difficulty?

I knew you made Europe a little more dangerous. ;) Or else it could be laidback steamroll in year one, right? :rofl: And yeah, it seemed that Trotsky had something to to with the bullet. He should just have used an ice axe! :eek:o

Tsaritsyn was the city where Stalin saw action during the Russian Civil War. The victory over the Whites there was credited to him, and he got the place named after him. 24 years later Hitler couldn't stand for leaving the city alone, and it became a real shithole. :eek:

Last edited:
Mangudai Ah, well, Europe will become a very dangerous place very soon, but I will not tell you any more. And I was wondering how said shithole got its name.

Paradischapterpic.png

Chapter 2

Feburary 1936 saw massive military movements all over the western Soviet Union. The first and second Echolons of the Red Army's Western Military District were moving up into their initial positions on the Polish border. Stalin ordered the Red Army to be ready for War within the next 4 months. Tuchajevskij was privately doubting the Red Armys ability to be ready for war within the next year, let alone four months. He made the mistake of mentoining this to Stalin. Stalin did not say anything at that moment, but Tuchajevskij was not exactly surprised when several men from the NKVD knocked on his door on March 2nd.

05purge.png

The officers purge beheaded the Red Army at a critical moment. The 'dissapearance' of the higher Officer Corps led to the undue promotion of many junior officers that were simply unable to fulfill their duties in the manner required. However many good Officers like G.K. Zhukov and Koniev were spared, partly because they keot their mouths shut, partly because Stalin forgot or ignored them. This would later come back to haunt the dictator, but for the moment he was content that he had sucessfully cleansed the Red Army of Trotzkist elemnts. He therfore concentrated on the preparations for war. The Red Army, Air Force and Navy were woefully outdated when compared with western Armys, despite their nominal size. The Red Fleet was in the worst shape. The Black Sea Squadron, which was boxed in by the turkish could be ignored, the Battlehip Pariskaija Lommuna albeit overaged could handle everything in the Black Sea anyways.

The Baltic Fleet was a different matter. Here the Battleships would face several reasonably large Navies, and maybe even the new Bismarck Class BB's the Germans were working on. Stalin however was no friend of the Navy, and therefore concentrated on the Army and the Air Force. (AN: I will build a Navy, but only after certain techs have been researched, and that is still a bit off.)

The Red Army was currently phasing out Great War eara equipment, replacing it with newer Armaments.

The Red Air Force, which had been yearning for modern Planes recieved the I-16 as a stopgap measure until more modern planes became avaible.

i16.jpg

The Soviet Union was obviously gearing up for war. The World, knowing that something was brewing knew that but could not do anything without war, and no one wanted to challenge the Soviet Juggernaut just yet. In late may STAVKA announced to Stalin that both echolons were in place, strung out between the Latvian border in the north and the Black Sea in the south. That the Red Army had almost no avaiable reserves and that the front would be uncomfortably thin at some points concerned many in STAVKA, but no one had the courage to tell Stalin, as Tuchajevskijs fate was still fresh in the minds.

0606plan.png

STAVKA also realized that this plan was ambitious at least, but once again no one dared to cross Stalin in any way. Meanwhile the dissident faction in the Red Army that had suffered in the Purge but was still functioning with such officers like Zhukov and Blücher in it was growing more and more discontent, but for the moment did not dare to take action as a majority of the officers still stood behind the man in the Kremlin. So the opposition met and decided to stay in the background for the time beeing.

Meanwhile Stalin was fishing for an acceptable Casus Belli, and in June 1936 he had found one by claming Bessarabia and other Romanian territories that that country had seized after the Great War. The Romanians, bolstered by their alliance with Poland and at least Moral support from the west refused.

07claim.png

08krieg.png

going to war with too many countries with the soviets is hard, when i did it i got declarations of war from the allies almost immediately. of course they couldnt actually reach me, so it was ok and they gave up after a while, leaving me to take the whole of europe when hitler turned his back. good luck with the allies, who are terribly eager to fight it seems.

oh and whats actually AH about this? unless theres still things to come it seems pretty much like real life to me. id expected you'd have made trotsky win the war or soemthing.

Sir Kenny At least in the long run.

BritishImperial Well, it is pretty much real life aside from the Polish-romanian alliance, the war against them and the much closer allied-finnish relations.

Almost sounds like there'll be a 1944 or something for Stalin sometime soon... ;) You don't have to answer that. In RL, Zhukov was targeted for extermination, but I think his "mentor" in the Red Army saved him.

You're making this exciting! What will be the fate of the Party?

Did I ever say that I love your ARR's?

Mangudai said:
Almost sounds like there'll be a 1944 or something for Stalin sometime soon... ;) You don't have to answer that. In RL, Zhukov was targeted for extermination, but I think his "mentor" in the Red Army saved him.

You're making this exciting! What will be the fate of the Party?

Lets just say comrade Stalin is in for exiting times.

That reminds me: I have to order Sun Tzus "the art of War" lets see if Amazon has it.

edit: Amzon.de has it, and even in multiple editions. W00t.

Since this is an AH AAR, will we be seeing the return of Trotsky? He was probably the only bolshevik who wasn't a douche, and for some reason I have the idea that he'd be good at making fried chicken.

trotsky_kuva.jpg

FallenMorgan said:
Since this is an AH AAR, will we be seeing the return of Trotsky? He was probably the only bolshevik who wasn't a douche, and for some reason I have the idea that he'd be good at making fried chicken.

trotsky_kuva.jpg

True, and he does sorta look like Colonel Sanders.

Poland and Romania? Well, you'll get to avenge that war in the 20s.

Communism will fail!

In an interesting note, when I went to church, I swear I saw someone who looked just like stalin!

The Art of War? Has it any significance to the WorkAARs Paradise? Brilliant book, lots of goodies in there.

With France (historically) fostering the "Little Entente" in Eastern Europe this is going to be a very big test of their nerve. Theoretically the Romanians, apart from the Poles, can call on the Czechs and the Yugoslavs to also declare war. They should also expect something better than moral support from France, maybe not a declaration of war but certainly arms, supplies and the like. Of course just signing a treaty doesn't guarantee people wont break it when actually called on.

RGB Thanks for reminding me of the 1920's war, I will put that in.

Mangudai Well, it is required reading at Frunze Academy.

Fernando Torres :D

El Pip This update will deal with this.

Paradischapterpic.png

Chapter 3

09allianz.png

The War had started. The Red Army, allthough far from ready quickly pushed into the extreme north-eastern edge of Poland by attacking Swieciany on the first light on June 27th. The Polish Divisions there were brushed aside by massive waves of Soviet Soldiers, and retreated after a brief fight. Blücher, who commanded the Soviet Divisions in the sector, drove into the town, expecting to secure it on July 5th. This went in accordance with the plan for the first month, the first phase of which would be the capture of the Salient along the border of the Baltic Countries.

10salient.png

So far everything went well, and Soviet Propaganda was hailing the "glourious Soviet Soldiers" avenging the war of the 1920's where the Soviet Union had been humiliated and that Poland would finally brought to justice. Then, two days later disaster struck: Polish Divisions, supported by Cavalry attacked weak Soviet positions in Bobraisk. The Motorized and Leg Infantry was routed. Stalin was fourious and threatened to personally shoot the commander of these Divisions, General Kamenev. STAVKA however pointed out that Kamenev, who was one of those who had been put into high command after the purge was too low in rank to effectively command these units, and convinced Stalin to give him another chance, after giving him a promotion to full General, with the order to counterattack and drive the poles from Soviet soil at the earliest possible moment. On June 30th the Red Army also attacked Lina, in an effort to cut the Salient and to creat the first pocket of the War. On July 1st three Divisions also attacked Rowne. The Polish had left only a token force in the province, hoping to drive deep into the Soviet rear from Bobraisk. Had they suceeded in this they would have been able to threaten Minsk, even drive straight onto Moscow, as all the Red Armys reserves were already comitted. Stalin was intent not to let that happen. He issued his famous "not one step back" order, and decleared that the Red Army would defeat the Invaders or die in place. (AN: this might seem a bit extreme, but bear in mind that Stalin is three fries short of a happy meal due to that bullet.) The Peoples comissariat for foreign matters brought grave news on the very same day: France, Britain and even Germany had cancelled the non-agression pacts these Nations had had with the Soviet Union. Stalin was not concerned, he was more concerned with the fact that the Allies pulled Finnland closer and closer to their Allaince and that would put them into a position from where to directly strike at the Soviet Core territory should relations go beyond Antarctic temperatures.

Rowne was secured on July 7th, and this put the Red Army into a position from where it could technically create two pockets, given time and the neccesary forces. Mogilev was also attacked on that day to take pressure off the two pincers and to force the Poles to push their forces around even more. The timetable Stalin had decided on before the war was completely shot to hell, but STAVKA had convinced stalin to leave the operational commanders on a bit longer leash.

12kessel.png

Then disaster once more fell upon the Soviet troops. On July 9th the Poles counterattacked at Rowne in force, inflicting massive casualties on the Soviet Divisions there and forcing them back to their starting positions.