• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, we're almost ready to begin! I have a couple more events I want to add to the mod for this, and we'll get started... look for the first game post sometime next week!

Jan1936map.jpg

And so it begins...

coverbasecopy.jpg

January 2nd, 1936. 8:00 AM Athens time

Alexandros I of Greece climbed up the steps of the refurbished Topkapi of Constantinople and smiled. He was alone, for a moment, and there was time for him to think his own thoughts, and daydream a dream of his own that did not involve his people or the government. His head still throbbed slightly - he'd had too much wine at the New Year's Day Ball the night before, just like he'd had too much wine at the New Year's Eve Ball the night before that. But no matter - he knew his stewards would have cups of fresh coffee waiting for him and his Cabinet in the Green Room.

The Palace was, like in its ancient Byzantine and Ottoman days, a maze. The Green Room was located near the top of one of the many galleries, its walls painted a soothing evergreen, its carpet and furniture reflecting the decor. Since 1926, it had been the formal meeting place of the Cabinet for the Greek Empire.

Finally Alexandros reached the top of the stairs, and turned left, down a richly carpeted and decorated hallway. Two members of the Imperial Guard raised their swords in salute as he passed, and finally he reached the room itself. Everyone was already present - being late was a luxury only the Emperor was allowed.

Almost all that Alexandros wanted to see were present. Firstly there were two of the three Regents who ruled "Greek Dominions" in his name - Boris, Regent of Bulgaria and Zog, Regent of Albania. Boris was the son of the first and only Tsar of Bulgaria - he'd proven amazingly pliant and willingly to do as the Greeks bid so long as he kept his position as Regent. Zog was a nothing who'd been raised up by Alexandros himself. The two were adventurers in their hearts, and had forged a palatable friendship. The only Regent not present was Inonu, of the Turks. He was in Ankyra, celebrating Ramadan with his people. Alexandros had telegrammed him with good wishes.

Then there was the Greek Cabinet itself. Konstantinos Demertzis, the Prime Minister, Ioannis Metaxas, Foreign Minister, Nikolaios Plastiras, Minister of Armaments, Georgios Logothetis, Security and Intelligence, as well as the Ministers for the Army, Navy, and the Air Force.

Alexandros strode into the room, and with a forbidding boom the great doors closed behind him. The Emperor took his seat at the head of the ornate conference table, glanced for a second at the papers set before him, and the looked up with a smile.

"I trust everyone had a enjoyable New Years celebration?"

There were nods and murmurs of agreement.

"Good. Now we get back to business, so let's begin. The army is the oldest, so let's have it present first," Alexandros said, still smiling from the party.

General Alexandros Papagos, Minister for the Army was a tall, slim man, quiet in both demeanor and speech. His face perpetually looked worn and haggard, and he had somewhat of a reputation as a worrier. The Emperor did not mind - sorting through the concerns of a man like Papagos often yielded problems that more confident leaders might ignore.

"Majesty," Papagos nodded. Since the 1934 election, no one even bothered addressing the Prime Minister first. "I come to you today gravely concerned about the state of our Imperial Army."

"Not again," the Navy Chief, Sakellariou groaned.

"We stand clearly as the strongest army in the region outside of Italy," Alexandros said, leaning forward. "We also can call on the divisions of the Regencies of Turkey and Bulgaria at any time. What are your concerns that outweigh these?"

"We are the strongest in numbers, true. We ourselves field some 25 infantry divisions, 3 cavalry divisions, 1 light tank division, and 1 divisional scale headquarters for the Imperial Army."

armyreport4.png

The Regent of Bulgaria then spoke up. "We can add 60,000 infantry and 20,000 cavalry to that total."

"And Inonu's Turkey fields 9 infantry divisions, one mountain division and 3 cavalry divisions," Papagos finished. Papagos turned and glared at Zog, whose face reddened slightly.

"Albania can add three divisions to Your Majesty's imperial armies," he said quietly.

"Militia divisions, Majesty," Papagos clarified, and it was apparent why Zog's face turned a shade of scarlet. Zog looked away slightly, while Papagos continued onwards.

"On paper, this means that Your Majesty has at His command some 44 divisions of infantry of various kinds, 8 divisions of cavalry, 1 of tanks, and 1 headquarters. Yet these numbers do not tell the whole truth - for of our divisions, close to half of the Greek divisions, and most of the Turkish and Bulgarian divisions are ill-equipped. Rifles that saw service in the Great War. Armored cars that did the same. Artillery that still has stamps in French noting they are 75mm. In a modern war, I fear these troops may be wholly inadequate."

"And what of our neighbors?" Alexandros turned to the pudgy Georgios Logothetis, Chief of Intelligence, as well as Minister of Security. The man had graduated with distinction from Athens Polytechnical Institute, was highly intelligent and vicious to the core - and above all, wholly dedicated to Alexandros.

Logothetis carefully pushed his glasses up his nose - the altogether academic look unbecoming the ruthless man who had unearthed scandalous information and had files on everyone present save the Emperor himself.

"From my sources, it is apparent that Italy faces similar problems to us, and the Soviet Union is even further behind. My sources indicate the Italians specifically field the following:"

jan1935italianspyinfo.jpg

"Only 2 fighter squadrons and 2 bomber squadrons?" Alexandros laid the sheet down. "Somehow I find that a nation as large and belligerent as Italy would only field an air force of four squadrons. It doesn't suitably compensate for Mussolini's inadequate size."

The room broke into laughter, and Alexandros smiled. Cabinet meetings could be tense - it was always good to have a bit of relaxation in their midst to keep everyone's minds fresh. After a short amount of time, Alexandros raised his hand, and the guffaws stopped. "In all seriousness, Georgios, those numbers seem inadequate."

Logothetis smiled. "Of course the reports are incomplete, Majesty, but they can serve to paint a broad picture. Personally, I would add at least ten divisions and an additional six squadrons to those numbers."

Alexandros smiled and nodded. Georgios was good about admitting the limits of his prodigious capabilities, something that was useful in a spymaster.

"Now, as for the Soviets:"

Jan1936SovietSpyInfo.jpg

"Once again," Georgios cleared his throat, before pointing at the requisite points on the papers, "I would add about fifteen divisions to the Soviet numbers, and I know for a fact they have another battleship. But nonetheless, in numbers, that is a rough estimate of where we stand relative to them. Indications are that both Italy and the Soviets are fielding troops with roughly the same level of equipment as ours - the Italians having slightly more modern divisions than the Soviets."

"Hmm. Papagos, what would you recommend to solve this problem?"

"Majesty, we need an immediate crash program of modernization," the General said gravely. "With proper support, I could have the army re-equipped within the year, and the soldiers could have trained with their new equipment within six to eight months after that."

"That would require a heavy investment of the economy!" Demertzis moaned. "We are still recovering from the Depression of 1930!"

"It could jump start the economy," offered Nikolaios Plastiras. "Vast new orders for military equipment could prop up the manufacturing industry. I know several armaments makers in Constantinople and Athens that could have huge gains in their production from such orders."

Alexandros thought for a second. "Very well. We'll think on this. Before I commit to anything, I would like to hear from everyone else first. So next I'd like to go to the Navy."

Alexandros nodded to the Navy Chief, Andreas Sakellariou. Sakellariou was a genteel, elderly man who still bore the handle-bar mustache that died in popularity with Alexandros' father some fifteen years before. He still wore his old uniform as an admiral in the Hellenic Navy, despite the fact he'd retired some ten years before.

"Majesty," he coughed, his voice rough and booming, "to be honest I have some concerns with the state of our Imperial Navy."

"Oh?" Alexandros steepled his fingers. He fully expected every armed service to have concerns about the state of their forces. If they weren't concerned, the Emperor would have administered a tongue-lashing on overconfidence.

"We have a powerful surface fleet, Majesty," Sakellariou handed the Emperor several papers detailing the strength and disposition of the force. "We have 7 capital ships, 8 heavy cruisers, 10 light cruisers, and 14 destroyer squadrons..."

navalreport2.png

"A squadron being?" Alexandros flipped through the documents, eyeing every piece of detail, committing it to memory.

"3 ships, Majesty," Sakellariou clarified. "I am concerned, however, about our relationship to the Reggia Marina, however. Their battleline has 8 battleships, while ours has only 3 battleships and 4 battlecruisers. Our only saving grace is the Italians must also watch for the French and the British - but I am concerned about what might happen should the French and British decline involvement in a conflict between us."

"Pah!" Alexandros heard the Foreign Minister, Ioannis Metaxas spit. Alexandros kept his eyes on the Navy Chief, a sign he should continue.

"As you know, our total capital tonnage allowed by the Washington Treaty is 225,000 tons," Sakellariou said. "I sincerely think we should look at new capital ship construction. While granted, Marathon, Platea, and salamis were too outdated to make much of a difference, their retirement means that we now have one less capital ship, and more importantly, less throw-weight than the Italian Fleet."

"Treaty stipulations state we can only have 225,000 tons for a reason, Andreas!" Eleftherios Venizelos, ex-Prime Minister and now Minister of the Air Force, coughed and snarled. "We are already technically above the Treaty limit by some 8,000 tons. What will the other Great Powers think if we abrogate the Treaty and begin new capital ship construction?"

"The moratorium expired four years ago, Eleftherios," Metaxas coolly replied.

"The army needs these resources Majesty!" Papagos shouted! "Look at your reports! We have divisions that have not had new equipment in a decade!"

"The Italians have already begun looking at new battleship designs, as have the Soviets!" Sakellariou complained. "Eleftherios wants all resources to go to his pretty little air force! And how will an Italian army reach Greek soil? Its the fleet that keeps the Hellenes free!"

The verbal sparring came to an abrupt halt when Alexandros cleared his throat.

"Well," the Emperor muttered, "it seems we have a slight problem here." He looked at the numbers and figures again, before making up his mind. "It appears that we do need some new capital ships, yet as Eleftherios pointed out, a Treaty is still in effect. Yet nothing says that we cannot examine new designs - Andreas, have your people draw up some plans, so if -if- we need to engage in a crash program we can."

Andreas smiled happily and leaned back in his seat, glaring at Venizelos in victory. Papagos leaned back as well, satisfied that, for the moment, precious industry would not be taken from his modernization scheme.

"Though Eleftherios, I want to hear from you on how the air force is coming along."

By far the newest of the Imperial armed services and the most untested, the Imperial Hellenic Airforce was the personal pet project of Venizelos during his days as Prime Minister in the 1920s, and even now he remained deeply committed to its existence. Like old, Venizelos rumbled slightly before he spoke, then an eruption of words came tumbling from his mouth.

airforcereport5.png

"Majesty, it is a travesty that the air arm has suffered such neglect!" His moustache quivered. "Our P.1 interceptor designs date from my days as Prime Minister, and our bomber and naval attack aircraft are only slightly newer! If Sakellariou wants an effective Navy, he should want more money to go to the Naval Air arm, instead of sinking money in battleships!" Venizelos' finger was up and pointing towards the Navy Chief. "A battleship can fire its cannons 40 km, one of my bombers can put a bomb the same weight as that shell on a target 500 km away!"

"A battleship is far better armored and more accurate than your piddling little plane!" Sakellariou shot back.

"Hack!" Metaxas offered his own opinion of Venizelos.

Alexandros resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Venizelos still acted imperiously many times, as if he were still Prime Minister, and it was clear the other members of the Cabinet resented it.

"At the very least, Majesty, we should look into the potential of aircraft carrying vessels?" Venizelos offered. "Some of the things the Japanese have done with their fleet have been quite impressive, Majesty. Carriers are cheaper and more powerful than battleships..."

"Hogwash!" Sakellariou snapped. Before the words could become too sharp, Alexandros intervened again.

"Eleftherios," Alexandros sighed, "we do not have all the resources in the world. It is true, a fleet of one thousand planes could likely decimate targets, but we would have no resources left for an army at that point, and a navy worth its weight in paper. However, I will request that Sakellariou and the Navy Staff consider the idea of an aircraft carrying vessel. I am not so sure of their scout value in the confined waters of the Aegean, Adriatic and Ionian Seas, but perhaps some use could come of it. Also, I'm going to instruct several of our more eminent theorists and researchers to come up with some more designs to replace the aged aircraft." Alexandros raised an eyebrow, and Venizelos relaxed slightly.

"Now that the military is done, Konstantinos, we can look at the economy itself. How are we doing?"

The Prime Minister, for the first time in the whole meeting, took the floor. "We are recovering well, Majesty. In terms of raw resource production, we have recovered from the economic crash far more quickly than some other European countries such as France. The Epirus Mining Conglomerate, as well as mining concerns in Trebizond and Adana that opened mines at Your Majesty's urging and with grants from This Government are paying large dividends. Our largest shortfall remains in the field of oil production, and I am confident that with some special trading arrangements, we can overcome this as well."

greekeconomy1936.jpg

"My largest concern, however, is with the economic focus that will be needed to accomplish these military goals Your Majesty has under consideration," Demertzis continued. "Bringing all of our land divisions to strength and upgrading their equipment will detract a significant portion of our economic output for the next year at least. It might be possible to reduce consumer goods through grants and outright coercion to a degree to compensate, but I fear a great deal of our productive capacity will be tied up in these upgrades. No doubt the average Hellene will not like losing some of their luxury goods, even if they understand it is for the national benefit."

Alexandros nodded. "I understand that. However, I want you to make some economic miracles happen for me. Cut back consumer production a bit, but not so much as to incur dissent, and focus our economy, for now, on rebuilding the army and air force. I fear war might be coming far sooner than we'd like."

Ioannis Metaxas, Foreign Minister and a general in the army, cleared his throat and nodded. He was a short, almost rotund man, that outside of his uniform looked positively grandfatherly. Those disarming looks however hid a cold and calculating mind, someone capable of coming to ruthlessly simple decisions when necessary. As a Foreign Minister, he was average at best - his bluntness tended to turn away the more effete of Europe's diplomatic corps, but it kept him occupied. He, above any other man in Greece, was one that Alexandros feared might marshal support to disturb the current arrangement of power.

"Diplomatic relations with Italy have reached a new all-time low. Only last week in his New Years Address Mussolini delivered a speech declaring Your Majesty a 'usurper of the Roman throne,' despite assurances of all kinds that we make no claim to the Roman mantle and are happy with our current arrangements. He also continues to press claims to Albania, as I am sure Regent Zog can attest."

Zog nodded emphatically. "The man is a short angry freak."

"Nonetheless, he controls Italy," Alexandros prodded Metaxas to continue.

"Yes, sadly he does. The Italians clearly view us as their primary enemy in any upcoming war, and there's little my office has been able to do about that. The Soviets, our other big concern, seem more worried about Germany than a monarchical Greece on their border. And I'm perfectly fine with that arrangement."

"Were there any more signs of a possible rapproachment between Italy and Germany?" Demertzis asked. Both nations ascribed to fascist principles, and for many it seemed only a matter of time before they fell into each others bosoms.

"Not yet," Metaxas replied. "Mussolini views himself as the founder of fascism in Europe, and still occassionally refers to Hitler as a protege, something the German Fuhrer detests. That issue alone will take some time to iron out."

"What about the West?" Alexandros asked. Greece had always planned in the event of a war with Italy that she would appeal to Great Britain and France for help. Greece had been a strong ally of the two during the Great War, and there'd been a plaintive hope that this would be reciprocated if the time came.

"Great Britain and France are too occupied with their own problems to care much for us," Metaxas said dourly. "They wish us well, but I sincerely doubt they would come to our aid should war break out. So we will be left much to our own devices."

A slight murmur arose around the room, yet Metaxas gave a rather fierce smile. "Nonetheless, Majesty, I have a possible solution to this dilemma. Two in fact - Yugoslavia and Romania!"

"How will they help?"

"Yugoslavia is still very pleased with our gift of the Marathon and the Yavuz some ten years ago," Metaxas named the dreadnought and former Turkish battlecruiser that Greece had sold to Yugoslavia to stay under the stipulations of the Washington Treaty. "King Peter and his government are also fearful of Mussolini - the man does not know when to shut up, and he's lodged claims on the Adriatic coast as well - and Romania as always is wary of the Soviets. They do not have our intelligence capacity, and there's a fear the Soviets could lumber over the border any day."

"So we bring them into our fold?" Alexandros asked, a smile coming to his own lips. It was a rather simple solution - binding the entirety of the Balkans into one great alliance. At once it accomplished the Great Power goal of putting an end to the possibility of Balkan wars, and it would give Greece several strong allies - together Yugoslavia and Romania had another 30+ divisions.

"Yes. Yugoslavia will be easy," Metaxas said, "as they know we share their fear of Italy. Romania will prove to be a little more difficult, but I am confident, Majesty, I can bring them into our fold given time and resources."

"Ah. Well, to be sure, I want you to take Eleftherios into any of your plans with Romania," Alexandros said, much to Metaxas' chagrin. "He has extensive connections inside the Romanian government, and he will help you, right Eleftherios?"

Venizelos looked like he'd swallowed something unpleasant, but nodded.

"Ioannis, I like your idea. I want it to happen. Make it so," Alexandros said simply. He looked around the table. "Is there any more business?"

Silence.

"If not, Boris, Zog, I need you to stay for a moment, and update me on how things are progressing in the Regencies. Boris, I can tell you right now I can make the state visit to Sofia as planned, and yes Zog, I will make a trip to Tirana this year..."

And thus the first Cabinet meeting of the New Year ended.

Last edited:
Battleship worth their weight in paper. Now that is a line I like!

An anti-Italian alliance could very well mean war with Italy in a year or two.

Best to start giving the infantry their new rifles now...

woot, balkan league!

Don't join the axis, Greece is too good for fascism.

I must say that those peices of paper you have posted as pics are pretty awesome.

I wonder how receptive the Yugoslavs and Romanians will actually prove. In Yugoslavia's case the Italian menace is sure to help out but I can't see many people there being happy about Greek hegemony in the region, especially given Greece's occupation of Macedonia, lands that I'm sure the Serbs view as their own. Plus there's the catholic groups in the northern part of the country, like the Croats, who might not like working with an Orthodox monarchy. Romania should be a somewhat better ally, certainly would go a long way towards solving your oil problem, until it drags you into conflict with Germany, the Soviet Union or both. Tread carefully my friend!

slokiller - Glad you like it! Hopefully you find the ongoing updates as entertaining!

VILenin - We'll see. The Yugoslavians would have several mixed pulls on the subject of a Greek alliance. Alot will depend on if the Croats get signals early enough from Germany that they could achieve independence if they side with the Axis... as we know Mussolini's urge to conquer "Dalmatia" might preclude the Italians thinking of this...

likk9922 - Those pieces of paper look cool, but were a pain to make. I had to eventually save them as PNG files to allow them to show up like that, rather than with a background. That said, I have the template made now, so I'm going to be using them again, with less fuss. :)

wilegfass - Thats a decision that might be made down the line. If, for example, Germany offers to corral Italy, joining the Axis might prove ideal for many uber-nationalists in this Greece. The Megali Idea has already been achieved, the extreme right now is thinking of something far greater...

Fulcrumvale - It definitely will - unless there's a German intervention or something. Greece has many things going on that makes it aligned rather closely with the Axis politically in terms of ideology and government - its just that little heritage problem with Italy...

stnylan - I believe the line is a "navy" worth its weight in paper. :) Sometimes Alexandros has to talk down Venizelos a bit... glad you liked the line :)

Next update will be up sometime this week, and in it we'll see Greece's first moves, as well as war plans should Italy attack...

coverbasecopy.jpg

June 14th, 1936

Alexandros looked at the world flashing outside the window and smiled.

The King had been a race car aficionado since hi youth, and even if his days of driving such cars were long over, he still appreciated the speed of a fast car. The Duesenberg they were driving in was specially ordered from the United States at great expense, but he felt the roadster’s performace, especially with four people inside, more than justified the cost.

It had also played well in the papers. A racing car for a racing Emperor, some had said. It all made Alexandros smiled, even if the engine roared at horribly loud levels when the car was going at speed – which their caravan was doing towards Mount Athos. Five cars from the Imperial Security Service, which Alexandros had christened the Hetaratoi in honor of the famous soldiers and comrades of his namesake, Alexandros Megos, as well as a car full of public dignitaries and another with the leaders of the Konstantinopolis branch of the Greek Union Party.

"So, Konstantinos, what have we done?" Alexandros shouted over the rumble of the Duesenberg's engine. It chafed him not to be in the driver's seat, but Demertzis threw an enormous fit, and the Emperor conceded to sit in the back if only to get the old man to shut up.

The Prime Minister was clearly not used to this kind of meeting. Sweat poured off the old man's brow as the line of cars took another turn at faster than recommended speeds. "Uh um... well, Majesty," Demertzis said quietly, before realizing the noise. "Majesty!" he shouted to be heard, and opened his briefcase, "I have several reports I think you should see!" Alexandros hid the urge to smirk as the old man ruffled nervously through the various papers.

Konstantinos made the perfect front-man for the ultra-nationalist Greek Union. A respected professor and academic, gifted with words but rather devoid of thought, he made an excellent lightning rod. Criticisms of the Greek Union were directed at Demertzis and Metaxas, the other major member of the Party, and not the real power behind the Greek Union.

Alexandros himself.

Finally Demertzis found the papers he wanted, and thrust several of them into the Emperor’s hands.

“Majesty, this is a brief outline of what research we started after the first cabinet meting. As you can see, we started looking at carrier designs, better infantry weapons, factory production…”

techreportpage.png

"So this is what we were researching," Alexandros looked the papers over, before handing them back to Demertzis. "What are we looking into now?"

"Well, as you can see, Papagos changed his mind - he's updated some of our artillery designs instead. Now that those are done, he's moved on to how to implement some new anti-aircraft artillery designs the Albanians gave us!" Demertzis flipped to another sheet. "Skoutarios at the Nikomedia Design Bureau tells me that they're close to a working, if elderly, carrier design, and GNAF is approaching a working prototype for their new monoplane fighter design!"

"Does it have a designation yet?" Alexandros asked, snatching the papers.

newfighterreportpage.png

"Tenatively it will be known as the P.2 design, Majesty!" Demertzis replied. "Its performance is far better than our current aircraft, and will put us on par with other nations in Europe! I doubt this will stop Eleftherios from demanding more money and research, however!"

"It'll please him for five minutes though!" Alexandros laughed, looking at the design. It looked modern indeed. Gone were the cumbersome straps, wires and struts needed for a biplane. All that was left was a sleek, metallic eagle, streamlined and prepared to take alight with deadly speed. Its modern looks made Alexandros' heart beat faster. Immediately, he wanted to fly one - despite the fact he didn't know how to fly.

"I also have a report from the Navy design bureaus. As you said, Majesty, we should look at expanding the Navy! I have here design specifications for two battleships to bolster our surface fleet!" Demertzis handed the papers to Alexandros.

Kilkisreport.png

"Good! You already started construction then!"

"Yes!" Demertzis tookt he paper back. "We're doing the work serially at the Nikomedia Shipyards, Majesty! That way, should we have a change in production priorities later on, we can slow work on the second but still have one ship in service! Also it will let us iron out the kinks in the design!"

"Excellent! The ships are a tad small though!"

"I know Majesty!" Demertzis replied. "28,000 tons is a little over half the size of the Alexandros Megos, but the naval attaches tell me this means that production time per vessel will be far shorter, and with our more modern gun technology, they should outrange the Italian Navy handsomely!"

"What about the Washington Treaty?"

"The Japanese are rumored to already be building two ships that would dwarf what is allowed under the treaty! Italy is looking at new designs, as are the Americans, the British, the French, and the Germans! We're merely taking things a step further!" Demertzis called.

Alexandros laughed harshly. He had little use for the treaty back when it was signed - but then again, he wasn't in charge back then. Venizelos had been.

"So this is the only thing under construction right now?" Alexandros asked.

"Yes!" Demertzis shouted back. "Here is a chart of the economy!"

greekeconomyposttrade1926.png

"As you can see, Majesty, we've dedicated most of our free economic power to three things! One, continuing to build supplies to trade for raw resources! Two, reinforcing understrength divisions, and three, upgrading the Army and Air Force as you specified!"

Alexandros looked at the papers. "Are these up to date?" he shouted.

"No! They're several weeks old! My staff is tabulating the more update to day numbers for the second quarter as we speak!" Demertzis shouted back. Alexandros could tell he was starting to become hoarse. It was only a short while longer before they reached Salonika.

"You mentioned trades! Ioannis has been simply telling me that he's been making some wonder deals, and I noticed on this sheet that our oil is now in the positive! How did this happen?" Alexandros asked. "I want to know the nitty-gritty details - Ioannis claims they would bore me!"

"Very early on, Ioannis made a deal with the Saudis!"

"The who?"

"The Saudis!" Demertzis shouted again. "The Bedouins that chap Lawerence of Arabia helped free!"

"Ah!" A puzzled look came over Alexandros' face. "What on earth was there in Arabia for us to trade for with them?"

"Oil!" Demertzis yelled. "They wanted only a few supplies for it as well! We've done some other trades with the British, the Yugoslavians and South Africans to gain extra metals and money, as well as some energy sources and raw materials!" Demertzis delivered a smile. "Ioannis also says that he had an important announcement to tell you when we finally arrive!"

“Really?” Alexandros had never had much use for Metaxas, but the General was popular with the army and the people, and adding his voice to the Greek Union had helped ensure its popularity during the early, somewhat rocky days.

"And as you know, Italy annexed Ethopia on April 6th," Demertzis finally shouted. Alexandros nodded grimly, as the smell of something acrid crept into the cabin. The Emperor recognized the faint scent of a caburetor firing out of tune.

ethiopianewspaper.jpg

"Tell Ioannis I want some options on the table for hosting an Ethiopian government in exile!" Alexandros said after a second. "One Orthodox monarch to another! It'll be a good way to thumb our nose at that short Italian bastard as well!" The act would round up support amongst the nationalists for sure - any act that defied something the Italians did lately would galvanize the nationalists behind the monarchy. Considering the world condemnation of Italy’s move, perhaps it might increase Greece’s standing as well. "Perhaps open up one of Our homes in Athens to Selassie!"

Demertzis nodded.

“Majesty, the rally we’re attending should be the largest to date!” Demertzis shouted. “50,000 people! It would surely be an opportune time to announce the new plan!”

“I haven’t yet agreed to the new plan!” Alexandros snapped, his happiness suddenly changing to annoyance. “No, I will not announce anything on that subject here!”

“But you know that both Plastiras and Metaxas are giving speeches both giving their approval of Megas Megali!” Demertzis replied.

“You know I don’t even like that name!” Alexandros grumbled sourly. The car was slowing down, and the roar of the engine was quickly dying away. “It butchers the Hellenic language!”

“What better way to describe…” Demertzis began in his mildly displeased tone – the tone he undoubtedly took with students who were late with their homework in days past. Alexandros rolled his eyes and looked out the window.

“…and so, Majesty, when we arrive…” Demertzis droned on.

“Which we’re doing right now?” Alexandros said, looking outside the vehicle. The images of a small village under siege flashed by outside as the caravan slowed down. A few small houses were surrounded by cars, buses, bicycles and all the other detritus of modern transportation. As soon as the official roaster stopped, Alexandros spotted a movie film crew off to the left, and made sure when the door was opened he turned and waved in that direction first. He didn’t bother speaking – anything the microphones might have picked up would’ve have drowned out by the resulting roar of the crowd.

The Greek Union Party’s largest rallies were always staged in some location of cultural significance, and as the Emperor walked towards his Foreign Minister and a slew other other Greek Union dignitaries, the bulk of Mount Athos loomed in the background. Metaxas had cabled just before they left Konstantinopolis, estimating that over 50,000 might be on these plains, ready to hear the leaders of their Party and their Emperor speak to the future of all Hellenes.

"Greetings, Majesty!" Ioannis gave the quick, half bows that Alexandros was now used to from him. The other delegates executed full, formal bows, and yet again the crowd roared.

“Ioannis,” Alexandros nodded, shaking the Foreign Minister’s hand, immediately turning towards the small slew of reporters. Flashbulbs erupted before Metaxas could turn belatedly.

“Konstantinos says you have some good news?” Alexandros gestured towards the distant podium amidst the sea of people.

“Yes, I do!” Metaxas beamed. "Eleftherios came with me to Belgrade, and we had several long discussions with the Yugoslav government," Metaxas grinned inanely. "And I'm pleased to announce to you that Yugoslavia has agreed in principle to a defensive military alliance with our government!"

greekyugoslaviaalliance-1.jpg

Alexandros flashed a grin. “Excellent!” A woman from in the crowd was holding out a baby. The Emperor reached over and gently touched the child’s head in sign of benediction. The crowd roared again.

“Now, we had to agree to some extra trade agreements,” Metaxas was still supremely proud of himself. “I also greased a few palms, and made a promise to King Peter’s government that we would share some technology with them once they allied with us!” With all the noise, even though Metaxas was shouting, no one but Alexandros and Demertzis, walking directly next to them, could hear him.

“What technologies?” Demertzis asked warily.

“A few things related to better destroyers,” Metaxas shrugged. “I’d recommend that we should share some army technologies with them.”

“Yes, bulk up their forces since in any war with Italy they’ll be directly on the frontline in Venezia!” Alexandros agreed. Part of his long-standing wish was accomplished – one of the two other Balkan powers was tied to Greece.

Alexandros was still grinning in supreme triumph, when he felt an insistent tap on his shoulder. The Emperor turned, and saw a rather grave looking Eleftherios Venizelos behind him, looking more haggard and older than ever.

“Yes?” Alexandros asked.

"What he is not telling you is that the Romanians turned him down," Venizelos said directly into the Emperor’s ear.

greekromaniarefusesalliance-1.jpg

“I am worried about Metaxas,” Venizelos continued, “he is amassing a great deal of power in the Foreign Ministry, and this coupled with his contacts in the army and his position in the Greek Union Party…”

Alexandros smiled, even as his eyes looked warily on the Foreign Minister, who was now walking ahead of the Emperor, waving to he crowd, shaking a few hands. Alexandros’ eyes narrowed as he waved himself.

“Romania failed because Metaxas was late to a meeting with King Karol,” Venizelos added. “Something completely outside his punctual character. I noticed at a formal gala the night before he was spending an inordinate amount of time speaking to the German ambassador to Romania…”

Alexandros frowned for a second, before covering the emotion in the presence of the crowd. A smile quickly returned to his face. Now was not the best time to discuss these affairs. “We’ll discuss this later, Eleftherios.” Alexandros waved to the crowd, leaving the disgruntled ex-Prime Minister behind.

Well, not all the diplomatic iniatives can be successful.

The German ambassador? I smell treachery afoot! I think Metaxas should quickly be reassigned to some prominent but powerless position, at least for the time being.

And do I detect a reference to your other AAR? A namesake of one of the characters, perhaps? ;)

I’m not sure that stop-gap battlecruisers are the best option available, but whatever….

bluelotus - Thank you! They're fairly easy to make in photoshop, I plan to keep on using them!

stylan - Yes... and one failure doesn't mean I won't keep trying.

VILenin - Hmm... read below. :)

Fulcrumvale - They're two level 3 battleships - the Greek Navy is seriously outgunned by the Italians, and even with Yugoslavia on my side, right now there looks to be a Isonzo Line repeat in Venezia unless I can get a fleet together to break the Italian one and land troops in Taranto or some other place to distract the Italians in the north, and/or create a new front. Just guesstimating from looking at the map itself.

And as a teaser for you guys...

=========================================================

41sd5.jpg

The Reich's Chancellery

June 18th, 1936
Berlin

There was a dull rustle as everyone present rose, and the hurried clicking of military boots on marble echoed up and down the halls of the Reichskanzlerrie. After a few minutes, the form of Adolf Hitler, Fuhrer und Kanzler of the German Reich, blew into the room. All present looked directly ahead, until they heard the rustle of the chair at the head of the cabinet table. Every meeting of the Reich's cabinet started with this formality.

"How did Kaiserich's meeting go?" Hitler asked as he took his seat.

"Well," Konstantin von Neurath, the harried German Foreign Minister sighed, "Metaxas is simultaneously claiming great gains and that he needs more support. The Party he started is growing exponentially, and he says that with more funding, he could be in a position to push aside Emperor Alexander as the decision making factor."

"How much money is he asking for?" Deputy Fuhrer Rudolf Hess asked.

"10 million Reichsmarks," von Neurath said.

"What?!" Hess jumped in his seat.

"von Bock, why should I care about the Greeks again?" Hitler asked after making a sour face.

"The Greeks and the Yugoslavians together possess some 70 divisions, a sizable air force, and a large, potent battlefleet, one the equal of the Italians, roughly," General von Bock, Chief of the German General Staff said. "This new 'Balkan League' sits on our southern flank, and we know for sure the British have made some deals and arrangements with them. If war breaks out,"von Bock was among the few that still used the conditional, not the future, "they could be a potential knife in our back. In my opinion, Mein Fuhrer, we need to take steps to ensure either a, their neutrality in any future conflict, b that they join us in any future conflict, or c, that they are eliminated."

"Seventy divisions?" Hess murmured.

von Bock nodded. "At our best estimate. That is added to six interceptor units, three tactical bomber units, and two naval bomber units, not counting what the Yugoslavians field. Together they more than match Italy."

"Britain's Mediterranean Fleet looks a little outgunned!" Hitler smiled dimly. "If only the two could see eye to eye."

"Yes one would think they could be a natural ally for Germany or our Italian 'friends'," Hess started to say. At the looks from those around the table, he cleared his throat and clarified. "Not in the purity sense, but they eschew the weakness of democracy, they abhor communism, and their choice of government - a strong, centralized regime..."

"Around a monarch!" Hitler spat on the ground.

"That can always be changed," Hess smiled darkly. "Mussolini usurped control from Vittorio Emmanuel, did he not?"

"True, but is there a Mussolini in Greece?" von Neurath asked. "We would need someone that would listen to Germany, and not run roughshod like the Italian. And someone that isn't a catamite of that Alexander, either."

"Yes," Hitler grumbled. "We need Greece." Der Fuhrer looked up at the map again, ideas popping in his mind.

"We need Mussolini to see past his petty little rivalry," Hess grumbled. "Yes, the Greeks technically claim the Roman Imperial throne, but their claim on it is as laughable as that little Italians." Everyone knew where the true Reich
lay.

Hitler chuckled darkly. He personally found Mussolini rather irritating. The Italian called himself the "Father of Fascism" and still treated Hitler as a protege, and not an equal. That, coupled with his irascible disposition, were the main reasons Hitler still did not consider the Italians true allies. That irritation had only grown once word got out that the Greeks and the Yugoslavians had formed an alliance. Mussolini's gesticulations were causing another potential power bloc to rise in Southern Europe - Ambassador Kaiserlich reported that the Greeks were already talking to the Romanians as well, and that if it hadn't been for an intentional snub by the Greek Foreign Minister, Romania would have joined the Balkan League - some 100+ divisions along Germany's exposed southern flank.

Hitler was not a strategic genius, by no means, but even he recognized that von Bock was right. Germany needed assurances that Greece and her allies would remain neutral in the coming conflict, at least long enough that France could be beaten, the British brought to the negotiating table, and the Soviets decimated. With each passing saber rattle from Mussolini, those assurances decreased.

"What of the Greeks as allies, for the short term?" Hitler asked aloud.

"Ah, Mein Fuhrer," von Neurath said hurriedly, "they will undoubtedly be wary of any such overtures we make to them officially. It would be better if we went through the original plan with Metaxas. If..."

"The way I see it," Hitler interrupted his Foriegn Minister, "Italy has eight battleships in the Mediterranean, getting the alliance with the Greeks and the Yugoslavians will get us seven more capital ships, 600,000 more soldiers, all directed at the vulnerable underbelly of the British EMpire in Africa." In the Fuhrer's mind, the idea made perfect sense. A united Axis fleet of seventeen capital ships, if one counted the two elderly ships owned by the Yugoslavians, could sweep away the British Mediterranean fleet, and the extra soldiers could directly press on British and French holdings in North Africa and the Middle East, drawing precious resources away from Germany's targets in continental Europe.

Not to mention the ultimate prize - the Suez Canal.

"Of course, Mein Fuhrer," von Neurath backed down. It was apparent the Fuhrer's mind was made up - and like a good bureaucrat, von Neurath deferred to his superior.

"Contact Metaxas, offer him whatever he wants and needs to get the Greeks on our side," Hitler ordered, "and find some way to get that short Italian to shut up!"

"Yes, Mein Fuhrer," von Neurath saluted, recognizing the tone of dismissal - the Fuhrer was given to dismissing ministers immediately after he was done with them, regardless if there was other business left. As he left, von Neurath started to wring his hands and run them through his hair. Hitler had ordered the impossible - how was von Neurath going to make it happen?

The Rome-Berlin Axis might never exist at all given the tensions between Italy and Greece.

Alexandros has already wrong-footed one would-be power-holding democrat. Metaxes better be sure, but somehow I doubt the quite has the level of support he is pretending.