• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Saxony in 1.06 has a ton of new events, I personally did, Poland, and Saxony though. Poland is a tad to blank for my tastes atm, but Saxony should have events all the way til the end of the 17th century in 1.06. If you guys wait til the said release date. Saxony will be a struggle, it isn't even a kingdom until you take over a large number of territories in germany!

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that other 'good' nations to play with lots of events are: Byzantium, Caliphate, Teutonic Order *is really buggy, until 1.06 fixes!*, and Al-Andalus. If you're playing with 1.06, I'd also mention Saxony, most european nations run out of events by the mid 16th century, the nations I listed above don't.

Olav, you doing another one of these? I'll gladly join in. Don't know how regularly I can post as I currently don't have internet from home, but I usually get on here a few times a week. I'd be glad to play at least a few rounds if we can get enough players together and if the pace is similar to last time. Anything that allows at least a good 48-72 hour turnover once somebody has taken the save file could work for me. What you've suggested sounds pretty good so far.

Only I'd suggest a more moderate line with the turn length though. Maybe 20-25 years. That would allow 4 players 4 or 5 turns each. Its just that I don't know if I could find the time to write a 50 year turn update that is properly informative.

Interregnum Saxony might be an interesting game for us. We could always add some fancy goals or house rules if we're afraid of it being too easy over the long haul.

Genoa, Ragusa sound good too. Byzantium is always fun, but constitutes the plurality of AARs in here as it is. Caliphate might be a little similar to our last SG, despite the different mod.

Hey, nice to hear that you will join in, Brian. :) We should at least have one more player before starting to talk about beginning to play, though. And I guess we will in any case wait for the 17th for 1.06 (17rd, panther? :D). Or should we play with 1.05? What do you say?

As both you and Mega Death suggested that the turn length should be around 20/25 years, I'll concur with that. But if anybody wants to play more (or less!) than that, I won't stop them. :)

I'll put Saxony up on the alternative for nation-list. Thanks for the other suggestions, panther! Will you participate, by the way?

Caliphate sounds interesting, but as you said Brian, it will be a little similar to our last SG. :)

Nice! Then we'll wait a week. Hope that's okay for you, Mega Death.

In the mean time, shall we try out some of the nations mentioned on our own? I've started a game as Genoa, so will some of you try for example Saxony or Hanseatic League? I know that this takes away some of the "surprises" in the SG, which can be both a good and bad thing... But then again, it is nice to know which event-options that are bad and good.

Olav said:
Nice! Then we'll wait a week. Hope that's okay for you, Mega Death.

sure thing

Olav said:
In the mean time, shall we try out some of the nations mentioned on our own? I've started a game as Genoa, so will some of you try for example Saxony or Hanseatic League? I know that this takes away some of the "surprises" in the SG, which can be both a good and bad thing... But then again, it is nice to know which event-options that are bad and good.

nah, I think I'll just wait for surprises

Panther, I saw a thread about Cossack Hetmanate or Halych Volhynia, indicating they'd be hard. Maybe not as many events, but you think either of those would be worth considering?

Olav said:
In the mean time, shall we try out some of the nations mentioned on our own? I've started a game as Genoa, so will some of you try for example Saxony or Hanseatic League?

Well, I've played (albeit way back in 1.02) Eire and Byzantium. Eire gives a good, but easy game focused on colonization. Byzantium had even then an interesting story line, and a lot of room for expansion.

I might try a few decades as Ragusa or something if I get an opportunity.

Olav said:
I know that this takes away some of the "surprises" in the SG, which can be both a good and bad thing... But then again, it is nice to know which event-options that are bad and good.

Yeah, good idea. Might as well allow all out looking at the event files for this one too, since Panther can't help to be familiar with what's going on anyway. Better to let everybody who wishes be on the same page, than to worry whether removing the element of surprise is unfair. ;)

Cossack Hetmanate or Halych Volhynia (we need to find abbreviations for them (yeah yeah, CH and HV will do :p)) sounds very interesting - especially HV. IIRC they're Catholic, next to a bunch of Orthodox nations. A fun goal could be to convert all those nations to Catholic ourselves and/or by using vassals. The fact that they don't have many events shouldn't prevent us from playing them, I think. Events have a tendency to clutter up many of my plans in regular games. ;)

I would be happy if you have some suggestions for some goals as well (for any or a specific nation). Preferably some goals that will keep us occupied throughout the game.

I've played around 70 years with Genoa, and it have been a fun game up until now. Many interesting events! However, both my armies and navies get crushed by my enemies. The main reason is due to that I don't have Offensive Doctrine and I'm not land-based... but still... - does Tlemcen and Al-Andalus have +1 shock, panther? I could check the savefile, but I'm too lazy right now.

Yeah, after looking a bit closer, Cossacks sounds better than VH. And conversion of Orthodox didn't sound easy with VH:

Don't bother trying to convert orthodox provinces, there are events that will counter this, as any attempt to enforce catholicism in the orthodox regions would mean rending the country apart with civil war."
:D From the first event they get.

Oh, another argument for reading through the events: then we don't have to take a screenshot of the events, since everyone will be aware of what's going on. It's so bloody tiring to do the process of going through Paint all the time to save the event-screenshots. :p

I think I will try 50-100 years with Cossacks, to see how it plays out.

Thanks for the PM Olav!
I don't wander here all too often lately, thus I couldn't notice this thread earlier. I can't say yet if I can become a regular player in this, for most of the playing time I have is in the weekends (like everyone else's, I presume). Though I will make sure to let you know that I can play if I indeed do :).
Interregnum is a nice choic of mod... Don't know how developed (in terms of monarch/leader/event lists) the nation is, but I'd be tempted to vote for Ragusa - all the other nations you guys mentioned I've played at least a few times each, back in the days of Aberration, then in older versions of Interregnum and in A4K test games.

Another possibility for me would be the Union of Kalmar, it's pretty hard at the start. Same for Finland.

I had expected you earlier, that's why I sent a PM. ;)

Playing a turn now and then shouldn't be a problem. It worked fine in the other SG, so hopefully it will do so here too.

A bad thing about Ragusa is the lack of leaders. They get no one at the moment (nudge, nudge, panther). Finland and UoK sounds like good suggestions.
Since we have a fair share of suggestions now, should we start thinking of voting on a nation to play? I think we could have two votes each, just to make things interesting. :p You can vote for the same nation twice if you like to. Does this sound okay?

Proposed nations so far:
Saxony
Hanse
Ragusa
Bavaria
Byzantium
Genoa
Poland
Teutonic Order
Al-Andalus
Cossack Hetmanate
Halych Volhynia
Finland
Union of Kalmar

Caliphate was also mentioned, but I don't think we should include it as mentioned earlier... One more thing, it's not necessary but I would be happy if you include a specific goal for the nation you will vote on (yeah, I know I nag alot about it).

I'll have to think about this for a while. I actually considered suggesting Finland, but I wondered if it would be too large to start and therefore too easy. Played about ten years with them though, and it could be a good game. There won't be any early-game "I hope I can survive" moments, but if Kalmar, Byzantium, and T.O. are in the running, they could be.

So, I'll cast one of my votes for Finland. Possible goals could be uniting Orthodoxy, or maybe making the Baltic a Finnish bay.

Not sure who else should get my other vote. I'll look through 1.05 some more and think on that a little.

There's many days left until 1.06, so no need to rush to decide. ;) About Finland and TO: I have played about 100 years with TO... and it's very easy. Finland seems very strong as well (if controlled by a human, that is). So I actually think I will retract my vote on TO. I'll do like you and look through 1.05 some more. Some of the far eastern nations have caught my eyes, by the way. China is split into 4 nations IIRC - maybe one of those could be fun? Korea has also captured a few provinces from Nippon - perhaps playing as Nippon could give us an interesting scenario?

Ahh, some many nations, so many possibilites. :) Emperor and panther, have you decided yet?

Hi Olav, sorry it's take me a while to get back to you - been trying to figure out who I want to play my next serious EU3 campaign as - probably Qara K/Persia with some fairly lunatic goals - WC + conversion of all Sunni provinces to Shia with no diploannexations :D

I'd certainly like to take a turn - but not first up - I'm a bit rusty. As I don't know the mod I don't have too many strong opinions on countries to play but I wouldn't like Byz.

I'd say 20 years is enough for a session - to be honest it normally takes me several hours to play that amount of game time.

The thing with EU2 (and somehow especially Aberration/Interregnum/A4K) is that whichever major-ish nation you choose, it always becomes veeery easy after a while. My first vote is for Finland - it's dirt poor and it shouldn't be too easy at least for the first few decades (never played them beyond that, by the way, so I can't really say anything for sure about them). It can be led to many interesting goals - like uniting Orthodoxy, colonizing Siberia, taking over the Baltic or Scandinavia, setting up a colonial empire in the New World...

2nd vote - Ragusa. But only if someone writes a monarch- and leaderfile for them. They're in a very interesting region, they are a one-province minor, and there's lots of great powers around them (Sicily, Byz, Genoa, Hungary) - which will make the game challenging and, hopefully, interesting.
They wouldn't need many leaders. 2-3 generals, a few more admirals (they're a maritime country, aren't they), perhaps some explorers/conquistadors in the 17th century. I may have the time to write such a list in the weekend - if we decide to choose them, that is.