• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quirinus308 said:
aug21838defeatatbergamosh2.png
What AAR is this reminding me of? ;)

Good job taking that chunk of land from the French and right on time since it was at the end of the year.

In Other News

This update will not be in the style of the others, as it is merely meant to bring you up to date on other things besides the war of independence.

In 1835, Texas had declared her independence from Mexico, but was defeated in their war of independence. Pressure from the United Sates prevented Mexico from reabsorbing Texas, but the Mexican government still considered the land theirs. On December 29, 1837 the situation became slightly more complicated as Texas applied for statehood with the US government.

jan11838mexicanwaroq9.png

The Mexican government was forced to react, and on January 1, 1838 war was declared…

dec291837texasannexedmm2.png

Meanwhile on the other side of the world…

june51838punjabas4.png

That should make the British happy as now they can get even more land once they eventually annex Punjab.

Lastly, as is the case with every AAR I write about…

bankruptcyic8.png

With an unmanageable debt, the Italian government finally gave in to the obvious. The King declared that the new nation of Italy was not responsible for the debts incurred prior to her existence (even if they were his personal debts). This of course did not sit well with the rest of the world. Italy lost around 700 in prestige, as well as half the factories in the country. This left a lot of unemployed workers, especially in Napoli.

Last edited:
Good to see you back again with this AAR. Even if the news about an Italian bankruptcy are not actually good ... Italy will take decades to restore a positive prestige!

Ah, was just wondering when this would be updated! And yes indeed, it just wouldn't be one of your AARs if you didn't go bankrupt :D! I think I'd actually feel quite uncomfortable without it...

Feedback

I am determined to not fall behind on feedback in this AAR, but regrettably I have…
So this feedback post may be a little long, but I want to be sure and respond to everyone.

Hannibal Barca2 said:
I got a feeling of you slightly outnoumbering the frenchies
Overall I don’t, but the French AI always seems to struggle with bringing his troops back from Africa. I don’t know why.

ComradeOm said:
Fantastic manoeuvring. You saw the opportunity and went for it... with nine full divisions! I'm only surprised that you bothered to occupy the provinces as you went. Now we can only hope that the French AI is not stubborn.Interesting enough, with regards the French AI, in my last game the French actually kept the bulk of their armies on the German border. I'm not sure what drives them to alternate between Europe and Africa like that.
I occupied the provinces because it is actually faster that way. With 6 cavalry division (or more) you can occupy a province and moe on to the next faster than you would if you just kept on marching. As to the French AI, I have also noticed a trend to overcompensate on the German border. There’s probably a potential exploit there.

gis said:
FANTASTIC! Now that Paris is yours, take Corsica back to the Italians! (although its not much of an Economic advantage, its value to Italy is huge) (and some provinces like Lyon and stuff, maybe the colonies, yea...)
Well, it’s after the fact now, but hopefully you are satisfied with the peace deal.

Ahura Mazda said:
In Europe perhaps, but not in Algeria, where the bulk of the French army is stationed...
Which is why the Italian colonial empire may have to wait a bit.

oddman said:
Interesting. Colour me following.
Thanks, which color do you prefer.

Minarchist said:
Remarkable
Thank you, and welcome aboard.

likk9922 said:
Agreed. And now with the might of the Italian army's full force in Austria, they don't stand a chance.
Hopefully you are correct.

Hastu Neon said:
Remarkable? Absolutely. A good chunck of Provence globbed, and the Rhone to serve as natural border against the French Revanchism. The newly acquired lands remind me of the ancient Roman Gallia Narbonensis.
Yes, I do prefer the new border much better, although I’m not so sure the French would agree.

rhynoclemmis said:
I don't like this Rafaldini guy. Bravo to your gains!
Now don’t be bitter. :D

Ahura Mazda said:
What AAR is this reminding me of?
This comment of course spawned a whole discussions which made me smile. I was wondering at the time if anyone would say anything about it.

Terraferma said:
Good job taking that chunk of land from the French and right on time since it was at the end of the year.
The French really frustrated me on this one. Usually the AI is not so stubborn, but this time…

ComradeOm said:
Fair play to Salerno, his decisive break seems to have completely thrown the French. Now you can focus on crushing the Austrians and recovering those important cores. I'm surprised that you lost at Bergamo but you still seem to retain the initiative on that front.
Actually the play between Salerno and Rafaldini was not by design. After I fought the war, I looked at it and saw some of the things that happened, and I couldn’t help but be reminded of the competition between Patton and Montgomery.

lordvagrant said:
I was thinking the same thing
Hopefully this will be the only time

Athenadoros said:
Prequel! Prequel! :p
Hopefully not, things didn’t go well for Italy in that AAR

rhynoclemmis said:
What? What AARe you talking about?
That’s a joke right…

Ahura Mazda said:
That kind of jokes are aweful But I can't help laughing
good, laughter will help the time pass by between updates. :D

Riptide said:
I can't believe that Corsica is still in the hands of those inbred Frogs! I demand a Continuation War to liberate the rock! Now!!! [And to get the rest of the French European Med, of course]
For some reason, all the Italian states but Sardinia have cores on Corsica. For this reason I was unable to ask for Corsica.

asd21593 said:
UPDATE PLEASE! Very good AAR, the Drive To Paris was awesome and risky, good job on the South French gains!
Thanks, I hope to post an update today

gis said:
seconded, all of it.
see above

Ahura Mazda said:
*waits patiently* :) *wait's unpatiently* :mad:
You probably should read the quote in my signature. :D

TwistedChimp said:
You double posted that pic of Texan annexation. other than that great AAR
thanks, fixed it

ComradeOm said:
Ouch, that bankruptcy must hurt. How much were you in debt and will this affect your plans at all?
I don’t remember how much I was in debt, but I didn’t think it was that bad. Oh well. I still have a positive prestige so it shouldn’t affect any plans. The biggest issue now are all the unemployed pops.

Hastu Neon said:
Good to see you back again with this AAR. Even if the news about an Italian bankruptcy are not actually good ... Italy will take decades to restore a positive prestige!
Actually we didn’t go negative. I had gained so much prestige from unification that I was able to take the hit. Truth be told, I always thought the unification brought in too much prestige, so this pretty much balanced it out.

DerKaiser said:
Ah, was just wondering when this would be updated! And yes indeed, it just wouldn't be one of your AARs if you didn't go bankrupt! I think I'd actually feel quite uncomfortable without it...
Yea I know. But just once I’d like to not go bankrupt. Is that asking too much?

Cercatore said:
Uhm... no. Alliance with France, and war against Austria
You are correct, but I kind of like my way too…

The Winter Push

Following the armistice with the French, all eyes in Italy turned towards the defeat of their old oppressor, the Hapsburg Empire. Unfortunately most of the Italian troops were still in France and it would be some months before an organized offensive could be launched.

In the mean time orders were given to the troops on the front line to push the front forward in anticipation of the eventual drive to Wien. At the time it was referred to as the Winter Push but history would later refer to it as the Lienz campaign.

dec111838austrianfrontpg0.png

It began with the troops on the front lines carrying out their orders to push forward. The first battle took place at Lienz where 3 Italian divisions met 3 Austrian divisions. Italian reinforcements would help, but the battle was destined to turn into an entire campaign.

dec111838lienzav8.png

Meanwhile the Austrians, realizing that time was not on their side began to make peace overtures. These of course were quickly dismissed by Rafaldini who stated that nothing less than the liberation of Lombardo-Veneto would be acceptable. Of course coming off of his victory over France, the King was more than willing to give Rafaldini the authority to negotiate the eventual peace with Austria.

dec161838austrianofferno8.png

Meanwhile the French are busy repairing their own damaged relations with Italy.

feb231839frenchspamxd5.png

This would be a continual French policy for the next century as the French would be constantly trying to ingratiate themselves to the Italians.

But, despite these brief diplomatic maneuvers, Italy remained focused on Lienz. On February 23,1839 the city was encircled, cutting off any hope of retreat for the Austrian defenders.

feb231839encirclementoi6.png

Additional troops were then sent into Lienz while two other legions were left to protect the encirclement and hopefully press the front forward still.

As winter was drawing to a close in March of 1839, the Italians maintained a strong superiority at Lienz, but were still unable to finish off the Austrian defenders.

march71839stillgoingfv2.png

Meanwhile Austrian troops were threatening to break the encirclement of Lienz. By April however Rafaldini and Salerno were nearing the front, and could be used to maintain the encirclement.

apr31839helponthewaysb0.png

Rafaldini
ordered Salerno to swing north in order to protect the Lienz encirclement while he would drive east, moving closer to Wien.

These steps would prove unnecessary as by April 3rd, the Austrian morale at Lienz was beginning to break.

apr31839finalcheckupib3.png

On April 14, 1839 it was all over as the last of the Austrian defenders surrendered.

apr141839victoryatlastwc8.png

The Winter Push had lasted into the middle of spring, but it had successfully wiped out 4 Austrian divisions, while capturing 6 provinces. Of paramount importance however was the fact that both Rafaldini and Salerno were only two provinces away from Wien. And the race was on…

Last edited: