• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So Thomas is in love with his wife, how shocking! Poor Mehtar, still refusing to see the truth. I wonder what kind of mess he'll end up causing.

General BT,

That, sir, has to be one of my favourite posts in the entire AAR! I loved how you weaved the inability to rationalise/come to acceptance/conflict within Mehtar's mind! I could just imagine myself viewing and thinking the same thing! It felt very believable, very realistic. I enjoyed it immensely.

Now, onto a few questions. Firstly, you said that you hope to transfer the AAR to EUII: IN right? Well if so, do you intend on ruling a fully reinvigorated new Roman Empire or will you keep The Byzantines dominating the Middle East and Africa and instead, guiding Europe overall onto the path of Orthodoxy instead of Catholocism? Could be interested to see future Orthodox powers form such as Orthodox Spain and Orthodox Portugal. Heck, once the colonial race for America heats up, will we see European nations under the Orthodoxy banner racing for the New World instead of traditional Catholocism? Should be fun also once the Protestant revolts heat up. Just an observation of mine.

Secondly, the Mongols I think, if history serves me right, should be appearing within another 10 - 20 years. Hopefully Basil should be around to face them at that time. Afterall, Megos Demetrious campaigned well into old age. ;) Should be interesting to see father and sons campaign against Mongolia although it definately could cause alot of tears in Byzantine society. Looking forward to when the Mongols appear, mind.

Thirdly, will Capet play anymore a plot later on or is his time pretty much up in the overall scheme of things? And I thought he sent Louis to the dungeon? So he's spared his son after the failed poisoning plot? Oh and any news about him producing a new heir yet? I must admit, Capet has been one of my favourite villains in the show.

And last but not least, is Staurikos still alive and well on Elba? ;)

asd21593 said:
So Mehtar is a crazy spy "in love" with Thomas?! :wacko:

That can't be good for anyone...

:) asd
Except MOngols :D

I'm going to take the opposite route of the usual comments...and beg you to STOP updating.

Because I am on page three, and though I desperately want to, I am never going to catch up at this rate.

:D

Don't listen to that anti-christ.;)

Nikolai - LOL, I don't plan to. Never fear. :)

Actinguy - Hey, glad to hear you like what you've seen so far! Don't worry, you will get caught up, and even if you don't - 1) there is an end, far far down the line, and 2) I really do appreciate seeing people's comments on what has gone on before... it adds fresh perspective and sometimes can give me good ideas on where to go far in the future!

4th Dimension - KHAAAAAN! :D

asd21593 - Mehtar's lost it, just a little bit... he would definitely fit in the "mad genius" category. And considering what he's a genius at, it might be a bad thing he's gone off his rocker...

Enewald - If this game was in DV, Sophia definitely just gained Mehtar as a rival. And Thomas has Mehtar as a friend - no matter how their interpretations of "friend" may disagree...

Ksim300

1) Yes, I'm planning on continuing this into In Nomine, given time. Right now, I'm busy trying to find a blank IN map so I can plot out where provinces, etc. should be. I have one done for regular EUIII, but several provinces have changed. And yes, the EUIII world will definitely NOT be the world you'd recognize! (see below for more info) Likely I will write this AAR up until 1350 or so, then have a summation explaining the 49 years between the end of CK and the start of IN.

2) If the Mongols appear as they did in real life timeline (I know when they appear, but I'm not giving that away just yet. :D), they'd arrive in about 20-30 years. Yes, if Basil lives to be the age of the Megos, he'll spend his twilight attempting to fend them off. If not, it'll be one of his successors - and I'd venture David would have far more luck than Thomas...

3) Drogo is still around, and he still has a role to play. So far, he hasn't sired a new heir with his new wife, so Louis still needs to be kept around - that's so far been the one thing saving Louis' behind. Drogo will be a thorn in Romanion's time for some time to come - right now he's merely recovering, and licking his wounds...

DarthJF - I know! People shouldn't fall in love with their wives! What hedonistic, horrific world do these people live in, anyway! :rofl: Consider Mehtar's position and skills, the mess he will cause will be quite huge... earth-shattering, almost...

canonized - Neurosis, yes. Thats a nice word to sum it all up... considering creepy/stalkerish/obsessive doesn't come close...

Fulcrumvale - Rodrigo's a keen man, but Mehtar has obviously "grown up" in his skills quickly. And while David is brilliant, Thomas has Mehtar - it should be an interesting matchup, though considering some of the people involved, a big question is - will it end in civil war... or end sooner?

kalenderee - Yay! That's what I was trying to do this time. I'd been writing Mehtar as far too human, so I wanted him to do something frightening and devious, while still having him start this little avalanche. And yes, if Alexios inherits Romanion, with his coffers and claims it would be only a small reach for the entire Roman Empire to be reunited by force. That said, as Alienor realizes, there are undoubtedly going to be extremely powerful forces that don't want this to happen, and will line up to do anything to ensure that it does not...

In lieu of an update this time (the actual update is in my head, not on hard drive yet), I decided to offer you all an opportunity. Ksim3000 asked about how this would continue into IN, and I offer you the following spoiler below. it's linked, not displayed, so if you don't want to know, you don't have to. It's the preliminary map of countries in 1399...

SPOILER ALERT

Some things to note:
1) All the colored countries displayed are Christian. White spaces are Muslim/pagan/what have you
2) If the blank EUIII map was larger, more of certain areas could be displayed
3) I tried to tie liege/vassal nations together by having different shades of roughly the same color, but I ran out of shades. It should be rather obvious who goes with who, however, save central and northern Europe possibly.
4) There are multiple people claiming they have an imperial title. Any guesses as to who? :)
5) EDIT - Another note... while all the nations on the map are Christian, they aren't all European...

Last edited:
With respect to events in the East—is the old emperor still on the Persian throne, or has his son succeeded him?

General_BT said:
Ksim300

1) Yes, I'm planning on continuing this into In Nomine, given time. Right now, I'm busy trying to find a blank IN map so I can plot out where provinces, etc. should be. I have one done for regular EUIII, but several provinces have changed. And yes, the EUIII world will definitely NOT be the world you'd recognize! (see below for more info) Likely I will write this AAR up until 1350 or so, then have a summation explaining the 49 years between the end of CK and the start of IN.

I'm not sure but I think Monnikje made a blank IN-MAP

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8700646#post8700646

From a quick glance over, I'm particularly intrigued by Sweden/Scotland/Ireland (plus possibly Denmark and a chunk of Germany?), and a unified-ish Italy.

A unified-ish Italy that might have an Icelandic colony?

kalenderee said:
From a quick glance over, I'm particularly intrigued by Sweden/Scotland/Ireland (plus possibly Denmark and a chunk of Germany?), and a unified-ish Italy.

A unified-ish Italy that might have an Icelandic colony?

Unified-ish Italy? You read that map different than me...

Fulcrumvale - No.

kalenderee - No, that's not quite the case. The new color scheme should clear things up some. Keep in mind if two nations have the same color but are on opposite sides of the map, they likely aren't the same - its just I ran out of independent shades to play with. :)

Well, no news on the update (its still "in my head" but unfortunately "not on screen."). However, with the new IN world map (thank you Deamon for the link) I've redone the future RA European map. There'll likely still be tweaking to make sure all the diadochi are roughly similar in strength. Down the line I'll start taking requests as to which country people would like to see RA played as in the IN incarnation. But for now, once again -

SPOILER PART DEUX

The notices on the original map are the same - save that I did a better coloring job so you should be able to better tell who are vassals/allies of who. Keep in mind that while all the colored countries are Christian, they aren't all European by any means.

Other features of the IN installment of Rome AARisen include:
1) 2 new major sects of Christianity (free to take guesses as to where they start, what they're named, etc.)
2) A drastically changed Reformation
3) Some new missions specific to many of the "new" countries
4) Several new ethnic groups (the "Hellenic" world part 2)
5) Numerous changes to surrounding non-Christian countries to reflect change (and provide some balance to the game!)

EDIT - one last, very evil spoiler. A picture of the person most responsible for that map (well, directly responsible for a small part, indirectly responsible for alot of the rest)...

Anna1.jpg

Eirene Kaukadenos nee Komnenos - 1348

*evil grin*

Last edited:
Eek, maybe she is the Khan to be? :p

I sya continue with the one who owns Thrace.

But would be interrsting to see sometimes how is the life in other diadochis.

Finally caught up...Holy cow. Great as usual and I'm excited to see you'll be continuing on into EUIII!

I vote for following Thrace...it seems the most melancholy choice. All the other states will be "new and fresh." The Lords of Constantinople will have an ancient palace, three memories of what the Empire was, and probably one massive grudge.