• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's a very cunning plan for the conquest of Persia. Who would've imagined that the once arch-enemy of Rome would end up being more or less peacefully incorporated into the Empire as provinces. At least that's the plan. While I think Gabriel's got a good handle on the Turks I don't think the Ilkhanate will be so pliable. I predict a showdown in the Iranian plateau.

I do not know how the mongols have done, the last couple of years, but i take it their tumen are in no better shape than the Imperial Guard. So it might be wise for the Ilkhan to grid his teeth, and wait for a better time. Or even better, convert! Then HE will be the savior of Islam!
But then again, this is all fantasy weaving. For all we know, the Romanion invasion will be a complete disaster.... ;)

Ah the end begins for Persia, it looks like a solid plan and as long as the Themes support it, and there isn't any funny business, this could be a great success :)

There can be no buffer zone knowing the Mongols... :rolleyes:
But nice intrigue anyway! :D
So there are no Islamic nations left in the east?
Say in Pakistan, Afghanistan or India?
Indonesia? When did Islam arrive there?

There can be no buffer zone knowing the Mongols... :rolleyes:
But nice intrigue anyway! :D
So there are no Islamic nations left in the east?
Say in Pakistan, Afghanistan or India?
Indonesia? When did Islam arrive there?

Afghanistan and most of Pakistan was historically conquered by the Mongols, so i assume that they are in this timeline. As to moving to India, once again, they would probably have to pay large sums of money to either take a ship to India, or to sneak through the Mongol lines.

Historically, Islam didn't get to Indonesia until the 1200's, and even then, it wasn't very widespread until later. Once again, i think that the cost to get there outweighed the risks of joining the romans, and Islam was yet to be widespread in Indonesia.

Indeed, going from Persia to Indonesia on ship is quite a long and must have been quite an expensive trip back then.

I like the plan. I doubt the Mongols will just let you have your way with the Persians though.

cunning and devious as ever BT. I am really beginning to like Gabriel. Assuming he lives that long, he will be a great advantage to the Purple considering the previous two occupants. Also, it would appear, that with the inevitable collapse of the Great Turk, that the only remaining Moslem power is the Empire of Mali in Western Africa.

~Hawk

Yeah, wonderful plan. Send a deranged lunatic who thinks he's a pirate, a young inexperienced lech, two traitorous old men who only want this war for, as they put it, "Land for my 4 sons." To Persia at the head of a massive army with express orders to NOT piss off the Islamic populace, when one is an atheist with an acidic tongue, one is, as I said, a lunatic, and you have a great plan indeed! Top that off with sending Mahmud off to the Caucasus, and you're provoking both Mongol Hordes with armies on their borders, and threatening the Ilkhanate with war by destroying the buffer state between you!

Ah the end begins for Persia, it looks like a solid plan and as long as the Themes support it, and there isn't any funny business, this could be a great success :)

Can you honestly think of a time there hasn't been funny business?

Afghanistan and most of Pakistan was historically conquered by the Mongols, so I assume that they are in this timeline. As to moving to India, once again, they would probably have to pay large sums of money to either take a ship to India, or to sneak through the Mongol lines.

Historically, Islam didn't get to Indonesia until the 1200's, and even then, it wasn't very widespread until later. Once again, i think that the cost to get there outweighed the risks of joining the romans, and Islam was yet to be widespread in Indonesia.

The area of Transaxonia, Bactria, and all territories leading down to the Indus were pretty much Islamicized by the 10th century onward. I would imagine that whilst the aforementioned areas were conquered by the Mongols at this point, Northern India would still be under the control of the newly emerging Sultanate of Delhi under the Lodis.

As to Islam in Southeast Asia, Arab Muslims had a presence back to the 9th and 10th centuries as can be testified by the Canton Muslim settelements and Mosques that date to that period. We have references to areas such as Borneo and Atjeh by the late 10th century as well. I would reckon Muslims would have arrived there a bit earlier. Costs, Im not sure if they were as extraordinary as you claim. Alot of Gulf Arabs practiced commerce, and since they were private ventures that connected via Mumbai or Malabar, it wasnt as high as one could imagine them to be. Afterall, the whole 'Khaleeji' subsistance trade based itself off of these enterprises by trading spices, silks, and other goods. On the otherhand, I dont anticipate any major influx of Muslims to Indonesia (which is a redundant term at this point) except the historical number of missionaries and merchants who went there.

Somalia....eh, its pretty much seperated by a small strip of sea under the Bab Al-Mandab connecting Yemen to Somalia. The Arabization that occured there (if one could call it that) was a result of a major influx of Merchants and settlers from Aden and Hadramut. It was not expensive or demanding at all, especially since it was en route to Zanzibar.

Last edited:
Well, if the rich Muslims could travel from Mali and maybe from Indonesia to Mecca, why not from Persian to Mali or Indonesia? :p
Or as said, Arabian merchants maybe have to help creating colonies for Muslims along the African West coast...