• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok. I've now uploaded v.6, and it is ready for download. There will be new screenshots just as soon as I finish putting a clean install of Armageddon on my computer (otherwise my other graphics mods will interfere, and people may be confused).

joecrabs77 said:
anyone having problems with the sprites when they have to cross rivers? i'm thinking it is only happening to the german infantry... any clues?
I don't think that it has anything to do with river-crossing (they use the same animation whether they are river crossing or just walking), so I'd say that either there is a problem with the German Infantry sprite (if this is the problem then you should talk to Halibutt. He converted the sprite, not me), or you may just have a bad install (this happens occasionally when you add new sprites to your copy of HoI - just reinstall to fix the problem - if that doesn't work try again, and if that doesn't work then its a problem with the sprite).

Hi, I just downloaded v.6, I must say that i appreciate all the work you had in this. I have been following this mod from the start and it was something i meant to do also but you saved me the work thanks :)

But theres is a minor problem that comes from the 1st version and it hasn't been corrected yet. (I don't know how anybody didn't mention it before).

As i am a windows user, my S.O. doesn't distinguish between upper and lower case so whenever i unpack your mod i get a lot of repeating names and i have to choose which are correct and only to use those. most of the time i fail and get a lot of corrupted sprites ingame...

I know it's a lot of work but i hope it will be possible to correct those repeating file names.

Also i would like to know what is the correct format for the sprite name...
is it: T-model A-action C-country L-level D-direction
or: T-model C-country A-action L-level D-direction

and how many sprites are needed for a given model? 8 direction, 8 firing directions and 1 standing? or any other number?

Thanks

Viriul said:
Hi, I just downloaded v.6, I must say that i appreciate all the work you had in this. I have been following this mod from the start and it was something i meant to do also but you saved me the work thanks :)

But theres is a minor problem that comes from the 1st version and it hasn't been corrected yet. (I don't know how anybody didn't mention it before).

As i am a windows user, my S.O. doesn't distinguish between upper and lower case so whenever i unpack your mod i get a lot of repeating names and i have to choose which are correct and only to use those. most of the time i fail and get a lot of corrupted sprites ingame...

I know it's a lot of work but i hope it will be possible to correct those repeating file names.

Also i would like to know what is the correct format for the sprite name...
is it: T-model A-action C-country L-level D-direction
or: T-model C-country A-action L-level D-direction

and how many sprites are needed for a given model? 8 direction, 8 firing directions and 1 standing? or any other number?

Thanks
I'm not entirely sure that I understand your bug report. If I understood correctly, you said that there are duplicate sprites in the pack, and that it causes problems because windows isn't case sensitive. That's interesting, and I hadn't noticed because I use Ubuntu Linux to compile the pack. I haven't encountered this problem even on my windows computer though, so if I can have some more information then I can do more about it.

As for your first question, it is T-model C-Country A-Action L-Level D-Direction, however, you don't have to include L-Level unless it is a level other than 0 or 1.

You are correct about the number of sprites, but IIRC air units only need 2 firing sprites.

Oh, and I hope to release v.7 next weekend.

Rodrico Stak said:
I'm not entirely sure that I understand your bug report. If I understood correctly, you said that there are duplicate sprites in the pack, and that it causes problems because windows isn't case sensitive. That's interesting, and I hadn't noticed because I use Ubuntu Linux to compile the pack. I haven't encountered this problem even on my windows computer though, so if I can have some more information then I can do more about it.

As for your first question, it is T-model C-Country A-Action L-Level D-Direction, however, you don't have to include L-Level unless it is a level other than 0 or 1.

You are correct about the number of sprites, but IIRC air units only need 2 firing sprites.

Oh, and I hope to release v.7 next weekend.

Thats correct. I am sorry about my english if i didn't make myself understood.
That's the bug i am reporting.
I did a quick test now (i have to go to work so i don't have time for more now) and the first duplicate sprite i get is:

t-infantry c-ger A-WALK D-S.bmp at 44k
T-INFANTRY C-GER A-WALK D-S.bmp at 151k and only one
T-INFANTRY C-GER A-WALK D-S.spr
so, only one bmp must be correct... i didn't had time to check that.

another "bug": I have
T-INFANTRY C-GER A-FIRE D-E.spr and
T-INFANTRY A-FIRE C-GER L-1 D-E.spr

the names aren't the same but they both meant to refer to the same unit model. So which one HOIDD loads? both and they mess up each other? or just the first since it conforms with the name convention you've told?

Thanks for any help

Viriul said:
another "bug": I have
T-INFANTRY C-GER A-FIRE D-E.spr and
T-INFANTRY A-FIRE C-GER L-1 D-E.spr

the names aren't the same but they both meant to refer to the same unit model. So which one HOIDD loads? both and they mess up each other? or just the first since it conforms with the name convention you've told?

Thanks for any help

Ok The army sprites Infantry,Cavalry,Bergsjaeger,Marines,garrisons, militia should not have any L-1 or L-2 at all only air,ship,tank,Mechanized and motorized sprites have level codes and thats in hoi1 as hoi2 dosent have as many sprite choices or any levels except L-1.
so this is the correct one in my opinion
T-INFANTRY C-GER A-FIRE D-E.spr

although i think other may work also if there are not 2 conflicting ones the same.

Dr

Ok, I think I know what I'm going to do to fix the duplicate problem. Since I intend to release v.7 this weekend (or possibly today), I'll simply recompile the entire project, thereby fixing the problem.

New stuff that will be included in v.7:

1. ZyKloNuk's Mot Inf sprites will be replaced now that I have his permission to use them
2. I intend to convert some submarines from Civ3, for the exclusive use of this project :D
3. I will also convert an American infantry unit, as the US and China remain the only countries still using the Mod 34 infantry sprites.

Rodrico Stak said:
Ok, I think I know what I'm going to do to fix the duplicate problem. Since I intend to release v.7 this weekend (or possibly today), I'll simply recompile the entire project, thereby fixing the problem.

New stuff that will be included in v.7:

1. ZyKloNuk's Mot Inf sprites will be replaced now that I have his permission to use them
2. I intend to convert some submarines from Civ3, for the exclusive use of this project :D
3. I will also convert an American infantry unit, as the US and China remain the only countries still using the Mod 34 infantry sprites.
Hmm... It appears that I may have jumped the gun on this one. I wanted to convert submarines for every major, but their attack animation has thwarted my attempts (the submarine animations I found attack while submerged, which means that all that is visible is the torpedo). I may (read: unlikely) be able to find one that doesn't do this, but if not then the submarine will remain as is. The submarine is the only sprite that remains the HoI2 default :( (there is no HoI1 submarine sprite that I can find).

I might, however, be able to get the GI sprite, because while I can't find a user-made one that I can convert, Civ3 Conquests has a very nice one in its Pacific war scenario. Unfortunately though, my computer has decided that I will not be allowed to reinstall Civ3 (I removed it when I bought Civ4), and so is giving me trouble.

Sub Up!!!!

Rodrico Stak said:
The submarine is the only sprite that remains the HoI2 default :( (there is no HoI1 submarine sprite that I can find).

There are Hoi1 GER,JAP,USA,ENG and maybe ITA sub designs available from the stony forum old all time sprites pack.......
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=7
The Stony Road Forum - Downloads
Dr

Dr Rare said:
There are Hoi1 GER,JAP,USA,ENG and maybe ITA sub designs available from the stony forum old all time sprites pack.......
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=7
The Stony Road Forum - Downloads
Dr
That's good, is there some tutorial on how to convert HoI1 sprites to HoI2?

Edit: Due to the lack of a search function on these forums, it is very hard to find your HoI1 conversions for HoI2, because all I can find on the links in your signature are HoI1 sprites, and the thread in these forums that links to the Stony Road thread with all your conversions in it is buried under some very large number of pages. You wouldn't happen to have a convenient link would you?

Edit2: Ignore edit 1. I found a link earlier in this thread. (why didn't I notice it before? :eek:o )

Last edited:
I'm currently uploading v.7. The only changes are:

1. ZyKloNuk's Motorized Sprites are reincluded
2. BeBro's new armor and mechanized sprites are now included
3. Dr Rare's Bergsjaeger sprites are now included
4. There should no longer be any duplicate sprites (thank you to Viriul for pointing this out)

It will be noted in the first post when the links have been changed, as the version number will go from v.6 to v.7.

Hello RS
I just had a look at the sub question amazingly there is no difference in number of bmps or sprite files between hoi1 subs and hoi2 subs (Or any of the naval sprites so its vice versa for hoi1 gamers also)there fore they should work straight away if you just drop them in :cool: ,but they may look to small in a hoi2 game check it out its your call??
The modification which will be required is that the origin in the hoi1 stand spr files will need to be changed
eg.from
Origin = { x = 50 y = 48 } in hoi1
to
Origin = { x = 65 y = 70 }hoi2

hope this helps

Dr Rare

Edit; if anyone else wants my hoi1 /hoi2 conversions...
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=7428
Dr Rare's Hoi2 Sprite Mod - The Stony Road Forum
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=7562
Dr Rare's Hoi2 WW1 Sprites! - The Stony Road Forum
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=7502
Dr Rare's New Hoi2 Rocket Sprite! - The Stony Road Forum

Well, only one submarine sprite actually appeared (the US one), so I just reset it to minors, and it is definitely generic enough for all countries to use it. I like it because it is so much smaller than the other naval sprites, instead of having battleship-size submarines:

sub.jpg

Ordinarily, I wouldn't update over only one sprite, but since I forgot to add the marines sprites when I recompiled v.7, I'll rerelease v.7 as v.7a, adding in the submarine and marines.

Rodrico Stak said:
Well, only one submarine sprite actually appeared (the US one), so I just reset it to minors, and it is definitely generic enough for all countries to use it. I like it because it is so much smaller than the other naval sprites, instead of having battleship-size submarines:

Good call i wouldnt like battleship size subs either if i played hoi2!

Try adding them again now you have a minors,sorry i should of of thought to say you probably need to build a pack with MIN,GER,JAP,ITA,ENG,ITA,SOV,FRA for all the majors to see in game like my sprite packs (its a hoi2 thing)you could use the minors sub from Hoi1 and direct the missing ones FRA,SOV to use minors then it should in theory work.

Dr

Dr Rare said:
Good call i wouldnt like battleship size subs either if i played hoi2!

Try adding them again now you have a minors,sorry i should of of thought to say you probably need to build a pack with MIN,GER,JAP,ITA,ENG,ITA,SOV,FRA for all the majors to see in game like my sprite packs (its a hoi2 thing)you could use the minors sub from Hoi1 and direct the missing ones FRA,SOV to use minors then it should in theory work.

Dr
Well, it wasn't so much that they wouldn't show up, but it was that the first pack of the two your link directed me to only gave me the palette files, which isn't enough to use by itself. The second included only this submarine.

Rodrico Stak said:
Well, it wasn't so much that they wouldn't show up, but it was that the first pack of the two your link directed me to only gave me the palette files, which isn't enough to use by itself. The second included only this submarine.
Weird and Strange?not sure about this?? The all time sprites pack includes loads of sprites maybe there was a download problem,try again?If i remember correctly the all time pack was a rar file with many rar files inside.The stony sprites pack you will find useless as it is to be added to a installed hoi1 game and even then i always had issues with it its a bit of a mess.
Dr

Dr Rare said:
Weird and Strange?not sure about this?? The all time sprites pack includes loads of sprites maybe there was a download problem,try again?If i remember correctly the all time pack was a rar file with many rar files inside.The stony sprites pack you will find useless as it is to be added to a installed hoi1 game and even then i always had issues with it its a bit of a mess.
Dr
Ah. That explains it. For some reason the download must have been corrupted or something like that because the smaller .rar files did not appear.

Doesn't matter about the second one though, because since I compile the pack on a different computer from my HoI2 directory the filesystem gets deleted by me anyway.