• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Many thanks for these and the German air divisions! Your ideas about the French army sound about right (I'm just thinking of a more inspiring revolutionary alternative to 'Armée de Gardes'...).

Making most of the French land into militias might make them a bit too pathetic in actual performance! Might be better to either give them some manpower limitations, or just not particularly good doctrines and techs...

No problem with the German air, and my knowledge of french is shady at best, I think "de Gardes" is probably a really brutalized form of french, but what can I say, I'm a stupid american! :D

Whatever you wish, I wasn't clear on if we were modding the tech trees or not, if we do, then we have limitless possibilities for customization. However giving France crap tech teams means all their troops will be crap, which means they'll never be able to do anything, hence my idea of a high-tech french army with alot of militia.

- Okay, can be changed easily!
- Oh dear, which ones (or just how many should be light cruisers...)?
- - That is my literal-mindedness for you - just a question for the conversion, if they're motorised divisions anyway, would they really need the 'armoured car' attachment as well?

Hmm....
Cruisers should be: (you edited some out it seems, but thats the actual list for the north sea fleet cruisers)
RNS Edinburgh (ah) ----- Lvl III CA
RNS Southhampton (ah) ----- Lvl III CA
RNS Plymouth (ah) ----- Lvl III CA
RNS Birmingham (ah) ----- Lvl II CA
RNS Manchester (ah) ------ Lvl II CA
RNS Ceres ----- Lvl I CL
RNS Coventry ----- Lvl I CL
RNS Curacoa ----- Lvl I CL
RNS Measureless ---- Lvl II CL
RNS Regardless ----- Lvl II CL
RNS Endurance (ah) ----- Lvl III CL
RNS Resurgance (ah) ----- Lvl III CL
RNS Disturbance (ah) ----- Lvl III CL
RNS Elegance (ah) ----- Lvl III CL

Whats wrong with motorized division with armored cars? I like my armored cars! :rofl:

Let me see - both ideas look quite good for possible events with some modifying. I'd be more inclined to give the second event to IHK-Mitteleuropa ( - The Kaiser is above matters of industrial policy, you know!) - but I'll give a proper rundown of how I want the German domestic events to work later on today (hopefully!), which should provide some better guidelines on this.

Well, this isn't a normal move, I mean Krupp was the heart and soul of the German War Industry, and Stahlwerke the largest steel manufacturer in Europe, combining them is a huge thing, it'd probably have to go by the Kaiser first, its not like its too pig-hole companies combining, its the formation of a possibly massive corporation, one of the largest in the world! But as you wish.

Might be a bit redundant, or possibly mean that the event won't even fire! Also, try to keep the descriptions at 5 lines or below - if they're too long, they cause a crash on loadup (known from much experience, as I like overly long descriptions myself!)

I think the construct IC and resource commands are okay - don't give much attention to what things are actually indicated in the 'where =' or 'value =': they often don't follow any recognisable logic!

You should also try to use Baylox's formated event commands, rather than the Wiki - they are much easier to get the relevant information from. I believe there's even a copy of them in the 'db\event\kaiserreich\' folder in the Alpha...

I'm not entirely understanding of the "flag" trigger, your flags are like flag = UKR_AGR_SUB and stuff, do those extensions mean something? With the descriptions, thats easy to change at least. I'll look into the event commands and maybe write up some more.

---------------

Okay, I can work on the other techteams if you want, you mentioned de-Nazification in another reply. And I'll revise my events and maybe some new ones as well. Tonight I'm hanging out with some friends, so I may be gone tonight.

Work is progressing well. :D

nationalist_france_V.png

The State of France, take 5. :p

Berlichingen said:
No problem with the German air, and my knowledge of french is shady at best, I think "de Gardes" is probably a really brutalized form of french, but what can I say, I'm a stupid american! :D

Whats wrong with motorized division with armored cars? I like my armored cars! :rofl:

Well, this isn't a normal move, I mean Krupp was the heart and soul of the German War Industry, and Stahlwerke the largest steel manufacturer in Europe, combining them is a huge thing, it'd probably have to go by the Kaiser first, its not like its too pig-hole companies combining, its the formation of a possibly massive corporation, one of the largest in the world! But as you wish.

I'm not entirely understanding of the "flag" trigger, your flags are like flag = UKR_AGR_SUB and stuff, do those extensions mean something? With the descriptions, thats easy to change at least. I'll look into the event commands and maybe write up some more.

---------------

Okay, I can work on the other techteams if you want, you mentioned de-Nazification in another reply. And I'll revise my events and maybe some new ones as well. Tonight I'm hanging out with some friends, so I may be gone tonight.

Many thanks - all of this can be changed pretty easily. It is also not clear to me whether tech-trees are being modded or not - but, at the risk of pushing the point, as long as other people volunteer to do it, and Zeppelins appear, I'll be happy!

And the relationship of the Kaiser and the German Government to the other important groups in society will be clarified shortly (I've done all my real work for the day, so I'm currently writing up the essay!)

Flags are a bit tricky to use - Basically, they are set off by events with the following command:

command = { type = setflag which = <<Flag name>> }

So, you can then use 'Flag = <<Flag name>>' in the 'trigger' section, so that an event will only fire if the flag has been set off by the event - the actual name itself means nothing, but it's best to keep a record of all the one's you're using!

CCurio said:
As for French militia, I would see that CORE-style Reserve Divisions would propably be the best solution, but...

Perhaps garrisons could be used in the vanilla? Perhaps Garrison 50/50 Militia...?

Very nice flag. I have to check out CORE to see how they're doing stuff, as some of the ideas sound interesting - if a bit complex (although I'm hardly one to talk on this front...!).

CCurio said:
The 2nd one looks pretty sweet, T. :)

Yes, I concur!

And here we have part one of the German Domestic Setup/Early Game ideas...

***​

Germany has to be interesting to play, and needs more problems to deal with than working out how best to divide up its IC to upgrade the Hochseeflotte. As people may have guessed by now, I’m much more interested in the political/social aspects of HOI2 than the actual war/fighting parts ( :p - one of the main reasons why I prefer to spend time creating mods for the game rather than actually playing it!). And, more importantly, I want Germany to have a similar progression that Russia does, so that the player has the chance to steer the Reich in the direction that they want over the course of a few difficult starting years - and with any luck ending up with the sort of country that they want!

However, there are big differences between the two countries. In Russia owing to the different social and political situation, a strong government can attempt to impose its will upon the population through a pretty linear series of centralised reforms, or be smashed by revolution trying. The Kaiserreich meanwhile was a very complex modern industrial society, with a mixture of quite autocratic political structures, a vigorous if fairly ineffectual parliament, and a wide range of lobby and pressure groups which attempted to steer government policy in different directions. This meant that the only way the government could get anything done was by balancing the demands of a range of different interest groups.

During the War, pretty much everything was subordinated to the War Effort, and the military became by far the most dominant section in society. However, (now in the alternate history bit!) the main feature of political life during the 1920s was a concerted effort from a variety of directions to attempt to ‘demilitarize’ society, roll back the power of the army, and gain some sort of improved position - so, by 1936, the main power blocks have consolidated as the different off-map countries/factions. All currently exist in a fairly delicate state of social peace and compromise

However, that of course is not very exciting. The Central European economies have been ticking along reasonably well for the past sixteen years, with heavy market regulation and cartelization preventing any major shocks. But the long-term economic cycles of the Global Economy (not to mention the nefarious schemes of Dr. Mabuse…) could only be delayed, and not put-off altogether. So in February 1936, the Berlin Stock Exchange crashes, sparking off a global Depression, which the fragile international situation is even less well-placed to deal with than in real life – and the carefully established social balances and compromises within the Reich all start to unravel…

(Help need from German speakers for the event name for this – would a ‘Krach’ or a ‘Zusammenbruch’ be better to describe this? And where exactly was the Imperial Stock Exchange located? I vaguely remember Wilhelmstraße, but may be wrong…).

CCurio said:
The 2nd one looks pretty sweet, T. :)

Got my vote too. :)

Ayeshteni

German Domestic Ideas II

Now, one of main things which annoyed me a bit when I was making ‘All the Russias’ was that there appeared to be no way of modelling internal developments of non-state groups, their relations with the government or their actual power within society. All this had to be done via random events, flags and offset conditions (eg. see ‘The Revolution’ and ‘Faith and Nation’ events….).

This of course was until the the off-map country possibility was discovered - Now, as discussed above, each off-map nation represents one particular political-social organisation or body of interest groups which the Reich Government is going to have to deal with (detailed descriptions to follow…). So, they can all have their own diplomatic relations (both with the Reich, each other, and possibly even other countries…) and also events, such as deciding leadership changes, or making decisions regarding their own particular courses of action. These matters are therefore taken out of the hands of both the German player and become another issue for them to deal with.

So, for a boring political example, the German player attempts to keep German industry (represented by IHK-Mitteleuropa) happy, by implementing a new Labour Code -> The SPD will then get an event asking them whether they want to organise a General Strike or not, which will then of cause a headache for the German player.

Modelling the actual ‘strength’ or influence of each group is a bit more tricky -> However, I think there is a way round this through using resources, ‘manpower’ in particular. None of the provinces offmap countries should produce or use up any manpower, so they will only gain and lose it by events. As such, if something good happens to one of them, which means they get more support, they get more manpower. If they do something wrong (or are crushed by the forces loyal to the Kaiser!), then they lose it.

This hasn’t been tested, but I believe that this can have a very clear game impact, because ‘manpower’ values are a possible trigger. So, if we return to the SPD’s reaction to the Kaiser’s proposed adjustment to German working conditions, the triggers would be set up so they would only be able to organise the General Strike if their manpower values were, say, over 200 (representing a reasonable level of influence). And if they’re over 500 (in which case they’d pretty much be as powerful as the state itself!), a different event would fire, in which they could attempt to seize power in Germany. This could then be resisted by both the German player and other factions with enough strength, and some form of major social disturbance, possibly even civil war, would develop.

Obviously all very complex and would need a lot of balancing, but would hopefully create a completely new way of playing the game, make things more interesting for Germany and utilise my professional-ish activities in Imperial German social and political history (- and mean that I can pretend I’m working when researching for the mod :p !).

CCurio said:
Hmmmmh, I was actually thinking that the Infantry Adaption could give bonuses to cavalry...here is my very early, unfinished suggestion...

doctrines.gif

Also, Sarmatia, I will check if I can find a big fleur de lis from somewhere...

I was thinking that a raised fist could perhaps be used as a symbol...I was going to use a raised fist clenching to a pickaxe for UoB and some soviet CoA-ish for the french.

Sounds nice...

I was thinking doctrines might be the "easiest" part of the tech-tree to mod, because you won't have to mess around with unit models much (though incidentally we'll have to give new names to all the various units!)

Arilou said:
Sounds nice...

I was thinking doctrines might be the "easiest" part of the tech-tree to mod, because you won't have to mess around with unit models much (though incidentally we'll have to give new names to all the various units!)

Yes, very true - but again, names are infinitely easier than sprites!

CCurio said:
Oh man, Sarmy, those ideas sound awesome!

The manpower trigger for the phantom nations is sheer genius! :cool: :)

EDIT: What's the TAG situation now?

Many thanks - although the translation from idea to getting it to working properly is going to be interesting to say the least!

There's about 12 user defined tags left, and also quite a lot of revolter nations in Africa which can probably changed into other things.

T-hiddemen said:
Well then, when I get some time later today I will cook up a set of flags, shields, counters if no one beats me to it. . . .

Many thanks!

:) - are you perchance optimistically hoping that someone else will be inspired to take on some of your flag-creation workload?

Sarmatia1871 said:
Many thanks - although the translation from idea to getting it to working properly is going to be interesting to say the least!

There's about 12 user defined tags left, and also quite a lot of revolter nations in Africa which can probably changed into other things.

Yes, I can imagine... :eek:

I was thinking that maybe...the constituent kingdoms of Germany could also be modeled? For possible breakup of Germany... Perhaps a possible SE Asian corporate puppet, if the germans decide that it's better to rule through corporations.

I think it would be good to keep some of the african revolter tags, especially if Portugal decides to go Syndicalist and starts granting more home rule to their colonies...

Getting minister will likely be an eternal problem, though...That reminded me, Von Falkenhayen ought to be in AOG.

CCurio said:
Yes, I can imagine... :eek:

I was thinking that maybe...the constituent kingdoms of Germany could also be modeled? For possible breakup of Germany... Perhaps a possible SE Asian corporate puppet, if the germans decide that it's better to rule through corporations.

I think it would be good to keep some of the african revolter tags, especially if Portugal decides to go Syndicalist and starts granting more home rule to their colonies...

Getting minister will likely be an eternal problem, though...That reminded me, Von Falkenhayen ought to be in AOG.

:D Yes he should - I need constant reminding about this one!

The German Kingdoms was definitely something I was thinking of as a 'Phase II' of this whole domestic setup - I think I've already divided up the German ministers by region somewhere, and they all have a potential Head of State. As they states have quite a bit of autonomy before the war, it's not unreasonable to assume that they'd try to get some of this back - particularly if things in the Reich as a whole start to go a bit pear-shaped!

Italian Federation has a distinct lack of resources (even though their IC has been cut due to the split in Italy and because they have no African posessions)

Energy is at -60, metal is also down and oil is at +6 (giving them a little problem in redressing the blance).

Ayeshteni